• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

JoLynn's Search for the Perfect Potato Salad Recipe

3. When potatoes are done, cool for 5 minutes. Peel; cut into bite-sized chunks. Add potatoes, sour cream mixture, bacon, onion, celery, salt, and black pepper to remade Colander Bowl. Mix well.4. Spoon into Warm Serving Bowl and top with thin sliced green onions and shredded cheddar cheese, if desired. Serve.This recipe calls for baking potatoes instead of boiling them. I would recommend either boiling or baking your potatoes. Boil or bake them until they are tender. Once they are done, you can cool them for 5 minutes so you can easily peel and chop them. Next, you will add the sour cream mixture, bacon, onion,
jbarnhill
Silver Member
Does anyone have a good recipe for potato salad. I am supposed to bring potato salad to a picnic on the 4th and have never made the stuff before.

Thanks for your help.
JoLynn

Here's what I do.Go to the deli counter at Kroger, tell the nice lady behind the counter that you want 2 pounds of potato salad. :D :) :D

I was going to suggest the same thing as Ann. I've never made potato salad and don't ever intend to make it, either. I really like Meijer and D&W potato salad.

chefann said:
Here's what I do.

Go to the deli counter at Kroger, tell the nice lady behind the counter that you want 2 pounds of potato salad.

:D :) :D

Bad Ann Bad!!

I was at a picnic the other day and had the best potato salad. The lady put cubes of cheddar cheese and pickles in it. I wish I had the recipe for you sorry I don't!:eek:

Peel potatos and cube cook until tender. Boil eggs and chop when cool. Mix eggs and potatos with mayo, green onion, salt and pepper to taste. Some people put a tablespoon of mustard in there mixture. I always put celery in. HTH

Last edited:
chefann said:
Here's what I do.

Go to the deli counter at Kroger, tell the nice lady behind the counter that you want 2 pounds of potato salad.

:D :) :D
Mrs. Kroger is big in your area but here, Mrs. Roundy makes the best potato salad since my mother died.

Okay - I was going to post my absolutely the best Potato Salad recipe - but it's a little complicated - the dressing for it is a cooked dressing, not just mayo.....but it is incredible. BUT NOW - I don't think it would be appreciated on this thread!:D :rolleyes:

Just post it. JoLynn needs you!

Potato Salad

5 pounds red potatoes boil in skin
1 jar dill pickle relish
6 eggs boiled and diced
1 large onion chopped fine
hellmanns mayo
mortons nature's seasoning (Found in spice aisle.... do not know of a substitute)
Remove skin after cooled mash slightly, add rest of ingredients
chill at least 6 hours

Here is my Favorite potato salad very easy to do. (Family of 4)
Potaotes 5
eggs 3
Mayo till creamy to your liking
and 1 ranch packet
If I make more like for a bbq or whatever I just add rnch packets till I like the taste of it. And if I feel like it or have them at home I will add pickels. It is so yummy

When I cook the potatoes I peel them and cut them into cubes

If you would like to email it to me I am fine with that.:p

I thought about going to the deli and then bringing it home and putting it in a pc bowl of some sort and may use that as a last resort.

jbarnhill said:
If you would like to email it to me I am fine with that.:p

I thought about going to the deli and then bringing it home and putting it in a pc bowl of some sort and may use that as a last resort.
That is sooo what I would do...

I was joking about going to the deli counter - although I do usually do that most of the time. :)This is a PC recipe:
Old-Fashioned Potato Salad1 1/2 pounds unpeeled red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 celery stalk, diced
6 radishes, thinly sliced
1/2 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
Salt and ground black pepper to taste1. Fill Generation II Casserole (4-qt.) with water and bring to a boil. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes with Utility Knife. Add to boiling water; cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, mustard and vinegar in Classic Batter Bowl. Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
3. Drain and rinse potatoes under cold water. Add to ingredients in batter bowl; mix gently. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. Spoon salad into chilled Chillzanne® Bowl and serve.
Yield: 4-6 servingsNutrients per serving: Calories: 366, Total Fat 22 g So's this one:"The Works" Baked Potato Salad6 medium baking potatoes (about 2 pounds)
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
8 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Thinly sliced green onions with tops (optional)
Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Scrub potatoes thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. Spray potatoes with vegetable oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Prick potatoes with Hold 'N Slice™. Bake 50-60 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, combine sour cream and mayonnaise in small Colander Bowl. Chop bacon, red onion and celery using Food Chopper; add to sour cream mixture. Stir in salt and black pepper; cover with Small Lid. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Remove potatoes from oven; cool completely. Coarsely chop potatoes into 1/2-inch pieces. Place in large Colander Bowl; fold in sour cream mixture. Cover with large Lid. Refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight. Garnish with sliced green onions and cheddar cheese, if desired.
Yield: 12 servingsNutrients per serving: Calories 310, Total Fat 21 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 35 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g, Protein 8 g, Sodium 580 mg, Fiber 2 g

okay - here it is - like I said, it takes a little time - but it is soooo worth it!(and I got this recipe from Taste of Home magazine several years ago)Patio Potato SaladDressing
1/3 C. sugar
1 Tbl. cornstarch
1 teas. ground mustard
1 teas. salt
1/2 C. milk
1/4 C. vinegar
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 C. butter, cubedIn a saucepan, combine sugar cornstarch, mustard and salt. Stir in milk, vinegar, and beaten egg until smooth. Add butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or til thick and bubbly. Cool.Salad
1/4 C. finely chopped onion
1/4 C. finely chopped celery
1/4 C. Mayonnaise (NOT miracle whip!!!)
7 medium red potatoes, cooked and cubed
4 hard boiled eggs, choppedStir onion, celery, and mayo into cooled dressing. In a large bowl, combine potatoes & eggs. (I leave one egg to decorate the top - slice it w/ the egg slicer and fan it out over the top of the bowl)
Add dressing to potatoes and eggs, and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.Yield - 10-12 servings

Last edited:
chefann said:
I was joking about going to the deli counter - although I do usually do that most of the time. :)
Oh, sure, get the rest of us in trouble.

Yo mama...oh, never mind.

My Potato Salad Recipe6-12 Potato's (rusic or red)
Mayo-creamy to your liking
Mustard-
6- midget sweet pickles
sweet pickle juice-to your liking ( I don't' measure it but it is about 3 tbs)
vingar - two cap fulls
6 eggs
1/2 onion finely chopped
chill about 6 hours before eating

make sure you put salt in the water makes a huge difference
and gotta be mayo the real stuff lol

Ok, my potato salad is pretty simple....

Potatoes.. boil them until tender, leave the skins on and cut into bit size pieces. Can be red skinned, Idaho, whatever you want.

Celery and onion, diced, however much you like
Mayo, a bit of yellow mustard, salt and pepper.

Hard boiled eggs, on top. Paprika on top for color.

I love potato salad, esp when it's freshly made and still a bit warm.

And for the mayo... has to be Hellmans! You can use the light, but NOT the fat free. I have some standards.

I have standards, too. That's why I go to the deli, because I can't reach my standards.

The Best I've Ever Made or TastedSour-Cream Potato Salad

1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
7 medium potatoes, cooked in jackets, peeled, sliced (6 cups)
3/4 cups sliced celery
1/3 cup sliced green onion
4 hard-cooked eggs
1 cup mayo or salad dressing (I use mayo)
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1-1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish mustard

Pour Italian dressing over warm potatoes; chill 2 hours. Add celery and onion. Chop egg whites; add. Sieve yolks; mix with mayo, sour cream, and mustard; fold into salad. Chill 2 hours. Makes 8 servings.

Anyone have the dill potato salad recipe from the old super salads recipe cards? As always, when I need it I can't find it :(

Found it. never mind :)

Last edited by a moderator:
MomToEli said:
Sour-Cream Potato Salad

1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
7 medium potatoes, cooked in jackets, peeled, sliced (6 cups)
3/4 cups sliced celery
1/3 cup sliced green onion
4 hard-cooked eggs
1 cup mayo or salad dressing (I use mayo)
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1-1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish mustard

Pour Italian dressing over warm potatoes; chill 2 hours. Add celery and onion. Chop egg whites; add. Sieve yolks; mix with mayo, sour cream, and mustard; fold into salad. Chill 2 hours. Makes 8 servings.

MMMM that sounds good! I might have to try this one! :)

How about German Potato Salad?Anyone have a really good recipe for German Potato Salad? I LOVE it, but I've only bought it from the supermarket. Actually, I looked for it today at the deli and they didn't have any!!

I do have one recipe for it, but it's not that good...

Anyone??

I just boil my potatos. Add mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, pickle relish.I LOVE potato salad, especially when it is still warm.

I had a potato salad recently that I have been trying to get the recipe for. It had ranch dressing mix in it and was made with red potatos. Did no have a bunch of other stuff - just looked simple. I need to try to recreate it.

Last edited:
PamperChefCarol said:
And for the mayo... has to be Hellmans! You can use the light, but NOT the fat free. I have some standards.

Ditto Ditto Ditto.....there is nothing worse then yucking cheapy salad dressing stuff in your salad. Only Hellmans in my kitchen!!;)

Is it still called Best on the West Coast? Maybe it was Best Foods. I can hear the song in my head ...

I'm a die hard Hellman's fan, too. If dh has to make a mayo run I have to be very specific ... his mom was sold on generics .... (yuk!)

I made our potato salad today ... it is so good!

Ok, I know I said I make it pretty simple, but felt creative yesterday and made this...

4 lbs red and yukon gold potatoes
1 c Hellmans Light Mayo
1/4 c buttermilk lowfat
2 T dijon mustard
2 T whole grain mustard
1/2 c fresh dill (I didn't have fresh, so I just used bunch of our dill mix)
black pepper
3/4 c diced celery
3/4 c diced red onion

If using small pototoes half them,if they are larger cut into quarters. Boil for 10-15 min until they are fork tender, but not too soft. Drain and let cool

Blend mayo, buttermilk, mustards, dill and pepper.

Add celery and onion to potatoes, pour dressing over top. Combine and chill.

This was awesome, and let me use some of the buttermilk I had leftover from this Pecan encrusted chicken that I made a few days ago.

This is what I made yesterday. It's from Allrecipes.

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds clean, scrubbed new red potatoes
6 eggs
1 pound bacon
1 onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 cups mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and set in the refrigerator to cool.
2. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
3. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
4. Chop the cooled potatoes, leaving skin on. Add to a large bowl, along with the eggs, bacon, onion and celery. Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste. Chill for an hour before serving.

These are my tweaks:
I reserved a couple tsps of bacon grease and sauteed the onion (I used red onion) in it, and cooled that mixture and mixed it all into the mayo.
I added a couple tsps of French's yellow mustard
I added a few shakes of Dill mix.

My friend said it tasted "buttery" and I attributed that to the bacon grease/caramelized onion.

Whenever I made Deviled eggs, I have some of the filling left over. There are often eggs that don't peal well and cannot be used for the Deviled eggs. You all know what I mean, right? So, I save the left over filling, and have at least the equivilent of three eggs boiled to put into my Potato salad. I scrub my red potatoes, and cut into 1" cubes with the skins on. Boil until tender (about ten minutes) with a few shakes of salt in the water. Drain, and put in one of our Stainless bowls.

Add the leftover Deviled Egg filling, and 3 boiled eggs using Egg Slicer Plus to dice them. I then add one onion chopped with our Food Chopper; 2 stalks of Celery chopped with our Food Chopper; and quite often 1 cup of our Dill Dip Mix which I make with 1 cup Hellman's and 1 cup sour cream and two tsp. Dill Mix. It does not overpower the total flavor, but adds a nice subtle flavor. I have also been known to add a squirt of R.T.French's original mustard to give it color.

I think of this as a "Recycling Recipe" because it uses up the filling rather than me consuming it myself which is a big temptation. When I make the Deviled eggs, I frequently use our Dill Dip mix rather than all Mayo mixed with the yolks. I do some with our Southwest Seasoning mix too, and the guys love them! Again, I use 1 cup each of mayo and sour cream to 2 tsp. SW seasonings. I add a Mix and Scrapper full to the yolks, and balloon whisk them until they are the right consistency for our Easy Accent Decorator. I demo'd this at a Festival we attended last week,
and then invited my one guest over for dinner. She placed a $62 order. Not bad for a Potato
Salad demo which I was going to make anyway.

Happy Holiday WEEK. I love these picnic foods! They are even better the next day when the flavors have soaked in.

Last edited:
Which recipe did you pick? How did it turn out?

Am I the only person that peels my potatoes for potato salad? I use regular baking potatoes and peel them. This is when my Vidalia Chop Wizard comes in! Perfect cubes and no cutting...uh...except for my injuries from the chop wizard, of course!!

gilliandanielle said:
Am I the only person that peels my potatoes for potato salad? I use regular baking potatoes and peel them. This is when my Vidalia Chop Wizard comes in! Perfect cubes and no cutting...uh...except for my injuries from the chop wizard, of course!!

I never peel my potatoes for salad, or even mashed potatoes. Reasons being:

!. Who has the time?
2. The skin is good for you.
3. Once again, who has the time?

Makes it look a bit more rustic, but oh well. Like I said, who has the time!

But for those of you who peel... can you come over to my house sometime??

I only peel after I've been sunburned.Too bad you don't know someone who could get you a deal on a really good potato peeler.

MomToEli said:
Is it still called Best on the West Coast? Maybe it was Best Foods. I can hear the song in my head

"Bring out the Best Foods...when you bring out the BEST!"

Yep, still Best Foods...never forget when I went to Detroit 20+ years ago...looking for Best Foods...making dinner for my DH's relatives...couldn't find it...everyone was staring at me...didn't know why...a kind man helped me to find Hellman's...come to find out they were staring at me because they didn't see many Asians back then in their neighborhood...I'm Japanese, in a store FULL of African Americans! Clueless!!! LOL

Ginny

Related to JoLynn's Search for the Perfect Potato Salad Recipe

What ingredients are needed for the perfect potato salad?

The most common ingredients for potato salad include potatoes, mayonnaise, mustard, celery, onion, and hard-boiled eggs. Other popular additions include pickles, bacon, and herbs such as dill or parsley.

Do I need to use a specific type of potato?

In general, starchy potatoes such as Russet or Yukon Gold are best for potato salad because they hold their shape when boiled. However, some people prefer waxy potatoes like red or new potatoes for a creamier texture.

How do I make sure the potatoes are cooked perfectly?

To ensure the potatoes are cooked through but still firm, pierce them with a fork or knife after boiling for about 10-15 minutes. They should be tender but not mushy. Alternatively, you can also cook them in the microwave for about 8-10 minutes.

Can I make potato salad ahead of time?

Yes, potato salad can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Just be sure to keep it chilled and stir before serving.

Are there any variations to the traditional potato salad recipe?

Absolutely! There are many variations to potato salad, including using different types of potatoes, adding different vegetables or herbs, and swapping out the mayonnaise for a vinaigrette dressing or Greek yogurt for a healthier option. Get creative and experiment to find your perfect potato salad recipe!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • ChefLisa
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Jenn'sKitchen
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies