• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mandoline: To Buy or Not to Buy? Questions Answered

I use my USG occasionally at home - I am trying to decide if I should invest in the Mandoline - Are you selling a lot of these???I think I've sold more Mandoline's than the USG b/c of the safety issues. I prefer it since I was one that sliced my thumb on the USG! I think I've actually sold more Mandoline's at full price too! The USG was often a 1/2 price item!I use mine quite a bit, but my kids love apples, and they are messy, so the slices are great. But I haven't really should many.Wish you had another catagory...sell many but would like
Kathytnt
I use my USG occasionally at home - I am trying to decide if I should invest in the Mandoline - Are you selling a lot of these???

I think I've sold more Mandoline's than the USG b/c of the safety issues. I prefer it since I was one that sliced my thumb on the USG! I think I've actually sold more Mandoline's at full price too! The USG was often a 1/2 price item!

I use mine quite a bit, but my kids love apples, and they are messy, so the slices are great. But I haven't really should many.

Wish you had another catagory...sell many but would like to love it more!! Tomatoes have been a freaking disaster for me. It's too bad because the USG could tolerate something other than a hard as a rock tomato!:(

It's not a big seller for me...but that's cuz I don't show it!
I still don't feel like I use it "smoothly" enough to show at a party, so I just don't use it. Last night, I sliced some potatoes on it using the crinkle blade and made fried potatoes, but they still got stuck quite a bit where I would have to stop, pull out the stuck potato, and then continue. Not as smooth as it should be. I guess I just need practice...unless someone has tips for us that struggle with the UM!

I have been working with it a lot more lately, trying to love it...I love the USG...maybe someday the mandoline will feel as easy to me

I sell at least one at every show- I love them! I sold a ton of USG's too because it was my favorite product. I would recommend that you use it more often for personal use to get comfortable with it for your shows!

We have been doing a ton of crinkle cut potatoes. Yum. Easy to use for use, so maybe it is just a matter of practice. Even my husband likes it.

I was happy with my USG (which I gave to my sister who just moved inter her new apartment) I've had the UM fail at me on 3 different shows (even after I practiced until I got it smooth beforehand) but while demoing it jammed or failed to cut. It was embarrassing so its now in my cabinet. Much easier to use a knife... sigh...

I love my UM - I use it at every show and sell a few per month...I adore it!

I'm not a big UM fan. I think it's great if you're in to presentation but otherwise I'd rather use the knife.

Wow - The polling is neck and neck

KellyTheChef said:
I still don't feel like I use it "smoothly" enough to show at a party, so I just don't use it. Last night, I sliced some potatoes on it using the crinkle blade and made fried potatoes, but they still got stuck quite a bit where I would have to stop, pull out the stuck potato, and then continue. Not as smooth as it should be. I guess I just need practice...unless someone has tips for us that struggle with the UM!

My biggest advice would be to let the UM do the work - don't push hard on it, just keep guiding the guide down....and don't stop or slow down in the middle of slicing - slice quickly and at an even speed.....does that make sense?

I absolutely hat the UM!!I have practiced and practiced and in my humble opinion that thing sucks hiney!! I LOVE my USG and use it all the time WITHOUT the guard and have yet to cut myself!! I am so very careful when I get to the end of whatever I am slicing. The USG is soooooooooooo easy to use compared to the UM!! I have sold a whopping 2 since they have come out!!

P.S I probably just jinxed myself... I need to find some wood to knock on.

I have sold one, but plan on buying one this month so I can push it more.

I don't use it at home much because I hate cleaning more than I have to at home. But, anytime I've used it at a show I sell it quite a bit. I like it.

crazy4dabug said:
I don't use it at home much because I hate cleaning more than I have to at home. But, anytime I've used it at a show I sell it quite a bit. I like it.

I just toss the whole thing into the dishwasher!

I truly hate this thing....LOL Sorry!! HEHE. Most of my people like it and I talk it up, but I don't like it at all. I would rather slice with a knife. I just think it is flimsy and kricity...not true PC quality. I use it well and I goes over well at shoes, but I don't like using it. I think its a pain when cooking and I wouldn't use it normally. The only thing I really like it for is slicing lemons and limes. really pretty.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! I don't sell all that many, but I don't show it as often as I should...I think maybe next month, I'm going to do everything with ONLY kit tools, that way I'm not bringing too much, and I'll surely have my mandoline! I liked the USG, but I LOVE the mandoline. I think it's much safer and the crinkle cut blade ROCKS!

I have one, don't love it, don't bring it to shows, have sold about 5 since sept. I have tried and tried to love the UM, I just find it a waste of time. Yesterday, i shredded an entire head of cabbage with the Santuko (my real true love). I just feel I have the knife out already to hack up what ever I am slicing, it is usually just easier to continue with the knife.

I don't love it but a have sold more than I thought that I would around 15 sence they came out. I try to love it and I wish that I did. I take it to all of my shows especially the last two months but I don't use it I only talk bout it. EVERY time I try to demo it it never works!!! I do much better just talking about it!!! I have used at home a few times with success!! but not a lot.

heather

I am a new consultant and received this in my kit. I absolutely love it. I have an older mandoline and it is very scary. In fact I take both of them with me to shows to give the comparison and have sold at least one at every show. I would not dare go to a show without it.

I use it at every show. I use to sell tons of USG because I always used it at shows and at home. I did not like the UM at first, but after using it more and more, I like it so much better than the USG. It comes in the new kit, so we need to be comfortable with it to be able to teach new consultants how to use it.
Between the UM and the Santoku knife you have $129 worth of product and with those two products you can slice anything.

I just did a show Monday night and the host has every PC tool and product (working on signing her!) ANYWAY, she has wanted to see the mandoline and use it in the demo. So I brought it and was so embarassed :eek: as how it cut the tomatoes. She had ripe tomatoes and it just mushed them up! She wasn't impressed. I had brought a couple of tomatoes with me (firm and not as ripe) for my demo, worked much better. Just don't like to have to make sure I have harder tomatoes to work with. :( I have no control over what the host purchases for the food! And it also gets clogged and I have to stop and clean it out. Maybe I am doing something wrong?? :confused:

She has a slicer (like the USG) she got at the state fair and says that works so much better and is going to just keep that one! Now I am really embarassed!!

I never had the USG so I can't compare.

Kelly

KellyRedHead said:
She has a slicer (like the USG) she got at the state fair and says that works so much better and is going to just keep that one! Now I am really embarassed!!

Kelly

I'm betting it's the same slicer I have--German made, and a joy to work with. I've had mine 20 years and still prefer it to the UM. It even slices very ripe tomatoes!

I'm pushing our wonderful knives more than the UM since I just don't trust the UM at a show.

I wish it was more reliable, I'd love to be selling more of them!

You have to just keep using and using the UM...slice everything in your kitchen with it - use it over and over and you'll get comfy with it. I love it and it works beautifully - just KEEP PRACTICING IT!!

I have also had problems with the tomatoes. Any suggestions?

I have a problem with my adjustable blade my husband thinks it is defected. when i use the adj. blade on the thicker slice it never slices on it it slides to the thin slice automaticly and it will not stay on the thick for even one potatoe slice!!!! so i can only have potatoes that are thinner then potatoes chips. nothing thicker. it is so frustrating

does anyone else have this problem??? do you think there is something wrong with the UM ?

heather

Mandoline or no Mandoline? That is the questionI dont have one, was planning on getting one, now not sure if its worth it. Have to think about it. $60 is a lot of money.:rolleyes:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I have sold quite a few without even demoing it! It's awesome and really a great price compared toother brands!

I'm not a huge fan of the mandoline for personal use, however, I've been using it at shows and it's always a big seller, even when I have issues with it during a demo such as food getting stuck in the blade or cheese getting all gummed up! Overall it's not my favorite but maybe because I haven't given it much of a chance.

SusanBP0129 said:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I have sold quite a few without even demoing it! It's awesome and really a great price compared toother brands!

Yes, I have compard prices and product and I have to admit its a great deal, even at $60.

I just got mine today as a host order...but am wondering what to use it on besides tomatoes and potatoes?

I hated the mandoline, I could not get it to work right, etc- UNTIL I watched the video on CC, and it made all of the difference in the world. I know it sounds silly, but it seems to me, it is all in the way you hold the food holder. That enables you to give it just the right amount of pressure. I was AMAZED in the difference. If you are having troubles, watch the video with the mandoline right beside you, and practice how you hold the food holder while it shows it on the screen. I think you will find a difference.

pamperedinAlaska said:
I just got mine today as a host order...but am wondering what to use it on besides tomatoes and potatoes?

i always liked mine for onions!!

I have the USG at home and the Mandoline......I bring the mandoline to my shows.. but I never demo it.... becasue I do NOT know how to use it...... I should just bring my Dh to my shows... he knows hwo to use it really well..LOL

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Ultimate Mandoline. I was never real thrilled with the US&G. Not safe enough and I hated how the food holder thing never stayed on and it use to get tore up by the blades! I also did not like the fact that it didn't stand up that you had to hold it up.
I love the easle on the new one, I love how big the food holder hole is! I love that you can't get cut on it! I love everything about it!
Did I mention that I LOVE IT!?!:D
I had 9 shows that booked this month with the intention of getting that UM at 60% off!! And they ALL held their original dates and had great shows!
My recommendation to the ones that don't like it, is keep practicing with it and another great thing is that it's almost that really great time of the year when almost all the produce is at it's freshest!
I have sold more UM's in the last 6 months than I ever did US&G's in the 7 years prior!!!
I LOVE IT!!! Oh yeah, I said that already!!!:p :rolleyes:

Last edited:
pamperedinAlaska said:
Thin apple slices, if you don't have the APCS, the limes for the recipe on the front of our catalog cover, lemons, for lemonade. Cucumber, carots, zuccini, oranges for orange juice, (leave the peels on!) I have done hard cheesed in it!
Green pepper, any color pepper! onions! Here is a tip I like to tell people at my shows!!!...... core the inside of a cucumber out using our Corer, and then take a peeled carrot and push in in the inside of the cucumber, you could even score a few strips vertically down the cucumber, cut it into chunks that would fit inside the food holder and using the crinkle blade cut it into slices! Makes a beautiful presentation and it doesn't take much work and everyone will be trying to figure out how you got those little carrot peices in your cucumber so perfectly!!! I just love "wowing" my friends making them think I worked much harder than I did! Try this at shows, you WILL get ooh's and awe's! I just love ooh's and awe's!!!
I know I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff but it truely is very versatile. I've even slice up smaller sized turkey ham...worked great!
Keep working with it and as someone said on here already, watch the video on CC. It's very helpful!:)

pamperedinAlaska said:
thin apple slices, if you don't have the APCS, the limes for the recipe on the front of our catalog cover, lemons, for lemonade. Cucumber, carots, zuccini, oranges for orange juice, (leave the peels on!) I have done hard cheesed in it!
Green pepper, any color pepper! onions! Here is a tip I like to tell people at my shows!!!...... core the inside of a cucumber out using our Corer, and then take a peeled carrot and push in the inside of the cucumber, you could even score a few strips vertically down the cucumber, cut it into chunks that would fit inside the food holder and using the crinkle blade cut it into slices! Makes a beautiful presentation and it doesn't take much work and everyone will be trying to figure out how you got those little carrot peices in your cucumber so perfectly!!! I just love "wowing" my friends making them think I worked much harder than I did! Try this at shows, you WILL get ooh's and awe's! I just love ooh's and awe's!!!
I know I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff but it truely is very versatile. I've even slice up smaller sized turkey ham...worked great!
Keep working with it and as someone said on here already, watch the video on CC. It's very helpful!:)

I had trouble with tomatoes too. At a show they just fell all apart, I was so humiliated and the cheese gummed up too. I will def. watch the demo video.

KellyTheChef said:

Would love those same tips. Everytime I try to use mine it get caught towards the end and is a big pain in behind to clear the blade. Sort of defeats the purpose of the guards I think

MissChef said:
Green pepper, any color pepper!

how do you do pepers? to me the food holder is too small....

I sell quite a few of these, but my excitement has waned. I think I've already been through at least 8. They misshapen in the dishwasher ( or a sink full of water!) or the food holder never fits on correctly to lift the blade straight from the brand new box. I'd be pissed if I'd paid for it!

The very first one I had worked pretty well. Wish that one lasted!

I hate it - whenever I try to demo it, it fails on me. I can usually make it work at home though... makes no sense. LOL!

I should probably start using it more often, since I cut myself on the USG recently ;) but it really is just more cumbersome.

With peppers, I usually cut the top off and scoop out the guts and then put it in the food holder. If it's too big for that, I just cut it in half then!

BBQ season is coming! Slice your tomaotes and onions for your burgers!

For those of you who don't love the UM, I know a few of my co-consultants had received defective ones, call and get your replaced if you don't think it is working properly. Otherwise start using it! I did a Home Show and it was the most popular item on the table! Tomatoes are messy, but I love to slice potatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers..... I have sold a bunch and use it at every show!

For those of you who don't Love the UM, make sure it isn't defective..a few of my cluster had a defective UM once they replaced it, they love. I have sold a bunch and I use it at every show. People are most impressed with the crinkle cut potatoes.. I love to slice peppers, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers...
Start using it!!

My tomatoes stick when using the "V" blade. Wonder if I should replace the blade or the whole thing or its just my way of holding it. I have watched the video and I still have problems??

I don't always think cheese grates that well either? It works better for me when I take the grater blade out of the mandoline and hold it with my hand and grate the cheese that way.

I read somewhere that tomatoes need to be really firm. If they are overly ripe or soft, they will not slice properly. I've grated cheddar & mozzarella on it, but noticed that the cheese has to be really cold/hard.

I love mine, one of the reasons why I joined PC is because the U-mandoline was in the kit. Scalloped potatoes are much easier to make, it used to take me over an hour to perfectly cut my potatoes, now 10 mins including clean up. For tomatoes, I use plums tomatoes and refrigerate them for 30 mins before slicing them. Perfection! Loving the UM.

overthyme said:
I read somewhere that tomatoes need to be really firm. If they are overly ripe or soft, they will not slice properly. I've grated cheddar & mozzarella on it, but noticed that the cheese has to be really cold/hard.

I have posted on this before... Firm hard tomatoes? I love tomatoes. However,I am a very picky tomato person and If I am given a hard firm tomato to eat, I will choose not to. On the other hand, the UM does work well with all other things I have sliced. As far as tomatoes, I am still glad I have my original USG. Which works with tomaotes which are perfectly ripe, and not hard and taste like your eating a peice of cardboard. So If I had to pick Love it or Not... I am in the Gray area.
Schel

How do I know if it is defective?? Mine sticks almost every time I use it.

<h2>1. Should I invest in a Mandoline if I already have a USG?</h2><p>It ultimately depends on your personal preference and cooking needs. While both tools are designed for slicing and cutting vegetables, the Mandoline offers more versatility with adjustable thickness settings and the ability to create julienne cuts. If you frequently cook dishes that require precise and uniform slices, investing in a Mandoline may be worth it.</p><h2>2. Are you selling a lot of Mandolines?</h2><p>Yes, the Mandoline is one of our top-selling products. Its durability, ease of use, and versatile cutting options make it a popular choice among our customers.</p><h2>3. Is the Mandoline easy to clean?</h2><p>Yes, the Mandoline is designed for easy cleaning. It is dishwasher safe, but we recommend hand washing for optimal longevity. Make sure to use caution when handling the sharp blades and always use the provided safety guard.</p><h2>4. Can the Mandoline cut through harder vegetables like potatoes?</h2><p>Yes, the Mandoline is capable of cutting through a variety of fruits and vegetables, including harder ones like potatoes. However, we recommend using a sharp knife to cut off the ends of the vegetable first to create a flat surface for easier slicing.</p><h2>5. Is the Mandoline safe to use?</h2><p>When used properly and with caution, the Mandoline is a safe tool. It comes with a safety guard to protect your fingers from the sharp blades. It is important to always use the guard and follow the instructions for proper use to avoid any accidents.</p>

1. Should I invest in a Mandoline if I already have a USG?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference and cooking needs. While both tools are designed for slicing and cutting vegetables, the Mandoline offers more versatility with adjustable thickness settings and the ability to create julienne cuts. If you frequently cook dishes that require precise and uniform slices, investing in a Mandoline may be worth it.

2. Are you selling a lot of Mandolines?

Yes, the Mandoline is one of our top-selling products. Its durability, ease of use, and versatile cutting options make it a popular choice among our customers.

3. Is the Mandoline easy to clean?

Yes, the Mandoline is designed for easy cleaning. It is dishwasher safe, but we recommend hand washing for optimal longevity. Make sure to use caution when handling the sharp blades and always use the provided safety guard.

4. Can the Mandoline cut through harder vegetables like potatoes?

Yes, the Mandoline is capable of cutting through a variety of fruits and vegetables, including harder ones like potatoes. However, we recommend using a sharp knife to cut off the ends of the vegetable first to create a flat surface for easier slicing.

5. Is the Mandoline safe to use?

When used properly and with caution, the Mandoline is a safe tool. It comes with a safety guard to protect your fingers from the sharp blades. It is important to always use the guard and follow the instructions for proper use to avoid any accidents.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Rhonda-Roo
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • TinasKitchen
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies