• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What caused us to wake up at 4:20 a.m. on a Sunday morning?

enjoyable?We missed you too!The tree did more damage than we thought it would. It's going to be expensive to get it removed. Luckily, the wood will be usable. We were also worried about the electricity traveling through the roots and hitting our house. That was really scary.
raebates
Staff member
Imagine this: It's Sunday, December 23. You're sound asleep, warm in your own little bed, when you're awakened at 4:20 a.m. by what seems to be a rare earthquake in north-central Indiana. (Yes, when I'm not temping, I sleep in until the very decadent time of 5 a.m., so I was sound asleep.) The house shook. There was a huge rumbling noise. Things fell off shelves all over the house.

Upon further inspection, we discovered that the beautiful, old 80' Norway spruce in front of our house had fallen on our house. :eek: It hit lengthwise near the peak of the roof, then most of it rolled off. It was a victim of the high winds we had during the night. I've attached pictures.

No one was hurt. The damage is much less than it could have been. Our home is over 120 years old, and built of native timber. It can withstand quite a blow. It was a bit freaky, though. For the rest of the day the view out every westward window was tree branches.

We were supposed to have had a house guest that night. One of our DS's friends had a college friend coming into town who needed a place for the night. At the last minute, she found a place with another friend. Can you imagine how frightening it would have been for her to be sleeping in the house of strangers when that happened?

We're just thankful that it:

• didn't hit our LP tank, taking out our heat or starting a fire.
  • missed our electrical box by mere inches, leaving our electricity flowing.
  • didn't fall the other direction, where it would have totaled The Furry Guy's van.
  • didn't take out a single window, which was a real possibility with all those branches.

Friends and family came over on Monday, after the winds had died down, and helped The Furry Guy to move the tree and cover the damaged areas of the roof. It crunched in a bit of the drywall in the storage room where it hit, but we hadn't gotten around to remodeling that room yet.

The biggest annoyance at the moment is that it took out our tv antenna. It's really a minor annoyance, though.

Our baby boy has flown back to Texas. We're in the process of gathering estimates for the insurance company. Removal of the tree alone has been estimated at $975, since it's nearly impossible to get the big equipment back to where the tree came to rest.

Attachments

• Where the tree used to be.pdf
    275.7 KB · Views: 394
  • View from the northwest.pdf
    335.2 KB · Views: 349
As I said in my e-mail...SOOOOOO glad you and your family were safe! I hope the insurance makes everything right for you!...and that you had a great Christmas with your son home!Glad to have you back!

I am thankful that no one was hurt and no major damage done. I bet that was frightening. Until we got out trees removed we always worried about the trees falling on our house during hurrican season and all of them we right outside our bedrooms. I am thankful they are gone now, although, I do miss the shade.

Praise the Lord you all are fine!

YIKES! YIKES! AND YIKES! that gives a whole new meaning to "O Christmas Tree"!!!

So glad that you and hubby and son are OK~

and that you are back with us!

Rae! Oh my! God was looking out for you! I'm so glad that the damage wasn't worse.I was thinking of you over Christmas. We were out of town and ate out quite a bit. I was very generous in my tipping (especially when we went out for b-fast on Christmas Day) and was sure to tell our servers how much I appreciated them! :) I might need your cards again...

wow, im so glad your safe. but what a way to wake up.

Rae....we missed the heck right out of you!! WOW!!!! The pictures are incredible and the fact that it did as little damage as it did...a miracle. Your Guardian Angels may have to apply for workman's comp for keeping that tree at arms length.

I love trees around the house, especially in the summer. This tree looks like it will leave a large empty area in your yard.

The cost to have it removed is so darn high. Hopefully either you can use the wood or someone can buy it off you to help cut some of the costs.

Several years ago when I was still with my ex, our neighbor's tree was struck by lightening. Luckily, not much damage was done to the tree, however, the electricity traveled through the roots, which lie under the road. It went through the roots and hit our house ruining our tv, heater and garage door opener. Pretty frightening.

Sorry to ramble...SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK!! We missed you! :love: Hope your holidays were good!

RAE IS BACK!!! :) happy dance ♪♫♪

Miss Rae, so glad that everyone is alright, and I'm sorry about the house, and the tree- it's hard to lose a good tree. We lost our Russian Olive tree this past fall during some wind storms. Most of it fell in the neighbors yard, but I still miss that darn twig!

baychef said:
Rae....we missed the heck right out of you!! WOW!!!! The pictures are incredible and the fact that it did as little damage as it did...a miracle. Your Guardian Angels may have to apply for workman's comp for keeping that tree at arms length.

I love trees around the house, especially in the summer. This tree looks like it will leave a large empty area in your yard.

The cost to have it removed is so darn high. Hopefully either you can use the wood or someone can buy it off you to help cut some of the costs.

Several years ago when I was still with my ex, our neighbor's tree was struck by lightening. Luckily, not much damage was done to the tree, however, the electricity traveled through the roots, which lie under the road. It went through the roots and hit our house ruining our tv, heater and garage door opener. Pretty frightening.

Sorry to ramble...SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK!! We missed you! :love: Hope your holidays were good!

I'm pretty handy with a chainsaw! DH says I have "way more fun" with a chainsaw than is healthy. hee-hee. I can come and chop down yer tree parts for you. Where do you live? I'll even give you a discount! Do you have a local composte site? We do, thankfully, and the tree that we lost filled up the DH's truck bed 2 times (small compared to your mammoth twig) and cost us $10.00 per load to "dump". I did all the chopping because as I mentioned earlier, I love power tools and the chain saw is my new favorite!:blushing:

wow, glad you guys are ok

Oh my goodness Rae! So happy you are all okay.

Wow Rae!! I am so glad you're all OK and the damage was not as bad as it could have been although it looks pretty bad to me!
I am glad you're ok!
I missed ya!

Yeah, Rae...we had to nurse Carolyn back to health after we kicked her butt so hard to go to the doctor and get the carbunkle on her ear checked out. She put ancient earrings in her pierced ear which still had active cooties. Then she gave herself and allergic reaction when she tried to nurse her crusty carbunkled ear.

We are hoping you will be at conference 2008 Wave one so we can discuss this medical event over breakfast as we did gyno issues at the 2007 conference!! :yuck:

Thank goodness you're all ok and the damage wasn't too severe. Don't you just hate seeing old, beautiful trees lost?

I can totally relate after having two do the same thing. Luckily, not on the house but in the front yard, just missing both our trucks by about 5 feet. Until hurricane Rita, that is. lol 15 trees down and only one on the house and it only caught the corner of the carport. My truck didn't fare so well that time. Tree through the windshield. Sometimes I wonder if living in the country is safe. lol

Well, the estimate for the tree removal was just for the insurance company. The brush will be placed at the edge of the property for critter homes. The rest will go to friends who heat with wood. It really does leave a big hole in the sky. The tree used to stand outside our front window. The view still startles me a bit.Ann, thanks for keeping Carolyn in line. I'll be at Wave 1, and I'll be glad to share my hysterectomy details with everyone. Hee, hee.

Wow Rae! So glad you're okay!

The view still startles me a bit.

When I got home from our evacuation, and saw my backyard, all I could do is stand on the deck and cry. All the trees that had been there when I was a kid (this was my grandparents' place) were on the ground. It still makes me sad because I know it'll never be the same in my lifetime. I had taken pics of deer in the yard a few weeks before and after looking at them, it's really apparent how big the difference is. It definitely takes some getting used to.

Rae...that first picture shows just how much God was watching over you guys! I can't believe that the tree didn't go straight INTO the house! It looks like it broke off, glanced off the house, and rolled off the roof?!! Thank God He was watching over you and I am very glad you are all safe!

Rae,
glad you are all safe.
Teresa

Rae- I'm so glad that you, your family, and your home are safe.

Welcome back, Rae! Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but am so glad there were no injuries!

Rae, so glad you and your family are all okay! It's nice to have you back online - you've been missed!

Trees falling on the house are a big fear of mine - we have 2 large old trees in our front yard, and every time there is a strong wind, big branches come down. I'm going to show the pictures and share the story with DH - maybe then he'll think about cutting them down. Now, he's more concerned about losing the shade.:rolleyes:

Glad everyone is safe.

Rae... Glad you are ok and good to "see" you!

RAE...I missed you so much!!! I am so sorry about the tree but I am happy that you are ok!!!!

Wow, Rae! I remember those winds that night--they were SO strong--obviously! So many Christmas decorations were blown over on houses when we were driving around over the weekend.

Welcome back Rae and Praise God that He had angels all over your place that night! :)

OMG, thank goodness you and your family are alright!! Take care Rae:)

Wow, amazing it didn't do more damage! I'm so glad it wasn't worse and everyone is okay!

The wind was terrible - we lost power for 3 hours and we never lose power (our cables are burried)!

Hopefully you can get some of that wood cut up this weekend when the weather will be much warmer! I wouldn't want to go outside now! I'm looking forward to those 50's - it's going to feel like spring!

Wow! I'm glad you guys were okay:)

Rae, God & your Guardian Angels were watching out for you & yours! I'm so glad you all are safe and that the damage wasn't worse.

My DD lives in a 93 yr old house with a huge old tree that is too close. They are thinking of taking it down this year. I'll show them your story & pictures to assist in the decision making process.

1. What caused the tree to fall on the house?

The tree fell due to high winds during the night. It was a victim of the strong gusts that occurred in north-central Indiana on that Sunday morning.

2. Why did the tree fall at 4:20 a.m. on a Sunday morning?

The tree fell at 4:20 a.m. due to the strong winds that were present during that time. The timing was a coincidence and not a specific cause of the tree falling.

3. Was anyone hurt during the incident?

No, thankfully no one was hurt. The damage to the house was minimal and no injuries were sustained.

4. What were the potential dangers of the tree falling on the house?

If the tree had fallen in a different direction, it could have caused more damage. It also could have hit important structures like the LP tank or the electrical box, which could have resulted in a fire or loss of electricity.

5. How much did it cost to remove the fallen tree?

The estimated cost for tree removal was $975 due to the difficulty of accessing the tree and the size of the equipment needed. This cost will be covered by insurance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nikked
Replies
Views
chefkristin
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies