• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hilton Head or Tybee - Any Suggestions?

In summary, the couple is planning on celebrating their 30th anniversary in May by staying on Hilton Head Island. They are looking for a place that is not too expensive, preferably with a pool. They have been to Hilton Head twice and their husband prefers Hilton Head over Tybee Island. They also mentioned that they have stayed on HHI in the past and enjoyed it.
Cindycooks
Silver Member
I turn the big 5-0 next June and our 30th anniversary is May - so the end of May we are planning a week in Savannah but want to stay on HH or Tybee. Not the most expensive plushest place, but then something nice...preferably with a pool. We are looking at condos (need a kitchen) and B&B is out of the question (hubby wont do girly-girl). We definitely are gonna do the Paula Tour, eat at her place and also at Miss Wilkes and I have heard awesome things about The Crab Shack on Tybee too.

Anyone from there or who has been? We cant decide which island to stay on. We dont need golf or tennis!

We have been to HH twice since we have been married and DH has been there a few other times when he still lived at home.

Personally, I would stay on HHI. I love it there. We were down there in April for my brother's graduation from Parris Island. The rest of my family stayed close to the base, but we decided to make more of a vacation of the trip and stayed on HHI in Fiddler's Cove... had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo with a small kitchen. Wasn't huge, but big enough me, DH and the 3 kids for the week. There was a pool (didn't go since the walk to the ocean is so close) and tennis courts and and it is a 5 minute walk to the ocean. I honestly don't remember how much it was, but I can get you the rental company info if you are interested.

katie - we are supposed to have all sorts of stuff coming from both places - I'll remember the name and look it up. Googling it now. Sounds just like what we need, even one bedroom is plenty.

I think DH is preferring HH just because we already live 30 min from the beaches here in NC and HH would just be a little more upscale and different.

Last edited:
I have not been to Tybee Island in quite a few years. I definitely prefer Hilton Head. There is a lot more to do there!

katie - Im getting 3 different prices online for Fiddlers, depending on the rental company. Can you let me know which one you used? maybe with a referral they will cut me a break!

If you decide on a place you would like to stay, you might want to consider purchasing your vacation on eBay. We have done that three times with a resort in Daytona. The deals can be very good!

My mom is in HH now, she goes every year and they stay in a place on Turtle Lane Villa, I need to ask her the name of the condos. They have a 4 bedroom, her and "the golden girls" go every July. I haven't been since high school. We are going to Savannha next year, I am very excited.

Cindy - my parents have a 2BR condo on Hilton Head Island in Shipyard plantation, right on the golf course. There's a pool in the complex, and it's a 5 min. bike ride to the beach. It's GORGEOUS there, and I highly recommend staying on HHI. The plantations are nice, but some are more expensive than others. For example, anything in Sea Pines and Port Royal are going to be pricey, but Palmetto Dunes and Shipyard are more mid-level. There are also affordable places in the North and South Forest Beach areas, many right on the ocean. My parents are going to be retiring there next year, so their villa won't be available, but I can put you in touch with the rental company that they use and possibly get you some kind of referral discount (not sure). Email me at [email protected] if you want more info! I love HHI and we have gone there every year for the last 20 years!!

thank you Cathy! I THINK we have found a place! Thru a friend of a friend - we have found an oceanfront 1 bedroom condo with large balcony in the North Forest Beach area you are talking about - it has every amenity we want - including a hottub - for $600 for the whole week! We are beyond thrilled - weve seen pictures too and it looks fab. I will keep you in mind tho if for some reason this falls thru.

The people that own this are giving us ideas on where to go, what to do etc...and it is thru them, not a rental company which is one reason we are getting by so reasonable. Let me know tho, things you recommend too! We are so excited now! :)

Oh, Cindy - you will LOVE the North Forest Beach area!! It's so great there! The Coligny Plaza shopping area is awesome - there are cute boutiques, gift shops, and a delicious ice cream shop called "Frozen Moo" with a big cow in the window (the BEST ice cream ever!). There is also a Java Joe's where you can get coffee and internet service. My DH goes to the Coligny bakery every morning to get a paper and a doughnut, too (he's slightly addicted!). You'll probably want to make your way to some of the "Fresh Market" shoppes, too, across Rt. 278. There are some great affordable shops and the Fresh Market store is the best healthy grocery store on the island! I can never go to HHI without hitting the outlets, too - they're on the right just before you come on to the island. Lots of great shops. Sea Pines is fun to visit, too, if you want to see the Harbour Town lighthouse and window shop, but the stores there are UBER expensive. We hardly ever go there anymore - there are plenty of other places to go that don't cost an arm and a leg! Oh, and if you want to go to a great cocktail bar, try the Metropolitan Lounge near the Sea Pines circle - awesome drinks and a great "date" place! http://www.metropolitanlounge.com/

:)

cathyskitchen said:
Oh, Cindy - you will LOVE the North Forest Beach area!! It's so great there! The Coligny Plaza shopping area is awesome - there are cute boutiques, gift shops, and a delicious ice cream shop called "Frozen Moo" with a big cow in the window (the BEST ice cream ever!). There is also a Java Joe's where you can get coffee and internet service. My DH goes to the Coligny bakery every morning to get a paper and a doughnut, too (he's slightly addicted!). You'll probably want to make your way to some of the "Fresh Market" shoppes, too, across Rt. 278. There are some great affordable shops and the Fresh Market store is the best healthy grocery store on the island! I can never go to HHI without hitting the outlets, too - they're on the right just before you come on to the island. Lots of great shops. Sea Pines is fun to visit, too, if you want to see the Harbour Town lighthouse and window shop, but the stores there are UBER expensive. We hardly ever go there anymore - there are plenty of other places to go that don't cost an arm and a leg! Oh, and if you want to go to a great cocktail bar, try the Metropolitan Lounge near the Sea Pines circle - awesome drinks and a great "date" place! http://www.metropolitanlounge.com/

:)

I second that! I went to HHI for the first time summer before last & I'm in love! Can't imagine ever going to another beach. We rented a house in North Forest Beach. I love the area and the Coligny Plaza is awesome! AND, Java Joe's is the BEST! I'm sure you will have a fabulous time! :)

I love HH but it is a drive from Savannah. HH has lots of great shopping and we stayed at a hotel on the beach last time we went (gorgeous). Tybee is a nice area with lots of condos to stay at. The traffic too and from there is a little on the heavy side though. If you're going to Paula's downtown, get there early.

1. What are the best activities to do in Hilton Head or Tybee?

Both Hilton Head and Tybee offer a variety of activities, such as beachcombing, kayaking, and golfing. Hilton Head is known for its world-class golf courses, while Tybee has a more laid-back atmosphere with opportunities for fishing and dolphin watching. Both islands also have beautiful beaches perfect for relaxing and soaking up the sun.

2. Which island has better dining options?

Hilton Head is known for its upscale dining options, with numerous seafood restaurants and fine dining establishments. Tybee, on the other hand, has a more casual vibe with beachfront eateries and local seafood shacks. Both islands offer delicious and fresh seafood, so it ultimately depends on your dining preferences.

3. Are there any family-friendly activities on Hilton Head or Tybee?

Yes, both Hilton Head and Tybee have plenty of family-friendly activities. Hilton Head has a variety of kid-friendly attractions, such as miniature golf courses, water parks, and nature centers. Tybee also has a family-friendly atmosphere with activities like bike rentals and boat tours.

4. Which island is better for a relaxing vacation?

Both Hilton Head and Tybee are great options for a relaxing vacation. Hilton Head has a more upscale and luxurious feel, while Tybee offers a more laid-back and casual atmosphere. If you're looking for a quiet and peaceful getaway, either island would be a great choice.

5. What is the best time of year to visit Hilton Head or Tybee?

The best time to visit Hilton Head or Tybee depends on your preferences and what activities you plan on doing. The summer months (June-August) are the most popular times to visit, but they can also be the busiest and most expensive. Spring and fall offer milder temperatures and fewer crowds, making them great options for a visit. Winter is the least busy season, but the weather can be cooler and some businesses may have limited hours. Ultimately, it's best to research and decide based on your personal preferences.

Back