• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

KathrynWhat Will You Sacrifice in the Next 40 Days?

involved, LOL. :)I am going to try to spend time reading the Bible and praying everyday! I am going to try to spend time reading the Bible and praying everyday!
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
I am amazed at the number of Christians on this board, and I am so happy that we can ask one another for prayer, for support, and love from one another. (Sorry to get so sappy!) :D

On another thread, Grandmarita brought up the subject of Lent and making a decision to sacrifice or to change something in our lives over the next 40 days. She wanted a thread devoted to this subject, so here goes!

Let's use this thread to make a public statement of what we will be doing this Lent season. It can be something you give up, something you will do, or whatever God has laid on your heart. Making a PUBLIC DECLARATION to do something will help us to follow through!

God Bless,

I will post first:

There are two things that God has laid on my heart

1. I will NOT WATCH TV, except for the two shows that my hubby and I watch together: 24 and Lost. This is something that HE gets enjoyment out of. I waste entirely too much time getting sucked into that stupid "idot box" as my Grandma used to call it!

2. I will ONLY EAT WHEN I AM HUNGRY! I know for many of you, that sounds pretty lame. I eat when I am bored, scared, happy, worried, and on and on and on...... I am not treating my body like a temple when I shovel in food to make me "feel" better.

Just like every year, for Lent, I gave up chocolate-covered pickled watermellon rine.

Thanks for starting this Kelly!

This is my first Lenten experience - and I am excited at what God will teach me through this!

On the physical side - I will not be eating dessert. My family is a huge dessert family, but this is something I feel called to do - and not eating dessert when everyone else is will be an opportunity for me to remember what this season is about.
Also - I am practicing ENOUGH......what I mean by that is that I feel like I am never satisfied with what I have - even though God has truly blessed me w/ a wonderful husband, beautiful son, a home, a great church family....etc......it seems I always want more....so during this season, I am starting each day saying "I have enough!" And just thanking God for all of my blessings. I want to learn gratefulness.

I help plan worship and we are planning our Lenten worship to be focused on prayer.

So my challenge is to spend more time in PRAYER every day.

Given my recent challenges with my church, I've felt God calling me to pray more. So here I go!

Becky~

I like what you said about having ENOUGH! We live in a culture that says more, more, more. I am sure that you will be blessed by having an attitude of contentment!

Thank you for this thread! I have been trying to decide what to do this season. I can't really make diet changes due to pregnancy...

I am going to try to spend time reading the Bible and praying everyday!

Attitude of Gratitude - I need to focus on this more. No looking down on things.

Goodness, my little "give up" sounds so wimpy. I am giving up pop (soda) for Lent. I know he won't notice, but I keep hoping that my actions will help my DH see how much soda he consumes and that he needs to cut back, too.

I better sell my Faygo stock. ;)

Gee- I was thinking of sending you some Faygo as a giftie for your upcoming situation. (re: the private email you sent me and I rudely haven't had time to answer)

Ohhh, private emails? I think there may be more stock going on than Faygo!! ;)

It's nothing like that, Jennifer! KG and I just have WAY more in common than any two non-married people should! We're both in car clubs, work FT outside PC, etc. etc. And he lives near-ish my sister. (Actually, he lives in the town where my sister's first fiancee lived and where their wedding was going to be, until it was called off.) It's kind of freaky!

OK, I'll be the first to give in and give up sex.

Woops, I gave that up years before my marriage ended!!

jenwallace said:
Thank you for this thread! I have been trying to decide what to do this season. I can't really make diet changes due to pregnancy...

I am going to try to spend time reading the Bible and praying everyday!

How about giving up the anethesia or epidural?

Paige Dixon said:

Ahhhhh!!! LOL! Me too! Seeing how now I'm not married, or dating anyone, this will be a good one!

Thanks for this thread... I'm gonna pray about this... I hope He doesn't ask me to curtail my reading of CS... I'm not sure I could handle that... and Ann .. .HE will see you not drinking that pop and that is NOT a little thing to give up... I get cravings for "fizzy" drinks and they are tough to do without so that is very much a sacrifice!

This is not b/c of Lent but God has convicted me to start reading my Bible other than Sunday and Wednesday when I am at church and have a quiet time. This comes from conviction during a sermon a few Sundays ago.

I have started getting up 15 minutes earlier in the morning when my husband has gone to work and my son is asleep and reading and praying. It is such a peaceful time with no interruptions and the tv off.

My preacher gave out a hand-out on reading Psalms and Proverbs each day based on the date of the month. It has been really good. (let me know if anyone want to know how it works.)

I know 15 minutes does not sound like a lot but the people that know how much I value sleep know this is a big sacrifice for me.

This is my 2nd week into it and I am enjoying it so much. This weekend I remembered at 11 at night I had forgot to read that morning since my week-day routine is changed over the weekend and got out of bed and went and read and prayed.

chefann said:
It's nothing like that, Jennifer! KG and I just have WAY more in common than any two non-married people should! We're both in car clubs, work FT outside PC, etc. etc. And he lives near-ish my sister. (Actually, he lives in the town where my sister's first fiancee lived and where their wedding was going to be, until it was called off.) It's kind of freaky!
[hijack]
As long as it isn't me that's freaky.

I think we went to different high schools together.
[/hijack]

chefann said:
Goodness, my little "give up" sounds so wimpy. I am giving up pop (soda) for Lent. I know he won't notice, but I keep hoping that my actions will help my DH see how much soda he consumes and that he needs to cut back, too.

How big or small a sacrifice it depends on how much the person values what they are giving up. God will see whar you are giving up and He will see the sacrifice you are making.

chefann said:
Gee- I was thinking of sending you some Faygo as a giftie for your upcoming situation. (re: the private email you sent me and I rudely haven't had time to answer)
[hijack]
If you send me Faygo, I'll retalliate in kind with Leon's Frozen Custard...
10551_1.jpg

...if you haven't given it up for forty days.

[/hijack]

chef_kimmo said:
Attitude of Gratitude - I need to focus on this more. No looking down on things.

I love this and I think I may just have to try it as well!!

Paige Dixon said:

Bahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!:eek:

Paige Dixon said:

You are joking, right??

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
[hijack]
If you send me Faygo, I'll retalliate in kind with Leon's Frozen Custard...
10551_1.jpg

...if you haven't given it up for forty days.

[/hijack]

<Sigh> Leon's...that was our treat in HS when we had a softball game in Milwaukee...27th street if I remember right?

Ok, off to write my serious note for this thread...

For me it's not so much what I need to stop doing, but rather what I need to start doing. I need to start spending time each day reading my Bible and just communing with God and getting to know Him better. My relationship with Him is just now beginning to grow, even though the seeds were planted 30+ years ago.

I am so blessed to have found this website and Pampered Chef where I have found so many other Christians.

I've never given up anything for Lent - was raised Baptist instead of Catholic. Also, I made a New Year's Resolution a few years back to never make New Year's Resolutions again - I've kept that one for many years now! :) LOL!

However, I'll share what I've been trying to do and partially why I just started PC.

We are "missionaries" to a Christian Camp in northern WI...support has always been very hard to raise and we never get past a certain percentage but feel we are exactly where God wants us. I also feel God has given me certain education, skills and abilities to allow me to work...so, I work full-time to pay the bills and keep my hubby at camp serving. Anyway, we've had some pretty heavy medical bills the last few years and some major house repairs that had to go on credit because we couldn't live without the item (like a furnace and a well pump). I REALLY want to pay them off so PC will hopefully assist me in doing that if I can get going... Anyway, my secondary goal of PC which relates to this thread is not what I'm giving up but what I'm giving. When our finances seemed tough this last fall, I felt convicted to give even more back (not the standard 10% but 10% of gross and then beyond to church, etc.). As soon as I started doing this, the blessings came. My goal is to continue that and also to be able to use my PC money to help "anonymously" fellow missionaries. Often, missionaries are too tired of asking or too humble to keep asking others to meet their needs... Example: Recently a fellow missionary's grandfather died in FL and they don't have $ to travel and she didn't get to go to her grandmother's funeral a few years back and really wanted to go to this one. I know they didn't have extra cash and wouldn't ask, but still gave them something to help so she could go. This case she knew who it came from, but I prefer to do it without someone knowing and hear about it later. I am giving sacrifically, but would like to give even more if I can. Sometimes it takes giving up "me" things to give...which is where I guess it ties to Lent.

Ok, sorry for the long story...anxious to hear of others... :)

Way to go everyone!

For a daily Bible reading plan I've found that www.oneyearbibleonline.com has helped to stay on track [it tells you what to read every day] and it gets you through the Bible in one year!

TwinGirlsMom said:
Way to go everyone!

For a daily Bible reading plan I've found that www.oneyearbibleonline.com has helped to stay on track [it tells you what to read every day] and it gets you through the Bible in one year!

...and if you're ever somewhere without your Bible but can get online...
www.biblegateway.com is my favorite site!

I love Bible Gateway!

What is FAYGO???

I grew up in a really staunch Catholic family where the idea of lent was planned on and started on day 41. It was enstilled...let me rephrase this...DEMANDED of us to give up one thing of "pleasure", something that brought you joy, because anything that could make you that happy, was worth giving up for lent, because you were going to hell for it anyways. So around this time is when I learned all about becoming a "horder" of my prized possesions. As a teenager the idea of "sining" during lent was a thrill ride...and a death wish in my family. At 18 I literally told my family's preist to screw off and walked out of the church to never return (and never have). I have now found what I call (and this is my own opinion) my real God and faith in the non-denominational Christian faith. Where we follow the bible (front to back, and I know thats a shocker for the RC's out there as reading the WHOLE bible is a no no) and live on GOD's word, not the word of what some high preist in the Old Church decided was ok to read in the missinal.

My family (my Dad I should say) still is a Catholic and I respect that and always will, and respect anyone for that matter in what they choose to believe in. I, do not believe that God said anywhere in the bible for us to "give up something" for lent. He has ALWAYS asked us to give up the curse and live in the blessing, and live to our full potential, as we are granted ALL HIS BLESSINGS and this is throughout our lives, not just for 40 days.

thechefofnorthbend said:
I grew up in a really staunch Catholic family where the idea of lent was planned on and started on day 41. It was enstilled...let me rephrase this...DEMANDED of us to give up one thing of "pleasure", something that brought you joy, because anything that could make you that happy, was worth giving up for lent, because you were going to hell for it anyways. So around this time is when I learned all about becoming a "horder" of my prized possesions. As a teenager the idea of "sining" during lent was a thrill ride...and a death wish in my family. At 18 I literally told my family's preist to screw off and walked out of the church to never return (and never have). I have now found what I call (and this is my own opinion) my real God and faith in the non-denominational Christian faith. Where we follow the bible (front to back, and I know thats a shocker for the RC's out there as reading the WHOLE bible is a no no) and live on GOD's word, not the word of what some high preist in the Old Church decided was ok to read in the missinal.

My family (my Dad I should say) still is a Catholic and I respect that and always will, and respect anyone for that matter in what they choose to believe in. I, do not believe that God said anywhere in the bible for us to "give up something" for lent. He has ALWAYS asked us to give up the curse and live in the blessing, and live to our full potential, as we are granted ALL HIS BLESSINGS and this is throughout our lives, not just for 40 days.
I have to say that I have been struggling with my faith. I was also brought up Roman Catholic. Many weekends at Mass I would sit and count the hats that people were wearing or count the bricks on the walls. It is hard for me to understand why you aren't supposed to read the whole bible. I actually have never heard that. I have a friend(one of my recruits)that is Seventh Day and I thought they were nuts! Anyway after getting to know her a lot of what she tells me makes a whole lot of sense. They too follow the bible and that is how they live their life. I have also gone to church with my cousin who converted from Catholicism to Episcapalien (sp?) I enjoyed that too. I think I just take bits and pieces from all religions and believe in the things I feel to be accurate. Call me crazy. That is how I feel. As long as I have a close relationship with Christ then I feel like that is good enough! I don't need a priest to talk to god.

Paige Dixon said:
Well, my first child was born at a whopping 12 pounds, 6 ounces by c-section! (not kidding) This one is following the same growth patterns, so I will really appreciate the anethesia that comes with surgery. Thanks though! :eek:

I think it is about a relationship with Christ not what religion you are. I go to a methodist church but I don't really consider myself any certain religion. I just work on my relationship with Christ. Onto lent, I give up something to remind me of the easter season and what Christ gave up for me. So, in that case I am going back on the diet that the doctor wants me on (only having 45g. of carbs at each meal and less than 5 g. of fat per serving). I also am reading more of my bible and spending more time with God.

jenwallace said:
Well, my first child was born at a whopping 12 pounds, 6 ounces by c-section! (not kidding) This one is following the same growth patterns, so I will really appreciate the anethesia that comes with surgery. Thanks though! :eek:

Holy moly!!!
That's almost twice the size of my first son who was 6lb 12 oz!!

Wow!
jenwallace said:

Wow!! :eek: What a big lil' bundle! My oldest was 8 lbs 15 oz and my youngest was 10 pounds & 7 oz (both vaginal ) #2 dam near killed me! LOL (hemmorhage, etc...) 12 lbs 6 oz! Wow!! Thank God for c-sections huh???

Here are several other Bible reading plans...I'm doing the book-at-a time plan to finish the Bible in a year. I'm a little behind, but plan to do some catch-up tonight...gotta get off CS!!

http://www.navpress.com/Magazines/DJ/BibleReadingPlans.asp

cat said:
Here are several other Bible reading plans...I'm doing the book-at-a time plan to finish the Bible in a year. I'm a little behind, but plan to do some catch-up tonight...gotta get off CS!!

http://www.navpress.com/Magazines/DJ/BibleReadingPlans.asp

Don't feel bad...I was doing great at the beginning of the kids school year memorizing verses with them and now I'm slacking! :(

I have a 5 year old in my Sparks group at AWANA that is already through her book, book review, workbook and last night quoted Phillippians 2:1-27 to me with only about 4 words of help. She has only 3 verses left of the chapter!
She puts me to shame!

Thanks, Kelly, for getting this thread started after reading my request. It is so powerful to hear from all of you. My faith journey has been Catholic from birth, but let me tell you, it intensified in April, 1978, during a period in our Church when the Holy Spirit was very active in a movement known as Charismatic Renewal. Prayers Groups sprung up all over the USA, and I was invited to one by a friend. On April 2, 1978, I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour and began reading the Bible morning, noon and night. I just could not get enough of His word. I had that marvelous, "Wake the Town and tell the people" experience. Several years later, I met my husband in a Prayer Group, and we were married in 1982. This June will be our 25th. I am so blessed to have him sharing my faith journey with me. He is Director of our Folk Group, and attends a Faith Sharing group, as well as several Masses during the week. We believe in tithing and have been blessed by that commitment. We have seen prayers for healing answered and miracles in one of my adult children's family. His two children have now been baptized, and the whole family is attending Church, and active in their parish.

We are involved in Ministries in our Church, including Music, Funeral Hospitality, and in the past, I have been a Home Visitor, and Hospice volunteer, and we both were involved in Jail Ministry with a Death Row prisoner until his execution. I corresponded with him for 16 years, and we
traveled to visit him before his death, as well as five years before it took place. I was touched in 1976 by a question put before us: "Ask not what your Church can do for you, but what you can do for your Church?" It opened the doors for me to minister to others who were going through similar life experiences, as I had lived through, with the grave of God and those I met in Church. I became active at that time in Ministry to Divorced, Separated and Widowed Catholics. That Ministry is still strong in our Church. We care deeply about folks who lose their spouses, and their children who lose a Mom or Dad.

The Church is not just a building but the Body of Christ which we all are. May we all be a source of His Love during our sharing, and thanks for the comment that what we are really talking about is our relationship with Jesus Christ, and how we can grow and witness to one another.

I gave up soda not only for lent but for myself. I'm going on 2 weeks now and doing great!!! (I started a little early!);)

When my taste buds got screwed up by radiation and chemo years ago, I couldn't drink anything with citric acid in it - which is all sodas and most other commercially available drinks. (Read the label sometime - Snapple, Gatorade...all of them have citric acid.) I craved a Coke but just a touch of it on my tongue was like an electirc poker. I also had to stop eating fast food in general and I don't really miss french fries. (A topic on their own!)It's just within the last six months or so that my saliva has started to come back a little and I started to tolerate citric acid in small doses. (I still can't eat pickles and I miss Kosher dills!)But you know what? I don't really miss soda, but at least I can be sociable now and drink one when someone else buys.(But I really, really miss Bombay Martinis!)

Grandmarita said:
Thanks, Kelly, for getting this thread started after reading my request. It is so powerful to hear from all of you. My faith journey has been Catholic from birth, but let me tell you, it intensified in April, 1978, during a period in our Church when the Holy Spirit was very active in a movement known as Charismatic Renewal. Prayers Groups sprung up all over the USA, and I was invited to one by a friend. On April 2, 1978, I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour and began reading the Bible morning, noon and night. I just could not get enough of His word. I had that marvelous, "Wake the Town and tell the people" experience. Several years later, I met my husband in a Prayer Group, and we were married in 1982. This June will be our 25th. I am so blessed to have him sharing my faith journey with me. He is Director of our Folk Group, and attends a Faith Sharing group, as well as several Masses during the week. We believe in tithing and have been blessed by that commitment. We have seen prayers for healing answered and miracles in one of my adult children's family. His two children have now been baptized, and the whole family is attending Church, and active in their parish.

We are involved in Ministries in our Church, including Music, Funeral Hospitality, and in the past, I have been a Home Visitor, and Hospice volunteer, and we both were involved in Jail Ministry with a Death Row prisoner until his execution. I corresponded with him for 16 years, and we
traveled to visit him before his death, as well as five years before it took place. I was touched in 1976 by a question put before us: "Ask not what your Church can do for you, but what you can do for your Church?" It opened the doors for me to minister to others who were going through similar life experiences, as I had lived through, with the grave of God and those I met in Church. I became active at that time in Ministry to Divorced, Separated and Widowed Catholics. That Ministry is still strong in our Church. We care deeply about folks who lose their spouses, and their children who lose a Mom or Dad.

The Church is not just a building but the Body of Christ which we all are. May we all be a source of His Love during our sharing, and thanks for the comment that what we are really talking about is our relationship with Jesus Christ, and how we can grow and witness to one another.

Grandmarita,
Your beautiful testimony brough tears to my eyes - and reminded me again of how faith in Christ makes us family - what an incredible example you are of how a real relationship with Jesus changes not only your life, but the lives of those around you....Thanks so much for sharing, and for being the catalyst for this thread!

I don't know anything about giving up something for Lent.

I was raised Baptist and my husband was raised Pentecostal Free Holiness....as far as the east to the west from each other, LOL. Once we married we didn't go to church because I thought his church was nuts and he thought mine was boring. We have been married 21 years...as of last week. Almost 8 years ago we began to talk about church and ended up at the Assembly of God church down the road. We have been there ever since. We have an awesome pastor who has been there for 24 years. The church is growing like crazy. The things that have stayed with me since we began going there is...There will be people from every religion in Heaven and there will be people from every church building/religion in Hell. Not everyone who goes to church and claims to be a Christian is really a Christian. We must all seek out our own salvation with fear and trembling...and not worry about what everyone else is doing. We need to go to church every time there is a service...very few exceptions, sick, vacation, ministering...However, we don't just go to church to get a blessing. We go to church to learn, fellowship with others, and more importantly, to be a blessing to someone else. And the most important thing that sticks in my mind is that we need a relationship with Christ. And, we get that relationship the same way we get a relationship with anyone...by spending time with him. That means daily talking and listening to him. He says to get back to our "first love". I don't know anyone who wouldn't say "oh yeah, I know Jesus...or God", but how many really "know" him?

I won't be giving anything up for Lent. I try to live my life daily as a sacrifice...giving to others, helping others, being a witness, ministering wherever it is needed. I had 2 people ask me today to pray for them. I thought that was so awesome that 2 people I am not close to, but they see me several times a week in my business or in town, would feel comfortable asking me to pray for their needs. It is truly a humbling experience.

I really enjoy threads like this one. I like to listen to other Christians talk about how God has blessed them. I try really hard not to judge people...even if I believe they are doing wrong...because that is God's job. I hope that I never offend anyone with my opinions/beliefs. I wish you all many blessings during your time of Lent.

jenwallace said:

Oh, come on....You can do it, you can do it! Mama Power!!

What a beautiful thread. Grandmarita and Shawna, both of your testimonies brought tears to my eyes. The glory of our Father is so awesome! Sometimes I feel like I cannot thank Him enough! Cannot praise Him enough! He is so good!

My background is really all over the place. I was christened in the Episcopal church. Then, after ending up with my grandparents, attended Nazarene church for years. I definitely disagreed with many of thier beliefs (seems we were going to hell for everything!) but many years later realized what an awesome foundation I had gotten there. Then, when I was 15 and living with my mother again, I was confirmed in the Episcopal church. When I joined the AF, we had to indicate our religious denomination and I simply chose "Christian, non-denominational." That was almost a prediction. I went to church off and on over the years. I gave myself to the Lord at about age 9, but when my first marriage was falling apart, I rededicated myself to God, but then grew weak again. When my current husband and I were dating, we joined our current church, which is a non-denominational Christian church. And WOW! The things I have learned are amazing! We are encouraged to Remember Christ and Remember to Pray. We are encouraged to have an "alter" in our home. Nothing fancy, not necessarily even something obvious, but a place where we meet with our God on a daily basis at a designated time (in addition to any other time we feel the need or calling), as a demonstration of our commitment. We are taught not to "learn" God's word in the Bible alone, but to develop a relationship with the living God! He is our Father and His love for us is a father's love!

One thing I ALWAYS remember is what our Pastor says when discussing those who call themselves Christians but are not living the Christian life....They are the unbelieving believers. They feel they can pick and choose which part of God's word to follow. For many years, that was me. Now, I feel like a fool for how I justified things to myself. But God gets the glory in opening my eyes!

OK, enough! I could go on and on. I, too, am totally inspired by how many Christians are part of PC and are on this site! It is so AWESOME!

Kelly,Thank you for starting this thread. My Lenten sacrifice includes receiving communion daily (our priest is out sick, so we only have a communion service on weekdays right now, Mass on Sunday, of course!), participating in a daily scripture study with a group of friends across the country--we set up an internet BB (closed) where we each post our insights based on the scriptural selections from the Mass of the day, daily time spent in prayer in front of the tabernacle, an evening rosary with my husband, and no television in the evenings.Of course, the basic rules of fasting are followed, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. As I don't ever eat meat on Friday that really doesn't count as part of my Lenten observance.Thanks for starting this thread!Ann

Last edited:
thechefofnorthbend said:
I grew up in a really staunch Catholic family where the idea of lent was planned on and started on day 41. It was enstilled...let me rephrase this...DEMANDED of us to give up one thing of "pleasure", something that brought you joy, because anything that could make you that happy, was worth giving up for lent, because you were going to hell for it anyways. So around this time is when I learned all about becoming a "horder" of my prized possesions. As a teenager the idea of "sining" during lent was a thrill ride...and a death wish in my family. At 18 I literally told my family's preist to screw off and walked out of the church to never return (and never have). I have now found what I call (and this is my own opinion) my real God and faith in the non-denominational Christian faith. Where we follow the bible (front to back, and I know thats a shocker for the RC's out there as reading the WHOLE bible is a no no) and live on GOD's word, not the word of what some high preist in the Old Church decided was ok to read in the missinal.My family (my Dad I should say) still is a Catholic and I respect that and always will, and respect anyone for that matter in what they choose to believe in. I, do not believe that God said anywhere in the bible for us to "give up something" for lent. He has ALWAYS asked us to give up the curse and live in the blessing, and live to our full potential, as we are granted ALL HIS BLESSINGS and this is throughout our lives, not just for 40 days.
Wow, Darcy. I'm sorry you feel that way about the Catholic church. I do want to address 3 points, not to attack you or discredit your personal feelings, but to defend my faith against an incorrect representation.First--Catholics do study the entire Bible. They always have. The Sunday readings in the missal are only a small portion of scripture, as you know, which were chosen to follow the liturgical seasons of the year (Advent, Christmas, Ordinary Time, Lent, and Easter). Both in the old Tridentine Rite and the current Novus Ordo rite, if one attends Mass daily, one will hear the entire Bible preached over a course of time (the length of time varies depending on which rite one is discussing). AT NO TIME has the Church taught that Catholics shouldn't study scripture--the truth is that the Church has long warned against "personal interpretation" of scripture. Meaning: your "personal intrepretation" of any scriptural passage should be considered in light of what has been taught and revealed over many centuries. This is not a concept unique to the Catholic Church. Second--the concept of "giving up something for Lent" is based on the scriptural call for sacrifice. One excellent example of the Lord asking that we give up something that gives us pleasure is the story of Abraham and Issac. Third: The Catholic church has never taught that all the things which give us pleasure in this life will doom us to hell. That is an absolute untruth. In closing, let me again say that I do not intend this as a personal attack on you, or the faith path that you have chosen, instead it is my defense of my faith against what I consider to be an uncharitable and incorrect representation.Ann Bergeron

Last edited:
My sister recently summed up the Christian faith like this to me, and by the way, this is also her goal for this year and mine as well:

*Pursue Jesus Christ
*Build Relationships with People

The more I thought about it I remembered that Jesus Himself gave us the above in --what He called-- the 2 greatest commandments: Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength; Love your neighbor as yourself.

Simplifies things, doesn't it?

<h2>1. What is Lent?</h2><p>Lent is a season of the Christian church year leading up to Easter. It is a time of reflection, repentance, and preparation for the celebration of Jesus' death and resurrection.</p><h2>2. Why do Christians observe Lent?</h2><p>Christians observe Lent as a way to imitate Jesus' 40 days of fasting and temptation in the desert. It is also seen as a time to deepen one's relationship with God through prayer, fasting, and acts of service.</p><h2>3. What are some common sacrifices or practices during Lent?</h2><p>Some common sacrifices during Lent include giving up certain foods, such as meat or sweets, or activities like watching TV or using social media. Other practices may include reading the Bible daily, attending extra church services, or volunteering in the community.</p><h2>4. Can I choose my own sacrifice or practice for Lent?</h2><p>Yes, you can choose your own sacrifice or practice for Lent. The important thing is to choose something that will help you grow closer to God and deepen your faith.</p><h2>5. Is it necessary to publicly declare my Lenten sacrifice or practice?</h2><p>No, it is not necessary to publicly declare your Lenten sacrifice or practice. However, making a public declaration can help hold you accountable and provide support from others who may also be observing Lent.</p>

Related to KathrynWhat Will You Sacrifice in the Next 40 Days?

1. What is Lent?

Lent is a season of the Christian church year leading up to Easter. It is a time of reflection, repentance, and preparation for the celebration of Jesus' death and resurrection.

2. Why do Christians observe Lent?

Christians observe Lent as a way to imitate Jesus' 40 days of fasting and temptation in the desert. It is also seen as a time to deepen one's relationship with God through prayer, fasting, and acts of service.

3. What are some common sacrifices or practices during Lent?

Some common sacrifices during Lent include giving up certain foods, such as meat or sweets, or activities like watching TV or using social media. Other practices may include reading the Bible daily, attending extra church services, or volunteering in the community.

4. Can I choose my own sacrifice or practice for Lent?

Yes, you can choose your own sacrifice or practice for Lent. The important thing is to choose something that will help you grow closer to God and deepen your faith.

5. Is it necessary to publicly declare my Lenten sacrifice or practice?

No, it is not necessary to publicly declare your Lenten sacrifice or practice. However, making a public declaration can help hold you accountable and provide support from others who may also be observing Lent.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
susanr613
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies