• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating the Bumps of Hosting: Dealing with a Bounced Check

In summary, Debbie advises charging the guest for their bounced check and advises talking to the host or person whose check bounced.
littlebeans
Do you charge them the bank fee too? I have done a total of five shows, and I must be getting all the difficult situations right off the bat! I feel like if it's not one thing, it's another! Man, now a bounced check! I know there are things I should have done first, like make them sign the check to the host and then the host write one to me. But the host had orders already and checks written to me. So, stupid me, I took them. I finalized the order, it should be HERE tomorrow. Now, I did have the order come to my house because I wanted to add little thank yous since this order has been open almost all month. So, I'm not passing the products over until I get the money. But how about charging them the bank fee? Can I do that??? And should I talk to the host or call the named person whose check bounced??

YES!!! They bounced the check, they pay the fee. I started off having the guests write the check to the host, but then I figured that wasn't fair to the host. If they bounce a check with me, I can add the fee to the balance since I own my business. The host may not do that because that could be the end to a friendship. Work with the customer as much as possible. If the show had been shipped to the host, I would call the host to ask them to hold the order for me so I could pick it up and hold it hostage until I got the payment. If I didn't get the payment within 29 days of the shipment date, I would make sure the customer knew that the order was going back.

Yes
littlebeans said:
Do you charge them the bank fee too? I have done a total of five shows, and I must be getting all the difficult situations right off the bat! I feel like if it's not one thing, it's another! Man, now a bounced check! I know there are things I should have done first, like make them sign the check to the host and then the host write one to me. But the host had orders already and checks written to me. So, stupid me, I took them. I finalized the order, it should be HERE tomorrow. Now, I did have the order come to my house because I wanted to add little thank yous since this order has been open almost all month. So, I'm not passing the products over until I get the money. But how about charging them the bank fee? Can I do that??? And should I talk to the host or call the named person whose check bounced??

Yes you get to charge the bounced check fees, any business would charge them a fee. Some are really steep like $50 for a bounced check, but based on what your bank charges, you get to charge her that plus the amount of the products. Be sure to write her a professional letter asking for the money if she gives you the run around but first try calling.
Explain the situation and that as soon as you get the cash or money order, DON'T TAKE ANYMORE CHECKS, you will deliver her products promptly. Hope it works out.

Debbie :D

I would say definitely charge them. I would call them now and let them know so that hopefully they can resolve it before the stuff arrives. Personally, I do the checks made out to the host unless it is a party with people I know... I figure it's going to be a lot easier for the host to track down her friends than it is for me to do it. And if they are your friends, I assume they would offer to pay the bank charge. I personally would not have qualms about telling a friend that they needed to reimburse me the amount of the check plus the bank fees

Once happened to me.YES! I contacted the host first and then the guest. I cc'd the host with anything I said to the guest. I was not able to stop her order from being delivered, but the host helped me, by holding it for me and saying that she needed to contact me. I was lucky. She paid the fee and for her order.
3 years and that was my only bad experience...

So hopefully I will just get these bad things out of the way right from the beginning!

I generally keep the host out of it--it's really none of her business. I always pass along the $10 fee that my bank charges me and no one has argued with me on that.

I've had one bounced check in the last year and I added the $15 bank fee onto the order. I had misplaced the check and it wasn't deposited until after the order was delivered. I tried repeatedly to call the customer, but only got the host involved after I couldn't get the customer. But I didn't tell the host was the problem was... just that I needed to talk with the customer about the order.
I will take checks from customers, but almost always (this was the only time) deposit the checks and make sure they clear BEFORE I submit the show. That way I know the $$ is there and don't have to worry about being out any $$.

If I don't know who I am taking a check from, I take it to their bank(s) & cash it before I submit the show. Sure, it takes time, but I just do it anyway.

I did have one where the bank was a 2 branch bank & both were too far away, so I just called to see if it was good at present. Because of privacy laws, they wouldn't tell me over the phone, but allowed me to email a copy of the check & then they called me back. That one was for about $80. If the order is small, then I just deposit it.

Why do you take it to their bank? With so many banks using EFT now, it only takes about 24 hours to clear a check. Just take them to you bank, wait for a day for them to clear and then submit the show after. Otherwise, you are spending more time and $$ on gas to get your payments.

I also take the cks to their bank because if its a bad ck then it will get charged to me on my acount, if its a bad ck then their bank just will say I can not cash this now , so I try again in a day or so if I still can't cash it I then call the guest.
I had a show in April th CC was not going through so the guest sent me a ck then the check came back to me ISF with a 10.00 charge. she keeps saying she is going to send me th 48.00 but still not yet. The sad thing is she ordered on line and had the products sent stright to herself
I emailed th Host and told her she eimailed the guest also awhile a go I think its time to let the Host know again I DON:T WANT TO EAT THE 48.00 but I think I may GRRRRRRRRRR.....

Chef Endora said:
If I don't know who I am taking a check from, I take it to their bank(s) & cash it before I submit the show.

Most banks around here charge a fee to do that if your account is not with them.

1. What should I do if a check bounces at my Pampered Chef party?

If a check bounces at your Pampered Chef party, the first step is to reach out to the host and inform them of the bounced check. It's important to handle the situation with professionalism and understanding. You can suggest alternate forms of payment, such as cash or a different credit card, to the host.

2. Is there a specific process I should follow when dealing with a bounced check?

Yes, there are some steps you should take when dealing with a bounced check. First, contact the host and inform them of the bounced check. Then, give them a specific deadline to provide another form of payment. If they fail to do so, you may need to contact Pampered Chef's customer service for further assistance.

3. Can I still receive my commission if a check bounces at a party?

Yes, you can still receive your commission for the party even if a check bounces. However, you may need to wait until the host provides a different form of payment or until the issue is resolved with Pampered Chef's customer service.

4. How can I prevent bounced checks from happening at my parties?

To prevent bounced checks from happening at your parties, it's important to have clear payment policies in place. Make sure to communicate these policies to the host before the party. You can also consider using alternative forms of payment, such as online payments or credit card readers, to minimize the risk of bounced checks.

5. What should I do if a host repeatedly bounces checks at my parties?

If a host repeatedly bounces checks at your parties, it may be necessary to have a conversation with them about finding a more reliable form of payment. You can also consider implementing a policy that requires upfront payment before the party or only accepting certain forms of payment to avoid future issues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gailz2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • vhadley
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • ChefJoyJ