• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mini-Vent- Hosts Who Don't Respect Your Time

In summary, the host has already rescheduled this show on the speaker, and now she is waiting on her husband to call so she can call back. She has also called the speaker multiple times, and each time the speaker has told her that the host is taking a shower or getting ready to leave for an event.
esavvymom
Staff member
I will be so glad when tonight's show is done...IF it happens. This host already rescheduled on me once- and for a good reason, but she waited to the last minute to do so. She never calls me back.

Yesterday, I called for my final host call to get head-count, etc, and she had just broken a tooth so was waiting on her husband to call and said she'd call me back. I didn't expect she would given the circumstances, but now I'm waiting for her- AGAIN!

I called her at noon...her DH said she was getting into the shower, could she call me back? Sure. I said who I was and that I was calling about TONIGHT's Show! It's now 2pm, and still no call. I hate to be a stalker, but I'm tired of this. I've already spent money on food for two shows because of her (she was part of a "free show" promotion). Thankfully, the recipe for tonight is the same as Saturdays, so I could still use the food. Just irritating. :grumpy: It's like my time doesn't matter to her..she's more busy or something. Plus, I think part of it might be that she was my first show for the summer- so she knew my calendar was wide open AT THAT TIME...it's not now, so she may get a shock when she can't just bump the date...again.

Fortunately, my next two shows are all excited and don't hide from me! But tonight's would be good with sales/numbers from what I know so far. I'm going to try to call her - AGAIN. I'm supposed to be there in 4 hrs! Maybe I should just SHOW UP..maybe then she'd get it! (She lives around the corner). Ok. I'm done. I needed to spill it to someone. :D

esavvymom said:
I will be so glad when tonight's show is done...IF it happens. This host already rescheduled on me once- and for a good reason, but she waited to the last minute to do so. She never calls me back.

Yesterday, I called for my final host call to get head-count, etc, and she had just broken a tooth so was waiting on her husband to call and said she'd call me back. I didn't expect she would given the circumstances, but now I'm waiting for her- AGAIN!

I called her at noon...her DH said she was getting into the shower, could she call me back? Sure. I said who I was and that I was calling about TONIGHT's Show! It's now 2pm, and still no call. I hate to be a stalker, but I'm tired of this. I've already spent money on food for two shows because of her (she was part of a "free show" promotion). Thankfully, the recipe for tonight is the same as Saturdays, so I could still use the food. Just irritating. :grumpy: It's like my time doesn't matter to her..she's more busy or something. Plus, I think part of it might be that she was my first show for the summer- so she knew my calendar was wide open AT THAT TIME...it's not now, so she may get a shock when she can't just bump the date...again.

Fortunately, my next two shows are all excited and don't hide from me! But tonight's would be good with sales/numbers from what I know so far. I'm going to try to call her - AGAIN. I'm supposed to be there in 4 hrs! Maybe I should just SHOW UP..maybe then she'd get it! (She lives around the corner). Ok. I'm done. I needed to spill it to someone. :D

I would just show up. I have had host's like that before and end of having great attendance.

You are nice purchasing the food again. I have a disclaimer, that in order to receive the FREE show they show must be held on the originally scheduled date.

pamperedpals said:
I would just show up. I have had host's like that before and end of having great attendance.You are nice purchasing the food again. I have a disclaimer, that in order to receive the FREE show they show must be held on the originally scheduled date.
Live and Learn! :D

You know... Chris Manion asks for a $20 refundable deposit if a host cancels and wants to reschedule. Just a thought.

I'm going to strangle this woman! She just called...now, it's 4pm, I'm supposed to be there at 6pm. She just postponed again! This time- her dog was taken to the vet, apparently has heartworm- don't know anything about that...but she made it sound like he's on death's door. Uggh. Glad SHE has to cancel her show with her friends...if she keeps this up...no one will even show up when she DOES finally have one. I'm starting to wonder if she ever even sent the invites (I offered, but she wouldn't let me do them).Well, on the up-side, I'm ready for my show on Saturday! :DSee, I could handle this better if I've actually had some successful shows- but this is my first show in 9 months....so it stinks that it's not happening, and I was hoping to have a decent June and get bookings from her show too. She's going to get a real shocker when she calls me tomorrow (yeah right..I'll be shocked if she actually calls me like she said) to reschedule another date....My calendar isn't as flexible and empty as it was when she first booked...between NC and several shows booked, she may not get in till NEXT Month- late. Ok...I'll stop ranting, and use this time to practice my show for Saturday. :D I'm not going to let her spoil my week (Tomorrow is my B-day).

Personally, if it were me, if she called, I'd be too busy to reschedule a show with her.
I'm sorry - but the whole dog incident just sounds too convenient. I think it's much more likely that she never invited anyone, and didn't follow through with anything for the show, and is using the dog as an excuse/lie to get out of the show.
I've heard it all before. This is EXACTLY why I started mailing out invites - I got really tired of people canceling at the last moment with "emergencies". It's funny how once I started mailing out the invites, all of those family emergencies/illnesses disappeared!

That's what I'm thinking...At the very least, she's not going to get a show on my calendar until MAYBE late July - or August- when my Free Cooking show offer is off the table! And be more insistent about the invitation list. I was really wanting this show to get me in the local area more. I know Don Funt tells them a date that he needs the list by and anything after that, he rebooks their date if he doesn't have the list. I just need to get the nerve up and play hard-ball with this host. If she wants a show, she has to do it my way. I'm just at a loss. I know for a fact there were several ladies I met who were wanting to go to her show. I have to say, I'm not SURPRISED....last night when I called her, she said she had just broken her tooth. She didnt' even mention that today.

Does anyone know what the name of that host letter is that includes verbage Don Funt uses? I know he tells his hosts(politely of course) that if he doesn't receive their invitation list by a certain date (usu. 3 weeks out), he will have to resell their date. From some Don Funt training notes I found on here: "4 weeks call if don’t have guest list..I’m really looking forward to your show. However I don’t have your guest list yet. If I don’t have it in 2-3 days, I’ll have to sell your date to someone else b/c this is my job & I rely on the income."I know I saw that letter on here somewhere- or thought I did, now I can't find it. Ideas?I've got one that says
"My Pampered Chef business is flexible and fun, and yet it is still my means of earning an income, my family depends on me. If circumstances arise and you find you are not able to have our show on the scheduled date, PLEASE let me know promptly, or I will not have time to open this date to another host. After all, I don’t want to be unemployed for the evening. If you must reschedule, let’s work together to find a good date. Should you later find you need to reschedule your show, I would so appreciate if you know or could suggest someone who might like to do the scheduled show in your place, as it is very hard to fill a last minute cancellation."
I wasn't using it- but I'm going to start figuring out a way to incorporate it into my host packets.

I have a host currently doing this to me. If the show holds on Friday, it will be the 3rd date we've tried. I've called her every day this week and have no gotten a hold of her yet. Ugh!I normally would have sent out the invites for her, but she originally booked in close so we didn't have time for that.

I use this for the guest list. It's one I found on this site and modified...it addresses the need for me to know in advance if they need to cancel.

Attachments

• PC Guest List-final.doc
    51 KB · Views: 346
esavvymom said:
Does anyone know what the name of that host letter is that includes verbage Don Funt uses? I know he tells his hosts(politely of course) that if he doesn't receive their invitation list by a certain date (usu. 3 weeks out), he will have to resell their date. From some Don Funt training notes I found on here: "4 weeks call if don’t have guest list..I’m really looking forward to your show. However I don’t have your guest list yet. If I don’t have it in 2-3 days, I’ll have to sell your date to someone else b/c this is my job & I rely on the income."

I know I saw that letter on here somewhere- or thought I did, now I can't find it. Ideas?

I've got one that says
"My Pampered Chef business is flexible and fun, and yet it is still my means of earning an income, my family depends on me. If circumstances arise and you find you are not able to have our show on the scheduled date, PLEASE let me know promptly, or I will not have time to open this date to another host. After all, I don’t want to be unemployed for the evening. If you must reschedule, let’s work together to find a good date. Should you later find you need to reschedule your show, I would so appreciate if you know or could suggest someone who might like to do the scheduled show in your place, as it is very hard to fill a last minute cancellation."

I wasn't using it- but I'm going to start figuring out a way to incorporate it into my host packets.

Mine says something similar, but I'm not quite as wordy. :) The editor in me is always shortening everything to just what's absolutely necessary!

Thanks Becky for the form. It looks great! I know it will happen- and I'm not unrealistically expecting this will never happen again. It's just frustrating and hard when you're trying to get the business STARTED. But like I said, so far, my upcoming 2 shows are looking good, and I KNOW how many invites when out since I did them (both were about 40 each). So that's a help, plus I got a "contact me" from my PWS this morning from someone in my own neighborhood about hosting a show. I just try to learn what I can from the mistakes and blunders to hopefully avoid most of them....especially ones that cost me money! :D

ChefBeckyD said:
Mine says something similar, but I'm not quite as wordy. :) The editor in me is always shortening everything to just what's absolutely necessary!
Yeah- I'm trying to streamline things- I know hosts will glaze over things very quickly and not actually READ it unless I read it to them. :D For the record- I didn't write either of those...I borrowed them from someone else.

You watch...tonight or tomorrow will be a Triple points day. That would be my luck.

I'm having a problem, too. Both my July hosts just put me off...one indefinately (her credit card was held up from the show she came to so I think she's embarrassed or upset) the others schedule got busy and wants to talk about maybe August. So far I have only two June Cooking shows...neither of which may stick due to low responses and the other Cooking switched to a catty show and I don't think she's working it. Ugh!

Do NOT call her to reschedule! Let her call you - I bet you do not hear from her either. If she does call you, and you are inclined to take another chance on her, do not give her a close-in date. Give her a date far enough out where you have time to get her guest list and do the invites for her. I think that she is totally inconsiderate of you.

Oh, be sure to ask how the dog is the next time you see or talk to her - I bet you will catch her off-guard for a response ;)

esavvymom said:
Thanks Becky for the form. It looks great!

I know it will happen- and I'm not unrealistically expecting this will never happen again. It's just frustrating and hard when you're trying to get the business STARTED. But like I said, so far, my upcoming 2 shows are looking good, and I KNOW how many invites when out since I did them (both were about 40 each). So that's a help, plus I got a "contact me" from my PWS this morning from someone in my own neighborhood about hosting a show.

I just try to learn what I can from the mistakes and blunders to hopefully avoid most of them....especially ones that cost me money! :D

Bobbi,

I started my business in Nov/Dec of '02. I had cancellation after cancellation - almost all of them last minute. In June, I went to a training we had in the area with The Lemonade Lady...and she talked about mailing out the invites. That was a turning point for my business! Once I took control of the invites, my business took off!

You know you have 2 other shows that have successful guest lists, and that the invites were mailed out on time for those shows - that is a GREAT place to start!

Enjoy your birthday tomorrow, and know with confidence that you will have a good show this weekend! Put the deadbeat host/nonshow behind you and move forward with the exciting things that are happening!

I would suggest to her maybe you should turn her show into a catty show, that would be better than no show at all.

pamperedlinda said:
Do NOT call her to reschedule! Let her call you - I bet you do not hear from her either. If she does call you, and you are inclined to take another chance on her, do not give her a close-in date. Give her a date far enough out where you have time to get her guest list and do the invites for her. I think that she is totally inconsiderate of you.

Oh, be sure to ask how the dog is the next time you see or talk to her - I bet you will catch her off-guard for a response ;)

I should ask her DH! If it was a lie, he'd be like "What are you talking about??" or even better..."What dog?" *lol* Nothing would surprise me at this point.

I was not planning on calling her. I'm done chasing her down. And yes, the earliest date on my calendar for HER will be July 29th. And if she wants the bonus product, she WILL hold her show and she WILL give me the guest list.

I had THOUGHT about the catty-show option, since I think most of her guests would have been from a Moose Lodge they are associated with and attend meetings regularly. She'd have an easy time taking catalogs- if she wants something sooner than late July, I'll give her that option, then it's on HER to make it happen, not me. She already has the catalogs and OOFs. I should ask her if she has any Outside Orders- but highly unlikely. I just don't want to waste much more effort on her.

ChefBeckyD said:
Bobbi,

I started my business in Nov/Dec of '02. I had cancellation after cancellation - almost all of them last minute. In June, I went to a training we had in the area with The Lemonade Lady...and she talked about mailing out the invites. That was a turning point for my business! Once I took control of the invites, my business took off!

You know you have 2 other shows that have successful guest lists, and that the invites were mailed out on time for those shows - that is a GREAT place to start!

Enjoy your birthday tomorrow, and know with confidence that you will have a good show this weekend! Put the deadbeat host/nonshow behind you and move forward with the exciting things that are happening!

I intend to! :D

esavvymom said:
If I don’t have it in 2-3 days, I’ll have to sell your date to someone else b/c this is my job & I rely on the income."[/COLOR][/I]

What does he mean by "sell" the date?

Bobbi, I know you never got the guest list, so probably don't have any contact information, but, I'm wondering if anyone who was planning on coming to the party would be interested in hosting one, instead.

I assume they always meant 'sell the date' as just a way they said to rebook it. I'd probably just say rebook the date...makes more sense!I would love to find out if any others would be willing to host- but like you said, I was never given a guest list, so I don't have any info. I'll see how it plays out if she does call me...maybe she has a few outside orders if nothing else.

One of my cluster mates has a cancellation policy, reschedule 2 times and it is an automatic catalog show.

I had a host like that and she didn't even bother to answer my calls until the day before. I left a message that I would be arriving for her show tomorrow 1 hour prior to the show start time. She finally picked up the phone and had her daughter tell me that she wasn't feeling well and had been in bed for several days. Something about her gall bladder !??!!!? I guess her phone only worked one way. I never rescheduled her. Just blessed and released. Not worth the aggravation or my time.

So bless and release. You have a "golden egg" to offer to someone, just keep making your 3 contacts and you will find the one worthy of your "egg".

1. What should I do if my mini-vent host is consistently late or cancels last minute?

If your mini-vent host is consistently late or cancels last minute, it's important to communicate with them and express your concerns. Let them know that their lateness or cancellations are impacting your time and schedule. Offer to reschedule the mini-vent for a time that works better for both of you.

2. How should I handle a mini-vent host who constantly changes the guest list?

If your mini-vent host is constantly changing the guest list, it's important to set boundaries and communicate your expectations. Let them know that changes to the guest list can impact the amount of product you bring and may not allow enough time for you to prepare. You can also suggest that they finalize the guest list a few days before the mini-vent to avoid last minute changes.

3. What should I do if my mini-vent host doesn't provide a space for me to set up my products?

If your mini-vent host doesn't provide a space for you to set up your products, it's important to discuss this with them beforehand. Let them know that you will need a designated space to showcase your products and explain the benefits of having a proper setup. If they are unable to provide a space, you can suggest alternative options such as using a folding table or setting up in a common area.

4. How should I handle a mini-vent host who doesn't follow through on their commitments?

If your mini-vent host doesn't follow through on their commitments, it's important to address this with them directly. Let them know that their actions are impacting your business and ask for their support in following through on their commitments. You can also suggest that they delegate tasks to other guests or family members to ensure that everything gets done.

5. What should I do if my mini-vent host doesn't show up for the event?

If your mini-vent host doesn't show up for the event, it's important to have a backup plan in place. This could include reaching out to the guests who were invited and offering them the opportunity to reschedule or host their own mini-vent. It's also important to have a conversation with your host and express how their absence affected you and your business. This can help prevent similar situations in the future.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lkhartmann
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
msmileyface
  • ChefMommyof3Boys
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
chefa
  • ms_twana