• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Keep Pens from Disappearing with DIY Cooking-Inspired Wraps

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to prevent pens from disappearing at Pampered Chef shows. Suggestions include using stickers or flags with a message, using red pens which are less likely to be taken, and putting flowers or chef's hats on the pens to make them stand out. Some also suggest using pens with the consultant's name on them and not worrying about getting them back.
naekelsey
Gold Member
Just like socks disappear in the dryer, my pens are disappearing at my shows. I want to put something on my pens so they won't, & then stick all the pens into a cup holder. I know about the flowers with florist tape (the green stuff) but want to do something that has to do with cooking.

Can anyone think of in-expensive things to put on pens? Somether that can be wrapped onto the pen like florist tape?

Nancy had (has?) flags that you can print your own message on. You might check to see if she has inventory left. That way, if anyone does abscond with them, at least they'll know they swiped 'em from their friendly, neighborhood Cheffer.If Merrill ever makes them, they'll cost more per piece than the pens do.

KG's suggestions AND buy CHEAP pens! They're gonna walk no matter what.

My DH bought me REALLY nice red pens. I have them in a pencil box, and I hand them out during introductions. I talk about DH and how supportive he is of my business. I tell them that he handles all my inventory and folders, and he really appreciates it if my pens come home with me, and that it helps keep down my overhead.

I haven't had to replace my pens in a year...I hadn't really thought about it before. I guess it helps being honest about the overhead.

HTH!

Red helps. Only teachers (and editors) steal red pens. :D

I put a sticker on all my pens that says: "I love referrals".

I think pens mostly disappear because people don't really realize they're taking them. The stickers stand out....I've had a lot less missing pens since putting them on.

nikked said:
My DH bought me REALLY nice red pens. I have them in a pencil box, and I hand them out during introductions. I talk about DH and how supportive he is of my business. I tell them that he handles all my inventory and folders, and he really appreciates it if my pens come home with me, and that it helps keep down my overhead.

I haven't had to replace my pens in a year...I hadn't really thought about it before. I guess it helps being honest about the overhead.

HTH!

That's a good idea! I've been doing something similar, when I hand them out with my folders I tell the guests that everything inside the folder is theirs to keep, but I do need the pens and folders back at the end of the night. I also say that when I started I had (x)dozen pens, and now only have this many, so if I do not get it back I'll add the cost to their order, and I do not accept payment in the form of coupons, wooden nickels, chuck e. cheese tokens, husbands or children, which normally gets a laugh.

When I purchase pens I always buy the green papermate & take the caps off of them before taking them to my shows. Women will not put a pen in their purse if the cap is missing.

I have only ever used red pens and it seems like they don't disappear very quickly. I keep them in our (now discountinued) bread tube. My Director gave me the tip to using red pens since most people won't take red ones! (Either they don't want the red pen, or they notice that it's red and realize it's NOT THEIRS!!)

I put flowers on the end of mine, and carry them in a flower pot that has Pamepred Chef painted on the side of it. I always get my pens back and no one seems to mind that they aren't cooking related. Something that always cracks me up tho... people smell them, as if they are real......

I have pens with my name on them and really don't care if I get them back or not.

If you want to add flags to your pens you could make your own using address labels. Put a cute saying or your information on them. I also like the flower pot idea - how cute! How about "flowers" in the shape of chef's hats or some of our products - then you could use them to help with introductions or product introduction ("tell us which product you have on your pen and what you love about it...").

BethCooks4U said:
I have pens with my name on them and really don't care if I get them back or not.

If you want to add flags to your pens you could make your own using address labels. Put a cute saying or your information on them. I also like the flower pot idea - how cute! How about "flowers" in the shape of chef's hats or some of our products - then you could use them to help with introductions or product introduction ("tell us which product you have on your pen and what you love about it...").

Beth, I LOVE the idea about the intro flags.........

KellyTheChef said:
I have only ever used red pens and it seems like they don't disappear very quickly. I keep them in our (now discountinued) bread tube. My Director gave me the tip to using red pens since most people won't take red ones! (Either they don't want the red pen, or they notice that it's red and realize it's NOT THEIRS!!)

This has been my experience as well. I rarely lose a pen. Red seems to do the trick and when you're going around the room. . .they are easy for YOU to notice and collect.

Of course, I've also always used lapboards or folders that also had to be collected. Perhaps that makes a difference.

I put numbers on my pens. Then at the end of the show I ask everyone to write down their pen number on their order form. Then I have everyone drop their pens in the batter bowl and I draw one out for a prize. I get all my pens back:D

luvs2sellit said:
I put numbers on my pens. Then at the end of the show I ask everyone to write down their pen number on their order form. Then I have everyone drop their pens in the batter bowl and I draw one out for a prize. I get all my pens back:D

love, Love, LOVE this idea! Thanks!!!

luvs2sellit said:

oh, I'm gonna steal your idea!!

amy07 said:
when I hand them out with my folders I tell the guests that everything inside the folder is theirs to keep, but I do need the pens and folders back at the end of the night.

That's what I do. And although I've lost plenty along the way, this is not one of the things I fret about. I buy the cheapest pens possible.

I think I have some of the pen flags from nancys if anyones interested..pm me

luvs2sellit said:
That's a great idea but I have found that if I don't use the door prize drawing slips I don't get the contact information on everyone. I also find that people will tell me their interest level on those and I can use it for customer care calls.

I had 200 pens imprinted with my name and contact information, and then I didn't care if they walked off with it :) Wrote off the cost as a business expense -- there was some special about buy 100 get 100 free -- only cost around $40 or so, if I recall.

I do use the door prize drawing slips. This is just an extra.

I use the red pens. I try not to get the too cheap kind because they won't write well. I had a batch that wrote poorly and was on my way to a show. I stopped off at a grocery store to buy some more pens and all they had was blue or black. Within 3 shows all of those pens were gone. I bought two 20 pack Bic pens. This time I bought Bic again (I love their pens) but in Red. I don't think I have a missing pen!!

If you're looking for something food related, our local library has a plastic spoon taped to the pen on its computer lab sign-in sheet. It's just bulky enough to keep the pen from walking out in someone's pocket.

lol. That is funny!

I have been thinking about ordering some that say "This pen was stolen from" and then put my contact info

Wow, some great ideas! I've always used red pens (for the same reasons listed above). Love the "take the cap off" idea :)

I have a friend who used to say, "The catalog is yours to keep but I'd really like the pen back....unless you've stuck it in your mouth, then it's my gift to you!" I've used that line a few times and it always gets a laugh...and my pens back :)

You've just got to be careful of red pens, as if they write their checks with them, banks do not like that and some even refuse to take them, as they do something when they do the imaging and it doesn't process well.

HTH,

Lisa

I have always red pens and normally have to replace them because the pen quites working. I have a host who sells Arborne and she asked me about my pens. She has started using red pens and will normally receive all her pens back. She was totally amazed.

Lisa/ChefBear said:
You've just got to be careful of red pens, as if they write their checks with them, banks do not like that and some even refuse to take them, as they do something when they do the imaging and it doesn't process well.

HTH,

Lisa

That is why I was told to use red pens. Most people will start to write their checks with my pen and then realize what they are doing and hand it back to me :) I fill in the totals on the order form with a black pen so I can offer that to them to use when they hand me the red pen back :)

I still lose some pens but not so many that it has been a big deal. I usually purchase a bunch at the beginning of the school year when they are on sale.

Love Laura's idea with the numbered pens and the batter bowl. I have tried the red pens, and they all disappear. Know I am buying blue one, but always buy the cheapest ones!!

The banks do not like cks written with red ink because there ck reader does not pick up the red ink to well. So the red ink cks have to be hand inputed. I have never had a red inked ck come back, and I have submitte LOTS!! So, if you need a ck to take a couple of more days to clear, you now know what to do....But you didn't hear it from me!! HE HE HE

yep the "red pen" works for me as well... and my personal pen is either green or purple and I use Papermate although my red pens this time I got from Merrill to se how they work and those are Bic. At my last show they all came back!

I use red pens for lap boards and have a black pen at check out for people to use. I get most back. and I've actually found that I loose them mostly myself in my office packing and unpacking!

I did get a pen from Get Cookin' that said "this pen was stolen from Get Cookin'" It made me laugh and make sure to grab one. If there were some good prices on printed red pens, that would be the way to go I think. Too bad Vistaprint doesn't do pens as well :)

mheat923 said:
yep the "red pen" works for me as well... and my personal pen is either green or purple and I use Papermate although my red pens this time I got from Merrill to se how they work and those are Bic. At my last show they all came back!
See?

Even our customers don't want anything from Merrill.

Oh that was bad (good...but bad)

I used to do the silk flower trick. It looks really cute, but I actually lost MORE pens, because people liked them so much!

Currently, I have been using cheapie OfficeMax pens (blue), and haven't had too much of a problem with them walking off. But in the past, I've purchased red or green Bic pens. They did tend to be returned. I've also used, on ocasion, the pen flags from The Booster, but they were very large and took up a lot of the pen. They've redesigned them to be narrower. What's nice about those flags is that you can have some with booking messages, some with recruiting messages, etc.

LOVE the "no cap" idea.

Related to Keep Pens from Disappearing with DIY Cooking-Inspired Wraps

1. How can I prevent my pens from disappearing at my Pampered Chef shows?

One popular solution is to use cooking-inspired wraps on your pens. This not only adds a fun and unique touch, but also makes it easier to keep track of your pens.

2. What materials can I use to make DIY cooking-inspired wraps for my pens?

Some inexpensive options for pen wraps include: washi tape with cooking-related designs, ribbon with cooking utensil charms, or mini silicone kitchen tools that can be attached to the pen using hot glue.

3. How do I make DIY cooking-inspired wraps for my pens?

To make your own pen wraps, cut or tear your chosen material into thin strips and wrap it tightly around the pen, securing the ends with a small dab of glue if needed. You can also use twine, yarn, or string to wrap around the pen and then attach small kitchen-themed charms or beads using jump rings.

4. Can I use florist tape to make cooking-inspired wraps for my pens?

Yes, you can definitely use florist tape to create pen wraps. Simply wrap the tape tightly around the pen, overlapping slightly to cover the entire surface. Then, use small kitchen-themed stickers or decals to decorate the tape.

5. Are there any other creative ways to keep track of my pens at Pampered Chef shows?

Aside from using cooking-inspired wraps, you can also try attaching a small magnet to the end of your pens and sticking them to a magnetic board or tray during your shows. This way, they will always be in sight and easily accessible for guests to use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • cwinter474
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
heat123
  • chefann