• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating an Awkward Host Request: What Now?

In summary, the host tells the consultant that she is doing the show to help out and that she expects to be given free products as a result. The consultant tells the host that PC sets the prices and that there are no markups on the consultant's end. The host gets free products and shipping for her three orders, but if the host doesn't pick up any more orders, the consultant will refund her in full.
TheFreddiesCook
How do you handle a host who tells me the story of how she works 3 jobs, and hopes "I'll be fair in the pricing because she did the show to help me out" ..??????? What??? :confused::confused::confused::eek:

If worse comes to worse I think I'll end up telling her I can't submit her order and I don't know how to handle the way I know she will react... HELP! What do you do in cases like this?:yuck:

She's the HOST of a show and she said that?? Doesn't she think FREE and 50%/60% off is fair enough??Tell her what the Host benefits are..and don't give her anything else. PC is EXTREMELY generous to their hosts.Have you already finished her show and know the sales and what she's going get? What is she expecting? All of it free? She can certainly select ONLY enough that would be in the Free Product. :) she doesn't have to get more than that.

She told me she knew how to throw a party when I tried to coach her about her guest list... She ended up not inviting a lot of people. There were 3 people at her show. And a few small outside orders... It was very weird, though... I... am not sure what she was expecting.

We discussed her benefits and she saw on my computer what she had earned and selected her items. Her family placed 3 orders in one so they would only had to pay one shipping, and to that she added a friends order so she (the friend) wouldn't have to pay shipping. I explained her shipping was free, so she knows she is not paying for shipping. So I guess she'll only be able to get the free stuff. I hope she doesn't ask me to pay the tax or anything else with the excuse that she was doing the show to help me out... Weird...:eek:

even if she DOES...tell her you can't afford to do that. She probably thinks you make some ridiculous amount. If she has direct-sales experience with other consultants...she may incorrectly think you get 50% commission or something (like some do- BUT she doesn't realize why..).Stick to your guns. She obviously didn't do you any favors. And if she gets snotty, just tell her honestly! If it was only a $200 commissionable sales on the show for example, tell her... "I only am making about $40 on this show, before my expenses of catalogs, gas, etc" Who cares! She obviously isn't really the type of host you are going to want to foster a long-term relationship with anyway. I wouldn't give her anything else. If any of those customers have issues with products- it's going to be an even bigger headache for you since they were so ethical and combined their shipping. (I'd actually print duplicates of the receipts- so everyone has a copy. They'll need it for warranties.)I'm sorry this happened to you, but you don't owe her a thing. *Sorry...do I sound cranky? :D* I'm not- but it annoys me when people are so rude and try to take advantage of us just because we, in THEIR eyes, don't have a real job.

TheFreddiesCook said:
"I'll be fair in the pricing because she did the show to help me out"

This makes it sound to me like she thinks you determine the prices. Since a lot of DS companies work differently in that the consultant gets the payment from the customer and then only pays her cost to the company, pocketing the difference, many people believe we have more flexibility with the prices.

I have to say, if someone tried to pull the guilt trip card on me, saying they did the show to help me out, I'd be tempted to respond "Oh, thanks! I do appreciate my hosts very much, but I don't have to twist arms and break legs to get shows" with a sweet smile.

Just let her know that PC sets the price. There are no markups on your end, so you can not adjust pricing. Let her know what she's earned free, and that her shipping is free too.

If it makes a difference in her levels, let her know that by placing her friend's order on her host order, she's losing guest sales and hence reducing her overall rewards.

Tell her you appreciate her hosting a show and helping you expand your biz. That you love that PC rewards its hosts so well. Should she want to pick up more orders to take advantage of the host rewards, you'll give her til Thursday. :D

LOL - ya'll are too nice.
(My barks worse than my bite- at least tonight.)

LOL Bobbi....I'm not always mistaken for nice. For guests/hosts, I like to kill em with kindness....I make it an amusing game to keep me from having a =X kind of moment.

I tend to bite without barking. But it takes a while to get me there. ;)

She called last night, and agreed to pay the amount. She is stopping by today to pay with a check... But I don't want to do any other business with her. And I want to close the show today... I won't give her any more days. It's done. The whole thing was a weird experience, from the time she booked, the show, and then yesterday...:yuck:

TheFreddiesCook said:
She called last night, and agreed to pay the amount. She is stopping by today to pay with a check... But I don't want to do any other business with her. And I want to close the show today... I won't give her any more days. It's done. The whole thing was a weird experience, from the time she booked, the show, and then yesterday...:yuck:

I'd make sure that check clears the bank (or cash it at her bank) before you submit the order.

I'm with Linda on this one - clear the check before you submit the show! Fastest way to do that is to take it to her bank (or a branch of it) to cash it, then deposit the cash in your account.

I am with Ann and Linda with that one. It too was the first thing I thought of. She sounds like a real winner and I would not put anything past her. I know it would be tempting to just go a head and submit without it clearing even if it is a small check, but if it does not, it will cost a lot more than the time it takes to wait for it.

My husband took her check to deposit it, but forgot.. So I went ahead and sent the show, but I am having everything shipped to me, instead of to her. So I will not deliver anything until the check clears.

Smart move. :) That's the other great alternative if you aren't sure if a check is going to clear.

babywings76 said:
Smart move. :) That's the other great alternative if you aren't sure if a check is going to clear.

I'm with Amanda too. Smart move on your part.

Looks like you took everyone's advice and added your own good spin to it. I hope the check clears so you can put this experience behind you.

1. What should I do if the host requests a specific type of party that I am uncomfortable with?

If the host requests a type of party that you are uncomfortable with, it's important to communicate openly and honestly with them. Let them know that while you value their request, you are not comfortable hosting that type of party. Offer alternative options that you are comfortable with, such as a virtual party or a smaller gathering.

2. How do I handle a host who keeps changing the party date and time?

If the host keeps changing the party date and time, it's important to set boundaries and communicate your availability clearly. Let the host know that you have a busy schedule and can only accommodate a certain date and time. If the host continues to change the date and time, it may be best to politely decline hosting the party.

3. What should I do if the host wants to invite more guests than I am comfortable with?

If the host wants to invite more guests than you are comfortable with, it's important to communicate your concerns with them. Let them know that while you appreciate their enthusiasm, there may not be enough space or resources to accommodate a larger party. Offer alternative options such as splitting the party into smaller groups or hosting a virtual party to accommodate more guests.

4. How do I handle a host who wants me to showcase specific products or recipes?

If the host wants you to showcase specific products or recipes, it's important to be open and flexible. While it's important to showcase the host's favorite products or recipes, it's also important to showcase a variety of products and recipes to appeal to all guests. Offer to incorporate a mix of the host's favorites and other popular products or recipes.

5. What should I do if the host requests a party theme that I am not familiar with?

If the host requests a party theme that you are not familiar with, it's important to do your research and educate yourself on the theme. You can also reach out to other consultants or your team leader for tips and ideas. Embrace the theme and use it as an opportunity to learn and expand your knowledge and skills as a consultant.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchef.angel
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
monicag
  • TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • grgann