• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Confirmed Cases of Pertussis in Our County

In summary, pertussis, also known as whooping cough, is a highly contagious respiratory infection caused by the bacteria Bordetella pertussis. It is spread through respiratory secretions and is most contagious during the first few weeks of infection. Symptoms include a runny nose, low-grade fever, and a severe cough with a "whooping" sound. The best way to protect against pertussis is to get vaccinated and practice good hygiene. If you or someone in your family experiences symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention for proper diagnosis and treatment.
baychef
Silver Member
We have between 300 and 400 confirmed cases of this in our county. Since I am in day 9 of my recent illness, I am learning more things about this. Yesterday, I went to the dr. to get antiboidic and he put me on it immediately as a precautionary measure. Then we had a parent letter go out today and these things made me get concerned:

Pertussis is a highly contagious disease that is spread through direct contact with droplets coughed or sneezed into the air and/or onto surfaces. Pertussis begins with cold-like symptoms and a cough which becomes much worse over 1-2 weeks. Symptoms usually include a long series of rapid coughs (“coughing fits”) followed by a whooping noise. Very young infants, older children and adults may not develop the whoop. There is generally no or only a slight fever. People with pertussis may have a series of coughs followed by vomiting, turning blue or difficulty catching their breath. The cough is often worse at night and cough medicines usually do not help alleviate it.

:eek::bugeye::eek::bugeye::eek::bugeye:

I don't think you can catch it by reading this thread, however.

They actually made me get a whooping cough vacine at my annual physical last year. I guess it is making a come back.

That is a good thing! I think if my dr. felt I would have had it he would have tested, but I guess their office as well as many others are non-stop people coughing. In adults it could be just like cold so it is hard to tell, I think. But we do have children in our school that have contracted it.:(

:( Wow. I hope it doesn't spread too bad.

And hope you start feeling better soon!!! ;)

Dear concerned parent,

I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing symptoms of pertussis. It is a concerning illness, especially with the recent increase in confirmed cases in our county. I want to assure you that our company takes the health and safety of our consultants and customers very seriously.

I highly recommend following the advice of your doctor and taking the prescribed antibiotics as a precautionary measure. It is also important to continue practicing good hygiene by washing your hands regularly and covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing.

As a consultant, it is important to stay informed about the current situation and to keep our customers informed as well. I suggest sharing the information provided by the county health department and encouraging them to seek medical attention if they experience any symptoms.

Please take care of yourself and know that our company is here to support you during this time. Let's all work together to stop the spread of pertussis in our community.

Sincerely,

Pampered Chef Consultant

1. What is pertussis?

Pertussis, also known as whooping cough, is a highly contagious respiratory infection caused by the bacteria Bordetella pertussis. It is characterized by severe coughing fits that can last for several weeks or even months.

2. How does pertussis spread?

Pertussis is spread through respiratory secretions, such as coughing or sneezing, from an infected person. It is most contagious during the first few weeks of infection.

3. What are the symptoms of pertussis?

The first symptoms of pertussis are similar to those of a common cold, including a runny nose, low-grade fever, and mild cough. After about a week, the cough becomes more severe and can include the characteristic "whooping" sound. Other symptoms may include vomiting, exhaustion, and difficulty breathing.

4. How can I protect myself and my family from pertussis?

The most effective way to protect against pertussis is to get vaccinated. The CDC recommends the DTaP vaccine for infants and young children, and the Tdap vaccine for preteens, teens, and adults. It is also important to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands frequently and covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing.

5. What should I do if I think I or someone in my family has pertussis?

If you or someone in your family is experiencing symptoms of pertussis, it is important to seek medical attention. Your doctor can perform a physical exam and order tests to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment may include antibiotics and supportive care to manage symptoms.

Back