• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lapboard vs. Catalogue: Has Anyone Tried It?

In summary, using catalogues or lap boards is more effective. Has anyone tried the folder/lapboard idea? Is it beneficial at all?
sivlepa
What's more effective? Using catalogues or lap boards? Has anyone tried the folder/lapboard idea? Is it beneficial at all?

I've been wanting to try it, but wanted some feedback from those who already may have. Thanks!

I really think that a lap board of any kind is a HUGE help to the guests! Some one else on this board (who is very smart:D ) suggested cutting the ring section out of 3-ring binders. That way you have two boards with a pocket for about $1 if you catch a sale! If you wanted you could also get the ones with the clear sleeve in the front and put specials or something else catchy. This way is also great incase one walks off or damaged since you hardly pay anything for it!!

HTH!

I've got the lapboards and I love them. They work really well. I bought the ones from Merrill, they are white with the Pampered Chef logo. They are really nice. My guests all love them. I had one lady tell me that is better then trying to write in your lap with the catalog and order form. LOL. So yeah, they are a big help. If you not in the market to spend, I think it cost me $37.90 for 12 (but like I said they have the PC logo on them), then the binder idea is an awesome idea too. I need a few more so I may have to try to do the binder idea. The only thing with the binder thing is the lapboards have a place to put your bisness card....but it is probably not important.

I have the lap boards that I cut out the rings from a binder. I have used them for more than 2 years and I wouldn't have it any other way. I made sure to use the clear view binders so that I could have a pocket on the back side to put the guest special or whatever I felt like.

I just used lap boards for the first time at my show last night. A girl I go to Church with just quit PC to go back to school and she gave them to me. There were 8 people at my show last night and 5 of them had never been to a PC show before, so I didn't get much feedback on them. You can put stuff on the back side of them, so on some, I put the Bridal Registry flyers and the others the Fund Raiser flyers. I had them all flip them over to write on when we played a game so they would see them ;)

Personally I found the lapboards to be a big nuisance. They are heavy and buly - bringing 20 to each show is a HUGE burden to lug them in. Then having to make sure all the little flyers were in & updated for each show...I used them for a few months then gave up on them. I just give each guest a catalog and orderform now (oh, and a pen - LOL)

I also found them to be a little difficult to take around. They did get a little heavy, but the do look nice and do make writing easier for guests.

However, I am no longer using them. The one thing to ask yourself is if using them will increase your sales or look so great that someone will want to book a show because of them. If the answer is no, I do not recommend using them. They did not help my business so I no longer bring them. I have a much easier time just placing the catalogs and order forms in the side pockets of my rolling case. I needed a separate container to take the lapboards with me. I thought that also made my job look harder.

Lisa

Lap Boards.I made my lapboards, and I love them. I get so many compliments on them. I have had shows where the guest have to sit on the floor and they really appreciate that they have something to lean on when they are filling out their order form. I like the clear pocket on the back side. I put in flyers for fundraisers, registry and host benefits.:)

BindersI have started doing something I read on here somewhere.

We purchased three ring binders, and put page protectors in them. Had the office store cut the catalogs, and put each page in a protector. Then, I have flyers in them about this month's and next month's specials, recruiting information, etc. In the inside pocket, there is the order form.

We started this at the beginning of the season, and I LOVE IT!

The guests all comment on how nice they look, and it's easy to flip through. I give them a catalog to take home at the end of the show when I am doing their order if they would like one.

It does make one more box to take in, but my husband/secretary loves it, because it's much easier for him after the show. He only needs to make sure each pen has an order form and pen, and then change out monthly flyers. Much easier than before.

I'm pretty sure we'll continue with it next season.

I use them. I made them from 3 ring binders. People love them because we're often sitting on the couch in the family room or crowded around a kitchn or dining room table full of food with no place to write. It gives them a hard surface to write on an a place to contain all their stuff.

The ones I use don't have the clear pockets on the other side and it's fine with me.

I actually sold my lapboards to just put everything in the three ring binder. A lady in my cluster gave me this idea and it has worked so much better. I don't have to worry about changing anything except when the new catalog comes out. I actually found my notebooks at a dollar store in town. They are the hard back ones so for one dollar you can't beat that. I believe though if you are going to do a bunch at once you can go to Office Depot and get a big box for 20 or $22 and they have the clear pockets on them. I believe they only actually come out to be only a little over $1 for each of them. If you are on a budget and need to keep your catalogs this is the thing to do. Nikked talked about getting the store to cut the pages, i did this myself so if you need to save some money you can do this yourself if just takes a little time.

Cutting
tiffanypc05 said:
Nikked talked about getting the store to cut the pages, i did this myself so if you need to save some money you can do this yourself if just takes a little time.

To give you an idea on cost, I paid $8 (or something like that) to have Staples cut 25 catalogs...for the amount of time it would have taken me, it was well worth it!

HTH

Cheap BindersI too use the 3 ring binders, I have for about 2 years now. I love it and get lots of compliments from customers and hosts. I am an organization nut so I enjoy them too, haha.

Here's a great tip for you if you are thinking of doing the 3 ring binders. When school goes back this fall, Wal Mart will clearance all remaining school supplies. Every year Wal Mart has these generic 3 ring binders. They don't have the clear pocket on the front, but they do have pockets on the inside of both the front and back cover. I just use the Clear PC Logo stickers from Merrill on the front. When school supplies come out they are normally $0.50 - $1.00 but when school goes BACK in session then they clearanace out at $0.25 a piece. Every year I stock up on these for lots of things but if you plan to do your binders, this is a great time to get them!

For Directors, this is a great time to buy a bundle of 10 for $2.50 and give to new Consultants when they qualify to make binders of their own.

Just an idea =)

Cutting...Oh and one more thing. If you can find a local copy place, not a chain like Office Depot or Office Max, go there to get your catalogs cut.
Most places like this will have a large cutting machine that they can stick all of your catalogs in and cut in one cut. I prepare 20 binders for the season...well I now have 18, somehow I've lost a couple along the way, haha...and it cost me $1.00 to have it done.
There is a place just down the street from where I live. They are locally owned and are super cheap. I can get copies made for about $0.06 a piece and they keep a running tab for me and once it reaches so much they bill me. You probably have one near you too!

I use the folder the kind that has a place for my business card and two pockets. On one side I put the order form on the other side I put the catalog and the guest special. On the front I have stamped on the upper corner my name and info. I love them because the can use them to lean on and everything is together. If they ask if they can keep it I give them the catalog and I keep the folder. I have had to buy more because of guest walking away with it or some have gotten dirty.

I HAD them for a while.But when I gave them to my guests. they usually took the order form and catalog out, then everything else went on the floor.
So for me a catalog and order form and pen is it!

bindersI too use the binder turned into lap board...get two out of each binder..I have the clear cover on the front and the pocket on the other side. I place a catalog, order form, Door prize slip and usually a recipe card in each pocket. I have slipped a host benefits flyer in the clear side. I got the clear PC labels from Nancy's artwork ( I think) and put one on each lap board. They look great and have lasted for over 2 years already...bought each binder for about 1.00 and got two lap boards for that price.

Hey I love the Binder Idea I am getting binders for nothing from a neighbor that works for a company that just throws them away. Free is always good!!!!!! Also you can go into the files and find the pampered Chef logo to print out and put in the fronts of the binders with the clear front....... I made my own car magnet out of it e-mail me and I will forward you with window logo that I found somewhere????????????
Victoria Grissom

I do the half lap boards, and have for 2 years. I also used the stick on photo holders on each one so they have my business card. They look more professional that way.

I love my lap boards!I bought the lap boards when we still used Town & Country. The are black, have the full page clear protector on the back, a pocket on the front that I put the catalog and the OOF in and they have the logo on that pocket and they also have a clear pocket on the lower left side on the front for your business card and a loop at the top to hold an ink pen. I've seen them before when I used to sell rubber stamps for Stampin' Up, they also used Town & Country so when I joined PC I knew what their business cards and such were like.

Theresia Aylward

I used to use folders, then I switched to homemade binder lap boards and I LOVE THEM!! At a recent show, a former consultant commented on them and said, Oh! They didn't have these when I sold this! She was impressed. I get a number of compliments on them. I chose the ones without the clear pocket on the front because that is facing their lap anyway. (And I'm cheap!):cool: Office Max has self-stick business card holders in the ring binder section. So mine have business cards, too. I put one in the right way, then one sticking up at a 90degree angle for the guest to take with them. :D In there, I have (from the bottom up): a host benefits flyer, the DPS, Order Form, Catalog, and on top is a Welcome Flyer from me that they are welcome to take home with them that has my info, some company info, and a recipe. Gives them something to read before the show so they don't fill out their DPS! :p
My vote is FOR the lap boards!

ok, this is why this website is so great, none of these ideas are ones I would have come up with myslelf, and I like to think of myself as quite "thrifty" (sounds better than cheap). I've been "saving" up for the lap boards, but now I'm all over the binder solution!!

amyv- You're too funny! I always say I'm cheap! That's how I talk about all the free stuff I've gotten from PC! Cause if I didn't get it for free, I don't have it! LOL! j/k, but most of it was free! Go for the binders, you won't regret it!

Could someone post a picture of the binder that was cut in half:confused:

Do you do something to make them look nice or are they okay after you cut them. I thought that they would be open on the cut side. I would like to see a picture of them. I use to use three prong folders with clear protectore sleeves inside. But I didn't have more than two kitchen shows a month (I would have mostly catalog shows) so I was putting out so much money for flyer to put into the folder but I wanted them to have something to right on. The three ring binder sounds nice but I picture would help me to figure it out.

Thanks

Related to Lapboard vs. Catalogue: Has Anyone Tried It?

What is a lapboard and how is it different from a catalogue?

A lapboard is a small, portable surface designed to hold and display catalogues, recipes, or other materials while cooking or baking. It typically has a non-slip surface and may also have a built-in stand to prop up the materials at an angle. A catalogue, on the other hand, is a physical or digital booklet that displays the products and offerings of a company.

Why would I need a lapboard when I have a catalogue?

A lapboard offers a hands-free way to view and reference a catalogue while cooking or baking. It also helps keep the catalogue clean and protected from spills or messes. Additionally, a lapboard can be easily moved to different areas of the kitchen, making it more convenient to use.

Is the lapboard only for Pampered Chef catalogues?

While the lapboard is designed specifically for Pampered Chef catalogues, it can also be used to hold and display other materials such as cookbooks, recipe cards, or even tablets or phones for following online recipes.

Can the lapboard be used with all types of cookware and surfaces?

Yes, the lapboard is designed to be used with all types of cookware and surfaces. The non-slip surface helps keep the catalogue or other materials in place, and the compact size allows it to fit on most countertops or tables. However, it is not recommended for use on hot surfaces or near open flames.

Is the lapboard easy to clean and store?

Yes, the lapboard can be easily wiped clean with a damp cloth. It can also be stored in a vertical position to save space in your kitchen. The compact size makes it easy to store in a drawer or cabinet when not in use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
bbauman07
Replies
Views
sailorsarah
  • janel kelly
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
janel kelly