• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Oldest Left for Air Force Bootcamp Today

In summary, the best thing for my son is to join the military. He has been floundering for the last two years, but I still worry. I am glad he made the decision to join and am excited for his future.
pcmissyfee
Gold Member
I honestly think it is the best thing for him. He is 20 and has been floundering for the last two years, but I still worry.

Make sure you order the graduation CD. It is a treasure :)It was a good decision for my son, too!

I think that's awesome!! The military is really a good thing for a lot of people. Of course you worry! You should be very proud though! Just wait till you see him on Graduation Day! You won't even recognize him! My husband joined the Air National Guard when he was 34 yrs old. I couldn't believe it when I went to see him at Basic Training Graduation!

Congratulations and Good Luck!!

Congrats!!I have been in the USAF for coming up on 20 years and absolutely LOVE it!! What is you son going to be doing? I wish him well, be PROUD mama be Proud :eek:)

Yea, what Cynthia said. I reitred from the USAF 2 years ago. I LOVED it as well. It is THE way to go as far as the military is concerned. And USAF Basic Training isn't THAT bad. In general, our branch is less physical and more intellectual. Just the nature of our role compared to the Army, Marines, etc. Encourage him to go experience life in different countries!

That's awesome! I know it's sad but the discipline will be enormous!

urbnk8 said:
Just wait till you see him on Graduation Day! You won't even recognize him!

So true!! DH and I were still dating when he joined the AF. When I went to see him graduate from Basic, he was hugging me before I even saw him! lol Between the tan and the physical changes, I didn't recognize him!

Congratulations! :)

Very bitter sweet...good for him and you should be a proud mama, but heart tugging as your oldest leaves the nest. I have no doubt however he will make excellent Airman!

My son 20 years old joined the military in September. He has always been a great son and graduated with honours from college in Police Foundations. Knowing it would take years to get on a police force he signed up for 3 years. He has finished basic training and has moved out to Edmonton. We are from Ontario and Edmonton is a five hour plane ride. I miss his terribly however he has matured unbelieveably since. I am very proud and at the same time frightened. He will most likely go to Afganistan during this year some time.
Cathy

PamperedChefDebi said:
Yea, what Cynthia said. I reitred from the USAF 2 years ago. I LOVED it as well. It is THE way to go as far as the military is concerned. And USAF Basic Training isn't THAT bad. In general, our branch is less physical and more intellectual. Just the nature of our role compared to the Army, Marines, etc. Encourage him to go experience life in different countries!

Uh, okay Debi, I'll let that one slide :) As a retiree (Army), I agree with everyone else: this will be a great opportunity for him. Regardless of how long he stays in ther service, the biggest personal advantage to basic training (and beyond) is learning just how much you can accomplish when the the option to quit is removed from you.

And Debi is right...encourage him to experience life overseas (especially Europe if he has that option)!

legacypc46 said:
Uh, okay Debi, I'll let that one slide :) As a retiree (Army), I agree with everyone else: this will be a great opportunity for him. Regardless of how long he stays in ther service, the biggest personal advantage to basic training (and beyond) is learning just how much you can accomplish when the the option to quit is removed from you.

And Debi is right...encourage him to experience life overseas (especially Europe if he has that option)!

You know what I meant though. Our AFSCs and your MOSs have some differences. And it was a blanket statement! Regardless of branch, it's an awesome way to develop discipline and experience life in ways you can't imagine.

I know you're proud of your son. You should be. I also know it's probably really hard to let one of your babies go. You'll both be in my prayers.

Thank you for all the encouraging words everyone. I am very proud of him and I know he will be successful. He is going to be an MP. I am planning to fly to San Antonio to see his graduation and will definitely purchase the DVD. His tech school is in San Antonio too, so he will be there for a while.

PamperedChefDebi said:
You know what I meant though. Our AFSCs and your MOSs have some differences. And it was a blanket statement! Regardless of branch, it's an awesome way to develop discipline and experience life in ways you can't imagine.

just teasing debi (i know you know that:) )

pcmissyfee said:
Thank you for all the encouraging words everyone. I am very proud of him and I know he will be successful. He is going to be an MP. I am planning to fly to San Antonio to see his graduation and will definitely purchase the DVD. His tech school is in San Antonio too, so he will be there for a while.
Nice career field... that's what my DH does! :) But DH and his friends hate being referred to as MP's! lol I went to see him graduate from Basic and Tech School - it was great getting to be there. They also offer pictures of each Airman during the graduation ceremony - it's one of my favorite pictures. :)

Best of luck to him in his now venture!! I hope it goes well!!

ahammons said:
Nice career field... that's what my DH does! :) But DH and his friends hate being referred to as MP's! lol I went to see him graduate from Basic and Tech School - it was great getting to be there. They also offer pictures of each Airman during the graduation ceremony - it's one of my favorite pictures. :)

Yeah! LOL! Just for the record, in the Air Force, they are Security Forces or Security Police.

Yeah, my FIL was in the army so his family usually calls DH an MP... it drives him crazy! lol He always says "No, I'm not a MP - I'm Security Forces!" :D

I've been in the Air Force for over 13 years and I love it! Going into the AF was the best choice that I have ever made.

Good Luck to your son!

Yeah! LOL! Just for the record, in the Air Force, they are Security Forces or Security Police.
I wasn't sure of the correct Air Force term for that position. When you say MP, most people already know what that is, so it simplifies the explanation. :eek:

Related to My Oldest Left for Air Force Bootcamp Today

1. How can I stay connected with my child during boot camp?

There are several ways to stay connected with your child during boot camp. You can write letters, send care packages, and use video calls or messaging services when available. Your child may also have access to a phone during certain times, so make sure to ask for their schedule.

2. Can I attend the graduation ceremony?

Yes, you can attend your child's graduation ceremony. The Air Force typically allows two guests per service member, but it's best to confirm with your child's unit for any specific guidelines or restrictions.

3. What items should I include in a care package?

Some items that are commonly included in care packages for those in boot camp include non-perishable snacks, hygiene items, encouraging notes or letters, and any specific items your child has requested. It's important to follow the guidelines set by the Air Force regarding what is allowed to be sent.

4. Will my child have access to their cell phone during boot camp?

Most likely, your child will not have access to their cell phone during boot camp. However, they may have access to a phone during certain times for short calls. It's best to communicate with your child's unit for more information.

5. How can I support my child during boot camp?

One of the best ways to support your child during boot camp is to send them positive and encouraging letters, cards, or care packages. You can also educate yourself about the Air Force and what your child will be going through, and be there to listen and offer support when they are able to communicate with you. Additionally, reaching out to other military families for support and advice can be helpful.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • ihavethetools
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ihavethetools
Replies
Views
Carol Chantiny