• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lapboards or No Lapboards?....That Is the Question!

new.She said that she had been doing PC for over 6 years at the time and is a director and bought them on sale.She said that she had been doing PC for over 6 years at the time and is a director and bought them on sale. She said that she had been doing PC for over 6 years at the time and is a director and bought them on sale.
PChefPEI
Silver Member
I have a show tomorrow afternoon and am debating taking lapboards with me again. I know this has been discussed in the past, but I'm bringing it up again anyway :eek:

I have used them in the past and love having them, because it is easy to give the guests the forms they need, and it is convenient for them. But, the down side, they are a pain in the butt to carry to shows, especially this time of year, with the snow and everything.

Anybody have any suggestions? Any innovative ideas?

I got some used ones from another consultant and have gotten rave reviews over them. Yes, one more thing to carry, but DD helps stock them before a show and loves helping. I stack them all in a small laundry basket and take them in that.

I must admit, they are worth it and I wouldn't leave home without them. I actually used them at our Christmas Eve get-together with family this year. We played games and needed them to write.

It's settled then! I will get them going again. Thanks you guys! :D

I just listened to one of the CD's (working PC and another job) and she talked about having 100 homemade lapboards that she keeps in a milk crate in her truck. That way she's not lugging them in and out every night and she doesn't have to refill them until they are all used.

I love my lapboards. They make up for their inconvenience to tote in the fact that you don't have to rely on someone sitting at a table to fill out a form comfortably. I had a show with no tables at all... lap boards saved my butt and made it my 2nd highest show!

wadesgirl said:
I just listened to one of the CD's (working PC and another job) and she talked about having 100 homemade lapboards that she keeps in a milk crate in her truck. That way she's not lugging them in and out every night and she doesn't have to refill them until they are all used.

Holy office supply store bill Batman! I wouldn't be able to afford 50 Three-ring binders to cut in half to make that many lapboards. It is a really good idea however. I guess when I have $100.00 sitting around I'll reconsider getting my hair done, and buy some binders in bulk. :)

I used them for 2-3 years, but have since gone back to just a manila folder w/ a catalog, order form, and customer care slip....

They just got too heavy - and when I started doing 10-12 shows a month, it was just easier - I make a bunch of folders up in advance, and then grab as many as I need when packing my kit. I'm trying to do things the easiest, fastest, smartest way possible.

Kitchen Diva said:
Holy office supply store bill Batman! I wouldn't be able to afford 50 Three-ring binders to cut in half to make that many lapboards. It is a really good idea however. I guess when I have $100.00 sitting around I'll reconsider getting my hair done, and buy some binders in bulk. :)

She said that she had been doing PC for over 6 years at the time and is a director and bought them on sale. But I agree with you, I have a hard time when it's $1 per binder.

I don't use lapboards but I do use "project" covers. I bought 6 per pack at the dollar store. They have a clear folded sheet with a plastic binder slide down thingy. I put an order form and a piece of paper in the catalog. That's all I use. This makes sure that I talk about the host benefits, guest benefits and recruiting benefits rather than hoping that they read any flyers included. I've never had anyone complain about not having anything to right on.

I've tried folders and lap boards, and really, what works best for me, is NOTHING. I give everyone a catalog, order form and pen (at the beginning of the show). That's it. My sales haven't suffered (average has been on the rise), no one has ever complained that it's difficult to write, and it's one less trip for me. I'm already lugging in too much stuff (I've really been cutting down on what I bring, though, and again - no drop in sales at all); plus, I'm trying to make my job look easy!

Just my $0.02...

I use poly folders--they're more sturdy and longer lasting than a standard paper/cardboard folders. I've also found there are different "grades" of poly folders. Some are sturdier than others. I've had the same ones for 18 months and they all still look like new. I think they cost me $1 each when I bought them. I have since bought some on sale at Staples should I need to put together more in the future (at Back to School time I think I got somewhere between 4-8 for a dollar at Staples. Can't remember back that far!)

I have a clear Pampered Chef sticker on front (most are red; as are my inkpens I hand out to help cut down on people keeping my pens) and I have 4 or 5 pages protectors in the clasps, and in those I put the current monthly specials, the Benefits of Hosting a Show flyer and a homemade flyer showcasing how much I earned my first 90 days as a Consultant.

I put the catalog and order form in the front pocket, and recruiting info in the back pocket. I go through the contents of my folders before I start and let my customers know they may keep the catalog, I just ask I get my folder back, and that the recruiting info is there for the taking. (I have a real problem being pushy and asking people if they are interested in being a consultant, so I make the material available so they can look it over at their leisure--and, yes, I know I'm missing out on opportunities--it's just a hang-up I have for now). I have 15 folders and have to restock catalogs and order forms before each show, but it doesn't take long. I also found a great rectangular-shaped Sterilite container that holds all my folders and Measure-All pen holder, door prize slips, and extra catalogs and order forms. The lid is secured by flaps on either side of the container and it has a handle, so it's very easy to move around and it keeps everything contained and cleaned.

I don't know about lap boards and how people who use them organize their items, but so far I've been very pleased with how my set up works for me. Many of my customers use the folders to write on without a problem.

Just another point of view to consider...

Have a blessed New Year!

Tammy

I invested in some 1/2" white binders w/ clear pockets when they were on sale (and it was a fabulous savings, like 6 binders for $3 or something). Then I cut them off the binding and have 2 lapboards per binder.

I put different fliers in each clear front pocket, like guest specials, host special for current month and future month and any recruiting promos, plus one or two covering fundraisers and wedding showers.

On the inside pocket I put my order form (I've started using the outside order form (they write their wish list on the back), catalog and Your Life Your Way brochure.

Guests seem to like having something hard to write on and I always remember to go over what they have in their laps (and I also always remember to cover all the specials, promotions, etc.).

Yes, they're heavy but they're worth it. Just my two cents!

Related to Lapboards or No Lapboards?....That Is the Question!

1. What is a lapboard?

A lapboard is a portable and lightweight surface that can be used on your lap as a workspace for cooking or other activities. It typically has a flat surface and may have raised edges to prevent items from sliding off.

2. Why would I need a lapboard?

A lapboard can be helpful in providing a stable and clean surface for meal prep, especially when cooking in a small or crowded kitchen. It can also be used for other activities like writing, crafting, or using a laptop on your lap.

3. Can I use any lapboard for cooking?

While some lapboards are specifically designed for cooking, any sturdy and heat-resistant lapboard can be used for this purpose. It is important to check the product specifications and make sure it can withstand the heat of your cookware.

4. Do lapboards come in different sizes?

Yes, lapboards come in various sizes to fit different needs and preferences. Some may be larger for more surface area, while others may be smaller and more compact for easy storage and portability.

5. Are lapboards easy to clean?

Most lapboards are made of materials that are easy to clean and maintain. It is recommended to wipe them down with a damp cloth or sponge and mild soap. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbing too hard to prevent damaging the surface.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AJPratt
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • pamperedlinda
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • Carol Waggoner