• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Saying 'No' to Japan: Hot Particles in Air Put Health at Risk

In summary, John just asked if the kids & I are returning to Japan. The answer is no. He's started the paperwork to make it final, but then got sent out of Japan on a military thing. So now we are in a holding pattern waiting for his assignment to end, him to return to Japan & complete the process & the pack-out to have our stuff shipped to me here in TX.
Sheila
Gold Member
John just asked if the kids & I are returning to Japan. The answer is no. Hubby and I have agreed that it's better for us to stay stateside vs. worrying about the long-term effects that they might suffer by living in Tokyo. He's started the paperwork to make it final, but then got sent out of Japan on a military thing. So now we are in a holding pattern waiting for his assignment to end, him to return to Japan & complete the process & the pack-out to have our stuff shipped to me here in TX.

But ... after the decision ... this expert that I've been following posted some ominous news relating to Japan and to those in Tokyo ~ where our base is located. It reaffirms that we are doing the right thing keeping the kids out of Japan. But the fact that I know so many people, both Americans & Japanese, who are still in Japan & living in Tokyo really tugs at my heart. I have so much empathy for them and what they will likely be facing in the coming years. :(

This photo shows the hot particles (embers from the Fukushima Power Plant that never extinguish) floating around in the air. The left is Seattle, middle is Tokyo & right is Fukushima. These were collected in air filters of automobiles in those areas. This is what people are breathing.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/310954_2585075591377_1389121744_3787277_117213097_n.jpg

And here's the full video explaining it: Scientist Marco Kaltofen Presents Data Confirming Hot Particles on Vimeo

That's so disheartening. Has your Hubby looked at his medical records to make sure they have documented this? If anything should happen to him (or any of you) down the road that he gets cancer or anything the military Should pay for it. When I was going thru my TAPS class the VA came in and told us to make sure everything is documented so we can get disability down the road. like if my left knee is hurting and its documented i can get treated for my left knee but if my right knee starts hurting and they have no record of it id have to pay to be seen for that. if that makes sense?

That's frightening. I'm glad you're looking out for your family and doing what feels right for you.

They were offering free screenings on our base, but hubby "forgot" about it & didn't go do it before he left on his military thing. I'd love to have all 4 of us tested!

Well I am glad to hear that at least you know where you will be for a while. Are you going to be able to bring your Japanese home, home? I hope you are able to do something about being tested as well. Lets just hope that you got out before being overly exposed. Oh and hows that couch treating you?

I'm concerned with hot particles. I'm washing everything hubby sends to us, getting the boxes out of the house as quickly as possible & wiping down the areas where the boxes touched. More concerned with hot particles (dust) than the property actually being radioactive. But it would be interesting to have someone come out & check the crates before they bring anything into my house, huh? I'll have to do some research & see if I can find someone local who's interested in doing some research at my house! LOL

Are you close to Lackland or Dyess? maybe you can contact their Bio Environmental department and ask them. We work with Bio in my job since we take xray's of the planes and have to monitor how much exposure we get. Thats the reason why I know to make sure things are in medical records in case something would happen down the line and they can be like well this could be the cause bc of working around all the different chemicals and radiation.

No, I'm in Dallas. Those 2 bases are in Abilene (3.5 hours away) and San Antonio (5 hours away).

Sheila said:
I'm concerned with hot particles. I'm washing everything hubby sends to us, getting the boxes out of the house as quickly as possible & wiping down the areas where the boxes touched. More concerned with hot particles (dust) than the property actually being radioactive. But it would be interesting to have someone come out & check the crates before they bring anything into my house, huh? I'll have to do some research & see if I can find someone local who's interested in doing some research at my house! LOL

Well that's a scary thought, though, if the boxes are contaminated...what about all the other packages they are in contact with through the shipping process?!

Yup! Exactly!!! The experts are saying that hot particles worked their way through the air to the west coast of the US. I've already said multiple times over on my FB page that I'm betting some came in on ships & packages too! Any imported items from that region could technically be contaminated. My guess is people working the docks unloading imported items will end up with a higher % of cancer in the next 10-15 years. :(

What are hot particles in air?

Hot particles in air are tiny radioactive particles that are released into the atmosphere during nuclear accidents or bomb detonations. They can be inhaled or ingested and can pose a significant health risk.

Why is saying 'no' to Japan important?

Saying 'no' to Japan means refusing to accept contaminated goods or food products from Japan that may contain hot particles. This is important because hot particles can cause serious health issues, including cancer and other radiation-related illnesses.

What are the potential health risks associated with hot particles in air?

The potential health risks associated with hot particles in air include an increased risk of cancer, genetic mutations, and other radiation-related illnesses. They can also cause damage to the lungs and other organs if inhaled or ingested.

How can I protect myself from hot particles in air?

The best way to protect yourself from hot particles in air is to avoid exposure to contaminated goods or food products from Japan. You can also limit your exposure to outdoor air in areas where nuclear accidents or bomb detonations have occurred.

What precautions should I take if I have recently traveled to Japan?

If you have recently traveled to Japan, it is important to monitor your health and seek medical attention if you experience any symptoms related to radiation exposure. It is also recommended to avoid consuming any food or goods from areas known to be contaminated with hot particles.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Sheila
Back