• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Host Benefits: Handling Past Host Expectations for Catalog Parties

In summary, the past host was asking for something from the party and the host told her that the party wasn't part of the order and that she didn't get anything for her participation. The host offered the same deal to the past host as she did to the current host. The past host ended up ordering two Deep Covered Bakers for $56.38.
pamperedpals
Gold Member
Last night when I got home I had a voice mail from a past host. So, I called her back and the coversation went something like this:

Past Host "I heard that such and such had her party. Wasn't I suppose to get something for her doing that?"

Me "Yes she did have her catalog show, however, since I didn't see your name as one of the order's I assumed you were not ordering anything, since it was so close to your party. If you like I can honor that month's host bonus or you can choose something from this month."

Past Host "I would like to get the Deep Covered Baker."

Me "No problem, would you like to pop a check in the mail or use your debit card?"

We got the payment arrangement settled and then she throw's this question at me:

Past Host "I heard another one of my guest purchased a set of cookware."

Me "Yes they did. They were able to turn it into a catalog for themselves and receive some additional items for FREE, 1/2 price and at a discount."

Past Host "Well don't I get something for her having a catalog party?"

Me "Unfortunately not, because your party was not submitted with her being a booking and PC is very strict about the booking benefits."

Past Host"Well, I don't think that is fair. Because she would have never had the catalog party if she did not attend my party."

Me "I'm sorry you feel that way. So if you like I can offer you the same deal as I did earlier."

She ended up ordering two Deep Covered Bakers for $56.38 and I am sucking up the other cost's.

I told DH last night I am going to start asking new host about past host order's if I don't see one. I don't feel like I should have to babysit these people. :grumpy: Especially, since I make a point of reminding anyone who has booked a party off of someone else, to check with that person to see if they want anything.

Also, I am going to start making it very clear that in order for Sally Host to enjoy the wonderful host bonus at other parties I have to have there parties scheduled that night/day.

So what would you have done?

I ALWAYS ask the past host as a courtesy.On the 2nd situation, I would have said that she decided off this show so it is THIS host's benefit not hers and booked this person off that second show.This lady is a moocher on the 2nd situation...looking to stretch you!On the first, she was due her special.

Also, if she had purchased on her hosts show, it wouldn't help your commission but it would have counted towards your 2nd host's guest sales and helped her.So, yes, ALWAYS ask your past hosts.

I always remind the current host to get an order from the past host, and usually, I remind the past host myself. I agree with Janet on the second situation. We have to state things matter of factly w/o defensiveness or emotion. We just state the truth and let the listener go from there. It is totally not your fault that the second person turned her order into a show and first host didn't benefit.

I would not have given her the second DCB at discount - it was clearly not a show booked from her party, but from the second ladies show.

As for the first one, I do try to make sure I contact the past host if they're not at the show. I haven't had a cat show booked from a show, but I would probably still make a point of contacting the past host. I think the new host doesn't think that much about the past host! I'm not sure if it's really the consultants responsibilty, but it's not really either of the hosts responsibility (in my view) so I guess that makes it mine more than anyones! Although you'd think that the new host would invite the past host so they would be aware of the show...

What does anyone else think?

Oh, just read Janet and JAE's posts... I agree with both of them!

When I do my hostess coaching I do remind the current host to get an order from the past host if they are not going to be at the party or if it is a catalog show. I don't want to sound pushy and ask them again about the past host's order when they are closing their parties if one has not been placed.

I always give the past host a reminder (in case she forgot or the current one forgot). Just a courtesy to them, as I'd hate for them to miss out on a GREAT deal!

Last edited:
I think you handled the situation really well, Laurie. I do agree that we need to call the past host to see if he/she wants to place an order, although I need to practice what I preach :p ....as I sometimes forget!

I agree with the other ladies that she was not entitled to the second DCB and took advantage of you and your generosity.

I guess the silver lining in all of this is that my party Saturday is already at $195. :) That is not all of this order, my MIL order some item's for my husband's niece.

I always contact the past host my self, if she is not at the party. Try to look at it as great customer service, not babysitting. I think it is a great opportunity to call a past host and say "Would you like to get _____ at 60% OFF! Isn't that a great deal, just ANOTHER benefit to hosting a show" Any chance to continue to build that relationship is great, they will be more likely to book again, and maybe it will be a time when you really need the booking!

heat123 said:
I always give the past host a reminder (in case she forgot or the current one forgot). Just a courtesy to them.

This is how I handle past hosts. I figure it is my responsibility to make this benefit available to them. Remember, sometimes your past host may not even know your current host (if they were a guest of a guest at the original show).

I would not have given her credit for the second DCB. As someone said, state the policy in a matter-of-fact fashion and move on.

Now you've lived it and learned. You won't make this mistake twice.:)

chefjeanine said:
This is how I handle past hosts. I figure it is my responsibility to make this benefit available to them. Remember, sometimes your past host may not even know your current host (if they were a guest of a guest at the original show).

I would not have given her credit for the second DCB. As someone said, state the policy in a matter-of-fact fashion and move on.

Never thought about that. :) Yes, you are correct I have lived and learned on this experience. I will be updating my hostess coaching checklist to add on check with past host about monthly special. :)

I just had this happen this week where the host invited the past host, but she was a no-show. So I gave her a courtesy call. She didn't want the stoneware but DID want to exchange an item. Unforutnately, I was at work so I directed her to HO, where she got the third degree! Grrr! I will never refer another customer to them again!

Not sure how early everyone enters their shows into P3, but I try to set up the show about the time I mail the host pack (or atleast when I set up show on my website).

To help me NOT forget a past host (who it is and if there is one), as soon as I enter the show in P3, I enter the past host as the first guest.

This triggers my memory later. Usually, after a show, I am trying to remember everything else about the show, future bookings, etc, that I could easily forget the past host if she wasn't there. If there is already a spot for her, then I can call her - also helpful since her phone number is right there too!

Great idea Kathleen! I never thought about doing that! I'll go do that right now!

chefjeanine said:

I always check with the past host if there is not an order from her. I just give her a call and say "you know, such and such booked off your show and she is closing her show tomorrow. Did you want to take advantage of that fabulous booking benefit by getting........for 60% off?"

They never get angry with you for asking but they will definately let you know if you don't!

kam said:
Not sure how early everyone enters their shows into P3, but I try to set up the show about the time I mail the host pack (or atleast when I set up show on my website).

To help me NOT forget a past host (who it is and if there is one), as soon as I enter the show in P3, I enter the past host as the first guest.

This triggers my memory later. Usually, after a show, I am trying to remember everything else about the show, future bookings, etc, that I could easily forget the past host if she wasn't there. If there is already a spot for her, then I can call her - also helpful since her phone number is right there too!

I have started the same thing just this fall. My bookings and who is attached to which booking gets so mixed up that I can't keep it straight! It really is a good reminder!

Maybe for the second show she was pushing for, I would have been caught off guard too and done what you did. But maybe instead of giving her the item at 60%, you could have explained the HO policy and stuck to it, but offered her maybe a discount- but not the full 60% on the second item- like 30 or 40%? I suppose if she stays a loyal customer, it will pan out in the end, but if she's just going to be a pain...I certainly would stand my ground. Who's to say if she tries this again if you have another person who had originally gone to her show end up booking a show.

If Host #2 booked off Host #1, then I agree YOU should be calling Host #1 and letting her know that she qualifies for the current host discount right now. Don't leave it up to Host #2 to do that. It will alleviate a LOT of frustrations down the road as well as help you with customer relations.

As far as the catalog show, it sounds like that was technically a booking off Host #2, not Host #1. Host #2 should have received the monthly host special, not Host #1.

Rule #1: CYA (Cover Your Assets ;)) Let's say "Jane Doe" is the host. I tell the guests & host at the time of Jane's show that IF anyone even THINKS that they want to host a Cooking or Catalog Show in the next 6 months, that they need to tell me NOW. If I don't get their desire to host logged in the computer at the time that Jane's order is submitted to the home office, then the Jane won't get credit for it if the guest's future show is held in the next 6 months. I also explain that I can put in a bogus date (right now, I'm using Jan 1st) to get the computer to accept it, but that they are under NO OBLIGATION to actually hold the show within 6 months, that's just to give Jane the credit ... just in case. If Jane were to come back later & complain, then she has no basis for her complaint because she AND the guests knew the consequences if the guest didn't sign up to book a show before Jane's show closed. When doing the data entry in P3, I do schedule them for a show on Jan 1st, but I don't create all the tasks associated with the show.

For people who set a firm date, I also use the "Notes" field on the P3 Shows to say "Booked off Jane Doe's show K0016". Each time I'm getting ready to do a Cooking or Catalog Show, I scroll over in the list of shows to the far right hand column and see who they booked off of. It's a quick reminder, otherwise I'll forget! If they didn't book off someone else, I'll make a note as to where they found me. I had a couple of bookings off a multi-vendor event that I did back in September at the USO. So for those hosts, the notes say "USO Lead". It really helps me keep everyone straight.

If you start forewarning everyone, it will help you alleviate these types of problems.

:thumbup: I agree with the other posters that your past host does have a complaint about not getting the host special off the show that was booked from her show.

:thumbdown: But I think she was pushing the envelope by demanding the 2nd host special. I would have explained home office rules & told her "too bad, so sad" on that one.​

Sheila said:
If Host #2 booked off Host #1, then I agree YOU should be calling Host #1 and letting her know that she qualifies for the current host discount right now. Don't leave it up to Host #2 to do that. It will alleviate a LOT of frustrations down the road as well as help you with customer relations.

As far as the catalog show, it sounds like that was technically a booking off Host #2, not Host #1. Host #2 should have received the monthly host special, not Host #1.

Rule #1: CYA (Cover Your Assets ;)) Let's say "Jane Doe" is the host. I tell the guests & host at the time of Jane's show that IF anyone even THINKS that they want to host a Cooking or Catalog Show in the next 6 months, that they need to tell me NOW. If I don't get their desire to host logged in the computer at the time that Jane's order is submitted to the home office, then the Jane won't get credit for it if the guest's future show is held in the next 6 months. I also explain that I can put in a bogus date (right now, I'm using Jan 1st) to get the computer to accept it, but that they are under NO OBLIGATION to actually hold the show within 6 months, that's just to give Jane the credit ... just in case. If Jane were to come back later & complain, then she has no basis for her complaint because she AND the guests knew the consequences if the guest didn't sign up to book a show before Jane's show closed. When doing the data entry in P3, I do schedule them for a show on Jan 1st, but I don't create all the tasks associated with the show.

For people who set a firm date, I also use the "Notes" field on the P3 Shows to say "Booked off Jane Doe's show K0016". Each time I'm getting ready to do a Cooking or Catalog Show, I scroll over in the list of shows to the far right hand column and see who they booked off of. It's a quick reminder, otherwise I'll forget! If they didn't book off someone else, I'll make a note as to where they found me. I had a couple of bookings off a multi-vendor event that I did back in September at the USO. So for those hosts, the notes say "USO Lead". It really helps me keep everyone straight.

If you start forewarning everyone, it will help you alleviate these types of problems.

:thumbup: I agree with the other posters that your past host does have a complaint about not getting the host special off the show that was booked from her show.

:thumbdown: But I think she was pushing the envelope by demanding the 2nd host special. I would have explained home office rules & told her "too bad, so sad" on that one.​

Actually the catalog show was the husband of a guest who attended the original cooking show. He called and wanted to place and individual order for the cookware. I explained if he ordered something else for $6 he would be able to receive $40 in free product and a 1/2 price item, to help him get more bang for his buck.:D So Host #2 should not receive any bonus.

kam said:

That's exactly what I do as well. It works well for me and I have never forgotten to contact a past host about their special this way.

What is "What Would You Have Done?"

"What Would You Have Done?" is a cookbook filled with delicious and easy recipes that are perfect for everyday meals, parties, and special occasions. It is designed to help you plan, prepare, and cook meals in a stress-free and efficient way.

Who is the author of "What Would You Have Done?"

The author of "What Would You Have Done?" is a team of Pampered Chef consultants who are passionate about cooking and sharing delicious recipes with others. They have tested and perfected each recipe in the cookbook to ensure it is both tasty and easy to make.

Are the ingredients for the recipes in "What Would You Have Done?" easy to find?

Yes, the ingredients for the recipes in "What Would You Have Done?" are easy to find at most grocery stores. They are also common pantry staples, making it convenient to whip up a meal without having to make a special trip to the store.

Are there any dietary restrictions or special diets catered to in "What Would You Have Done?"

Yes, "What Would You Have Done?" includes a variety of recipes that cater to different dietary restrictions and preferences, such as vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free. Each recipe also includes substitutions or modifications to accommodate other dietary needs.

Can I purchase "What Would You Have Done?" through Pampered Chef?

Yes, "What Would You Have Done?" is available for purchase through a Pampered Chef consultant. You can also purchase it online through the Pampered Chef website. By purchasing through a consultant, you can also receive personalized cooking tips and advice for using the cookbook.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• skynsea
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
skynsea
  • cochef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • mechelle