• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Attempting My First Pizza: Not As Easy As It Seems!

The Mandoline is a great tool for grating cheese and zucchini. However, the cheese is a bit messy and time consuming to make. I would recommend freezing the cheese ahead of time so that it is easier to use. The other tips are also good advice.
topchef.heather
I just attempted to practice making my first pizza before hosting any shows. It seems to have turned out pretty good, but not as easy as it seems. So I guess it could be me and making it harder than it really is. I'm not much of a cook anyway and I've never used anything like the mandoline. I hope it gets easier with time b/c it would be quite embarrassing at a show at how long it took me!

It does get easier. Do most of the prep work ahead of time. It will save time at your party.

what type of pizza are you making? If you give us some details, we might be able to make suggestions as to how to make it easier for you. :D
Jen

I made the 3 cheese garden pizza that came in the kit.

My tip would be to do the cheese ahead of time or even buy it bagged. That way you only use the Mandoline for the veggies which goes very smoothly. This is still my go to recipe and it works great. Also, I use our knife to cut the tomatoes (in case they are too ripe they will smoosh in the Mandoline) and people are so impressed that this little knife can easily slice through a tomato!HTH...

You can also pre-half-bake the crust before the show. Chin up -- my shows NEVER go as planned and we always have lots of laughs (usually at me) and a whole lot of fun. If you are fun and honest, they WILL buy!!!!

Haha, I think that was my problem...my tomato was completely smooshed! Glad to hear that, I thought it was just me! I thought about the bagged cheese, that's how I normally buy it, I just thought that the point was to actually show how it grates. I guess as time goes, I will learn my routine and what's easiest for me. That's why I tried it at home for the family and neighbors first!

dkitten13 said:
My tip would be to do the cheese ahead of time or even buy it bagged. That way you only use the Mandoline for the veggies which goes very smoothly. Also, I use our knife to cut the tomatoes
HTH...

great advice, along with cooking the crust ahead of time. also, using the new serrated knife on the tomato would be great!

Let us know if these modifications make a difference for you!
Jen:D

I would personally never use my mandolin for grating cheese... too messy and time consuming (I have a Bosch kitchen machine with a fantastic grater, so by my cheese in bulk, grate it all and freeze it). When I demoed the 3 Cheese Pizza, I did use the Mandolin for grating, but since it doesn't work amazingly well (IMHO!), I don't think it's a great selling feature. It does work very nicely for a firm tomatoes and the other veggies though.

Lorraine

I really haven't made up completely with my Mandoline. I like the idea, it just takes some getting used to. My suggestion it one to practice using it to find a rhythm when using it and two, use it for one item. My favorite use for it is the zucchini, with the waffle blade. Like others have said, use your other cutting tools for the other items.

Great! It's nice to hear that I am not the only one who was disappointed in the cheese and the first smooshed tomato! The zucchini and if the onion was small enough worked great though. I think that I will have to use something else for the cheese, I wasn't happy with it, but thought it was b/c I didn't freeze the cheese ahead of time. Thanks for the tips, I will definetly try those next time!

I demo'd that recipe (and only that recipe) for my first few months. You will be amazed by how fast it goes after the first few tries. Hang in there! Soon you will be able to make it, be chatty, and talk tools fairly quickly and at the same time. :)Since you are demoing a lot on the mandoline already, I used it for the cheddar (you can shred the cheddar or not(!) and slice the onions and crinkle cut the zucchini on the mandoline) but had the host buy shredded mozz. I did the parm on the microplane. Between that and zesting now for the summer trifle, I sell a LOT of microplane graters. Also, save out a piece of zucchini (the recipe calls for too much anyway) and you can use it to demo the food chopper. No reason to do the tomato on the mandoline if you don't want to. Heck, I've made it with halved cherry tomatoes and it was fine. If you have the egg slicer you can use that for the mushrooms.I have been selling mandolines lately, too. Cucumbers w/ the thin blade ('tis the season) and lemons with the thicker setting for the trifle or to float in bowls work well and are easy to show. I like to show the crinkle cutter on a potato because I use it at home a lot to make fries. The best way to do well at a show is to use as many of the products as possible in your kitchen so you can honestly tell people what you like and what you use it for. Plus, then you are good at using the tools for your shows.I am still pretty new so I don't know a ton, but this is what has been working for me. Best of luck. Go get 'em!!

1. How do I prevent my pizza dough from sticking to the pan?

To prevent your pizza dough from sticking to the pan, make sure to lightly oil the pan before placing the dough on it. You can also sprinkle some cornmeal or flour on the pan before adding the dough to create a non-stick surface.

2. What is the best type of flour to use for pizza dough?

The best type of flour to use for pizza dough is “00” flour, also known as pizza flour. It has a higher protein content which results in a chewier and more authentic pizza crust. You can find this type of flour at most grocery stores or specialty food stores.

3. How do I get a crispy crust on my pizza?

To achieve a crispy crust on your pizza, make sure to preheat your oven and baking pan before adding the pizza. You can also brush the edges of the crust with olive oil before baking. Another tip is to bake the pizza on the bottom rack of the oven or directly on a preheated pizza stone.

4. Can I use a regular baking sheet instead of a pizza pan?

Yes, you can use a regular baking sheet instead of a pizza pan. Just make sure to line the baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly oil it to prevent the dough from sticking. Keep in mind that the shape of your pizza may be slightly different when using a baking sheet.

5. How do I know when my pizza is done?

A good rule of thumb is to bake your pizza for 10-12 minutes at 450°F. The crust should be golden brown and the cheese should be melted and bubbly. You can also check the bottom of the pizza crust to make sure it is cooked and not doughy. If the crust is still pale, you may need to bake it for a few more minutes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • Renee Anderson
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
nikked
  • dancedivine