• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Your Car Listening Experience: Tips for Using iPods on Long Drives

In summary, if you have an iPod and want to listen to it in the car, you need an AUX cord or jack and an FM transmitter. You can also buy portable speakers, but if you live in an area with a lot of radio stations, you may get interference or bleed-through.
pamperedalf
Silver Member
For those of you w/ IPODS, how do you listen to them in the car? We have a 3-3 1/2 hour drive to the airport, and I thought we could listen to some training classes from leadership, but it's on my IPOD.

My truck is not new enough to plug into the stereo.

TIA for your input.

There is a special plug you can but online, let me aske my DH...

Okay, he said you need to have an AUX jack in your car, if you do just get an AUX cable/cord at like Best Buy and plug one end into the headphone jack of the iPod and the other one into the AUX jack on your car (ours is by the radio) then listen away! Turn the volume on your iPod up all the way otherwise your car radio volume won't go up high enough to listen to the songs... HTH

Sorry, I just read the part of your post that says that your truck isn't new enough to plug it in. oops...

I don't have an old truck, but no plug. Thanks Kacey for your quick reply.

There is a cable you can buy that plugs into the back of your stereo (if it's a newer one) then you plug the ipod in at the "charging" plug. That's how mine is connected. HTH

There are http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=208205you can buy that try to pick up an unused FM radio signal and transmit music over that, from the iPod.

You might do better just getting a set of portable iPod speakers, though. I had a monster rig and there was too much interference from local radio stations. I guess it'd work better if you're driving through country.

Also, AUX jacks typically work with non-iPod MP3 players.

You need an FM tuner or cassette adapter. My DH says the FM tuner works better.

Do you have a tape player - they make tapes you put in your tape player. You then plug the other end where the headphones go and the sound comes out your speakers. My daughter uses it all the time. Or is it power you are looking for?

Target carries an FM transmitter for the IPOD in their automotive acessories dept. for about $40, I bought one and it worked great. Plugged into the cigarette lighter and worked off a FM station that wasn't being used on the dial. Each of my kids have one in thier cars, is worked great.

No cassette player, I think the FM transmitter is the way to go. Chevy started adding the plug in 2006 and my truck is 2005.Thanks you guys, I knew someone on here would have the answer.

kspry said:
There are http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=208205you can buy that try to pick up an unused FM radio signal and transmit music over that, from the iPod.

You might do better just getting a set of portable iPod speakers, though. I had a monster rig and there was too much interference from local radio stations. I guess it'd work better if you're driving through country.

Both DH and I have Apple iPod's, his is brand new and mine is about 2-3 years old. I have a brand new car and we bought a cable/plug that goes in our AUX jack on my radio. It worked great when we took our drive down to SC! :) However since she doesn't have an AUX outlet/hole/jack my method wouldn't help her anyway. :)

If it helps, Amanda, DH suggested calling your local Best Buy or other electronic's store, or calling Apple or looking on the Apple website. And it looks like Kay found a helpful link for you to go visit! :)

Good luck whatever you do.

Depends on the model/year ...

DH has a FM transmitter and I use a cassette adapter. They each have their own particular foibles. Either way, they're handy because you don't have a piece of sound equipment sliding around the car, and the sound will come out of the car's speakers, so it'll be more balanced and better for everyone riding. The FM transmitters have gotten better in the last couple of years, but if you live in/drive through an area that has a LOT of stations, you may get some bleed-through or have difficulty finding a frequency that's not used in the local market. One thing I will suggest is that you get one of the "gummy" sleeves for your iPod. It'll protect it from scratches on your trip and also keep it from sliding off the seat or dashboard while you're driving.

I have an adapter that plugs into the cig lighter and then you tune it to a station not in use in the aread and then set the radio to that station. Works awesome - its by BELKIN I believe and we got it at costco.

ipodstreet.com is a great site for stuff.

I have a 2007 GMC truck and it does not have the aux jack either. FWIW - get one of the FM transmitters, but also get a set of the small, portable speakers. They will come in WAY handy and they are quite inexpensive.

Thanks everyone, I have an order to make, I was looking for a case to cover my I Touch, an FM tranmitter, and some head phones for the plane. Mine were horrible last time I flew.

So it sounds like when we drive through San Francisco we would have some problems.

I have one of the Belkin FM transmitters and it has 16 frequencies to choose from so you have a decent chance of finding one you can use. The one I have takes triple A batteries (rather than plugging into the cig lighter like the one mentioned above), I like it that way because I can use it at work with the stereo we have there also.

kspry said:

No, ipods work with that special cable in an AUX jack

kspry said:
Depends on the model/year ...

for the car maybe but not for the ipod.

I bought an fm transmitter today and so far I love it. It took some playing around but I figured out. wahoo, I have something to listen on the way to the airport.Thanks for all your help!

1. How can I ensure that my iPod has enough battery for a long car ride?

One tip is to charge your iPod fully before your trip. You can also bring a portable charger or car charger to use on the road.

2. What are some ways to minimize distractions while using an iPod in the car?

One way is to make a playlist beforehand so you're not constantly switching songs. You can also use voice commands or hands-free options to control your iPod without taking your eyes off the road.

3. Can I use my iPod while driving through areas with poor cell reception?

Yes, as long as you have downloaded the music or podcast beforehand, you can listen to it without a network connection.

4. Are there any accessories that can enhance the car listening experience?

Yes, there are car mounts and holders specifically designed for iPods that can make it easier to access and control while driving. You can also invest in a Bluetooth adapter to connect your iPod to your car's audio system.

5. How can I prevent my iPod from overheating during a long car ride?

Try to keep your iPod out of direct sunlight and use a cool air vent or fan to circulate air around it. You can also take breaks from using it to allow it to cool down if needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Melissa78
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Melissa78
  • MissChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies