• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with a Declined CC: Tips and Strategies for Successful Orders

In summary, the consultant had a show on hold and was trying to process a declined credit card payment from a customer. After multiple attempts to contact the customer and clarify the payment details, the consultant decided to involve the home office and manually run the card. The consultant also informed the host of the show about the hold and asked for patience in receiving the orders. The conversation also discussed the issue of customers emailing credit card information, which is not secure, and the consultant's policy of notifying hosts that show orders may take up to two weeks to arrive.
Ok, I have a show on hold it was held on 4/10 and I closed with the host on the 18th, I ran all weekend and didn't close it until Sunday night, since it was the weekend it didn't make a huge difference anyway.
So there was a declined cc, I got the notice Tues and called the girl, but I only have an eve #. Late afternoon she emails me a number with one digit different. I call HO and it is an invalid #. Then I call her # and email her back. Since I didn't hear from her I called her again and went over the # and it was the original # I had on file. I asked her if it was a debit card, she said yes, but oh it could be a close call if there was enough money in the bank because she subtracted it when she sent in the order (it was an online order) and thought the money had already cleared the bank ??? Which I don't quite get because if she had already subtracted it shouldn't money be in there? I do online banking though and it didn't sound like she did.
So she says oh well I get paid Fri! I asked her for another # and she said this is all she has. So I told her that I was going to call home office again and ask them to rerun it. She said that it was close but she thinks there should be enough in the bank.
She said she could call the bank tomorrow and have them transfer money from another account but with her work schedule she didn't know if she could get to it and by then it would be almost Fri anyway.
So HO is running the card manually, but I am worried it won't clear. Will she get a bounced fee for this? I told her if it didn't clear I would have them run it again on Fri. She didn't seem to realize the whole show was on hold for her. So I sorta said that the show would ship once her card cleared.
Anyway, I went ahead and called the host and let her know the show was on hold as of right now. I usually don't do this but I was worried about her wondering where the orders were. I didn't tell her whose card just that there was one on hold and until it cleared the show wouldn't ship.
What would you have done?

You did fine... you are not a miracle worker and some people are just dumb (oops did I say that?) I would not wory if she gets an overdraft fee. It is not your fault she can not figure uot a checking account. At least it was a debit card and you aren't getting burned on a bad check. Now that really sucks!
Good job calling the host but keeping the persons identity quiet.

Thanks for the comment, I know I handled it the best I could I just hate it when you feel like the bad guy all around, not that anyone was mad at me.

Two things:
1. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER have customers email cc #s to you. It's not secure
2. No reason to involve the host. I tell all hosts that show orders will arrive in about two weeks just in case things like this happen.

OKay so if I remember correctly there have been 2 threads about this issue in the past few days and guess what!?!? It Happened To Me this morning! argh...lol! :)

Okay so is it really HO issues or is it more of customer/consultant errors in giving 'good' numbers & typing them in???
Of course its only 810am here so I can't call my customer yet (I don't do calls til 9am and she's prego and has a little one so I'm praying she gets to sleep in. hee hee)

DebbieJ said:
Two things:
1. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER have customers email cc #s to you. It's not secure
2. No reason to involve the host. I tell all hosts that show orders will arrive in about two weeks just in case things like this happen.
I do know this but this is the second time I have had a customer not willing to give me the info over the phone but instead want to email it to me. I didn't ask her to email it she just did. I had one lady that was not comfortable leaving information on the answering machine but wanted to email all of it to me. At that point I figure if that is what makes them comfortable then that's up to them.

I also had a customer once not want to give me a CC# on a cell phone. I would definitely think email would be even LESS secure!

cincychef said:
I didn't ask her to email it she just did. I had one lady that was not comfortable leaving information on the answering machine but wanted to email all of it to me. At that point I figure if that is what makes them comfortable then that's up to them.

In a business law class I took in college the instructor stated that e-mail communication between a client and his lawyer is not protected by confidentiality because of how unsecure email is.

If a customer doesn't want to give you the information over the phone, I would suggest they submit the order through your PWS. If necessary, just go in and bump the closing date so they can still access it. This way, they are using a secure website.

I prefer to get the CC number over the phone or in person, but if the person giving out the number wants to email it, then IMHO then that is their call and not mine to make - it is their security they are risking and they are the one making the decisio not me.

Hope you get your situation resolved! Thankfully, I have had only this happen once and the 2nd time it ran, enough money was in it.

I do not understand why people spend money they do not have!

[QUOTE=jrstephens]I prefer to get the CC number over the phone or in person, but if the person giving out the number wants to email it, then IMHO then that is their call and not mine to make - it is their security they are risking and they are the one making the decisio not me.

Hope you get your situation resolved! Thankfully, I have had only this happen once and the 2nd time it ran, enough money was in it.

I do not understand why people spend money they do not have![/QUOTE]
Thanks, this is how I see it too!
No PC called me today and it was declined again! So I wait until tomorrow and call her again!

I was able to resolve my issue. It was my stupid mistake. I called the customer told her I thought I wrote something down wrong and wanted to confirm. She was ok with that and I did- the exp. date was wrong, once I said it out loud to her I knew it was wrong! Just goes to show i really need to repeat everything over the phone. :)

I have had a customer do a CC# over email but the way she did it someone would just think it was a bunch of #'s unless they were smart

jbdowd0798 said:
OKay so if I remember correctly there have been 2 threads about this issue in the past few days and guess what!?!? It Happened To Me this morning! argh...lol! :)

Okay so is it really HO issues or is it more of customer/consultant errors in giving 'good' numbers & typing them in???
Of course its only 810am here so I can't call my customer yet (I don't do calls til 9am and she's prego and has a little one so I'm praying she gets to sleep in. hee hee)

When I handed out the order forms I told people the following: "If you have the been told that you should have been a doctor based on your unique penmanship, please pass your orderform to the person on your left and ask them to fill it out for you...clearly printed order forms ensure a smooth closing of a show, and ensure that everyone here will get their product sooner rather than later.

I also tell them that if they want to fill in their own CC # to at least have their card out so I can see it to ensure that I can read their numbers. Some people's ones look like sevens, and fours look like nines, etc... it worked wonders for me and I NEVER had any issues, and people normally laughed pretty hard at my "If your handwriting stinks, pleaase, I beg of you, have someone else fill out your contact info and payment info on your order form, for you.

Best of luck!

The Number went through this time! Now I have to wait for Tues for the show to ship.

Kacey~ THANKS!! I had to laugh at what you tell people but it is so true. Of course this time I took the info over the phone and I wrote the exp wrong. But I agree about people being in person and poor hand writing. :)

Related to Dealing with a Declined CC: Tips and Strategies for Successful Orders

What should I do if a customer's credit card is declined?

If a customer's credit card is declined, the first step is to remain calm and professional. Politely inform the customer that the card was declined and ask if they have another form of payment they would like to use. If the customer does not have another form of payment, you can offer to hold the order for a short period of time while they contact their bank or credit card company to resolve the issue.

How can I prevent credit card declines in the future?

To prevent credit card declines, it is important to follow proper credit card processing procedures. Make sure to verify the card's expiration date, CVV code, and billing address before processing the transaction. It is also helpful to keep your equipment and software up to date and to regularly review and update your fraud prevention measures.

What if the customer's credit card continues to be declined?

If a customer's credit card continues to be declined, it may be due to a hold or freeze on their account from their bank or credit card company. In this case, the customer will need to contact their bank or credit card company to resolve the issue. You can also offer alternative payment methods such as cash, check, or PayPal to complete the transaction.

What should I do if the customer is unable to resolve the issue with their bank or credit card company?

If the customer is unable to resolve the issue with their bank or credit card company, you can offer to hold the order for a short period of time while they work on a solution. You can also suggest they try using a different credit card or offer alternative payment methods. If the issue cannot be resolved, it may be necessary to cancel the order.

How can I handle a declined credit card with an in-home party or event?

If a credit card is declined at an in-home party or event, it is best to handle the situation discreetly and privately with the customer. You can offer to hold the order or suggest alternative payment methods. It is important to remain professional and not to embarrass the customer in front of others. If the issue cannot be resolved, you may need to cancel the order or reschedule the party or event for a later date.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJoyJ
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • 3girls
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
  • ChefBeckyD