• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Midnight Nighthawks: The Truth About Our Sleep Habits

In summary, everyone on the east coast up after midnight, and it seems every night it is always the same group me included lol. sleep really is overrated according to this nighthawk. They are taking a break from cleaning the house to watch What Not to Wear. Sleep is a long way off for this middle-aged mom. They are also listening to music while they work. Katie says that sleep is when you close your eyes and get some rest. She has a 2yo who still doesn't sleep through the night and this is usually the only time she can type(talk) without help or interruption. The rest of us are just too busy for her.
heather9892
just notice all of us nighthawks, especially on the east coast, up after midnight:D
and it seems every night it is always the same group me included lol
i guess sleep really is overrated lol

hey i can sleep when im dead:D lol

LOL It's still early here in WA State ;)

In fact, I just put a load of laundry in to wash, and I'll stay up til it's dry and folded and put away.... so I'll be up til about 11..... that's not that late (of course, I'm going shopping in the morning........ so I might be hard to get started in the am ;))

I've got three kids - oldest will be 8 on Tuesday and youngest is 15 months... what is this sleep thing you are talking about?

I'm in the middle of grilling chicken, baking brownies, cooking rice, doing laundry, and letting dinner rolls rise (I'm using the PC pizza crust & dinner roll mix). Sleep is a loooooong way off!

I'm taking a break from cleaning the house... I have a fundraiser show for DS's cub scout pack here in about 10 hours...

This is early for me...I don't usually go to bed at least until after midnight...so my brain actually is beginning it's shut-down mode....takes about an hour. Of course, it doesn't help being addicted to CS...keeps me busy when I should be letting things shut down!!! LOL!!!!

Last edited:
Got home from a show not too long ago (it was far away) and am enjoying a snack and a bottle of root beer while watching What Not to Wear. :)

lol
katie that sleep thing? well i think its when u shut ur eyes and get some rest lol
have a 2 yr old who still does not sleep thru :( and this is usually the only time i can type(talk) without help or interuptions

the rest of u are just to busy for me lol

DebbieJ said:
Got home from a show not too long ago (it was far away) and am enjoying a snack and a bottle of root beer while watching What Not to Wear. :)

Oh, I L O V E that show! I liked it better a few years ago when they had Wayne on instead of Clinton...but I do love that show!!

Yeah, most moms I know wouldn't know how to function if they weren't exhuasted from not enough sleep! ;)

isn't that sleep thing a little over rated? I mean you close your eyes and next thing you know you open them and a couple hours go by.

I really should be packing, cleaning, folding clothes but when I get on this thing I just can't stop!

I'm listening to Chris Spheeris while I'm working in the kitchen. I used to love listening to him years ago when I first met my DH, and found one of his CDs about a week ago. It's bringing back some good memories! It's helping to make the time go quickly - dinner rolls still have to rise for another 15 minutes and then need to pop them into the oven...

speaking of which i shud try to get some !! we are going to see "bob the builder" tomorrow at ontario place :)
fun wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!
lucky me lol

"Can we fix it?"

"YES WE CAN!"

Sooooo remember those days (well, it WAS only a few months ago!)

heather9892 said:
lol
katie that sleep thing? well i think its when u shut ur eyes and get some rest lol
have a 2 yr old who still does not sleep thru :( and this is usually the only time i can type(talk) without help or interuptions

the rest of u are just to busy for me lol

Ooohhh - THAT is what sleep is. And don't worry about your 2yo... it will come eventually. My 3yo DS didn't start sleeping through the night until after he was 3!!!

I've been working third shift lately, so usually I get to post all night and get way ahead of everyone.I'm off that shift for a couple of weeks, but I just got home from a 650 mile joyride for work, and I'm trying to wind down a bit before I retire.

I always hated working 3rds at the hospital when I had to switch back to 1st quickly... never did adjust well. Oh well, that is what caffiene is for!

Did the 3rd shift thing as a nurse. Still can only nap & its been 6 years.:rolleyes:
Also did a stint on days at the same hospital but I was least senior & therefore the one that had to float to the off shifts. I actually would work all three shifts during a week.:eek: So I posted to straight nights to have some continuity. All my VIPs are day folks, so I left there. No more nights, weekends or holidays for me!:)

I also hated the "Hitler" channel, aka the History Channel. All the men would have it blaring in their room at night.

Hmmm...one of my favorites. Wonder what that says? It changes to paid programming (read: infomercials) about 3 AM anyway. Maybe you're not old enough to appreciate history yet - and those who do not know history are doomed to relive it.Also like the Discovery channel for Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters.

My oldest DS (8 next week) loves to watch the History Channel with my brother (22yo). We don't have cable or satellite, but he has discovered NOVA on PBS and we watch it every Tuesday at 8p!

Modern Marvels always has something interesting, Mega Movers has done some interesting (and some pretty boring) things. Modern Marvels did an episode about the huge mining shovels that were built over the years - many of them were built here by Bucyrus-Erie, later Bucyrus International.When I was growing up, we always wondered about the weird name. A few years ago, when I got interested in The Lincoln Highway and drove it coast to coast, I went through the city of Bucyrus, Ohio. I figured that there had to be a connection, and there is!The original Bucyrus Company was founded in Bucyrus, Ohio in the mid 19th Century. The company outgrew its facilities, and tried to get the Bucyrus city fathers to help build larger facilites - they didn't - so the company moved to South Milwaukee, Wisconsin where they remain to this day.Some things never change.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Hmmm...one of my favorites. Wonder what that says? It changes to paid programming (read: infomercials) about 3 AM anyway. Maybe you're not old enough to appreciate history yet - and those who do not know history are doomed to relive it.

Also like the Discovery channel for Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters.

This kind of pertains to my Bridge thread....KG, if you are a viewer of Dirty Jobs, (I am too...) Did you ever see the one where Mike was working on The Mighty Mac? I saw pics on the bridge website...and don't recall seeing that episode.

I usually tune into CNN or Fox news channel to avoid infomercials.

It just sounded funny when he would talk with his classmates in 1st grade about watching NOVA and the like! His teachers were impressed, but the other kids kinda whet "duh?"

pcchris said:
This kind of pertains to my Bridge thread....KG, if you are a viewer of Dirty Jobs, (I am too...) Did you ever see the one where Mike was working on The Mighty Mac? I saw pics on the bridge website...and don't recall seeing that episode. I usually tune into CNN or Fox news channel to avoid infomercials.
No, I was noticing that, too. I also missed the one where they were collecting bull semen for cow insemination.There's a very popular dish named after that procedure, easy to make, too.The world's largest purveyor of bull semen is near Madison...and I'm stopping now before I get into any more trouble than I'm already in.

pcchris said:
This kind of pertains to my Bridge thread....KG, if you are a viewer of Dirty Jobs, (I am too...) Did you ever see the one where Mike was working on The Mighty Mac? I saw pics on the bridge website...and don't recall seeing that episode.

I usually tune into CNN or Fox news channel to avoid infomercials.

Of course, I could just turn off the tv and go to bed, but what would be the fun in that?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
No, I was noticing that, too. I also missed the one where they were collecting bull semen for cow insemination.

There's a very popular dish named after that procedure, easy to make, too.

The world's largest purveyor of bull semen is near Madison...and I'm stopping now before I get into any more trouble than I'm already in.

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sick0012.gif

I'm not even going to comment...wait, I just did!!!

I don't think I saw that one either...I saw one with horses, and he was collecting...hmmm...a "donation". Didn't see the one with the bull though.

that's an entertaining show.

We were at the Indy Zoo last year with the critters (7 and 2 at the time). In the children's area - of all places - two mules were getting "friendly". It was really crowded right then and all of the adults started turning away and trying to get their kids away as well. It was working well until one little girl (maybe 4 or so) yelled VERY loudly - much to the complete embarassment of her parents - "Look mommy. That donkey is giving the other donkey a piggy back ride!" Fortunately, my kids were too short and never did see the "piggy back ride" - they were very disappointed!

ROFLMAO!I was at a parade a few years ago...no, better not tell that one up here. It's along those same lines, though, with a stallion and a group of junior high school pom girls - it was quite humorous.

Oooo... save that one for the bar at Wave 1... would probably be even funnier after a drink or two!

Remind it - it is a very funny story but too much of an adult nature.I'm off to bed now, keep the thread goin'.

Will do!!!

Oh wait... no one here to type at...

stupid 30 sec rule!

Someone will show up sooner or later.

That's right. It's one of the early risers. You know, the people who get no sleep at the other end of the spectrum.

I went to bed at 8pm yesterday and it was a long day... so I've been up since 3:30am!

Are you naturally a lark (like Rae) or is your metabolism just screwed up like mine?

lol i go to bed at 1am get up at 6am to find 37 posts!!!!!!!!!!
sleep is definately over rated!!!!!
especially for kg

Sleep is a necessary evil ~ one third of the day shot. ;)

I've been up since 8a (didn't go to bed until 3:30a or so), cleaned the house and had a fundraiser show here for DSs cub scout pack. Now I have to go watch a VeggieTales video with the middle child - he just informed me that my eyes can't be watching the tv if I'm looking at the computer. He still doesn't get the "moms have eyes in the back of their heads" thing... guess I should go watch.

He's a smart cookie - must be a chip off the ol' block, huh?

Related to Midnight Nighthawks: The Truth About Our Sleep Habits

1. What is "Midnight Nighthawks"?

"Midnight Nighthawks" is a phrase used to describe people who tend to stay up late and have a hard time falling asleep before midnight.

2. Why do some people have a hard time falling asleep before midnight?

There can be many reasons for this, including biological factors, lifestyle habits, and environmental factors. Some people may have a natural tendency to be more active and alert at night, while others may have trouble winding down after a busy day. It's important to identify the specific factors that may be contributing to your difficulty falling asleep and address them accordingly.

3. Is it healthy to stay up past midnight?

It depends on the individual and their specific sleep needs. While some people may function well on fewer hours of sleep, most adults need an average of 7-9 hours of sleep per night for optimal health and functioning. Staying up past midnight on a regular basis can lead to sleep deprivation, which can have negative impacts on physical and mental health.

4. How can I improve my sleep habits if I am a "Midnight Nighthawk"?

There are several strategies you can try to improve your sleep habits. Start by establishing a consistent bedtime routine, avoiding caffeine and electronics before bed, and creating a comfortable sleep environment. Additionally, practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation can help calm the mind and promote better sleep.

5. Is it okay to be a "Midnight Nighthawk" or should I try to change my sleep habits?

It ultimately depends on your individual needs and preferences. Some people naturally function better at night and may not need as much sleep as others. However, if staying up past midnight is causing problems in your daily life, it may be worth considering making changes to your sleep habits. Consult with a healthcare professional if you are concerned about your sleep patterns.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lkprescott
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
twinchefs
Replies
Views
AnnieBee