• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Advice for Those Who Went to Big Island Hawaii.

it was the Kona Village Resort. I loved it- right on the beach and it was perfect for a family trip.
SilverCeladon
I'm planning a vacation to the Big Island for next year and I want to know where are the good places to stay. I know the Kona side is much sunnier. Any ideas? Thanks!

We went about 10 years ago - Stayed on the Kona side - not sure of the name of the hotel - it was excellent though - We were just amazed at how different it was from the other islands - they do a cute thing with white rock on the lava - Let me see if I can find some of my info and get back to ya!

We went for just one day because we flew over to visit a friend. We flew in on one side of the island and out of the other side. It was beautiful and my friend who lives there said Kona is the best place to stay. I don't know if I would stay 1 week there, we were in Hawaii for 2 weeks and went to 3 different islands. I wanted to move there, didn't want to come home.
Enjoy your trip :)

we went 2 summers ago for 8 days when our oldest graduated we stayed at one of the outrigger hotels near Kona (I can find out which one later) we were 100 yards from the beach it was gorgeous. we drove all around the island, did the green sand beach (a must)We buy the blue guide books by andrew doughty (they are the name of the island and then revealed) and use them religiously when in Hawaii, we buy them a few months ahead of time and we all read them and highlight things we want to do.we just got back yesterday from 10 days in Maui I actually thought the big island was prettier

Thanks! I have been to Maui, Oahu, and Kauai but now think it's time to do the Big Island. I would love the name of the Outrigger Hotel you stayed at. I actually have the "revealed" book but I wanted some information straight from the horses mouth.

Oh my God, I absolutely LOVE the Big Island. We went on a trip there earlier this year and it was just amazing. We went to Kona, Hilo, and also Waikiki on Oahu, and we loved Kona more than anything.

The "cute thing" with lava rock mentioned above is called coral graffitti, and it's all over the sides of the highway running through the Big Island. That's a wonderful (and free!) thing to do for a photo op - and to leave your mark, however temporary. Basically it's dead white coral (washed up on the beach) laid out on the black lava rock (all over the place but especially on the highway routes) to spell names and places like graffitti, but naturally.

Awesome things to do in and around Kona:

1) Check out the Kona Boys kayaking and snorkelling tour. I think it is $60 a person but SO WORTH IT. A quiet bay early in the morning and more tropical fish than I've ever seen.
2) The farmer's market! Open weekdays and Saturday.
3) Walking the "wall" between you and the ocean - it's made of lava rock.
4) Drive to the black sand beach - the name I'd have to look up - and see the sea turtles sunning themselves.
5) GREAT restaurants!

I could write a novel about my love for Kona and area - you can PM me for more and I'd be happy to share stories/pics/whatever you need. :)

Thanks so much! Where did you stay in Kona?

My parents just got back today from there anniversary vacation and they stayed in KONA a the Kona village resort I think she said. Right in the middle of everything and the Hotel view was amazing she said. She said she LOVED it, more than Kauai, if that's even possible! lol We loved Kauai and so did they... until KONA that is!

:love:The Hilton Waikaloha Resort. AKA Heaven. I would give almost anything for Pampered Chef to go back to that resort. It was my 2nd trip, and made me want to keep coming back.

First time we went to Kona we stayed at the Royal Kona Resort. It was before the renovation...and before the earthquake. I loved the location because we could walk everywhere. They had great prices and nice rooms.

Last time my dad went he stayed at the Sheratin Keauhau Bay. He said it was the best hotel he has ever stayed in...anywhere. He never stayed in the Waikaloha resort...

I love Kona.:love: Now, Waikiki is fun for it's shops, history and nightlife, but Kona is all around is above amazing. I know why my parents went 11 times in 15 years.

Keahou Beach (outrigger)We did the volcano and did the walk on the lava which goes on forever and was very treacherous at night.not much in hilo but i think around there was the green sand beach (WARNING no parking lot, no "this way to the beach signs", no restrooms) you just park and start walking FOREVER but so worth it. its on page 173 of the blue book.

Related to Need Advice for Those Who Went to Big Island Hawaii.

1. What are the must-see attractions on the Big Island of Hawaii?

The Big Island of Hawaii has a plethora of amazing attractions, but some of the top must-see spots include Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Mauna Kea Summit, Akaka Falls State Park, and the coffee farms in Kona. Don't forget to also check out the stunning beaches and snorkeling spots!

2. Is it necessary to rent a car on the Big Island?

While it is possible to get around the Big Island using public transportation or organized tours, it is highly recommended to rent a car. This will give you the flexibility to explore the island at your own pace and visit off-the-beaten-path locations.

3. What is the best time to visit the Big Island of Hawaii?

The Big Island is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit depends on your preferences. The summer months (June-August) tend to be busier and more expensive, but the weather is generally dry and sunny. The winter months (December-February) see more rain, but the island is less crowded and you may be able to find better deals. Spring and fall are great options for a balance of good weather and fewer crowds.

4. Are there any safety concerns on the Big Island of Hawaii?

The Big Island is generally a safe destination, but as with any place, it is important to use caution and common sense. Be aware of your surroundings, avoid leaving valuables in your car, and follow any safety warnings or closures at attractions.

5. What are some recommended local dishes to try on the Big Island?

The Big Island offers a diverse range of delicious local cuisine. Some must-try dishes include poke (raw fish salad), kalua pig (slow-roasted pork), and loco moco (rice, hamburger patty, fried egg, and gravy). Don't forget to also try some fresh tropical fruits, like pineapple and mango!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gaddischef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
gaddischef
  • Cindycooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lissahope26
  • hmolah