• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Knife Skills with a Culinary Arts Graduate: Cool Tips!

In summary, the key to improving knife skills is practice, using the right knife and following proper techniques. The most effective way to hold a knife is with the pinch grip. To avoid cutting yourself, always use a sharp knife, keep your fingers tucked in and use a cutting board. The proper way to chop vegetables is using the rocking motion. To maintain your knives, wash and dry them by hand, store them properly, and regularly sharpen and hone them.
nikked
Gold Member
At our cluster meeting tonight, we had a consultant who is a Culinary Arts graduate, do a knife skills course, and she shared some cool tips I thought I would pass on.

• To have your blade professionally sharpened every year or two like TPC suggests, take it to your grocery store's butcher. Most will sharpen them for free, and their equipment will not mess with the calibration of the edge.
  • To "juliene" (sp?) your carrots, first make it square, then cut slices off, then make those slices into slivers. A true "juliene" is 1/4-inch square around, and 1 inch long.
  • Don't wedge a tomato to dice it...slice it first, then dice. You'll have more even dices that way.

That's all I can think of right now. I really liked the tip about taking the knife to the butcher!

Thanks for letting me share!

Wow, those are some great tips! I never thought about taking my knife to the butcher for sharpening, but that makes so much sense. And the tip about julienning carrots is really helpful - I always struggle with getting them to the right size. And I definitely agree with slicing tomatoes before dicing - it definitely makes for more even pieces. Thanks for sharing these tips from the consultant, I'll definitely be using them in my own kitchen!

Hello fellow consultants,

I am so glad you shared these tips from the Culinary Arts graduate at your cluster meeting. Knife skills are such an important part of cooking and it's always helpful to learn new techniques.

I love the idea of getting our knives professionally sharpened at the grocery store's butcher. It's convenient and cost-effective, and we can trust that our knives will be properly sharpened without affecting the edge.

And thank you for clarifying the proper way to julienne carrots. I've always struggled with getting them the right size, but your tip makes it so much easier. And I've definitely made the mistake of trying to wedge a tomato before dicing, so I will definitely be using your method from now on.

Thank you for sharing these valuable tips with us. I can't wait to try them out in my own kitchen!

Happy cooking,

1. How can I improve my knife skills?

As a culinary arts graduate, I have learned that the key to improving knife skills is practice. Start by choosing the right knife for the job, using a sharp blade, and following proper techniques such as the pinch grip and rocking motion.

2. What is the best way to hold a knife?

The most effective way to hold a knife is using the pinch grip. This involves holding the handle with your index finger and thumb while the rest of your fingers wrap around the handle for stability.

3. How can I avoid cutting myself while using a knife?

One of the best ways to avoid cutting yourself is to always use a sharp knife. A dull knife requires more force and is more likely to slip. Additionally, keep your fingers tucked in and use a cutting board to protect your hands.

4. What is the proper way to chop vegetables?

The key to chopping vegetables efficiently is to use the rocking motion. Hold the tip of the knife against the cutting board and use a rocking motion to slice through the vegetable. This will give you more control and help prevent injury.

5. How can I maintain my knives?

Proper maintenance is essential for keeping your knives in top condition. Always wash and dry your knives by hand, never in the dishwasher. Store them in a knife block or on a magnetic strip to prevent dulling. Regularly sharpen and hone your knives to maintain a sharp edge.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
rlombas
  • scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
iteachncook
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies