• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Upselling ... Need Your Thoughts on This One

In summary, the presenters discussed how to make a recipe that consisted of $533 worth of products. They showed how to cook the chicken in a different way and how to use different tools to make the dish look easier. They also discussed how to sell the products.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
Tonight was our "pig fest" at our cluster meeting. We spent a lot of time discussing how we made the recipe, the total value of all the products, and what we did different from the recipe to "upsell."

I was one of the last presenters and gave my outline of how to make the Satay Chicken Pasta with $533 worth of products ... by cooking the pasta in the stock pot (the only pot available as open stock and the only PC pot I have that's large enough to cook the pasta) cooking the chicken in the DCB to show off stoneware, mixing the dressing in the classic batter bowl because I have one, spinning the pasta in the salad and berry spinner because dry pasta holds dressing better (thanks, Feriale Yan!) and since I don't have asian dressing, grating ginger on the microplane and using fresh pressed garlic.

A fellow consultant said that last season, she liked the "one pot" idea of the One Pot Pasta and questioned whether we should be cooking recipes that don't dirty a bunch of dishes. Our director agreed but said "upselling" is about using the higher priced item when possible ... you need a bowl, so why not use stainless steel instead of batter bowls ... you need a stone so why not use the DCB instead of the rectangular baker ... etc. And I pointed out that the first time I made this recipe, I cooked the chicken in my saute pan and it heated the kitchen up too much!

But I do have to admit that every time I make this dish, not all the dirty dishes will fit in the dishwasher! And I think when I make this at a show, that dirty dish tote is gonna be FULL if not overflowing!

Is it counter-productive to use this many tools just cuz you have them?

I think it is. I mean, showing the products is important, and I'm new so forgive me if I'm wrong, but we are trying to show people how to get in and out of the kitchen without all the muss and fuss, right? Selling the products is important. But, it seems to me the more cumbersome we make cooking, the people who don't enjoy cooking or would prefer to eat out, are going to just look and say, "yea, that's not for me, that's too hard". Especially for "newbie" guests, etc. you want to hook them first, get them that one thing they can't live without (deep covered baker, salad spinner, can opener) and you will get them to come back and try other things. We are definitely in the business to sell things, but we don't want to get them into that product that's going to sit in the box unopened because they don't feel that they have the time this month to try that recipe because it's just too hard.

At least this is the philosophy I've been kind of going with, and maybe it's wrong or I'm not presenting it right. I look forward to seeing what other's have to say.

I agree that we don't want to overwhelm them at the show. We just want to give them a little and make them want more. I don't like making it look hard to do what I do either. I like to show off products but make it look easy for anyone thinking of signing.
Granted I only have one recruit now, but I am hopeful.
I also like it to be a quick, easy, and inexpensive recipe so hosting looks easy!!

I agree!

If we make a recipe look too hard, they may decide against it. (Thinking, holy cow! I need all of THAT to make a recipe?!!) We can certainly cross sell and upsell using vivid word pictures rather than bringing EVERY POSSIBLE product for a recipe. Now, when you have a choice, choose the more expensive item to showcase. (Like you were saying, ss bowl rather than batter bowl....microplane grater rather than zesterscorer, etc.)

I would say pre-cook the chicken at home, talk about the DCB and all it's uses
Tell them that using the Salad Spinner on the pasta drys it more, so the dressing sticks better (that way you don't have to bring it with you...those who don't own it can talk about it)

I can make guacamole using over $900 in products. :)It doesn't make my recipes look any harder if I'm juicing a lemon I show the juicer and the press. If I need something chopped I use the knife and the chopper. I am always picking up garnishing tools and doing something to a fruit or veggie before I use it the way the recipe reads.Most times my dirty dish tote is full but thats ok because so are their order forms :)

I think over complicating a recipe is not a good thing. I agree...use the more expensive version or simply the one YOU like better (it does show). I like Teresa's approach of using this OR this. Both work great. This is how they are different. It gives choices and then they can decide what pieces they need now to complete the recipe. Many parts can be said vs shown as well. I think when we choose a few smaller items that are more the other option, it's a bit more subtle (Forged Cutlery, Stainless Bowls (if you have them of course), etc). Just because we are told to do something a certain way, doesn't mean we have to. It's our business. Plus, depending on the area you live in, too much can turn people off. They feel you are trying to "sell" to them and I am so thankful that my customers don't see me that way. They buy b/c they love the products and can see how much I love them.

I do more like Teresa. I guess that would be upselling - but I want to show the versatility of our products. I ALWAYS demo something that uses cookware, stoneware, forged cutlery, and SA....because I want them to be thinking not just products, but product collections. That keeps them buying, and keeps them hosting!

I have one lady, who has purchased from me for several years, and has had 2 very successful catalog shows ($700 range) - all to build her SA collection. She has most of what she wants in SA at this time, and just told me recently it's time for her to start building her Stoneware collection!:thumbup: (after we get her stoneware taken care of, we'll work on cookware or cutlery!;))

Hmmmm ... cooking the chicken at home ... wouldn't that mean buying the food for my host? I suppose I could ask the host to have it cooked in advance ....Honestly, I'd rather spend my "prep time" doing things like chopping the basil and most of the carrots and peppers .... or have the pasta cooked and draining.I do like the "wow" factor of the spinner and now that i have one, find myself looking for ways to show it off at every show ... I sold one of these puppies at my last show after a guest saw that it was like the spin cycle of your washer ... plus I can't see telling my guests that the pasta will hold the dressing better if it's dry, then draining the pasta in the collander (when I don't HAVE the collander set ... that's another motivation for using the spinner!) Don't have stainless steel either ...But it occured to me that this is a recipe that would HAVE to be done in a kitchen ... there is no way to transport all these elements to a room with no microwave, sink or counter space ...At the meeting, someone else used the dotts MEDIUM bowl to elevate my large bowl ... way to cross-sell!

Di_Can_Cook said:
Hmmmm ... cooking the chicken at home ... wouldn't that mean buying the food for my host?

At the meeting, someone else used the dotts MEDIUM bowl to elevate my large bowl ... way to cross-sell!

Teehee! Yep, I get the ingredients and they reimburse me at close. That way, I can preprep some items at home if I want to!

Great idea on using one bowl as a "stand" for another one! Obviously, I have seen that before but sometimes the stuff I have seen in the past escapes me! lol

I try to combine quick cooking with the upselling in mind. I always bring the SS bowls because they are so much lighter and I can fit more bowls in my kit than with the batter bowls.

For me, I would have cooked the chicken in the microcooker. If I want to sell the DDB, I pick up a $4.00 whole chicken, prep it and throw it in the microwave while I do the main recipe.

My aunt is doing a party for me tomorrow and she LOVES to cook. The amount of recipes she is doing will probably use half of the products in the catalog!! She and my uncle have done extremely well in life and I am looking at this party as a fun event. I would never allow any other host to chose so many recipes! She is going to have enough food for a Thanksgiving dinner!!

1. How can I effectively upsell to my customers?

To effectively upsell, it is important to first understand your customers' needs and preferences. This will allow you to make personalized recommendations that will be more likely to resonate with them. Additionally, make sure to highlight the additional benefits or features of the upgraded product or service to entice your customers.

2. What are some effective upselling techniques?

Some effective upselling techniques include bundling related products or services together, offering a limited time discount or promotion on the upgraded option, and utilizing social proof by showcasing positive reviews or customer testimonials. It is also important to listen to your customers and tailor your approach to their specific needs and interests.

3. How do I know when to upsell and when not to?

Knowing when to upsell and when not to can be tricky. The key is to not be too pushy or aggressive with your upselling tactics. Pay attention to your customers' body language and verbal cues to determine if they are open to hearing about additional options. If a customer seems hesitant or uninterested, it may be best to not push the upsell.

4. Is upselling ethical?

Yes, upselling can be ethical if done in a transparent and honest manner. It is important to provide accurate information about the upgraded product or service and not pressure customers into purchasing something they do not need or want. The goal of upselling should be to enhance the customer's experience and meet their needs, not just to make a sale.

5. How can I measure the success of my upselling efforts?

The success of upselling efforts can be measured by tracking the number of customers who accept the upsell, the increase in average order value, and the overall impact on your sales revenue. It is also important to gather feedback from customers to see if they were satisfied with the upsell and if it met their expectations. This can help guide future upselling strategies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sara Dawn
  • Bookings, Sales, Shows, Booths etc
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Cindycooks
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies