• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lemon Mishaps: Can Anybody Give Me some Lemon AID?

In summary, "Lemon Mishap" refers to a cooking or baking mishap involving lemons, and "Lemon AID" is a term used by Pampered Chef for helpful tips to fix such mishaps. If you accidentally use bottled lemon juice in a recipe, you can add lemon zest or dilute the juice with water. When a recipe calls for "fresh lemon," regular, Meyer, or Eureka lemons can be used. Finally, lemon juice and lemon zest cannot be substituted for each other in a recipe.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I bought 3 lemons to use in my lemon cake recipe (later realized I needed 4 since I doubled it, but I digress.)

Lemon 1 was bad inside ... I ended up using it mostly for zest and mandoline practice.

Lemon 2 had a REALLY thick rind and each slice (I gave up and used a knife) had a big round of white around it.

Lemon 3 was good.

Can anybody give me some Lemon AID?

HA! :DI try to pick fruit that seems heavy for its size, as that means that it's juicy inside. I have also learned that you want lemons that have smooth skin. If it's bumpy and textured, that's bad (I think that's an indicator of thick skin).

I just read in the theme show stuff from HO that you should pick a lemon with thin skin and heavy for its size.

From the Whole Foods site:

Lemons

One of the tricks to finding a good quality lemon is to find one that is rather thin-skinned since those with thicker peels will have less flesh and therefore be less juicy. Therefore, choose lemons that are heavy for their size and that feature peels that have a finely grained texture. They should be fully yellow in color as those that have green tinges will be more acidic due to the fact that they have not fully ripened. Signs of overmature fruit include wrinkling, soft or hard patches and dull coloring. Fresh lemons are available all year round.

Has anyone used key limes to do the lemon cakes?

Oohh... that would be good, but REALLY tart! Yum!

I LOVE key limes!!!! :) Mmmmmm

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear about your lemon mishaps. I've definitely had my fair share of lemon troubles in the kitchen too. Here are a few tips that might help you out next time you're working with lemons:

1. Always make sure to give your lemons a good squeeze before purchasing them. If they feel too firm or have a lot of give, they may not be the best for cooking with.

2. When zesting a lemon, make sure to only get the yellow part of the rind. The white pith can be bitter and ruin the flavor of your dish.

3. If you're having trouble slicing your lemons with a mandoline or knife, try using a citrus juicer. It will give you perfectly even slices every time.

4. To avoid any surprises, always buy an extra lemon or two just in case. It's better to have too many than not enough.

I hope these tips help you in your future lemon endeavors. Happy cooking!

Related to Lemon Mishaps: Can Anybody Give Me some Lemon AID?

1. What is a "Lemon Mishap" in the context of Pampered Chef?

A "Lemon Mishap" refers to a cooking or baking mishap that involves lemons, such as accidentally adding too much lemon juice or using the wrong type of lemon in a recipe. It can also refer to any other mistake or accident related to using lemons in the kitchen.

2. Can anybody give me some "Lemon AID" to fix my lemon mishap?

Yes, "Lemon AID" is a term used by Pampered Chef to refer to helpful tips and tricks for fixing lemon mishaps. These can include adjusting the amount of lemon juice used, substituting different types of lemons, or using other ingredients to balance out the flavor.

3. I accidentally used bottled lemon juice instead of fresh lemon. How can I fix this mistake?

If you've accidentally used bottled lemon juice instead of fresh lemon, you can try adding a small amount of lemon zest to the recipe to add some fresh lemon flavor. Alternatively, you can dilute the bottled lemon juice with water to reduce the intensity of the flavor.

4. What type of lemon should I use for a recipe that calls for "fresh lemon"?

In general, recipes that call for "fresh lemon" are referring to the juice and zest of a regular lemon. However, you can also use Meyer lemons, which are slightly sweeter and less acidic, or Eureka lemons, which are more tart and acidic. It's best to use the type of lemon specified in the recipe, if possible.

5. Can I substitute lemon juice for lemon zest in a recipe?

No, lemon juice and lemon zest have different flavors and serve different purposes in a recipe. Lemon juice provides acidity and a tangy flavor, while lemon zest adds a bright, citrusy aroma. If a recipe calls for lemon zest, it's best to use it rather than substituting with lemon juice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• tlmcunning
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Michelle817
  • ChefinHarmony
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lisacb77
Replies