• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Medical Consultation - Gluten Intolerance

In summary, a Dietician found out that the person might not be lactose intolerant but gluten intolerant and suggests a gluten free lifestyle for all the challenges that come with it. Celiacs also face challenges with gluten free diets.
VeronicaW
Gold Member
I went to see a Dietician yesterday and found out I was most likely not Lactose Intolerant but Gluten Intolerant.

I'm hoping to get Fabulous Tips and Help from someone who's going through this disease - Celiac's Disease.

I guess it's becoming more and more common.

Talk about a food-life change!

Wow! I've never heard of that before. I do live with 3 lactose people though, and sometimes it makes cooking a challenge. I love creamy, cheesy milky things, that they all can't have.

There's a woman in my extended cluster who has Celiac's. She has to be really careful and read labels on EVERYTHING - lots of things that aren't obviously made of wheat (or other gluten sources) contain it. More prepared food options are available in grocery stores now, and more restaurants have gluten-free options, too (I know Outback has a GF menu). What's nice about PC is that HO offers gluten-free meals at conference/Leadership.

I was to told to just back down off my everyday Gluten foods, ie. no bread or pasta, for 2 weeks. If it looks like I'm getting better -great, we'll keep going. If it doesn't seem to help, then I'll have to go the drastic -Gluten Free lifestyle -all the way!

My son is on a gluten free/casein free diet due to allergies. Good luck eliminating gluten, it is almost everything. Plus the gluten free breads, snacks, etc. are not very tasty. My son doesn't mind but I'm so picky I haven't been able to switch (even though I am also allergic). You will constantly have to read labels since companies change formulas some times. Also, gluten is not just wheat. It includes oat, barley, rye, spelt. Don't eat anything with modified food starch unless it specifies NOT wheat. A lot of foods put a Gluten Free label now. That helps.

Thanks Stacy.
DH wants to make bread in the bread machine, so I'd like to find a recipe for me.
I did find Corn and Rice Spagetti, I'll try them soon.

VeronicaW said:
Thanks Stacy.
DH wants to make bread in the bread machine, so I'd like to find a recipe for me.
I did find Corn and Rice Spagetti, I'll try them soon.

Just to let you know that they will not cook like regular noodles. They are very pasty & the water looks all mucky. They are also very sticky.

If you have any questions, or what some recipes, email me. I'll get back to you.

Yes.. and thank goodness you are in the business you are in.. and have access to cooking tools. There are many that have celiacs. I did a demo at the local health food store making pizzas that were gluten free. They were great. You will find many foods not so great. Go to your nearest health food store and they will have a whole section of already made choices. Breads, crackers. pizza crust mixes, buscuit mixes, cookies.. they are pricey.. so only get alittle at a time. If you go full gluten free.. your taste will adjust. There are great websites on the topic.. just google the name "celiacs" and they will come up.. Some show possible menus... and some sites show you what you can eat and what to avoid. Hope this helps.. and hope you are feeling better soon...

Here it is cause I know you'll ask....
Gluten free pizza:
Bob's Red Mill Gluten free pizza mix (+ egg, water and olive oil)
minced garlic (secret magic full of taste ingredient)
Regular tomato sauce
itallian seasonings
toppings (watch pepperoni and sausage.. they may contain gluten) I used veges
mozzerella cheese

Make crust according to recipe... bake.
After crust has cooled a little, top with crushed garlic and spread around with baster brush. Mix together tomato sauce and itallian seasonings to taste and layer on top of garlic. add veges or other toppings. Top with cheese (some who are gluten intolerant also have problems with cheese) Bake another 15 or so minutes until bubbly. YUM!! Even the delivery man wanted to try the pizza.

There are a lot if kids becoming GI.. so I did the demo to help parents have another choice or two. Also, they say it is best to stay away from wheat some.. so it was a choice for regular people too.
Hope this helps!!
Also, Bob's Red Mill is the site were you can order product if you don't have a health food store close. Also look at the options. Bob's is about the best tasting.

I was just going to suggest Bob's Red Mill - but Ginger beat me to it. Local grocery stores carry some of their products but my local Health Food Store has a much wider selection.

Also - Mary's Gone Crackers Crackers are the BEST gluten free crackers! We love them...and I bought them at Costco last week!

Thank You! :)

Oh my gosh, how am I going to handle the holidays?!

I just made the Bob's Red Mill Chocolate Chip cookies mix -they're okay.

I had a hostess who had celiacs and she ordered the Moroccan rub and then couldn't use it because it has Worcestershire sauce in it which contains wheat. Who knew?

Thanks for the heads-up! I just checked out other spices, the Asian has wheat too.

The Caramel Sprinkles do, too. But the Cinnamon ones are safe.

Mocha Hazelnut does!

My friend has the celiac disease. More restaurants are serving celiac friendly menus. I know she can eat at Steak n Shake, Outback, Chick fil a (the grilled chk), Don Pablos and I am pretty sure there are a few more. Check out some celiac chat forums. She has gone non gluten for about 5 years now and is doing great! You asked about holidays - she has the big ones at her house so she can control it. Not always an option though. Good luck!

Bob's Red Mill-This is one hour away from me. It's really cool. My son was just tested yesterday for Celiac's Disease. He is type 1 diabetic. Even though is rare, diabetics run a higher chance, so he was tested.

Hello, I too have a gluten intolorance. I have found the best recipies in any of the gluten free gourmet books by Betty Hagman. Tons of online help. here is a breadmachine bread recipe.
3 eggs
1 2/3 cups water
3 tbps oil
1 tsp cider vinager
1 pkg(2 1/4 tsp) dry active yeast
3 1/4 cups white rice flour
2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dry milk
3 tbsp sugar
in a med bowl combine all wet ingredients, whisk together and pour into breadpan.
measure dry ingredients in a large bowl mix well add to wet ingredients in bread pan.
select whole wheat setting and start machine.
you will want to scrape down the sides of the pan during the first kneading. It will look very wet compared to a regular flour dough.

you can get xanthan gum at most health food stores. Guar gum can be substituted but can have a laxitive effect on some people.

As far as the holidays goes, remember veggies(not greenbean cassarole), meats are safe for the most part. I even made stuffing out of cornbread I made one year.

hope that helps

My sister was just diagnosed with a Gluten allergy (a colonoscopy showed she had not yet developed celiac disease, which is when there is actual damage to the celia in the intestines, but if she continued to eat gluten she *could* develop it) and also a intolerance to lactose.One item to keep an eye on is MSG (mono sodium glutamate) it is a gluten and is tons of stuff!Good luck!

Under Selling: Recipe Tipes is a thread titled "What to Make for Ciliac Disease Guest", that thread may help some but I am going to quote here what I wrote about our Pantry Spices:

This is what I received from PC Test Kitchens on 13 April 2007:

Hello Darlene. The vanilla and oils are Gluten Free.

Our pantry spices are all Gluten-Free EXCEPT for Sweet & Smoky Barbecue
Rub & Asian Seasoning Mix.

Please note that our spice vendor has strict sanitation procedures in
place to prevent cross-contamination. However, they do not test for
gluten presence. That being said, we cannot guarantee that there are no
trace elements of gluten in our other spice products.

The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens

I read it to say that they just can't guarentee without testing and they don't test. If someone is a serious Ciliac, I just wouldn't be willing to put it to the test..

Hi
In the last few weeks I have found out my twin 3 year olds are allergic to wheat, milk, and egg white among other things. With the research I have done, I have found a website called allergygrocer.com where you can order some glutein free products online.. i am also reading special diets for special kids and that has helped too. i haven;t tried any of the recipes yet. there are rice and corn cereals that you can purcxhase also. good luck!

Don`t know much about the disease itself, but here`s a great tip... I had a host with it, and we made the Mini Molten Cakes (over of the 2007 FW Season`s Best) using Barley Flour and they were great. Don`t know if that helps you or not. Best to you,

Thanks muffetts, but Barley is not allowed either.

Related to Medical Consultation - Gluten Intolerance

1. What is gluten intolerance?

Gluten intolerance, also known as non-celiac gluten sensitivity, is a condition in which the body reacts negatively to gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. This reaction can cause a range of symptoms, including digestive issues, fatigue, and headaches.

2. What are the symptoms of gluten intolerance?

The symptoms of gluten intolerance can vary from person to person, but common symptoms include bloating, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, fatigue, headaches, and joint pain. Some individuals may also experience skin rashes, depression, and anxiety.

3. How is gluten intolerance diagnosed?

Unfortunately, there is no specific test for gluten intolerance. The best way to diagnose it is through an elimination diet, where all gluten-containing foods are removed from the diet for a period of time and then slowly reintroduced to see if symptoms return.

4. Is there a treatment for gluten intolerance?

The only treatment for gluten intolerance is to follow a strict gluten-free diet. This means avoiding all foods that contain wheat, barley, and rye, as well as any products that may contain hidden sources of gluten. It is important to read labels carefully and to educate yourself on safe food choices.

5. Can gluten intolerance be outgrown?

Unlike celiac disease, which is a lifelong condition, some individuals may grow out of gluten intolerance. It is important to work with a medical professional to monitor symptoms and reintroduce gluten-containing foods in a controlled manner to determine if the intolerance has resolved.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sherri lynn
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • baychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • evvy