• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Space for a Home Office: Tips for Balancing Work and Family Life

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is struggling with setting up a home office for their PC business due to lack of space. They ask for advice on how to set up an office and if using a cell phone as a business phone is a good idea. Other people suggest using a rolling filing cabinet or a plastic storage unit with drawers, and treating the business seriously and setting boundaries with family members. It is also mentioned that using a cell phone for business can be tax-deductible. The conversation concludes with the person taking the advice and thanking the others for their tips.
jrny2001
Silver Member
I'm 3 months into my PC business and am struggling with being able to work at home...kids, dog, husband.
I've read some great tips on other threads but what I am looking to get advice about is this:
How can I set up a home office if we don't have the space? Right now I am using our 3 season porch. It's not working too well as I've got piles of stuff (paperwork etc) on the table with no place to store everything. The porch is cluttered with the kids sports equipment and other misc junk that does not seem to ever find a home.

2nd question, would it be best to use my cell phone as my business phone? I recently had a problem when my 11yo DD answered the phone call from a potential host who thought she had the wrong number and hung up. We can't afford a 2nd phone line and until I start making serious money I can't even consider it.

Sorry for the long post. I need advice from all you seasoned Cheffers as to what you did when you started your business. I feel like I will never be able to get my act together and make a go of this.:eek:

It is completely fine to use your cell as your business phone.
As far as an office space, set yourself up wherever your computer is. You can buy one the rolling filing cabinets, or one of the tall plastic things with drawers that you can roll into a closet when you are finished.
Just know that this is your business--and treat it as such. Steal a corner somewhere! Let your husband/children know that when you are working, they should not interrupt unless it is an emergency.
When they start seeing the fruits of your business, I am sure they will be more cooperative!

If you use your cell phone... you can take at least part of the bill as a business related tax deduction (check with your accountant for specifics)...

As far as organization... my "office" is the corner of the family room. But, when I need "quiet time" to make phone calls, I print the info I need and head to my bedroom or outside. I would try to make do with what ever you have right now until you see how you want to keep your business stuff (binders vs. hanging folders vs. on the computer, etc.). When you have a little better idea of how you want to organize things, head to a local organization store or an online site and try to refine what you want.

Thanks for the tips. I never thought about deducting the cell phone as a business expense. My husband will be happy!

Hi there! It sounds like you are facing some common challenges that many consultants encounter when starting their PC business. Working from home can be tricky, especially with kids, pets, and a busy household. Here are a few tips that may help you with your home office set-up and phone situation:1. Get creative with your space: If you don't have a dedicated room for an office, try to find a corner or area in your home that you can turn into a mini-office. This could be a small desk in a quiet corner, a shelf in a closet, or even a designated spot on your kitchen counter. Think outside the box and make the most of the space you have.2. Utilize storage solutions: To help with the clutter, invest in some storage solutions such as bins, baskets, or shelves. This will not only keep your paperwork organized, but it will also help clear up space on your porch for your business.3. Set boundaries with your family: It's important to communicate with your family and set boundaries when it comes to your work. Let them know that when you are in your office space, you are working and should not be disturbed unless it's an emergency.4. Consider using a virtual phone system: There are many affordable virtual phone services that allow you to have a separate business line that can be forwarded to your cell phone. This way, you can avoid any mix-ups with your personal phone and maintain a professional image for your business.5. Take advantage of technology: As a PC consultant, you have access to many online tools and resources that can make your business run more smoothly. Consider using online calendars, scheduling tools, and social media to help manage your business and stay organized.Remember, every consultant's journey is different, and it takes time to find a system that works for you. Don't be too hard on yourself and keep trying different strategies until you find what works best for you and your family. You've got this!

1. What is a "newbie"?

A "newbie" is a term used to describe someone who is new or inexperienced in a particular activity or field.

2. What kind of help can I find in "Newbie Needs Help..."?

In "Newbie Needs Help...", you can find assistance and guidance on various topics such as technology, hobbies, learning new skills, and more. It's a community where experienced individuals can offer their expertise and support to those who are new and seeking help.

3. How can I ask for help in "Newbie Needs Help..."?

To ask for help, you can post a question or request in the forum or discussion board. Make sure to provide as much detail as possible about your issue or what kind of help you are looking for to receive the most helpful responses.

4. Is "Newbie Needs Help..." only for beginners?

No, "Newbie Needs Help..." welcomes individuals of all levels and backgrounds. Whether you are a complete beginner or just need assistance with a specific topic, you are welcome to join and ask for help.

5. Is there a cost to use "Newbie Needs Help..."?

No, "Newbie Needs Help..." is a free online community. There is no cost to join, ask for help, or offer assistance to others. It's a volunteer-based platform where members can support each other and share knowledge and resources.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DanielleQ
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • msmileyface
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
tiggerhale
  • pamperedlinda