• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My First Show Yesterday-Not so Happy

In summary, the author had her first cooking show and it was not as great as she expected it to be. She spent a few minutes just standing there looking around and then played a couple of games, but did not do well on some questions. Her show lasted from 6:30pm to 9:00pm. She made two rings and a skillet cake. One woman picked out a gift and when the author offered to trade it for something of the same price, the woman said no. The show ended up costing $300. The author is discouraged because most of the guests were rude.
holly1594
WELL, I HAD MY FIRST COOKING SHOW YESTERDAY. I THINK IT WAS A BUMMER. RUDE PEOPLE, I COULDN'T THINK, I COULDN'T HARDLY SPEAK...I WASN'T NERVOUS AT ALL, I JUST COULDN'T THINK OF WHAT TO SAY OR DO. I SPENT A FEW MINS JUST STANDING THERE LOOKING AROUND. I PLAYED A COUPLE OF GAMES, BUT TO TRY TO FILL-IN DURING COOKING. I DID ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS REALLY GREAT, BUT THEN THERE WERE SOME QUESTIONS THAT I DID NOT DO SO WELL ON (ESPECIALLY, WHEN PEOPLE WAS ASKING ME NAMES OF ITEMS AND I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT)!!!

ONE OF MY BOOKING GAMES I PLAYED WAS PASSING OUT A VERY CUTE HANDMADE CARD FOLDED IN HALF TO EVERYONE AND TOLD THEM THEY COULD NOT OPEN IT UNTIL THE END OF THE SHOW. WELL, WHEN I TOLD THEM HOW THE "GAME" WORKED...ONE WOMAN LOOKED UP AT ME AND SAID "FORGET THAT SH**, SHE'S CRAZY. THERE AIN'T NOTHING ON THIS CARD THAT WOULD MAKE ME BOOK WITH HER" EVERYONE LAUGHED, BUT NOT ME I WANTED TO TURN AROUND A HIDE AND CRY. HOW RUDE CAN ONE PERSON BE! HER AND ONE OF HER FRIENDS KEPT SAYING THEY SHOULD GET SOMETHING FREE BECAUSE THEY DROVE FOR MILES (ACTUALLY-30 MILES) AND HAVE BEEN THERE FOR SO LONG. MY SHOW WAS KIND OF LONG...I MADE 2 RINGS AND A SKILLET CAKE!!! MY SHOW LASTED FROM 6:30pm TO 9:00pm-IT WAS LONG.

WHEN I PLAYED A DIFFERENT GAME ANOTHER WOMAN PICKED OUT A GIFT (THAT WAS WRAPPED) AND OPENED IT AND SAID I DON'T LIKE THIS GIFT ANYONE WANT TO TRADE.

I PLAYED ONE MORE GAME, BUT I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!! I PLAYED PASS THE GIFT...I READ THE CUTE LITTLE POEM AS EVERYONE WAS PASSING THE GIFT AROUND. I WAS THINKING THIS IS GREAT EVERYONE IS LAUGHING AND HAVING A GOOD TIME. BUT OH NO IT COULDN'T BE THAT SIMPLE!!! THE WOMAN OPENED UP THE PRETTY LITTLE BOX AND INSIDE I PUT A PICTURE OF THE "MEASURE-ALL" ON A PRETTY CARD AND WROTE "FREE WITH YOUR PURCHASE TONIGHT". SHE SAID "I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WOULD BE SOMETHING I ALREADY HAVE, SOMETHING CHEAP" THEN, OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF MY HEART-I OFFERED TO EXCANGE IT FOR SOMETHING FOR THE SAME PRICE AND SHE SAID "NO, I'D RATHER NOT HAVE ANYTHING FOR THE PRICE OF THAT" TO TOP THAT OFF SHE DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING AT ALL, SO WHO IS CHEAP NOW!!!:mad:

MY SHOW ENDED UP BEING A $300 SHOW. I AM DISCOURAGED I GUESS, BECAUSE IT WAS MY FIRST SHOW AND ALMOST EVERYONE SEEMED SO RUDE AND HATEFUL!!:(

BEFORE MY SHOW I WAS REALLY READING EVERYTHING ON THIS BOARD, BUT NOTHING COULD HAVE PREPARED ME FOR MY SHOW YESTERDAY!

THANKS FOR LISTENING!

{{{hugs}}}

Bless and release. Believe me this is not how shows usually are. You just had a bad bunch. Forget about them and move on.

Take the sales, give them their products and service, and then release!

I would politely tell the host, thank you for hosting, but it was really hard on me with all your rude guests.

...and don't EVER let anyone bully you into giving them something free - you are working hard for your money and if you choose to give it, that is fine, but what good will it do you if it isn't appreciated...there are many more customers out there.

...hope it gets better. $300 is not bad at all! That's what my first show was.

Oh NoWow, rude bunch!! Who was the host?? Did you know them well?? I wouldn't work with them again. I would move on....

Yeow - in hindsight, I think I might have recommended that you just do a show without playing any of the games and such. It sounds like you had a couple of sharks who smelled newbie blood and just went on a feeding frenzy.Not everyone is like that - and don't tell me, let me guess - the host is a relative? Relatives are useless. Work on your friends - they are for more supportive than relatives.Wayne Dyer says he's going to write a book called, "Friends Are God's Way Of Making Up For Your Family."(Psst! Turn off the caps lock so it doesn't look like you're yelling at us. ;))

Thanks For The Advice Everyone!
I Will Bless And Release That Crowd With No Problem!Actually, My Host Was A Good Friend Of Mine! The People That She Invited That Was So Rude Was People She Worked With And I Didn't Know Any Of Them! They Were Nice To Me Until I Started My Show!I Am Not Doing Anymore Games! I Probably Will Not Offer Any "gifts" Except To The Host!

Oh, Holly, bless your heart :) Take some comfort in knowing that EVERY consultant will have a few shows like that. It happens to all of us in some form or another! At least you got it out of the way early in your career!! :D

My suggestion for your future shows....keep things as simple as possible. I'd do ONE recipe and NO games until you get your feet under you. I used to do two recipes. I switched to one recipe about 6 years ago and I love it. Keeps things quick and simple. Just choose a recipe that shows alot of products. If there will be alot of people I will offer a "side" recipe...usually cool and creamy chocolate fondue.

Even after almost 9 years, I still find myself standing there at times trying to come up with something to say :) It happens to all of us so look at this as.....you are now OFFICALLY inducted into the sister/brotherhood of kitchen consultants!!

Don't give up on games entirely, but polish up your show and get so smooth at it that nothing can rattle you, then introduce games - if you need to. Other than tickets, I seldom do games. (I hate playing 'em myself.)

holly1594 said:
I Will Bless And Release That Crowd With No Problem!

Actually, My Host Was A Good Friend Of Mine! The People That She Invited That Was So Rude Was People She Worked With And I Didn't Know Any Of Them! They Were Nice To Me Until I Started My Show!

I Am Not Doing Anymore Games! I Probably Will Not Offer Any "gifts" Except To The Host!

It doesn't hurt to do a drawing at the end after they fill out the slips for them to pick something out of the basket...there ARE many guests who do appreciate something...or a "bring a friend or outside order and get a gift". Nancy's has those stickers and I like them. An outside or gives you something in return.

Don't let them TOTALLY ruin good ideas for you, just modify them to fit your show, your needs. After all, PC is your life, your way! :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Don't give up on games entirely, but polish up your show and get so smooth at it that nothing can rattle you, then introduce games - if you need to. Other than tickets, I seldom do games. (I hate playing 'em myself.)

Oh my, I gave similar advice as KG! :p

Honestly, I was typing before you posted...

Awww, you poor thing. Don't worry about those rude people. They don't deserve a sweet consultant like you. We've all dealt with rude people. It just seems like you got oodles of them at the same time. Maybe that means you won't have to deal with any more for a long time.Practice some more. Get really comfortable with what you're doing. Don't try to do everything at the same show. Play around a little and figure out what works for you. You'll be great!!

WRONG post to read 4 hrs before my first show... But im sure you just got a bad batch of people. And thats good that they didnt want your free gift. Saved you money. Dont be discouraged your next show will be much better.

Miss Cori said:
WRONG post to read 4 hrs before my first show... But im sure you just got a bad batch of people. And thats good that they didnt want your free gift. Saved you money. Dont be discouraged your next show will be much better.

You'll be fine Cory - my first show was fine... It happens to the best once in awhile and they've all moved on. :) Relax and enjoy your show!

holly - just think ......... now it can only get BETTER! and it will !

reba515 said:

Great way of looking at it - you've been through the worst, now on to the BEST!

First, big hugs. I'm so sorry that your first show was like this, but on a positive note, your first show is OVER!! You will never have to do a first show again!

As others have posted, polish your demo, keep learning the products (when I first started I learned a section at a time - stoneware, then cookware, cutting edge, etc.) and keep it simple! It definitely seems like the trend is to keep it short and sweet, but still show as many products as you can.

I can't believe your door prize was turned down, and let me say, that was a nice door prize you were offering (I stick w/ the $1-2 items).

It will get better - your presentation will improve, your guests' attitudes will improve, your sales will improve, your bookings will improve!!

Hang in there!

We all have to put up with a couple of "those" shows, and you just got one out of the way tright off the bat! Put it behind you, and learn from it. Luckily, most guests, even the difficult ones, aren't usually that bad. :)
{{{hugs}}}

I had a show last year, there were 2 sisters who Heckeled through the whole show...towards the end I just wanted to get away from them, was no longer paying much attention to anything & showed her the Apple Wedger & almost sliced a good chunk of my finger...:eek: needless to say she didnt order it saying it was too sharp:rolleyes: & the other sister says to me I'm glad it was you & not my sister because shes a bleeder:eek: :rolleyes: :eek: as I was trying to put on ANOTHER bandage cuz the first 5 were useless:rolleyes: The host who I knew since she was a kid was really sorry I told her POOP happens & I'm glad they're her friends...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The next party went smooth as silk & so will yours....HANG IN THERE!!!!

Good grief what a crowd! I can't believe your friend didn't try to tame the lions!:eek: :eek:
Like everyone else has said, atleast the first show is over. AND, now you know that you can maintain your composure if/when you ever get another rude guest.
Don't give up, it will get better!

Yikes!!I just don't understand why people have to be that way. Luckily I've never had that kind of experience yet with PC (I just turned in show #70), but I did when I sold Mary Kay. I had a girl who was a very loyal customer. Her Mother and Aunt had a different MK consultant and they were always trying to put me to the test when they came to her shows. They would quiz me to see if I could guess what color foundation they were wearing (thank goodness I got it right), and one time they marched in and started demanding to see the new products. When I said I didn't have them yet, they started saying well so and so already has her's. With PC, you can earn some or all of your products for free or get them half price. Not with MK. You can purchase them half price (If I remember right, I couldn't order them early either like we do with PC), but you had to place a minimum retail order of $400.

At my shows, I demo one recipe. Then while that is in the oven, I "throw together" a quick dessert that has mostly been prepared at my home. After that I usually play one game and then do a drawing with the drawing slips. I try to make my show an hour or less.

I agree with KG. They smelled fresh blood and decided to be mean nasty people. Do not let it get you down. In time you will forget about it (I know it will be hard for awhile) and then when you are a Director you will be able to look back at it and laugh.

I just hope your friend tells them the next time she sees them at work how much they hurt your feelings. The old bags need to feel bad for what they did to you. I know it made me furious while I was reading the post :mad:

Ouch! I'm really sorry that happened to you. I just did my first show Wednesday and was nervous as a cat myself. 2nd one coming in 2 weeks and will probably be nervous for that one as well.(lol)

Don't let hateful people steal your thunder. I can't tell you how many things I forgot. I just played it down by looking around and asking who stole my cue cards.(lol) I also wasn't nearly as ambitous as you. Only made one recipe and didn't play any games just a drawing for a Season's Best cookbook.
I personally think the measure all cup was a GREAT prize.

And if you're looking for an OOPS I can share one from that first show. I used the silicone basting brush for dinner the night before. Left it in the sink. Naturally I was making the Elegant Artichoke Cups for my recipe. YOU have to have a brush for the wontons and I was setting up, 15 miles from home, when I realized what I'd done. No basting brush in the Apt.... so my hostess gave me.... are you ready..... a little highlighting brush from a hair kit! AND I USED it! Of course I tried to get all the cups oiled before all the guests got there to see what I'd done.(lol)

reba515 said:
Exactly what I was going to say!!! Soon you'll have some awesome ones with appreciative and friendly guests and this will be a distant memory.

Holy cow, you made a lot of recipes!!! I just listened to a training CD that was a Cooking Show Live from conference. The speakers at conference are usually veterans with PC with tons of experience and success. Well, she only does ONE recipe!! Even for BIG shows over 15 people. Don't feel like you need to do three recipes. I do TWO at the very most and that's if there are about 15 confirmed yesses. I'm sure because the host was a good friend (too bad HER friends/guests were such bummers!), you went above and beyond, but keep in mind that a show is much smoother if you do LESS!

Just get over this hurdle, forget about it and have some awesome shows in the future. I'm sure you will!:)

WOW .... Holy cow!!! I'm sendin Big hugs your way!!!

What did the host have to say about it? I can not believe she did not say a thing.

You have gotten lots of great advice here. Remember this is your business. Take controll of it from the start!

Sorry this happened to you. Here is some notes from our Spring Regionals that may offer some suggestions to avoid this situation in the future.

One question? Did you practice your presentation? This was helpful for me when I started. I went through it several times on my own and pretended like I was really doing my show. Then I made my mom and sister come over and I did the presentation for them and had them critique me. It was irritating (nobody likes criticism) but I was thankful, because they brought up some points that I didn't think of.

Anyway there is an idea here about negativity police. Julie suggests using squirt guns (not for me) I will use a police car with a siren on it.

Hope these help you. Don't get discouraged the first show is always nerve racking. It does get easier. If you don't know the answer just say let's look that up in the catalog or Please jot that question on the back of the (lead) slip I gave you and I will find out and call you about it.

Attachments

• Spring Regionals Columbus OH.pdf
    71.3 KB · Views: 311
Yuck! Poor girl! Like was said, we all get them just sadly you got your rude ones FIRST!
Shake the dust off and keep going, keep it simple too.

Kris

Hugs to you Holly. It amazes me that there are actually adult women out there that are so rude & ignorant.:mad: :mad: I would love to have the guts to say to them "wow, what a job your mother did raising such a rude, ignorant dimwit,":rolleyes: ;) :D :eek:
But then again, maybe she's worse.....
I learned "bless & release" here among many more wonderful things.:)
What a great bunch of supportive people. What a testament to their parents!
Come here when you have a bad day out there.

I agree with "move on"!!! Don't let that bunch discourage you. OK, here is my first show experience:My husbands ex-wife, whom I had NEVER met came to that show. She new it was my first show and a friend of mine was doing it, (she worked with her and I knew that but didn't expect her to be there!! I tried to take the high road because when my friend mentioned it to me, she said, "I won't invite her if you don't want me to but I just felt bad inviting everyone that I work with except for her" Of course, I tried to be professional about it and said, "I don't care, we are both adults and I didn't meet my husband until long after they were divorced so I have no shame!!" (She cheated on him and did unspeakable things) I really thought that she would just bow out gracefully and if nothing else, just give her co-worker and outside order and not show up!! I mean, did she really think that I didn't know what she did to him??? WRONG!!! She came and continuously asked me questions throughout the show and made me a nervous wreck. I decided she is a WITCH!! Everyone at that show knew that she was my husbands EX and that I was very uncomfortable, the other guests were even apologizing to me after the show!!! I was even scared she would want to book a show and then what would I do. I just don't know if I could have handled that!!! (She didn't THANK GOD!!) But, I do believe that she only came to that show to size me up. again, WHAT A WITCH!!! So, anyway, my point is, it only got better. After the first one, with the witch and the 1st show jitters, the worst was behind me. Needless to say, I never wanted to do another show again. But, I got over it and moved on. And a year later, I am doing GREAT!!!!;) ;) ;) ;) Don't let any of them get to you.

Last edited:
That demo on that FALL DVD 2006 is perfect to follow for first shows.....I am telling ya. I follow that to a T.., added in my fluted pan cake and some raffle tickets and wam..had a 1300.00 show. I mean, I know..those crowds will be out there..but that demo is soooo neat and organized. It's just really perfect for first time consultants to STAY ON TRACK.
I am so sorry about that show...but like every said, get them out of your head. There is no excuse for people to act like that....its ridiculous.

your storage box..
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yeow - in hindsight, I think I might have recommended that you just do a show without playing any of the games and such. It sounds like you had a couple of sharks who smelled newbie blood and just went on a feeding frenzy.

Not everyone is like that - and don't tell me, let me guess - the host is a relative? Relatives are useless. Work on your friends - they are for more supportive than relatives.

Wayne Dyer says he's going to write a book called, "Friends Are God's Way Of Making Up For Your Family."

(Psst! Turn off the caps lock so it doesn't look like you're yelling at us. ;))

is full :( U changed your location
!!

Holly...
holly1594 said:
I Will Bless And Release That Crowd With No Problem!

Actually, My Host Was A Good Friend Of Mine! The People That She Invited That Was So Rude Was People She Worked With And I Didn't Know Any Of Them! They Were Nice To Me Until I Started My Show!

I Am Not Doing Anymore Games! I Probably Will Not Offer Any "gifts" Except To The Host!

Don't let one party ruin your games and fun. Keep trying it; maybe not so many and not soo many free prods either, most of my guests appreciate the smaller less costly items for free too. After the Queen of shoppers played at one HOstess's house all of my bookings wanted that game, I was going to not do it but they loved it so I played :) Have fun and don't let the bad guys beat you up/down!!!

Liz

BIG ((((((((((HUGS)))))) I am so sorry that your first show was like that.... but it will only get better.. keep your chin up... do you have any future shows lined up soon?

Wonderful :)
Karen Hodge said:
Sorry this happened to you. Here is some notes from our Spring Regionals that may offer some suggestions to avoid this situation in the future.

One question? Did you practice your presentation? This was helpful for me when I started. I went through it several times on my own and pretended like I was really doing my show. Then I made my mom and sister come over and I did the presentation for them and had them critique me. It was irritating (nobody likes criticism) but I was thankful, because they brought up some points that I didn't think of.

Anyway there is an idea here about negativity police. Julie suggests using squirt guns (not for me) I will use a police car with a siren on it.

Hope these help you. Don't get discouraged the first show is always nerve racking. It does get easier. If you don't know the answer just say let's look that up in the catalog or Please jot that question on the back of the (lead) slip I gave you and I will find out and call you about it.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Liz

Congrats!!
dianafeller said:
I agree with "move on"!!! Don't let that bunch discourage you.

OK, here is my first show experience:

My husbands ex-wife, whom I had NEVER met came to that show. She new it was my first show and a friend of mine was doing it, (she worked with her and I knew that but didn't expect her to be there!! I tried to take the high road because when my friend mentioned it to me, she said, "I won't invite her if you don't want me to but I just felt bad inviting everyone that I work with except for her" Of course, I tried to be professional about it and said, "I don't care, we are both adults and I didn't meet my husband until long after they were divorced so I have no shame!!" (She cheated on him and did unspeakable things) I really thought that she would just bow out gracefully and if nothing else, just give her co-worker and outside order and not show up!! I mean, did she really think that I didn't know what she did to him??? WRONG!!! She came and continuously asked me questions throughout the show and made me a nervous wreck. I decided she is a WITCH!! Everyone at that show knew that she was my husbands EX and that I was very uncomfortable, the other guests were even apologizing to me after the show!!! I was even scared she would want to book a show and then what would I do. I just don't know if I could have handled that!!! (She didn't THANK GOD!!) But, I do believe that she only came to that show to size me up. again, WHAT A WITCH!!! So, anyway, my point is, it only got better. After the first one, with the witch and the 1st show jitters, the worst was behind me.

Needless to say, I never wanted to do another show again. But, I got over it and moved on. And a year later, I am doing GREAT!!!!;) ;) ;) ;) Don't let any of them get to you.

Like everyone else has said so far, (I usually post before reading all the posts too!!) move on and we've all had them, but with PC it not only is GREAT in many ways but we learn so much from shows, this board, etc. it will get better and don't let the nasty ones win by quitting or giving up!!!

Liz

Hey Holly.

I am a newer consultant as well. I am thankful that I haven't had that kind of show before. I have some where only 1-2 people show up and you feel completely terrible. BUT - It does get better. Keep moving forward. You will get some people who are just AWESOME! Good luck!

Hey Jilliesue!What do you do for the raffle (free shipping, product, etc) and do you just use tickets? Also what is wam?
Do you do the fluted pan cake there (and demo or before guests get there) or at home?
Would love to have a $1300 show!!

Thanks for that show outline from the fall DVD! That was a lot of work!

Kelly

Jilleysue said:
That demo on that FALL DVD 2006 is perfect to follow for first shows.....I am telling ya. I follow that to a T.., added in my fluted pan cake and some raffle tickets and wam..had a 1300.00 show. I mean, I know..those crowds will be out there..but that demo is soooo neat and organized. It's just really perfect for first time consultants to STAY ON TRACK.
I am so sorry about that show...but like every said, get them out of your head. There is no excuse for people to act like that....its ridiculous.

I just had to respond to this!
My second show was simular to this and I had a professional chef in the crowd and she thought her sh** didn't stink!! She thought she knew everything and was RUDE about everything! Saying how she had tools that were better and how stupid some of our stuff was! I was really tripping out, wanted to cry! But the host worked with me and had become a really good friend, it was her aunt!! Anyway~ She told her "Well then, I guess you are the stupid one that hasn't marketed your "stuff" then! Until you do, shut up! And if you are not enjoying yourself, leave and then everyone else can enjoy themselves!" WOW! She was so mad at her Aunt and apologized profusely (sp?)! So even if you didn't get that reaction from your host, just remember this is NOT THE NORM! I have now done close to 400 shows and it's never been that hard since! Keep doing it! You won't regret it! In our lives we will face tribulation! Keep pushing forward, it's probably that you're meant to do this and that is why it's happening, keep going you won't be disappointed!

And as far as your show length! :eek: That would be the one thing that I would not do! 1 recipe! That's it!!!! If you want to do a dessert, have your host make up 2 brownie mixes when you get there, bake it in the bar pan (the smell makes the guest go crazy when they walk in!) and when it comes out, have her top it with a couple scoops of peanut butter and 1-2 cup chocolate chips (amount depends on the hosts' likes). Let it melt and then spread it out. Then chop her favorite candy bar and sprinkle it on top. You've demoed the chopper and you have a stone recipe. If your A recipe required the chopper already, then chop the candy bar in advance and just sprinkle it on! You don't have to demo anything and they LOVE IT! (Peanut allergies? Use Andes chocolate covered peppermints!!! It's sooooo goood!) I don't play any games (sometimes I do) and my show average is about $650.00! Maybe one game would be cool and I'm thinking about it!
Hang in there, as everyone says, bless and release and move on! IT WILL GET BETTER!:) You did the right thing coming here to the board to vent, let us build you up and then go out there and do it again! It's like riding a bike, if you fall, get back up and ride again! You'll make it, don't let rude people control you!
Good luck and God Bless!;) :)

Don't make this hard on yourself! That's all I'm trying to say

Last edited:
MissChef said:
I just had to respond to this!
My second show was simular to this and I had a professional chef in the crowd and she thought her sh** didn't stink!! She thought she knew everything and was RUDE about everything! Saying how she had tools that were better and how stupid some of our stuff was! I was really tripping out, wanted to cry!
I think sometimes having a professional in the group can actually make things worse. They know all the fancy techniques, so they don't need the "goofy" gadgets to make life easier.

MissChef said:
So even if you didn't get that reaction from your host, just remember this is NOT THE NORM! I have now done close to 400 shows and it's never been that hard since! Keep doing it! You won't regret it! In our lives we will face tribulation! Keep pushing forward, it's probably that you're meant to do this and that is why it's happening, keep going you won't be disappointed!
Hang in there, as everyone says, bless and release and move on! IT WILL GET BETTER!:) You did the right thing coming here to the board to vent, let us build you up and then go out there and do it again! It's like riding a bike, if you fall, get back up and ride again! You'll make it, don't let rude people control you!
Good luck and God Bless!;) :)

Don't make this hard on yourself! That's all I'm trying to say
Absolutely! Not every show can be the perfect one. Just get back in that apron, back next to that counter and make the next show even better!

I have my first show Monday, and I have to say I'm nervous!
I just wanted to tell you I'm new to the site and biz and I was reading all the posts. I saw your Bible Verse. That's the verse I've been thinking on for 2 days! It blessed me just to see it out there again! Thanks for the encouragement!

Sorry for not posting sooner! I work for the government and we are having a BIG audit in a couple of weeks. So, I have been working over! :) You know...crossing our "T's" and dotting our "I's"...shredding papers (okay just kidding about the papers!)
I really appreciate everyone's advice! You all do not know how much everyone means to me! I wish that everyone was as nice as all of you! Thank you for lifting my spirit, and all the great advice!

Jill,
I've heard you talk about the DVD before, is it the one with Laurie Glasshoff? Perhaps some of us could help holly1594 with a quick outline of our shows.

(((Holly))) Im just seeing this and so sorry this happened to you! Everyone gave awesome advice - KISS - keep it simple sugar! That is waht I tell my recruits. Trust me we have all had bad shows! I did one once where the guests we all ladies I'd say 60 and over and all they did the whole time was complaiin about the prices and talk about their surgeries! I did this funny thing that I've done at other shows when I lose their attention.....(got this from my director who is a former 3rd grade teacher)....I started looking under pillows and under my demo table, in a measuring cup etc...and I said really loud "Sorry I seem to have lost attention" Usually that gets a chuckle and gets everybody back on track but these ladies kept talking about their surgeires and looked at me like I was stupid. $250 show with at least 8 people there.

My advice - choose one recipe. Maybe the 3 Cheese Veggie Pizza or the Aloha Pizza. Do that at every show until you have it so down pat you dont even have to think about it! And do your introductions - Name, how you know "suzy", and your favorite PC product. Lots of time I "sprinkle" the introductions throughout the show, that way at ackward moments when you dont know what to say you can do an introductions and that keeps it going smoothly. When they mention their favorite product tey usually get pretty excited or the other guests do and they start talking about the product and they've done the selling! I know you will be fine and at least its all uphill from now on! Nothing can be as bad as that first show!!!!! Prayers and Best Wishes!

Sorry you had such a terrible experience. Why wasn't your recruiter there to help you at your first show? And why on earth would you make 3 recipes?

So sorry this happend to you. Those are a sad sorry bunch of people.

Others have given tut good advice, the one I agree with the most is the recipes. I only do one and I make the host get the ingredients.

Good luck next time.

so sorry for you. some people are rude, but I always try to focus on the nice ones. don't let the others get in your way.think your biggest issue was the length of your show. as everyone else said, one recipe is plenty. you aren't the caterer and people don't want to sit there that long. are you using index cards? When I first started, I found that they helped to keep me on track. I didn't read from them - just had a basic outline to follow. I started with my intro, did the recipe and made sure I covered the stoneware, cookware and knives. As my director said, your customers will find the little products. You can't talk about everything.This sounds like a show I did in my first month with a very good friend of mine. I talked and no one listened. I had a feeling it might not be great when my friend told me that they weren't going to sit because they really just wanted to come and drink... ok, so I just made believe someone was listening and kept going. Didn't get any parties out of that but that was fine with me. Not a crowd I needed to party with again - and it took me a while to want to be around my friend too.It does get better, and there will always be rude people, but there will also be great people at each show too! Focus on them and you'll be great. HUGS.

This post is from 2007!!!

ChefBeckyD said:
This post is from 2007!!!
hahahahahahaha bizarre. thank you for noticing!! ok, obviously need to get back to my cooking:eek:

you are not in control of the people you meet ...you did the best thing you could have done stay professional and dont react ..It will get better ..I did a show, there were 7 people all who had there heads in their phones the whole time ..I took their orders and my commisiion and left !

terisbistro said:
you are not in control of the people you meet ...you did the best thing you could have done stay professional and dont react ..It will get better ..I did a show, there were 7 people all who had there heads in their phones the whole time ..I took their orders and my commisiion and left !

You're replying to a thread started in 2007 and whose last post before yours was almost a year ago.

terisbistro said:

Welcome to Chef Success. This is an old thread but I understand how that could be missed by someone who is as new to the forum as you are - first post and all!

There is so much info here and so much help! Feel free to use it all, even old stuff. There are treasures in that old stuff.

Suggestion though: look at the dates on the posts and if its old then start a new thread about the subject. Refer to it and even copy the URL and put it in your new thread if you want. That would keep the threads that pop up current and fresh!

HTH

BethCooks4U said:
Welcome to Chef Success. This is an old thread but I understand how that could be missed by someone who is as new to the forum as you are - first post and all!

There is so much info here and so much help! Feel free to use it all,
even old stuff. There are treasures in that old stuff.

Suggestion though: look at the dates on the posts and if its old then start a new thread about the subject. Refer to it and even copy the URL and put it in your new thread if you want. That would keep the threads that pop up current and fresh!

HTH

When it comes to old stuff, I think I qualify.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Nay0403
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Sara Dawn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • nay62