• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lime-Berry Trifle for Show: Tips and Tricks for Hosting Success

In summary, Tomorrow's hostess chose the lime-berry trifle form my list to have at her show, and it will be my first time making it. Has anyone made it as a show recipe, and do you have any suggestions? The recipe looks easy enough, and I found good bargains at the store.I just made this at my show on Saturday & it was a huge hit! I only used 1 teaspoon zest instead of 1 tablespoon--when I tried it at home it had a VERY strong lime taste. Although, I am in my first trimester, so I may not be a good judge! It showed a lot of good products (ult. mand AND trifle bowl--this & next month's specials
mrssyvo
Tomorrow's hostess chose the lime-berry trifle form my list to have at her show, and it will be my first time making it. Has anyone made it as a show recipe, and do you have any suggestions? The recipe looks easy enough, and I found good bargins at the store.

I just made this at my show on Saturday & it was a huge hit! I only used 1 teaspoon zest instead of 1 tablespoon--when I tried it at home it had a VERY strong lime taste. Although, I am in my first trimester, so I may not be a good judge! It showed a lot of good products (ult. mand AND trifle bowl--this & next month's specials) & when you toast the almonds, you can bring in cookware. Really easy show recipe, I think. I wasn't sure when I first made it, but everyone just loved it on Saturday. So I'm going to add it to my recipe choices for the spring/summer. Good luck!

Be prepared for LOTS of prep work. My director had a bridal show yesterday. She did the lime berry trifle and the jerk chicken salad. I went with her to help. She has decided not to do the recipes together ever again because it was just too much work beforehand ... would have been horrible and very stressful if she had done all the prep by herself!

I bought the ingredients, so I will do most of the prep here at home, The recipe looks very easy.

It is easy... I just did it at a show yesterday. You can show off a LOT of tools! I can't wait till we get the salad/berry spinner to show how we can wash berries too.I think it took me a little longer than it could have, because I had trouble with the mandoline. I would suggest using the adjustable blade on large, rather than the v-shaped blade. The v-shaped seems to cut the limes too thin, and they don't look as pretty.Also, I think I would have used slightly less sherbet, but only because I could only find a 12-oz pound cake, not a 16-oz. It didn't absorb the melting sherbet as well.

chefmelody said:
I think it took me a little longer than it could have, because I had trouble with the mandoline. I would suggest using the adjustable blade on large, rather than the v-shaped blade. The v-shaped seems to cut the limes too thin, and they don't look as pretty.
The V blade actually cuts thicker than the adjustable on thick. And it works the best on citrus and tomatoes.

chefann said:
The V blade actually cuts thicker than the adjustable on thick. And it works the best on citrus and tomatoes.

Really? I used it on lemons before and it seemed to cut thicker than the v-shaped one. Is my v-shaped defective, perhaps? It barely seems to cut slivers.

sailortena said:
Be prepared for LOTS of prep work. My director had a bridal show yesterday. She did the lime berry trifle and the jerk chicken salad. I went with her to help. She has decided not to do the recipes together ever again because it was just too much work beforehand ... would have been horrible and very stressful if she had done all the prep by herself!

I did less prep work for this recipe than I usually do. I only did the trifle though & the jerk chicken is a lot of work in itself--not two recipes I'd do together!

All I did was wash the fruit & I did slice most of the strawberries at home (left 5 to demo hulling & slicing). I put the sherbet in the Chillzanne small bowl b/c I could only find a quart size so I used 1/2. The cake thawed on the way to the show & I thawed the cool whip in the fridge the night before. When I got to the house, I put the cream cheese in the BB & filled the EAD halfway with cool whip. That was about all the prep I did at the host's house. I even did all the limes zesting & juicing & slicing during the show.

Sue -

Good luck with your show! I made it last week at my Mom's and it was delicious!!

If it is the only recipe I think you'll be fine. It does show off lots of great products and really shows off the trifle bowl. I did have a hard time with the limes on the mandoline - but maybe they were just really tough-skinned or something...

Maybe try one at home to see how it goes first since you are bringing the ingredients.

And let me know how it goes - I just heard from my host for Sunday and that is the recipe that she picked too!

I'll talk to you soon -

Val

I made this over the weekend as a test for my April show. I too had a rough time with the Mandoline and the limes! It kept popping out of the holder. And to top it off, I then forgot to put them in the bowl! It looked fine without them. I may skip that step. Honestly, I feel if I can't demo the Mandoline properly, there's no point in showing it and making the recipe look difficult.

I agree, I would do a lot of prep, like slicing most of the cake etc.

I have a host tonight that seems to think I am a caterer - It's just hard to say no to people. I am probably going to cut the limes on my USG before I leave so that they are sliced - I don't have a Mandoline yet and don't know whether it is a good investment for me to purchase this item

Make sure your limes are room temp when you slice them....and then slice off the end of the lime so you have a larger flat surface facing the balde of the UM....

why room temp? what is the difference? I had never heard of that.
Thanks!

sarahmarie said:
why room temp? what is the difference? I had never heard of that.
Thanks!

I don't know :D I've just had better luck with them slicing when they have been room temp!

hmm thanks for the tip!

I did my prep work for the show, and I sliced 1 of the limes with the mandoline, it was so easy, and they sliced beautifully. I used the thick and thin blade, but it cut very thin.

I think this recipe will be a huge hit when it gets really hot.

I used the meat tenderizer (flat side) to squish down the first layer of pound cake so the trifle wouldn't overfill so easily.

I wouldn't do this recipe with another "A" recipe. It would be ok with the 30 minute chicken if you are ok with cooking and cutting the chicken up ahead of time.

I like the tenderizer tip! Mine has now settled in the fridge but I was spilling on Saturday!

My limes were room temp. But I cut them in 1/2 first and then put the 1/2s on the mandoline cut side out. Is this what I did wrong?

I think I cut my limes in half and then put the cut side towards the blade.

Unfortunately, everytime I wash a new UM, it gets bent out of shape :(

Okay, that is what I did Paige. All it did was try and tear up little pieces at first. I had to really mash them on there and maybe then it worked lol!

I cut off just a small end of the lime to give it a flat surface, and then slice the lime very quickly letting the UM do the work - using the V blade.....that seems to work well for me.

I did this trifle at my show last night and it turned out gorgeous. Dang those berries are expensive right now though. I sliced the limes at home with my USG.

I am planning to do this recipe for a fundraiser on Sunday - I made it last week at home and it was awesome!

Kathytnt said:
I did this trifle at my show last night and it turned out gorgeous. Dang those berries are expensive right now though. I sliced the limes at home with my USG.
Fresh strawberries are on sale this week at Kroger, if you have one near you. They also have Betty Crocker cake mix 10/$10. And there was a coupon in the paper this past Sunday for 50 cents off when you buy a BC cake mix and BC frosting, which if your Kroger doubles, takes it down to $1.50 for a mix and frosting. (I just got $130 worth of groceries yesterday for $70 after coupons and sales. Gotta love that!)

I'm making this at my show tomorrow night and Sunday. I practiced at home yesterday since today is DH's b-day...he just had a trifle instead of a b-day cake. :) Anyway, how are you all softening the sherbet? That was the most difficult part to me...it wasn't super softened, and it didn't spread worth a flip. I also don't know the purpose of the lime slices (other than a pretty decor) b/c they are so darn tart NO ONE will eat them...at least I don't think so. I truly think they are a waste, but I guess I'll do it for the demo aspect. So, any other tips/advice? TIA

Re: softening the sherbet...either let it sit out at room temp for a while or zap it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds at a time...then STIR it to get a consistant texture (won't have watery parts and then still frozen parts.) On the DVD when they were showing this, the sherbet had the consistancy of a milkshake before they tried to pour it over.

I am sure the lime slices are more for looks than anything else...plus it gives you a reason to show a high priced item (UM) to cut them!!

See??????? You aren't a thread killer!! HaaaaHaaaaa!

Thanks Kelly! I guess it WOULD help if I watched that darn DVD. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Hmmm...another thing added to my to-do list. Will the day be long enough? We shall see!

Oh, and now you aren't the thread killer...LOL!

spoiledchef said:
Thanks Kelly! I guess it WOULD help if I watched that darn DVD. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Hmmm...another thing added to my to-do list. Will the day be long enough? We shall see!

Oh, and now you aren't the thread killer...LOL!

DVD???
Which DVD?
Shhhhh....don't tell my downline how clueless I am....

dannyzmom said:
DVD???
Which DVD?
Shhhhh....don't tell my downline how clueless I am....

Ugh I am such an ass...the DVD has been sitting on my desk...nicely up on the shelf, of course...it's in the DVD player right now...

Last edited:
dannyzmom said:
Ugh I am such an ass...the DVD has been sitting on my desk...nicely up on the shelf, of course...it's in the DVD player right now...
Just got home from my cluster meeting - where my director confessed that she just watched the DVD - first one she's seen in 10 years of PC!:eek:

ChefBeckyD said:
Just got home from my cluster meeting - where my director confessed that she just watched the DVD - first one she's seen in 10 years of PC!:eek:

Whew!! Glad to know I am not alone!

I will watch the DVD before my April show. I may leave the slices out. I've been in front of the group before, they are not big spenders and I'm better focusing on the trifle which will be high enough priced for them! Not that I'm trying to decide for my customers but again, if I can't demo properly I'm not doing the item justice to show it and make it look tough.

1. What ingredients do I need to make the Lime-Berry Trifle for Show?

To make the Lime-Berry Trifle for Show, you will need 1 box of white cake mix, 1 package of lime gelatin mix, 1 cup of boiling water, 1/2 cup of cold water, 1 cup of sliced strawberries, 1 cup of blueberries, 1 tub of whipped topping, and 1 lime for garnish.

2. Can I make the Lime-Berry Trifle ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the Lime-Berry Trifle ahead of time. We recommend making it no more than 24 hours before serving to ensure the cake stays moist and the flavors have time to blend together.

3. Do I need to use a specific type of trifle dish for this recipe?

No, you can use any type of trifle dish or large clear bowl for this recipe. However, we recommend using a clear dish to show off the beautiful layers of the trifle.

4. Can I use different types of berries for this recipe?

Yes, you can use any combination of berries for this recipe. We recommend using fresh berries for the best flavor, but frozen berries can also be used.

5. Are there any substitutions for the whipped topping in this recipe?

Yes, you can use homemade whipped cream or whipped coconut cream as a substitute for the whipped topping in this recipe. Just be sure to use a stabilizer, such as cornstarch or cream of tartar, to keep the whipped cream from deflating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
sfdavis918
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • Tara1021
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
dannyzmom