• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Surviving Childhood: Born Between 1920-1979 and the Adventures We Had Growing Up

In summary, the conversation highlights the differences in upbringing and lifestyle of kids who grew up in the 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s compared to the present generation. It discusses how kids from the past survived various challenges and risks, such as riding bikes without helmets, drinking water from the garden hose, and playing outside for hours without supervision. The conversation also touches on the idea of raising a generation of "wusses" and how society has changed for the worse. The participants express their concerns about the entitlement and lack of responsibility in today's youth and the challenges of raising children in today's society.
chefkristin
Gold Member
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants &children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones , no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.... ...

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

When we were sent to our rooms for punishment (imagine that! consequences for doing something wrong!), it WAS punishment because we didn't have a TV or a phone in our room.

We rode bikes with no helmets. Sometimes with several people on the same bike.

There were no designer sneakers. We had sneakers from K-Mart, and wore them everywhere except school and church.

Yet, we same brave ones made the world we are living in today. How sad is that?!

We're raising a generation of wusses.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Yes, yes we are!

At least we can change it in our own families.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Yes we are and it is so sad....

Don't even get my husband started on the whole "entitlement generation" it makes us sick to see how demanding kids have gotten.

As for the changing it in our own families.... it really is tough since society has changed and not for the better on this matter. We are working hard to raise honest, hardworking children but it feels like an uphill battle some days!

It is so hard. My sisters are trying, but they have to counter what the kids see on TV and hear from their friends. While staying with my sister this past weekend, I corrected her oldest, who is 4. She sassed back - not horribly, but made some little snotty comment. My sister was on her like white on rice, "You do NOT talk to adults like that! Aunt Ann told you to do something and you need to listen to her." Didn't have any problems with her the rest of the weekend. :) But then, her kids get to watch MAYBE 30 minutes of TV a day (PBS Kids only), no video games in the house, computer for adults only, etc. And they have to do another thing that's not mentioned in the list above: use a title when addressing adults. It's "Miss Beth", not "Beth" when referring to a neighbor.

Here's a song that is based on this topic... it is so true! And I was even raised in the 80's....A Different World
Artist(Band):Bucky CovingtonWe were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
We got daddy's belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outsideChorus
It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different worldSchool always started the same every day
The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
Not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all rightChorusBridge
No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
And every Sunday, all the stores were closedChorusChorusIt was a different world

Wow! You brought back some memories!

As long as you don't "give in to the world's way" it can be done. It is hard though. A big problem is that parents have gotten lazy when it comes to discipline and consistency. Families don't spend a lot of time together so kids are learning thier values from others (usually not good influences). I can go on and on but I'd be here all day and probably step on some toes. Let's just say that my daughter fears the Lord and the PC Small Mix n' Scraper.

It definitely was a treat to be brought up back in those days. I wish sometimes we could go back those days. It was tough, like Ann said going to your room with no TV or phone.:p
Does anybody remember the groups like Journey, Eagles, Styx, Ozzy Osbourne, Motley Crue?

PamperedTammy said:
It definitely was a treat to be brought up back in those days. I wish sometimes we could go back those days. It was tough, like Ann said going to your room with no TV or phone.:p
Does anybody remember the groups like Journey, Eagles, Styx, Ozzy Osbourne, Motley Crue?
Yes Ma'am! I listened to all of them! Our wedding song was Paradise by Styx.

I second (or third or whatever) the idea of changing it with our own kids. We work really hard with our children to teach them respect others. My best friend has a dd in my dd's dance class. She was telling me about the class last night & how the girls (not ours) were so rude & weren't behaving. My dd knew that if she acted up, she'd not only get in trouble from Angie (my bf) but also from us when we heard about it!

Our hard part is that my oldest dd goes to her dad's where they aren't as 'strict' with the respect issue & think it's cute when little girls where string bikini hot pink underwear. She has once in a while come home with them on accidentally & tells me that Daddy reminded her not to wear them here b/c they know I don't like them but she forgot. GRRR. While that's a different topic, it makes me so mad!

I wanna know whatever happened to "Because I Said so"?

grayby said:
Please, please don't anyone take this the wrong way, because I can already hear in my head that it's not going to come out sounding right.

Many parents nowadays treat children like miniature adults. That includes providing justification or explanation for everything. So the kids expect it. That's what happened to "Because I said so." Use that with a kid now, and they'll get all snotty, thinking they're entitled to an explanation.

Great thread, so true that we are rasing a bunch of weenies!! I hear that from my DH all the time!

grayby said:
I say this all the time and swore pre-kids that I never would!

I also remember that once when I was about 8 (I am SO dating myself here), I was notorius for running the neighborhood without my Mom knowing where I was. She would panic and I would be punished (imagine that!). My punishment was that I couldn't watch "Welcome Back Kotter". My Mom was even mean enough :) that she would send me to my room and turn the TV up just enough for me to hear the opening theme song............TORTURE!

In saying this, I then just last week had to punish my 7-yo DD by taking away a week of "Hannah Montana"....amazing how we tend to do exactly the things that worked best on us!

"Many parents nowadays treat children like miniature adults."

Exactly. Since when does a 3 year old understand the logic behind eat your veggies, or clean your room? Fine when they're older, but it's almost humorous - like the Tostitos commercial. For me, it's right up there with not teaching them manners (or whatever) because you don't want to ruin their childhood by nagging them. (sigh)

ack

I remember all my dad had to do was bulge his eyes. That was the scariest thing ever when I was a kid. He is an awesome dad though. I just wish I could get my kid to listen to us like we listened to my dad.

chefmeg said:
I say this all the time and swore pre-kids that I never would!

I also remember that once when I was about 8 (I am SO dating myself here), I was notorius for running the neighborhood without my Mom knowing where I was. She would panic and I would be punished (imagine that!). My punishment was that I couldn't watch "Welcome Back Kotter". My Mom was even mean enough :) that she would send me to my room and turn the TV up just enough for me to hear the opening theme song............TORTURE!

In saying this, I then just last week had to punish my 7-yo DD by taking away a week of "Hannah Montana"....amazing how we tend to do exactly the things that worked best on us!
Your parents let you watch Welcome Back, Kotter when you were 8?!? :eek: Good grief!

It is tough to buck the world today. I spent a lot of my time explaining that "we don't do that in this house." I was the mean mom for many years. Thankfully, that boy is now an adult. At 21 he is a leader. He handles responsibility well, and is often told by people in authority that he has a maturity beyond his years. He actually began thanking The Furry Guy and me for the way we've raised him when he was about 17 years old. I have to say, though, that society is even worse now than when our DS was in elementary school. I don't envy parents just starting out the process.

UUGGHH!!! It is going to be a long 12 years!!!

Christ Follower said:
As long as you don't "give in to the world's way" it can be done. It is hard though. A big problem is that parents have gotten lazy when it comes to discipline and consistency. Families don't spend a lot of time together so kids are learning thier values from others (usually not good influences). I can go on and on but I'd be here all day and probably step on some toes. Let's just say that my daughter fears the Lord and the PC Small Mix n' Scraper.

That's right!!! I don't believe in sparing the rod and neither did my Granny! It's truly amazing what parents allow their own children to do! It's like the children are the adults now and the parents are trying to be the friend instead of the parent:confused: .

I was raised to say Yes, Ma'am, No Ma'am and Yes, Sir, No, Sir...and my daughter has been raised the same way! We've come across people who will ask not to be addressed like that, but I tell them it's habit and it show respect as well.

Oh, and let's not get on how little girls aren't little girls anymore! That's a whole other subject! I think some people view me as being old fashioned, but as long as I'm walking right with the Lord and allowing Him to lead me...theycan call me whatever!

Okay, let me get off here...I can definitely go on and on :)

raebates said:
It is tough to buck the world today. I spent a lot of my time explaining that "we don't do that in this house." I was the mean mom for many years. Thankfully, that boy is now an adult. At 21 he is a leader. He handles responsibility well, and is often told by people in authority that he has a maturity beyond his years. He actually began thanking The Furry Guy and me for the way we've raised him when he was about 17 years old.

I have to say, though, that society is even worse now than when our DS was in elementary school. I don't envy parents just starting out the process.

Another reason why I home school! I hear the whole socializing issue a lot and I have to tell people that my daughter (if she was to go to public school) does not go to school to socialize...she go to learn! And, the type of socializing they seem to get at school is negative. Okay, not all schools, but it s a valid point I believe.

After her piano class today a lady was standing by the door and commented on how mature she is...and she is...epople tell us this all the time, but it's how we have raised her...and to God be all the glory! She just nine, but she seems so wise beyond her years.

chefann said:
Please, please don't anyone take this the wrong way, because I can already hear in my head that it's not going to come out sounding right.

Many parents nowadays treat children like miniature adults. That includes providing justification or explanation for everything. So the kids expect it. That's what happened to "Because I said so." Use that with a kid now, and they'll get all snotty, thinking they're entitled to an explanation.

I know exactly what you mean! I don't even use this phrase, because my daughter BETTER NOT even say anything back when I ask her to do something and if it looks like she is taking to long to do it...I just give her the eye and she knows! We don't play around here;) !

My hubby is a Vice Principal and you wouldn't believe the stories he come home with. That's another reason why we are firm...not crazy, we just believe children should be children and behave as such!

chefann said:

Kids are NOT small adults. They cannot cognitively process the justifications and explanations so parents who offer that are just blowing hot air. In my house we follow the 1-2-3 Magic program and it works. There is NO explaining why they need to do something/not do something/listen/ get something etc...I am the parent and they will listen - period...because I said so!!

chefkristin said:
I remember all my dad had to do was bulge his eyes. That was the scariest thing ever when I was a kid. He is an awesome dad though. I just wish I could get my kid to listen to us like we listened to my dad.

I can shoot my kids "the look" from across a room and they stop dead in their tracks. My mom can STILL shoot me "the look" and I freeze!

dannyzmom said:
I can shoot my kids "the look" from across a room and they stop dead in their tracks. My mom can STILL shoot me "the look" and I freeze!

We have the same thing in our house... I shoot the look my my DD freezes.. so does DH becasue they know they have done something wrong!!!!

dannyzmom said:
Kids are NOT small adults. They cannot cognitively process the justifications and explanations so parents who offer that are just blowing hot air. In my house we follow the 1-2-3 Magic program and it works. There is NO explaining why they need to do something/not do something/listen/ get something etc...I am the parent and they will listen - period...because I said so!!

Well said....... their children.. and they need to follow simple directions and rules.. pretty simple....... What is the 1-2-3 magic program??? I have never heard of it. But my DD understand that I am the adult and that the rules are what they are end of story.

mommyhugz1978 said:
Well said....... their children.. and they need to follow simple directions and rules.. pretty simple....... What is the 1-2-3 magic program??? I have never heard of it. But my DD understand that I am the adult and that the rules are what they are end of story.

http://www.parentmagicstore.com/All-Products/1-2-3-Magic-Parenting

I believe the Bible says "Train up a child in the way he should go and he will never depart from it" Proverbs 22:6 There were many times that I was not the perfect angel that my parents wanted. But by george if they told me do to something I better do it. There were no responses like "why" or "I am not doing it." I was taught all the "respect" in the world, but I feel in my heart that I am a better person today because my parents taught me right from wrong. They gave me boundaries and helped me to explore options.
And I feel we as parents feel guilty about being too "busy" that we want to give everything to our children. Instead of making time for them. Just like giving them candy at the grocery store. "Well I don't want to hear them throw a fit so I am going to get this gum for him." This is my own opinion and I am just sharing because after working with children for the last 18 years, things have really definitely changed. Thank God we have Pampered Chef to be able to make time for our families just like Doris did many years ago.:)

You know something funny my daughter is 6 years old... and she knows that when we go to the store that we are their for a reason. she has never asked me to go to the toy section, she has never asked me for candy.... she just does not do those kinds of things. Then again I have never told her if your good they I will get you a treat... Why do I as a parent have to bribe my child to be good at the store or when we go someplace??? I don't' it is plain and simple they need to be good end of story!!! My daughter is a good kid.. the most she might say at the store is she has to go potty.... or what's for dinner... LOL but what child does not???

I taught high school kids in inner city Dallas and I think the real breakdown is that somewhere someone told kids-respect is earned not given. I had to fail 98% of my students the first 6 weeks I taught when I took over in the middle of the year from a substitute who let them watch TV all class period and get an A. They had quizes and test and earned their grade. I was 22 looked 16 and I am only 5' tall so earn respect I did. I told them I earned it with 2 degrees from Baylor U and a degree with honors. It was soo hard but by the end of the year those kids LOVED me and I learned the clever art of psychological warfare with adolescents.

Now that I have 2 toddlers and I just found out #3 is on its way--I am trying to teach them respect and I firmly believe spare the rod spoil the child. Although my boys are small (3 & 2) they say please, thank you, your welcome, understand mommy's on the bluetooth and I have a death stare that makes them apologize for the action they were about to committ.

My concern is how do I teach them to defend themselves, while teaching them that fighting is wrong and to turn the other cheek. I am not sure I can so I may stick with the Dr. Laura mentality of fighting to defend yourself is great but not to bully.

That's one reason I like my PC business. I can stay home with the girls (17 & 13). I was able to be room mother, GS leader.

It's harder now that they are teenagers because they push the button to see how far they can go.

We always get complimented on our kids being behaved and mature for their age. I told a teen at church (preacher's kid) to get her feet down off the chair because it wasn't polite or lady like! She justed glared at me, but she did it.

Parents are so wrapped up to make sure their kid is in every activity that they aren't home with them to parent them and they depend on the schools to do it.

Ann R.

jenniferknapp said:
Here's a song that is based on this topic... it is so true! And I was even raised in the 80's....

A Different World
Artist(Band):Bucky Covington

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
We got daddy's belt when we misbehaved
Had three TV channels you got up to change
No video games and no satellite
All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outside

Chorus

It was a different life
When we were boys and girls
Not just a different time
It was a different world

School always started the same every day
The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
Not every kid made the team when they tried
We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

Chorus

Bridge
No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

Chorus

Chorus

It was a different world
I love this song,:D not only does it bring back tons of memories but it's also so true! It's amazing how petrified parents are today and my comment is always "how many times did we do that as kids? And we are all still here!":rolleyes:
Thanks, Kristin, for the walk down memory lane!:balloon:

I was born in 1981 and I turned out ok...:angel:

I agree with the song whole-heartedly, I was born in '77 and remember so much of what he talks about and can't help but smile:D ! I do want to express that a parent does have to respect their children to a certain extent.. I don't treat my 3 year old like an adult but I do "reason" and explain things to her and I get a lot of compiments on how well behaved my children are.:p I think respect is something that is earned on all ends; it's not something you are born into. I am not saying my children are perfect by any means and I am not a perfect parent, I would never claim to be, but children will be children and it is normal for a child to act like one (hey,it happens:rolleyes: ), even in public:grumpy: . It doesn't mean they are a bad child however if they do act up in public and elsewhere it should be dealt with. I definitely don't bribe my children but I do feel that rewards are deserved at times. I know that this is a comment that is hard to explain but I believe (and this is just my beliefs) that my children are not spoiled :mad: they are loved :love: ....

By the way, the bamboo spatulas work just as well as the scrapers and you can slam them on doorways to get their attention quickly. I was raised in fear of wooden spoons and my mom claims to have broken a couple in our years growing up. I am one of 4 and I would like to say none of those were due to me, but I would probably be wrong. Bamboo is much stronger than wood and I keep teasing my mother that PC should have been around when I was young, then maybe she wouldn't have broken any. She just laughs.

PamperedTammy said:
I believe the Bible says "Train up a child in the way he should go and he will never depart from it" Proverbs 22:6 There were many times that I was not the perfect angel that my parents wanted. But by george if they told me do to something I better do it. There were no responses like "why" or "I am not doing it." I was taught all the "respect" in the world, but I feel in my heart that I am a better person today because my parents taught me right from wrong. They gave me boundaries and helped me to explore options.
And I feel we as parents feel guilty about being too "busy" that we want to give everything to our children. Instead of making time for them. Just like giving them candy at the grocery store. "Well I don't want to hear them throw a fit so I am going to get this gum for him." This is my own opinion and I am just sharing because after working with children for the last 18 years, things have really definitely changed. Thank God we have Pampered Chef to be able to make time for our families just like Doris did many years ago.:)

AMEN! You said it perfectly!

My husband and I were just having this discussion this evening. Our 10 year old has to ask "why" every time we tell him he can't do something or to do something. My husband thinks I owe him an explanation. I told my husband that I do not owe him anything except food and shelter (not exactly)! :p What I did say was that I don't have to justify to a ten year old why I've said something. Our son is notorious for debating. He just wants to find out the reason to try to shoot holes through the theory. He is the worst one when it comes down to that talking back stuff. He is almost as tall as I am now and sometimes it takes all of God's power to keep me from smacking that child in the mouth! I keep telling my husband we need to get on the same page so we can get a handle on his attitude, but he wants to be their friend and I'm trying to parent.

Don't get me wrong...I make mistakes PLENTY!! I just don't want to have to worry if my kids are in the company of other people (spend the night with a friend or go someplace with a friend). I want to rest assured knowing that a bad report will not come home. So far, so good. That is actually the amazing thing. He is perfect outside of our house, but with his family he is a totally different creature. If his teachers ever saw him talking to us the way he does he would die of embarrassment! He knows better. We have let him slip too many times apparently.

My husband and I also disagree on which television programs are appropriate. My guideline is if it is not animated then the actors cannot be in grades higher than they are. I don't like them watching shows with teenagers. Teenagers are experiencing thing that my 9 and 10 year old do not need to know about right now. I also will listen to the program for a few minutes and if the kids are sassing back or being disrespectful they have to change it. If it is an animated show I have to watch a few minutes of it to make sure it is not...basically the same thing. Although they try to slip in some major agendas in those older kids cartoons.

So, if I had to grade our parenting we would not be passing. I am hoping to slip in some extra credit though. If my husband and I were on the same page I know things would be smoother here. I'm not saying that I'm always right or he's always wrong...we just haven't found OUR right way. And that leads to confusion and the kids trying to play us against each other.

Wow!! That's long! Goodness...so sorry!

Long, but a lot of good points... besides it's average length on this thread! LOL

I was born in 1984, but was raised living with my mom and my grandparents, as can agree with many of the things in the original post. I find it weird talking to a younger cousin and saying something, like "why don't you just go over and see if she's home" if the phone is busy and then getting the response that they need to call first and they can't bike more than x blocks away, a parent needs to drive them. It's so weird! I can understand the whole safety thing, but come on, I was just fine crossing those big streets on my bike with no helmut following traffice signs and there was no calling first... it was all about biking around the neighborhood seeing who was out or at the park. If it wasn't raining, you can sure bet I was outside. The only TV during the day was grandma's general hospital time. I feel so weird, as I am only 23, so technically I am Gen Y, but I was raised the same way people 10-15 years older than me were raised, as my grandparents had a big say in my raising.

My biggest pet peeve is children not writing thank you notes. Heck not even that, it's not even saying thank you for a present. I don't care if you don't like it or already have it. You better be saying thank you to the person who gave it to you. Your parents can help you exchange it if you already have it or you can donate it if you don't like it, but d*mn it, recognize that the person who gave you the present did not have to, and did it because they were thinking about you and wanted to do something above and beyond. Okay, off my soapbox now.

Chef Ann-my Mom knew the only reason I watched Welcome Back Kotter was to stare at Vinnie Barbarino! The humor then on TV was way over my head!

I also had a mom that gave "the look" and I use it on my kids and it still works!

As for explaining things to your 10 year old---I have discovered that it isn't that my 10 yo DS wants to argue a point with me, but rather that he really likes to understand everything around him. Don't get me wrong-I use "because I said so" alot!

It's def. harder to raise children in this "instant gratification" society than it was when I was growing up. I remember my mom putting things on "lay-a-way" we actually had to wait to get some things we wanted. Now, people just put it on credit cards and and complain they had to wait 5 minutes at check out! I am trying to teach my boys to save their money for the things they want. I wish we still had lay-a-way. I teach them to address adults by mr., mrs. or miss. to say please and thank you. To give people hugs or handshakes and look people in the eye when they are talking. It's hard because not all parents that that conviction, but regardless that is the standard in our house. As far as the respect issue, I teach the boys that girls go first, to give their seat to girls and hold doors open. I get some funny stares at stores when my six year old is holding this huge door open for his mommy, but I am girl, so he holds the door open. I also try to teach my kids that not everyone is raised the same way and we have to learn to get along with all kinds of people. It's hard, but its worth it in the long run. I haven't had a career,per say is over 10 years, but I am raising my kids with standards and morals and for that I don't apologize.

dcypcar.chef said:
By the way, the bamboo spatulas work just as well as the scrapers and you can slam them on doorways to get their attention quickly. I was raised in fear of wooden spoons and my mom claims to have broken a couple in our years growing up. I am one of 4 and I would like to say none of those were due to me, but I would probably be wrong. Bamboo is much stronger than wood and I keep teasing my mother that PC should have been around when I was young, then maybe she wouldn't have broken any. She just laughs.

Ha! My son is well acquainted with the bamboo spoons.......he was throwing a temper tantrum on vacation, and I told him if he didn't stop immediately I was going to get the spoon.....he got this evil grin on his face, and said "But Mommy, the spoon is at home.." to which I replied "Oh no it's not buddy, Mom brought it along!" THIS :eek: :eek: :eek: was the look of shock on his face - and the tantrum stopped!

GourmetGirl said:
My biggest pet peeve is children not writing thank you notes. Heck not even that, it's not even saying thank you for a present. I don't care if you don't like it or already have it. You better be saying thank you to the person who gave it to you. Your parents can help you exchange it if you already have it or you can donate it if you don't like it, but d*mn it, recognize that the person who gave you the present did not have to, and did it because they were thinking about you and wanted to do something above and beyond. Okay, off my soapbox now.

Alison - we actually practice saying thank you for gifts! DS loves to find things around the house and put them in gift bags and give them to DH and I, and we do the same for him. Then, no matter what is in the bag, we always say "Oh thank you so much! That was so thoughtful of you."

I agree - kids think they are owed so much, and are not taught to be grateful for someone thinking of them with a gift.

I have to agree... not many kids says please and thank you, or even showing their grateful for a gift or anything like that. I have been told that my DD is quite well mannered. Because I have worked with her since she was little with her manners. I wish more parents would take the time to teach their children the basics of manners, instead of making them think they can push their way through life. And throwing a fit when they don't get it their way. My DD knows all about the bamboo spatulas as well... and she knows if I grab one and I am upset at her she is in it way too deep. generally if I have had on in hand she stops her tantrum really quick.

ChefBeckyD said:
Alison - we actually practice saying thank you for gifts! DS loves to find things around the house and put them in gift bags and give them to DH and I, and we do the same for him. Then, no matter what is in the bag, we always say "Oh thank you so much! That was so thoughtful of you."

I agree - kids think they are owed so much, and are not taught to be grateful for someone thinking of them with a gift.

Becky, that is the cutest thing! I have some friends who do daycare, and will have to tell them about this. How cute would it be to pick your kid up and hear him/her say that! I give you 2 thumbs up for that! :thumbup: :thumbup:

<h2>1. Were mothers who smoked and/or drank during pregnancy common during the 1930s-1970s?</h2><p>Yes, it was a common practice during that time period.</p><h2>2. Did children in the 1930s-1970s have strict safety measures like car seats and helmets?</h2><p>No, these safety measures were not commonly used during that time. Children often rode in cars without any restraints or even rode in the back of pick up trucks.</p><h2>3. What kind of activities did children in the 1930s-1970s participate in?</h2><p>Children spent most of their days playing outside, building go-carts, and playing games with friends. They did not have access to the technology and entertainment that children today have.</p><h2>4. Were parents more strict with their children during the 1930s-1970s?</h2><p>Parents during this time period were less likely to intervene or bail their children out of trouble. Children were expected to learn from their mistakes and take responsibility for their actions.</p><h2>5. What is the overall impact of growing up during the 1930s-1970s?</h2><p>This time period has produced some of the most innovative and risk-taking individuals. They learned how to handle freedom, failure, and responsibility, which has led to many advancements and successes in society. It is also a reminder of how different childhood is now compared to previous generations.</p>

1. Were mothers who smoked and/or drank during pregnancy common during the 1930s-1970s?

Yes, it was a common practice during that time period.

2. Did children in the 1930s-1970s have strict safety measures like car seats and helmets?

No, these safety measures were not commonly used during that time. Children often rode in cars without any restraints or even rode in the back of pick up trucks.

3. What kind of activities did children in the 1930s-1970s participate in?

Children spent most of their days playing outside, building go-carts, and playing games with friends. They did not have access to the technology and entertainment that children today have.

4. Were parents more strict with their children during the 1930s-1970s?

Parents during this time period were less likely to intervene or bail their children out of trouble. Children were expected to learn from their mistakes and take responsibility for their actions.

5. What is the overall impact of growing up during the 1930s-1970s?

This time period has produced some of the most innovative and risk-taking individuals. They learned how to handle freedom, failure, and responsibility, which has led to many advancements and successes in society. It is also a reminder of how different childhood is now compared to previous generations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcchefjane
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • erinyourpclady
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • The_Kitchen_Guy