• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Calls and Balancing Family: Tips from a Successful Business Owner

In summary, Jennifer shared some great tips on how to make phone time more fun for parents with kids. She recommends scheduling office hours with your spouse so you have uninterrupted time to focus, making one call every hour, directing directors to get 3-way calling so they can maximize their calling potential, and making sure to make time for family time. She also shared that making phone time fun is important, and recommends activities like painting, playing in the sand, taking the cell phone to practices and games, and going to
yummybytes
Silver Member
So I went to see Ilene Meckley last week. She was fabulous -- I just love the word choices she makes when speaking to customers, recruits, and new contacts.

One of her major focuses was how to make your buisness work alongside of your family. This was big for me because I have a hard time balancing things with a 1yr old and 3 yr old. I have a hard time making calls. When I get started I tend to focus completely so I needed to set up some limits because ignoring my kids defeats the entire purpose of staying at home. My laptop is a HUGE help because I can be all over the place, watching them, playing with them, etc, but it's right there if I have a second to check email/check CS/etc.

Here are some of the tips she had. Some of them are simple, but things we don't think of doing.

~Schedules office hours with your spouse so you have uninterrupted time to focus.

~Make one call every hour. Keep call to 5-15 minutes.

~Directors -- get 3 way calling to maximize your calling potential. When making host coaching calls or customer care calls, tie a recruit in to listen so they have hands on training. You're taking care of the recruit and the customer in one shot. (I thought this was fabulous)

And finally -- the real reason for my post:

MAKE PHONE TIME FUN TIME.

When you have kids, find something special for them to do when you make those calls. Have a special toy, craft, or activitiy planned for them during the calls. This allows them to be occupied , quiet and content while mom does what she needs to do. Some ideas:

• Have a special toy that only comes out for phone time.
  • Give your child a magazine and ask them to circle everything red, or find all the letters of the alphabet.
  • Painting
  • When they fall asleep in the car but ONLY on a headset/speakerphone, pllease!!!
  • Playing in the sand (I bring my cordless phone outside with me)
  • Playdough and creative cutters. (I have a great CHEAP homemade recipe if anyone needs it)
  • Go to the park after phone time
  • Take your cell phone to practices/games/etc and make calls while you are there. This is also a GREAT time to make connections.

A major thing though is that you have to follow through with promises and set definite limits on what you're doing. Set the kitchen timer so you make sure you're keeping in your limit, but also to let your child know when you're done.

I've been doing calls like this for the past week while my 1 year old is napping or eating and my 3 year old gets the special treats. I've made a lot more contacts than normal, and it's really making me feel less stressed about it. I try to talk to at least 5 LIVE bodies a day via phone and 3 in person. It's really helped tremendously. Answering machines don't count!! :)

What things have helped you make phone time more fun? Have any activities to share that others can use on their kids? :) Any tried and true methods for better meshing the work/family union?? Let's share and help each other grow!!

Thank you Jennifer for this information. It is very helpful. I too have been struggling to make phone calls having a 1 1/2 year old and a 4 year old at home. This will help a lot!

Awesome!!! Love it!! Thanks for sharing.

Bren706 said:
Thank you Jennifer for this information. It is very helpful. I too have been struggling to make phone calls having a 1 1/2 year old and a 4 year old at home. This will help a lot!

I found this helpful too. I have my 2 year old & I baby-sit a 3 year old, so it was impossible for me to find time to get on the phone. I'm also pregnant, so I've been too exhausted at night to get on the phone!

Thanks Jennifer! I really like the one-call-an-hour idea. I, too, stay at home with my son (almost 9 months) and I am still struggling with making my calls. He is mobile so I definitely cannot make calls while he is awake (or be on the phone for too long), but I need his nap times to clean house, get dinner ready, etc. I think I (and he) can definitely handle one call every hour if I keep them short.

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, but how do I make it fun for ME?! It's SO hard to pick that baby up! Once I do, I end up on a roll, but starting is what makes it so tough!

Suck it up and pick that baby up!! I start off gently with a few customer care calls or hostess coaching to get my flow goin, then I move into the hard stuff - haha!!

Put a Post it note with a Dolallar sign, or a picture of Big Ben or a cruise ship, or Johnny Depp (It IS a Carribean cruise right? NEvertheless -- he would motivate me to do many thing) on it -- something that motivates you. :) You can do it Speedy!!! :)

Glad this has been helpful for you all. I did calls tonight for 2 hours and spoke with 14 customers, 6 answering machines. One called back :)
Results: 1 Catalog show, 3 Kitchen shows, One Bridal Shower and registry, and a Reschedule Kitchen show on a cancel. YAY!!!

I also got invited to go drinking with the maid of honor -- so that's a perk haha!!

WTG Jennifer!!!

I closed two shows today for close to $2000, so that's gotta count for something!! LOL!!!

I also did make some f/u calls from fairs and come other misc f/u calls, but no one could talk or I got machines. Ugh!!!!!

Everyone I talked to said they were home watching American Idol or America's Next top model -- and I was watching so calling during commercials for the most part so I guess I got lucky. :)

GO DEB!! That DEFINITLEY counts!!! :) So happy for you :) :) Wanna come drinking with me and the MOH? CELEBRATE:)

DebbieJ said:
I also did make some f/u calls from fairs and come other misc f/u calls, but no one could talk or I got machines. Ugh!!!!!

That is too funny...my mind went another way with that abbreviation!

Oops! That's FOLLOW up calls. Get your mind out of the gutter! ;)

There are days they feel like the other F/U calls though!!! :/
BLESS and... RELEASE! :)

1. How can I make phone time more enjoyable?

There are many ways to make phone time more fun. One idea is to play games while on the phone, such as trivia or word games. You can also try listening to music or watching a funny video together. Another option is to plan a virtual activity, like cooking a meal or doing a craft, while talking on the phone.

2. How can I stay engaged during long phone calls?

It can be difficult to stay focused during long phone calls, but there are a few things you can do. One tip is to take notes or doodle while on the phone to keep your hands busy. You can also try standing up or walking around to keep your energy up. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and switch up the conversation topics to keep things interesting.

3. How can I make sure phone time is productive?

To make phone time productive, it's important to have a clear purpose for the call. Before making the call, think about what you want to accomplish or discuss. Write down any important points or questions to keep the conversation on track. Also, make sure to actively listen and take notes during the call to stay engaged and retain important information.

4. How can I make phone time more personal?

One way to make phone time more personal is to use video calls instead of just audio. This allows you to see each other's facial expressions and body language, making the conversation feel more personal. You can also try sending voice messages or handwritten letters to add a personal touch to your phone conversations.

5. What are some fun conversation starters for phone calls?

If you're struggling to come up with things to talk about on the phone, try asking open-ended questions or sharing interesting news or stories. You can also plan activities or virtual events to talk about and make plans for the future. Additionally, asking about the other person's day or sharing funny memes or jokes can also help keep the conversation flowing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• NooraK
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • DebPC
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
Replies