• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant Grr--Bounced Check--How to Approach Them??

In summary, Suzy's check for an order she placed with a repeat host and coworker bounced. The bank hit her with a $10 fee, so she's trying to get cash from the customer.
gailz2
Gold Member
I know better, I normally have all checks written to the host then have them write me one check or charge it. However, this was a repeat host, repeat coworker/guest of hers, and she has booked a party for March. And, did I mention, she bounced a check. And the bank hit me with a $10 fee.

How do or have you approached this to the guest/host???

Just call up the guest and let them know about the check (they may have already gotten bank notification as well). Tell them you'll need cash or a money order and that you are including the bank fee of $10 as well. I wouldn't involve the host and not make a big deal. I've only had one check bounce from a host and she was quick to get me the money and cover the fee- most people are.

Just be straight forward about it. Being professional is key.

"Hi Suzy, I just got notice from my bank that the check for your order was returned (don't say bounced, it's got a negative connotation). The total of the check was $xx.xx and there's a $10 fee. Could you provide me with cash by Monday to cover the payment? Thank you!

Who knows, someone could have stolen her bank info, or something else could have happened that's out of her control. The one returned check I had, the guest's husband's paycheck bounced. :eek:

Thanks, Gina. I tried calling her, but the recording says to call back--they are experiencing "network difficulties". I'll keep trying.

Has she already gotten the products? If you can't get ahold of her and she hasn't gotten the products, then call the hostess and tell her you will pick them up and deliver them for her.

You might call your bank and ask them to waive the fee... I worked for a bank for 10 years and if you're polite and ask really nicely (and if they haven't waived the fees for you in the past), they might reverse out the fee for you. :)

Rut-ro. Sounds like they had something unexpected come up, and their phone may be about to be disconnected as well.I'd give it a couple of days and try again.For future reference, try taking all checks to the bank where they are drawn. I do this whenever possible, no matter how small. The one time I had someone tell me there was insufficient funds, the host called the customer. Turns out she had THOUSANDS in the bank and just assumed that they'd take the money out of her other account to cover it!

I have gone to the person's bank to cash a check in the past if I had a feeling it wouldn't clear. Some banks charge a fee when cashing a check if you don't have an account there so check first. They will tell you if the account has funds to cover it though so you can then go to your bank and quick get it in...

In 8 years I have always preferred the checks be written to me and I've probably had 6 checks come back and every one of those people paid me immediately never questioning the fee and one even gave me a little extra for my trouble. Just don't be accusing when you call.

I prefer the checks written to me because if they're written to the host that's one more thing for her to think about AND if the check for the whole show bounced it would be a much bigger deal for both her and me.

I require checks AFTER the show to be written to the host. Those are people I don't know, so I do feel safer, but also b/c it is simply easier. I live a bit out of town and it is easier to close if she can just give me a debit card over the phone.

I agree with Gina, I would just call and explain the situation. She may be a little embarrased, but I'm sure that she will just give you the cash plus the $10 fee. I know I would.

lesliec said:
I require checks AFTER the show to be written to the host. Those are people I don't know, so I do feel safer, but also b/c it is simply easier. I live a bit out of town and it is easier to close if she can just give me a debit card over the phone.

I do this too unless the host is within 30 minutes of me. Otherwise it delays closing of the party.

I've called people and gotten similar error messages. A few days later, it was fine. Maybe it's just one of those things. Hope you reach her, soon.

Hope this doesn't overdraw your account. I know I keep VERY little cash in my PC account, so it would overdraw mine!

BethCooks4U said:
I do this too unless the host is within 30 minutes of me. Otherwise it delays closing of the party.
What are you referring to when you say "delays closing the party"? I always have all checks wrote out to the host after the party and the host gives me one large payment with a credit card or debit card over the phone. I've never had a problem with this and it's much easier for me and my hosts!

the only check that ever bounced for me so far was from the host. She asked me to hold it for a week, I held it for three and it still bounced!! So glad I didn't require one check from her. Her check thankfully was small (around $30) and I wrote it off. I have made sure that she is not on any of my mailing lists. It was at the end of the year and easier to write it off as a loss on taxes.

Reality is, that small show was my 4th and qualifying show. I believe I submitted it on my 89th day. I had started off with gusto, had parties lined up, then my husband lost his job and wound up hospitalized for two weeks. My priorities at that time took a sudden left turn. He finally found a job three months ago and I can put more time into PC. Now I don't have to worry about being the sole breadwinner. For a long time my reality was that I HAD to keep that steady regular income that I could count on. Thank God for Medicad and Food Stamps. They were a godsend at the time. I am proud to say that we "graduated" off of them last month.

wadesgirl said:
What are you referring to when you say "delays closing the party"? I always have all checks wrote out to the host after the party and the host gives me one large payment with a credit card or debit card over the phone. I've never had a problem with this and it's much easier for me and my hosts!

What I meant by that is if the checks were made out to me it would delay things while we waited for the mail for me to get those checks. I do have after the show outside orders made out to the host to avoid that - or ask for all plastic.

I want to know what bank you use that only charges $10?!?!? Man...I wish! $35 is what I get socked. I haven't quite built up enough to have alot of extra "overdraft" funds in a savings account...but I do try to have a "cushion".

BethCooks4U said:
What I meant by that is if the checks were made out to me it would delay things while we waited for the mail for me to get those checks. I do have after the show outside orders made out to the host to avoid that - or ask for all plastic.

That's what I was wondering but wasn't reading it that way!

lt1jane said:
the only check that ever bounced for me so far was from the host. She asked me to hold it for a week, I held it for three and it still bounced!! So glad I didn't require one check from her. Her check thankfully was small (around $30) and I wrote it off. I have made sure that she is not on any of my mailing lists. It was at the end of the year and easier to write it off as a loss on taxes.
Why didn't you ask the host?! I suppose if she told you to cash it a week and you waited three, maybe she thought you already took the money out of there. This is why I have all the host give me a debit card or credit card over the phone. Declined cards are easier to deal with than bounced checks.

esavvymom said:
I want to know what bank you use that only charges $10?!?!? Man...I wish! $35 is what I get socked. I haven't quite built up enough to have alot of extra "overdraft" funds in a savings account...but I do try to have a "cushion".
I use a local bank and they only charge $7 plus tax for returned checks.

it was the HOST's check that bounced! Why didn't I contact her? I was working full-time, taking care of a 2 year-old, and dealing with my husband's illness. I had my hands full. It was December and just was more than I could deal with at the time. I wrote it and the bank fees off as a business loss. I know it cost her in overdraft fees too, so she didn't get off scott free. I will not contact her again and if she orders through another party, it will be cash or credit card only for her. To me, it was a "bless and release" situation.

What should I do if I receive a bounced check from a customer?

If you receive a bounced check from a customer, the first step is to contact the customer and inform them of the situation. You can ask them to provide a new form of payment or to cover the fees associated with the bounced check. If the customer does not respond or refuses to cover the fees, you may need to seek legal action.

Is there a fee associated with a bounced check?

Yes, there is typically a fee associated with a bounced check. This fee can vary depending on your bank and the amount of the check. It is important to keep track of these fees and include them in your follow-up with the customer.

Can I still accept checks from this customer in the future?

It is ultimately up to your discretion whether or not you want to continue accepting checks from this customer. However, it is recommended to proceed with caution and consider implementing stricter payment policies for this customer.

What are the consequences for a customer who writes a bounced check?

The consequences for a customer who writes a bounced check can vary depending on the situation. They may be responsible for covering the fees associated with the bounced check, and in some cases, legal action may be taken against them. It is important to communicate with the customer and document the situation.

How can I prevent bounced checks in the future?

To prevent bounced checks in the future, you can implement stricter payment policies, such as requiring payment in cash or credit/debit card only. You can also consider using electronic payment methods to avoid the risk of bounced checks. It is also important to keep accurate records and follow up with customers who have a history of writing bounced checks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • vhadley
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
NooraK
Replies
Views
3RingChef