• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Nastiest Kitchen Ever: A Party Host's Hygiene Fail

In summary, the host's kitchen was extremely dirty and the floors and counters were covered in dirt and dog hair. The sink looked like it belonged in someones garage or laundry room. The host offered to wash the dishes three times, but the guest declined. The guest felt dirty after visiting the host's home.
Jenni
Ok~ first let me say I'm not a clean freak or a germ stresser. Last night at my party the host had the nastiest kitchen I have ever been in. She had fresh fruit just cut open on the counter with trash sitting next to it. The sink looked like it belonged in someones garage or laundry room. The floor was covered in dirt and dog hair. She has five dogs and the only room they are allowed in is the kitchen. I am a huge fan of dogs have to love them! (they are like my kids) Just gross, I didn't want to use the stove or the sink. Ugh just nasty! I can't belie she invited people to her house.
Anyone ever had to deal with this? I was just waiting for roaches to crawl across the floor :yuck:. She offered to wash the dishes like three times. I was like no thank you, my son will be sad if I come home with clean dished he gets paid to was them :rolleyes:

I did once! I drove 1 1/2 hours for a show. She had to clear off the counters just so I could even make the recipe and then had to clear off the kitchen table for me to set up in. There were piles of junk every where and the carpet was nasty! I had taken my niece with me since the drive was so far and I felt very bad for her. I'm not the neatest person but if I have people coming over, I clean.

Had a show once kind of like this.....I put my shoes back on b/c the floor was dirty. My feet kept sticking to it and then I looked I the bottom of my foot and there was food stuck to it!!!!YUCK!

That is just wrong, you would think people would have more pride in there home when someone else is coming in for a show.

You would think they would have pride in their homes period. I know that we always clean up "extra" when people are coming but I am okay with unexpected guests as well....

PCSarahjm said:
Had a show once kind of like this.....I put my shoes back on b/c the floor was dirty. My feet kept sticking to it and then I looked I the bottom of my foot and there was food stuck to it!!!!YUCK!

EWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!:yuck:
Disgusting, but I have to admit & I laughed pretty hard when I read that.

Ewwwwwwwwwww.

I can't believe the way some people live:yuck:. Did she say anything about her house being dirty? My house is always okay enough for people come come in but when I know I am having people over I clean even more. Did you take a shower when you got home being in that kind of house makes me feel dirty.

my director did a show for a woman with 13 cats in a 1-bedroom apartment! she hosed down everything she got home from the show.

ick ick ick!

I have to admit I don't keep the "neatest" house - too busy! But clutter and filth are two different things. ...and I won't have people over with either going on. I HAVE to clean before they come or I'd be SO embarrassed!On the latter note, I've been trying to find time to "de-clutter". I have so much that needs organizing! I need a clean sweep!I am also thankful my hosts have had very clean homes - most immaculate!

susanr613 said:
my director did a show for a woman with 13 cats in a 1-bedroom apartment! she hosed down everything she got home from the show.

ick ick ick!

That icky and unlucky. ;)

Chef Michelle D said:
I can't believe the way some people live:yuck:. Did she say anything about her house being dirty? My house is always okay enough for people come come in but when I know I am having people over I clean even more. Did you take a shower when you got home being in that kind of house makes me feel dirty.

She never once said excuse the mess.... or anything like it! I have worked with her for five years and had never been to her house. The scary part is she loves to bake and brings stuff in all the time to work. I'm never going to be able to eat it again after seeing her kitchen.

How were sales? Were her friends turned off by this too, or were they used to it?

You might think twice about bookings off this party if her friends didn't mind!

janetupnorth said:
I have to admit I don't keep the "neatest" house - too busy! But clutter and filth are two different things. ...and I won't have people over with either going on. I HAVE to clean before they come or I'd be SO embarrassed!

On the latter note, I've been trying to find time to "de-clutter". I have so much that needs organizing! I need a clean sweep!

I am also thankful my hosts have had very clean homes - most immaculate!

I agree with you 100% Janet - I am trying so hard to de-clutter my home, too. I wonder if we could set up an online challenge, like everyone does with the weight loss... Not sure how we could measure our progress, though.

I would also recommend checking out flylady.net - I have heard she has some good tips for getting chaos under control.

Anyway, end hijack - I am glad I have never had a show under those conditions! :)

janetupnorth said:
I have to admit I don't keep the "neatest" house - too busy! But clutter and filth are two different things. ...and I won't have people over with either going on. I HAVE to clean before they come or I'd be SO embarrassed!

On the latter note, I've been trying to find time to "de-clutter". I have so much that needs organizing! I need a clean sweep!

I'm there too. I've been trying to work on it, but with kids 6, 3 & 2, it just doesn't get done.

I bought a book called The House that Cleans itself... Now, if I could just find it to start reading where I left off... :rolleyes::blushing:

janetupnorth said:

I have a friend that needs to de-clutter her house so bad. I told her to start with one room at a time. I sugested she get a notebook and write done what needs to be done in that room and tackle one thing at a time. Once she has completed each item to cross it off. That way you can see your progress and stay on track. I hope this helps, sorry for the hijack.

Chef Michelle D said:
I have a friend that needs to de-clutter her house so bad. I told her to start with one room at a time. I sugested she get a notebook and write done what needs to be done in that room and tackle one thing at a time. Once she has completed each item to cross it off. That way you can see your progress and stay on track. I hope this helps, sorry for the hijack.

It's starting the task when it's sunny out! ;)
My bedroom is on my list first - easiest to clean and I figure if I wake up in a clean room, the day starts better.

I was good, I cleaned my office at work before I went to NC and vacation. I did so well when I came back into work I forgot I cleaned it and almost thought someone else did! It was GREAT to sit down and focus!

I had a show in a gross house. There were dirty winter snow boots in front of the stove and it was July. No carpet just plywood and there were dead bugs in the fridge and no place to set anything. There were many empty beer cases in the kitchen though. She signed up to sell. Her friend ask me to do her show because she was worried about her cooking. Needless to say did not last long. So I did another show the next spring. (I was very pregnant...) Still no carpet now adding a bedroom in the living room for mom and the front door did not shut . The dog came in with a dirty q-tip and dropped it on my foot. I about lost my supper. I told my director who originally gave me the show(thanks) and she said the sisters was worse a scoop shovel in the middle of the kitchen full of garbage. How does this seem like an ok living condition for adults or children.

Ick - I had one of these, too. She was "vacuuming" when I showed up, but she was using the vacuum to push stuff under her sofa at the same time!!! Her kitchen was a MESS, and the bags of food had been sitting on her kitchen floor since she got home from the store (over an hour prior, according to her!). EWW! Thankfully, it wasn't meat or anything - we did the Lime Berry Mousse Trifle, so it was probably good that she didn't put the whipped topping in the freezer again.

I had the heebie-jeebies for days after that. Her hubby came home at the end, and that's when the "lightbulb" went off - what a sloberino!! :(

I had one where the kitchen wasn't dirty to look at, just clutter; however, the smell was terrible! They had dogs as well and puppies in the room right next to the kitchen. It was the smell of about 50 wet, dirty dogs! I had to take a shower when I got home:)!

My best friends house was so bad one day that I just told her. I asked if her laundry was moldy cause her house smelled bad. I told her not to worry I'd help her clean it up, and I did. My home is clean, if it isn't I'm in a very bad mood :(

With that said messy and dirty are very different. There is no excuse for dirt!!! This is one of the main reason why I do catty shows, can't stand going into peoples dirty homes.

I did a show one time that was booked from a very close friend of mine. I should have known when my friend had 17 excuses to not show up. I got there and I had NEVER seen anything like this. It was horrid, imagine dirty dishes on the counters, in the sink, on the stove, etc. There were 4 dogs, 3 cats 2 fish tanks (i don't know about fish b/c I couldn't see inside them) birds, a snake ( in a tank) and 3 small diaper wearing children. They smoked throughout the entire show. The house stunk so bad, it was horrid. I got home and thankfully I lived in the country at the time, b/c I stripped naked OUTSIDE before going in and showering...I washed my clothes 2 or 3 times before drying them and I NEVER called the girls mom to do her show b/c her mom told her daughter how nice her house looked and that she was happy that she cleaned it for the party...um...WHAT?????
I, like Janet, have clutter, but that is it. My house is clean. I just get clutter b/c I am either too busy running places or too busy "working" on the computer (code word for Chef Success :D)
I feel for you, it is a BAD situation to be disgusted by someone's home!!

janetupnorth said:

I'm exactly the same way, soooooo much clutter! I am a major pack-rat due to genetics, so our house is just stuffed to the brim! But, it is basically clean. I have a 11 month old who puts anything in his mouth, so I have to make sure I keep the floors really clean or he will! :eek: LOL

chefshawna said:
I'm exactly the same way, soooooo much clutter! I am a major pack-rat due to genetics, so our house is just stuffed to the brim! But, it is basically clean. I have a 11 month old who puts anything in his mouth, so I have to make sure I keep the floors really clean or he will! :eek: LOL
It's crazy that I had time to vaccuum every day when my youngest was still crawling around. He put everything in his mouth, so every morning before I took him out of the high chair, I vaccuumed the dining room and living room. Now I barely take the time to vaccuum once a week. (I do it, but it may end up being more than 7 days apart.) I heard a nasty story about someone's show. Last year at conference during the Executive banquet ChefBeckyD's director's director told a good one. Maybe she'll share later.

JAE said:
It's crazy that I had time to vaccuum every day when my youngest was still crawling around. He put everything in his mouth, so every morning before I took him out of the high chair, I vaccuumed the dining room and living room. Now I barely take the time to vaccuum once a week. (I do it, but it may end up being more than 7 days apart.) I heard a nasty story about someone's show. Last year at conference during the Executive banquet ChefBeckyD's director's director told a good one. Maybe she'll share later.

Sure, I missed a good story by changing wave's last year...was that Sherri's story? I might have heard it after the fact.

I think it was Betsy's.

I did a show in the nastiest smelling house - it was dirty too - but the smell was overwhelming. I couldn't believe she would invite people in...and I wondered if I was the only one almost passing out from the fumes.....

It was so bad that when I got home I had to wash everything in my kit - and wash my kit...and take a shower, and send my wool coat to the cleaners, because the smell wouldn't come out!:yuck::yuck::yuck:

I've never been able to figure out what that smell was....

I had a show like this just last month...
When I walked in, the kitchen had dishes all over it, in both sides of the sink, there were old yogurt containers in the corners of the floor (must have missed the garbage when attempting to toss in), then I went into the dining room area, there was so much dust, dog hair on the floor, I bet she hadn't vacuumed in literally 6 months. They were all walking around barefoot (host and kids) and their feet were black. My feet stuck to the carpet. It was like nothing I've ever seen.

I am in no means a neat freak. I vacuum daily because as I read in another post I just got in the habit when my dd was a baby so now I don't like the floor not swept. (we also have 2 cats and it's not good walking on furry carpet!) My kitchen is usually free from dirty dishes in the sink. But it is LIVED IN..not dirty or filthy! I don't know how you could have someone YOU HAVE NEVER MET in a house like that.

I was also embarrassed for the THREE guests that showed up- she prob didn't have more come because they didn't want to be in that house! Not to mention that the host could only get $90 in orders and that was it, I had to clump them together and direct ship them.

chefsteph07 said:
I had a show like this just last month...
When I walked in, the kitchen had dishes all over it, in both sides of the sink, there were old yogurt containers in the corners of the floor (must have missed the garbage when attempting to toss in), then I went into the dining room area, there was so much dust, dog hair on the floor, I bet she hadn't vacuumed in literally 6 months. They were all walking around barefoot (host and kids) and their feet were black. My feet stuck to the carpet. It was like nothing I've ever seen.

I am in no means a neat freak. I vacuum daily because as I read in another post I just got in the habit when my dd was a baby so now I don't like the floor not swept. (we also have 2 cats and it's not good walking on furry carpet!) My kitchen is usually free from dirty dishes in the sink. But it is LIVED IN..not dirty or filthy! I don't know how you could have someone YOU HAVE NEVER MET in a house like that.

I was also embarrassed for the THREE guests that showed up- she prob didn't have more come because they didn't want to be in that house! Not to mention that the host could only get $90 in orders and that was it, I had to clump them together and direct ship them.

The show I started this thread about only hit $145 I added something to get it to $150... and no bookings! Which is good ;)

i used to be a maid and i hated every minute of it. some people think just because they have a maid come in that they dont have to do anything. one house was so bad i refused to go back. it was awful!

susanr613 said:

ick ick ick!

oh my. I can just hear her talking about it, too....I'll have to ask next time I see her. LOL.

I had a show last Sat and I swear I about gagged and just left.... First off the house SMELLED.....and then the woman had 5 dogs running around the house and they were NOT house trained...so they were peeing and pooping on the floor ( hence the stench when you walked in.)

The carpet was a cream colored carpet and it almost looked black it was so nasty. I didn't even want to set my kit down, but I put it up on the counter. Which was nasty too. She had not been able to find anyone to watch her kids, so they were there running around getting into my kit causing trouble. She was yealling and swearing at them the ENTIRE time.....

I didn't even do my show like I usually do....I just wanted to get it done with and leave. She only had 3 people there and they looked a little rough. I ended up with only $40 total in show orders....so not even enough to count as a show. So it was a complete waste of my time.....but at least I was already in town and didn't drive 30 min out to her home to do this for her.

So yeah when I got home my ENTIRE kit was washed....and I had to take a shower I was so grossed out. Does anyone know how to wash the big black carry bag we have to take our stuff in to shows?? :)

elizabethfox said:
I had a show last Sat and I swear I about gagged and just left.... First off the house SMELLED.....and then the woman had 5 dogs running around the house and they were NOT house trained...so they were peeing and pooping on the floor ( hence the stench when you walked in.)

The carpet was a cream colored carpet and it almost looked black it was so nasty. I didn't even want to set my kit down, but I put it up on the counter. Which was nasty too. She had not been able to find anyone to watch her kids, so they were there running around getting into my kit causing trouble. She was yealling and swearing at them the ENTIRE time.....

I didn't even do my show like I usually do....I just wanted to get it done with and leave. She only had 3 people there and they looked a little rough. I ended up with only $40 total in show orders....so not even enough to count as a show. So it was a complete waste of my time.....but at least I was already in town and didn't drive 30 min out to her home to do this for her.

So yeah when I got home my ENTIRE kit was washed....and I had to take a shower I was so grossed out. Does anyone know how to wash the big black carry bag we have to take our stuff in to shows?? :)

:eek::yuck:

elizabethfox said:

:yuck::yuck:I feel your pain! I wiped mine down with Clorox disinfecting wipes, and then sprayed it with Febreze.

Jenni said:
Ok~ first let me say I'm not a clean freak or a germ stresser. Last night at my party the host had the nastiest kitchen I have ever been in. She had fresh fruit just cut open on the counter with trash sitting next to it. The sink looked like it belonged in someones garage or laundry room. The floor was covered in dirt and dog hair. She has five dogs and the only room they are allowed in is the kitchen. I am a huge fan of dogs have to love them! (they are like my kids) Just gross, I didn't want to use the stove or the sink. Ugh just nasty! I can't belie she invited people to her house.
Anyone ever had to deal with this? I was just waiting for roaches to crawl across the floor :yuck:. She offered to wash the dishes like three times. I was like no thank you, my son will be sad if I come home with clean dished he gets paid to was them :rolleyes:

Grose!!!! :eek:

ChefBeckyD said:
:yuck::yuck:I feel your pain! I wiped mine down with Clorox disinfecting wipes, and then sprayed it with Febreze.

Thanks I will have to give that a try. I was seriously in shock when I walked in....because if you had seen the gal I was doing this show for, you wouldn't have thought her home would be like it was....:yuck::yuck:

elizabethfox said:
Thanks I will have to give that a try. I was seriously in shock when I walked in....because if you had seen the gal I was doing this show for, you wouldn't have thought her home would be like it was....:yuck::yuck:
That was the way mine was too! At the show she booked from, she was a "know-it-all" and very precise, and seemed to have such high standards for her cooking and kitchen tools....I was in shock too when I walked into her house. And couldn't wait to get out of there! I knew it was really really bad when I walked into my house, and DH and DS both wanted to know why I smelled so bad! It was so strong, it permeated my clothing and my hair and everything.

All I can say is YIKES!!! :yuck: I also frequently live in a bit of disarray (prob should be tidying/cleaning not posting right now!), but these sound disgusting and unsanitary. And like all of you, I ALWAYS clean and tidy for guests. This is getting a little scary!

I did my first Cooking Show at a friend's who had a cat walking across the counters. Before I started to cook, I picked the cat up and took it into the Host (who was chatting in the living room with her 3 guests) and asked her to put the cat away somewhere since it wanted to be on the counters. She did... Everything else was clean but her 2 yo & 5 yo and the 2 yo and 4 yo of a guest where in the kitchen, singing to the top of their lungs while I was trying to answer questions on the products. I finally (after 10 minutes) turned to the children since I knew them from Church and asked them to go to another room. The mothers looked at me and one said, "Oh I just never notice the noise"... I smiled sweetly and said well I couldn't hear myself talk so I figured no one else could either." I ended up with only $100 in orders so combined it with the Past Host Specials from my daughter that the Show was booked off of. Since it was 60% off any two products (in February), the 7-pc cookware she bought put it over the $300 mark. I gave the Free Product credit to the Host of $40...

I posted this last year in another "filthy kitchen" thread (I don't know how to link another thread to this one)...

At my second show, just a few months ago, I thought about walking out before I even started. I showed up 1 hour befor the show, as I had told the host I would do. She was in dirty sweats and a ripped t-shirt. Her cabinet doors were all over the kitchen, because she was painting them. And, her daughter's cabinet doors were all over her front entery way - the were refinishing them. She showed me around the house and introduced me to her dog and 5 cats. Looking around, I thougt there were at least 10 cats, but realized the were just hairballs. We talked about it and decided the livingroom was the best place for everyone to see the demo and then she said, "ok, wel I'm going to run to the store now, to get your ingredients." I could't believe it. Not only had she postponed her show twice, but then when she did finally have it she was no where near ready. So, she left and I proceeded to vaccuum, dust, scrub the kitchen counters, and clean the outside of the disgusting garbage can. I was afraid to touch it at first. Now, I am not the best house keeper in the world, in fact, my husband does way more cleaning than I do, but I could not work in the condition that the house had been in. When she got back 1/2 hour later I was sweating and irritated, but at least I wasn't totally grossed out anymore. I thought it might be worth it, she had told me earlier in the week that she was expecting 10-15 people.

Well, she never changed clothes and the first person arived, she seemed fine with what she was wearing. We waited another 1/2 hour and her daughter and 1 neighbor showed up. That was it, 3 guests and the host. When I left the party was at $130. I collected an outside order, so I could get it over $150, but she had nothing else for me.

It was funny, before I left I was cleaning up my stuff and she said, "Oh, did you clean the garbage can?" She didn't notice the vaccumming or the dusting or the counters being scrubbed.

Oh My Goodness! Thankfully I haven't run into any of these houses with my cooking shows, BUT......................
I am a real estate broker. I go into these houses all of the time and have to see/be in the entire house!!! Yeah, those people have DISGUSTING bedrooms and bathrooms. :yuck::yuck::yuck:
I always have to come straight home from showings to take a shower, it's just awful the way people live. I still just cannot figure out how walls are filthy 4-6 ft. up. :eek:

Oh my gosh, I guess I have just been lucky with the cooking shows I've had...nothing as gross :yuck: as you all have mentioned here! Did an activity several years ago where ever student at our school got a free camera and they were to take pics. of things they valued in their life. The cameras were sent in and the pics. developed. Because we had to have an end project to submit I needed to look through all the photos. It was amazing and often times sad what I saw. From one end of the spectrum to the other....beautiful clean and organized rooms and yards to places I could not imagine living. And yet these kids were taking pics. of what was important to them.

I had a show once with the cats on all the kitchen counters and dining room table. I had to remove one, wipe down the table and hope hairs didn't float down. You would be amazed of how little people care about a house when a stranger comes over, but your friends? My husband does mobile computer repair and works for millionaires and discusting slobs. He had one house that he will never go back to. Looked like a puppy mill in the house. Dogs in crates with c*** all over the floors, and stench. He had to watch where he walked and wash all his clothes when he came home. They knew he was coming over. Some just don't care. Like we need to say, "Please have your house sanitary for your cooking show!"

1. How should I handle a host's unsanitary kitchen at my party?

If you encounter a host's unsanitary kitchen at your party, it's important to handle the situation tactfully. You can politely decline to use any utensils or appliances in the kitchen and instead bring your own. You can also offer to help clean up or set up an outdoor area for food and drinks if possible. It's important to remember to be respectful and not make the host feel embarrassed or uncomfortable.

2. What should I do if the host offers to wash the dishes?

If the host offers to wash the dishes, it's perfectly acceptable to politely decline and offer to do them yourself. You can also suggest using disposable plates and utensils to avoid using the host's kitchen altogether. Alternatively, you can bring your own dish soap and sponge to clean any dishes you may need to use.

3. How can I prevent encountering a host's unsanitary kitchen in the future?

To prevent encountering a host's unsanitary kitchen in the future, it's a good idea to communicate with the host before the party. You can ask if the kitchen will be available for use and if it will be clean. If you have any concerns, you can also offer to bring your own food and drinks to avoid using the host's kitchen.

4. Is it rude to avoid using a host's kitchen?

No, it is not rude to avoid using a host's kitchen if it is unsanitary. It's important to prioritize your own health and well-being. You can politely decline to use the kitchen and offer alternative solutions, such as bringing your own food and drinks or using disposable utensils and plates.

5. How can I handle a situation like this without making the host feel bad?

If you encounter a situation like this, it's important to handle it tactfully and respectfully. You can politely decline to use the kitchen and offer alternative solutions or offer to help clean up. It's important to avoid making the host feel embarrassed or uncomfortable. Remember to be understanding and empathetic, as everyone has different standards of cleanliness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
akrebecca
  • nikki70563
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nikki70563
Replies
Views
pampered.chris