• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Large Bar Pan (? for All You "Seasoned Ladies")

In summary, Some people have had trouble with their stones becoming oily and/or sticky, and have had to try various methods to fix the problem. It is not recommended to do a self-cleaning oven cycle, as this may damage the stone.
purrbal
Gold Member
Okay I have had mine since the first of the year and it is pretty dark now but I notice oil (tacky feel) on the bottom of the stone, is this bad? I know the stone is well seasoned but is this bad that there is that tacky over oiled feeling on the bottom of the stone???

It won't hurt anything. If it bothers you, just try hot water, baking soda, and elbow grease.

I have a host that this continues to happen to her on her large bar pan as well. WE have replaced it four times now! I think it could be that she is spraying it with oil each time... are you doing that? If you are.... STOP!

Good suggestions Rae, but danged if I havent tired all of that and it just does not work. I would suggest getting it replaced for a new one.

I had my wonderfully seasoned large bar pan crack on me about two years ago. The first stone they sent me did that...I swear it was like the grease was soaking THROUGH the stone and all over the bottom. Nothing I tried would get it off...Plus, every time I used it, grease came up OUT OF THE STONE...

They replaced that one for me and the replacement stone has done the SAME exact thing!! I am not bothering to return this one, as I do not want to have to "reseason" another new stone.

I just don't display the bottom when I am showing that stone at my shows. Looks gross, but then again- so do the insides of our stones when they are seasoned!! LOL

I have heard from other consultants that this is occuring more frequently...perhaps they changed the makeup of the stones slightly?

Thank God I'm not alone in this....I've had 2 personal Large Bar Pans do this and also the Medium Bar pan does this.

Grrr!!

Lisa

I hope mine do not start this! So far I have had none of this.

It happened to my small round stone. I thought it was because I over oiled it initially, it has taken some time and many washings (just hot water and scrubbing) but the stickiness is less now. I wouldn't take it to shows for a while because I was embarassed.

I am having the same problem with my small bar pan. Picked it up today to bake some fish sticks for my kids and the bottom was SOOO sticky. Funny thing is, it's only the bottom! The rest of the pan is dark but not really sticky. Rinsed in super-hot water, but maybe I'll try the baking soda thing?

My hubby made potatoes in the oven on it with cheese and I am sure he sprayed them I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the stone. If I continue to use it will the oil come up and go away or will things continue to soak through?

cat said:
I am having the same problem with my small bar pan. Picked it up today to bake some fish sticks for my kids and the bottom was SOOO sticky. Funny thing is, it's only the bottom! The rest of the pan is dark but not really sticky. Rinsed in super-hot water, but maybe I'll try the baking soda thing?
I used the baking soda paste thing on the bottom of mine a couple of times...let it sit for a while and then scrub with steel wool. It really helped with the stickyness, but it still looks gross.

My sticky, greasy gunk was on the top edges of the pan and there was some on the bottom. I put the baking soda paste on the pan and added extra baking soda in very hot water in the sink and let the pan set in it overnight. Since it was the large bar pan, I had to flip it the next day, so I refilled the sink with very hot water and the paste was still on that end of the pan and let it also set until later that night. I didn't even have to scrub, all the sticky, greasy stuff melted off. Maybe this would work for yours.

Anyone tried the self-cleaning oven trick? I've heard of doing this but have never tried....

DizziePixie said:
Anyone tried the self-cleaning oven trick? I've heard of doing this but have never tried....

My SIL did that with her REALLY dark stones back when she was a consultant. It made them to look new again but they then had to be reseasoned.

This is not recommended at all by HO even though some have done it...and remember you have to then reseason.

Also, I had my glass in my oven break this year after a self-cleaning oven cycle. I'd hate to risk my stones!

Someone in our cluster had a customer who did the "self-cleaning oven trick" and the stone caught on fire while in her oven. It destroyed part of her kitchen. Fire dept. came to put fire out. Once the fire started she couldn't open the oven because it is locked, so she couldn't put out the fire. She could only call for help and use the extinguisher she had to keep the rest of the fire under some control.

dcypcar.chef said:
Someone in our cluster had a customer who did the "self-cleaning oven trick" and the stone caught on fire while in her oven. It destroyed part of her kitchen. Fire dept. came to put fire out. Once the fire started she couldn't open the oven because it is locked, so she couldn't put out the fire. She could only call for help and use the extinguisher she had to keep the rest of the fire under some control.

:eek: YIKES!!!

I was thinking of running in through the dishwasher on a rinse only cycle. I am glad this story was posted I won't be trying that anytime soon, I cannot afford that kind of damage. Nice thought though.

Related to Large Bar Pan (? for All You "Seasoned Ladies")

What is the Large Bar Pan used for?

The Large Bar Pan is a versatile baking pan that can be used for a variety of dishes such as cookies, brownies, sheet cakes, roasted vegetables, and even as a pizza stone.

What are the dimensions of the Large Bar Pan?

The Large Bar Pan measures 15.5 inches long, 10.5 inches wide, and 1 inch deep. It can hold up to 15 cups of batter or food.

Is the Large Bar Pan non-stick?

Yes, the Large Bar Pan is made with a non-stick coating that allows for easy release of baked goods and makes for easy clean-up.

Can the Large Bar Pan be used in the microwave?

No, the Large Bar Pan is not safe for use in the microwave. It is designed to be used in the oven only.

How do I care for my Large Bar Pan?

The Large Bar Pan should be hand-washed with warm, soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Avoid using metal utensils or sharp objects on the pan, as it can damage the non-stick coating. It is also not recommended to put the pan in the dishwasher.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Shari in TX
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Shari in TX
  • Renee Anderson
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
nikked
  • mrshamel3808