• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need help writing a form letter for a bad check?

In summary, the author is trying to get in touch with the person who wrote them a bad check, but they have not received a response. They are ready to take legal action if the check is not paid in a timely manner.
sburnside
Gold Member
I have tried several drafts to a hostess who wrote me a $200 check which bounced. I have contacted her via e-mail and phone and have received nothing but empty promises. I am now ready to send her a registered letter giving her a deadline to make full payment. Every time I type, my letter ends up sounding hateful and demeaning. Does anyone have a letter they've sent in this situation? I don't want to torment myself any longer in trying to develop this letter. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Get Family Lawyer from Quicken it has the proper forms on their for collections purposes. All you do is insert the persons name etc....

I'm not sure if this will help. I guess in would depend on the individual, family/friend.

Dear ,

I have still not received your check in the amount of $200.00 that was promised on (Date).

If I do not receive a check by (date) I have no other choice than to take legal action (or whatever you want to do).

Thank you in advance for settling this matter.

Sincerely

If you have Microsoft Word type the word "check" in the help box and some sample letters for bad checks will come up.

kdawn1124 said:
If you have Microsoft Word type the word "check" in the help box and some sample letters for bad checks will come up.

that is an AWESOME tip.. thanks for sharing with us all!!

Your welcome!

I have had problems with this as well. Here is what I do when someone writes a bad check. I call their bank everyday sometimes 2 or 3 times a day and verify funds on the account. Once they finally have money in there - I run down and cash the check. It may sound bad, but that is how you are going to get your money.

kdawn1124 said:
Wow! Thanks for that info!

I have been doing this for almost 4 years and I just (this past spring/summer) had my first bad check. Since she acted like she was gonna send payment right away, it ended up going past the 30 days return time for HO. It was just for the ice cream dipper and bamboo spoon set, so it's not worth it for me to pay to ship them back. So, I am out her shipping, and the NSF fee. I will keep the products to use as a giveaway.

But....$200 is a whole other story! I would send her a letter using certified/delivery confirmation and scare the crap out of her! She doesn't have the products?...I hope not!

I don't get them often, but sometimes you get those hosts who spend the money and then don't have the money to pay you and they have the products. Then they don't return your calls and don't answer the mail you send them. If they wrote the check then they are liable for it. Wouldn't you rather be out the $10 instead of the $200.

In some states writing a bad check that big is a felony. I wouldnt worry about being polite to her you need to get your money back.

I am with you on that. If you have already tried to be polite and nothing came of it - then go the bank route. And once you get your money, you can call her and let her know what you did if you want - she shouldn't get mad - she wrote the check to you so she knows she owes you the money.

Call your local District Attorney's office. There are different procedures for different states.

I know in Alabama you can turn the bad check over to the DA's office and they collect for you and you have to do nor pay NOTHING to get the process of collecting done.

In Alabama we do have to send a specific letter by certified mail giving them so many days to reply and then the DA's office will take over.

Call your local DA and get the procedures from them so you do not do a bunch of stuff and then find out you have to start over later b/c they have a different procedure that what you did.

Lori Pywtorak said:
I have had problems with this as well. Here is what I do when someone writes a bad check. I call their bank everyday sometimes 2 or 3 times a day and verify funds on the account. Once they finally have money in there - I run down and cash the check. It may sound bad, but that is how you are going to get your money.

I so the same thing. The only problem is when the account get's closed. This is an extremely effective way to get paid.

I have done that too but now my bank just sends a tiny copy of the check instead of the actual check.

I have to say though, in 5 years I have had at most 6 bad checks and every one of the people who wrote them paid me back immediately and had no problem adding the $5 my bank charges me for it.

I love that tip!!! Here is a sample:

[Company Name]
[Street Address]
[City, ST ZIP Code]
August 23, 2007
[Recipient Name]
[Title]
[Company Name]
[Street Address]
[City, ST ZIP Code]
Dear [Recipient Name]:
This is to inform you that the following check was returned to us due to insufficient funds:
Check number [number]
Dated [date]
Payable to pampered chef consultant
In the amount of [amount]
We request that you replace this check with a cash or money order payment immediately.
Unless we receive good funds for said amount within [number] days, we will begin appropriate legal action.
Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.
Sincerely,

[Your Title]
Certified mail, return receipt requested

I've been procrastinating on this all week. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm glad to know others have experienced this and finally received the money owed them. My certified letter goes out today!!

kdawn1124 said:
I just love getting to "learn something new everyday!" I bet that is one that even my really computer savvy hubby doesn't know about either!;) :rolleyes:
Thanks for the tip!:thumbup: ;) :balloon:

I don't want to highjack this theard but Microsoft has so many templates that you can use. They have some really cute coupon ones that I'm planning on using at my open house next month. I'm creating one for a free cooking show and one for free gift wrapping. Another fun template is their recipe cards. Here are some words that I type in to get some really cute ideas...

Check
Recipe
Family (if your child needs to make a family tree this will help)
Newsletter

Do you guys have the 2003 or 2007 version? I only have 2000 and didn't find them there.

I have 2003

I have 2000 and you have to go into the templates file folder to get it. Here is what it says:

You are hereby notified that a check, numbered [number], issued by you on [date], drawn upon [name of bank], and payable to , has been dishonored. Pursuant to [state] law, you have [number] days from receipt of this notice to tender payment of the full amount of such check plus a service charge of $[value] or an amount of up to [value]% of the face amount of the check, whichever is greater, the total amount due being $[value]. Unless this amount is paid in full within the time specified above, , as the holder of such check, may turn over the dishonored check and all other available information relating to the incident to the state attorney for criminal prosecution. You may be additionally liable in a civil action for triple the amount of the check, but in no case less than $[value], together with the amount of the check, a service charge, court costs, reasonable attorney fees, and incurred bank fees, as provided in §[section number of applicable law].

On my state's website, you can download a form letter and a brochure stating how it is illegal to write a bad check. I sent both to a customer once and got paid immediately.

I have one right now for 131.00 I contacted Our District Attorney's Office and they gave me a copy of a letter to use but I don't know how to post it

BethCooks4U said:
I have done that too but now my bank just sends a tiny copy of the check instead of the actual check.

I have to say though, in 5 years I have had at most 6 bad checks and every one of the people who wrote them paid me back immediately and had no problem adding the $5 my bank charges me for it.

My bank sends me the little black & white copy of the check too and banks take that (it's an official copy). I have had to take 2 of them to the guest's bank to get payment. Most of the time when I call they won't verify funds over the phone, but try different branches, especially the ones out here in the country, they tell you anything you want to know. :D

My letter is on its way to the hostess with the bad check. In the meantime, I again called the bank to check on funds - The account was closed this week. AAAAAAAAAH! I'm hoping the certified letter works.

What is a form letter for bad check?

A form letter for bad check is a standardized letter that is used by businesses to inform a customer that their check has bounced or been returned due to insufficient funds.

Why do I need to send a form letter for bad check?

Sending a form letter for bad check is necessary to notify the customer that their check was not honored and to give them an opportunity to rectify the situation. It also serves as a record of communication in case further action is needed.

Can I customize the form letter for bad check?

Yes, you can customize the form letter for bad check to fit the specific needs of your business. However, it is important to include all the necessary information such as the customer's name, the amount of the bounced check, and the reason for the return.

Do I need to send the form letter for bad check via mail?

While sending the form letter for bad check via mail is the most common method, you can also send it through email or hand-deliver it. Just make sure to get a confirmation of delivery for your records.

What should I do if the customer does not respond to the form letter for bad check?

If the customer does not respond to the form letter for bad check or does not make a payment to cover the bounced check, you may need to take further action such as reporting the check to a collection agency or pursuing legal action. It is always best to consult with your company's policies and procedures in these situations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• reagan_davis
  • Flyers and Letters
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • chef131doreen
  • Flyers and Letters
Replies
Views
janel kelly
  • melindag