• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Alton Brown Said I Needed Professional Help!

In summary, Alton Brown recommended that people who want to make a great Gratin should buy a mandolin, and anyone who doesn't have good knife skills should seek professional help.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
I'm a Good Eats Geek! I love the show, and I've followed Alton Brown since he was thin, cuter, calmer and younger...

So I have about 20+ episodes sitting on my TiVo- last night I went to the bottom of the list and decided to watch an episode on Potatoes.

He was going to make a gratin! Oh my! I LOVE Gratins- I mean what's not to love- cheese, cream, thinly sliced potatoes...

So he was talking about how thinly to slice your potatoes (and in my head I was getting all excited about the fact that he was gonna break out a huge knife and go all culinary on that potato's little body) and then said that anyone who would consider using their knife to do that should seek out professional help, because they need it...not that good knife skills aren't a good thing- but for a gratin, you should buy a mandolin...

Anywho- I don't like our mandolin and I LOVE using knives and would actually enjoy standing there and cutting each potato into wafer thin slices... I'm trying to find a T-Shirt that says Plays with my food and Runs with knives... or plays with knives... something like that!

So I ask this- HOW does that make me need professional help? :confused:

I have a t-shirt that says "runs with scissors". :)

I LOVE knives too....in fact, I don't use my mandoline or chopper much, because I prefer to slice, dice and chop myself - it's my therapy. I find it relaxing, and for some reason, I have my best creative thoughts when working with my knives....they are to me like paintbrushes would be to a watercolor artist!

HOWEVER....I have to agree with him for this one thing. The key to a wonderful Gratin of any kind - potato, sweet potato, carrot, etc.....is paper thin, uniformly sliced veggies. You want a gratin to just melt in your mouth, and the best way to achieve that result is to slice with a mandoline.:thumbup:

rennea said:
I have a t-shirt that says "runs with scissors". :)

When I was in cosmetology school I had a bumper sticker that said that! :)

ChefBeckyD said:
I LOVE knives too....in fact, I don't use my mandoline or chopper much, because I prefer to slice, dice and chop myself - it's my therapy. I find it relaxing, and for some reason, I have my best creative thoughts when working with my knives....they are to me like paintbrushes would be to a watercolor artist!

HOWEVER....I have to agree with him for this one thing. The key to a wonderful Gratin of any kind - potato, sweet potato, carrot, etc.....is paper thin, uniformly sliced veggies. You want a gratin to just melt in your mouth, and the best way to achieve that result is to slice with a mandoline.:thumbup:
Well I have been looking for an excuse to go to Williams Sonoma...maybe once DH gets a job- I'll be able to get that and my HUGE Le Creuset stock pot for stews, roasts and sauces...

Kitchen Diva said:
...Anywho- I don't like our mandolin and I LOVE using knives and would actually enjoy standing there and cutting each potato into wafer thin slices... I'm trying to find a T-Shirt that says Plays with my food and Runs with knives... or plays with knives... something like that!So I ask this- HOW does that make me need professional help? :confused:
Do you have our new manoline or the old one? I think that makes a difference too. I also love AB and have a ton of episodes on our DVR, the only problem with that is between Martha, Rachel & AB I have to start recording them to DVD sooner than later!! I have checked on line to order all of the episodes and don't really have $500.00 to shell out for them!! Some day when I win the lottery I will order them and a nice flat screen to put in my kitchen!! While I'm at it I might as well order an nice compact bed to put in the kitchen too...with a flat screen and a full collection of AB I will never leave (well maybe to go to the grocery store:rolleyes:) - my poor family if they only knew my twisted plan!!:p:eek::pLeea

Last edited:
Harrle said:
Do you have our new manoline or the old one? I think that makes a difference too.

I also love AB and have a ton of episodes on our DVR, the only problem with that is between Martha, Rachel & AB I have to start recording them to DVD sooner than later!! I have checked on line to order all of the episodes and don't really have $500.00 to shell out for them!! Some day when I win the lottery I will order them and a nice flat screen to put in my kitchen!! While I'm at it I might as well order an nice compact bed to put in the kitchen too...with a flat screen and a full collection of AB I will never leave (well maybe to go to the grocery store:rolleyes:) - my poor family if they only knew my twisted plan!!:p:eek::p

Leea

I have our new one, and honestly I think it's not good quality- the concept was good, but the carry-out was poor...

There's a snazzy little stainless steel one I've been eyeballing at the Williams Sonoma store... :) hee-hee

BTW- count me in on your twisted little plan! :) But first...once we win the lottery we have to demo our current kitchens and remodel them! Top of the line, state of the art... can you say VIKING appliances? Mmmmm?

Gee Kacey I am glad I am not the only one who hates our mandolin when we had the older slice I sold alot more then what I am selling now. I have customers who doesn't like it either and wants to get a old style one.

But for getting help I am not quiet for sure on that one but maybe it is one of those things we are suppose to read between the lines. lol

Kitchen Diva said:
...once we win the lottery we have to demo our current kitchens and remodel them! Top of the line, state of the art... can you say VIKING appliances? Mmmmm?

I like that idea - if I must demo then I must somehow include a Murphy bed in the plan!!:D

kitchen diva, they have a shirt that says plays with knives at cafe press... shop.cafepress.com/knives

christinaspc said:
Gee Kacey I am glad I am not the only one who hates our mandolin when we had the older slice I sold alot more then what I am selling now. I have customers who doesn't like it either and wants to get a old style one.

I totally sold more old ones (at full price) than new ones! I've only sold 1 even when it is the host special! and what is weird is that with the old one it was the old style cooking shows and I rarely brought and used it; therefore nobody really got to try it! I'm glad someone else has that issue! (on the flip side, I actually use our new mandolin more than our old one at shows and at home - aww who am I kidding I never cook at home! :blushing: )

LBurke said:
kitchen diva, they have a shirt that says plays with knives at cafe press... shop.cafepress.com/knives

LOVE IT!!! I won't have a pay check for 2 weeks, so I'll have to wait until August to buy this, but I'm gonna buy it!!!

GourmetGirl said:
I totally sold more old ones (at full price) than new ones! I've only sold 1 even when it is the host special! and what is weird is that with the old one it was the old style cooking shows and I rarely brought and used it; therefore nobody really got to try it! I'm glad someone else has that issue! (on the flip side, I actually use our new mandolin more than our old one at shows and at home - aww who am I kidding I never cook at home! :blushing: )

Well, I know for a fact you make truffles...and that's cooking- sort of! :) LOL

Nice to see you on here my BFF!

Kitchen Diva said:
Well, I know for a fact you make truffles...and that's cooking- sort of! :) LOL

Nice to see you on here my BFF!

The wonders of actually having 2 weeks off of work - I have some free time! Yippee!

GourmetGirl said:
The wonders of actually having 2 weeks off of work - I have some free time! Yippee!

Get back to your paper- the sooner you are finished the sooner you can party and cook! :) And, meet me for supper my friend!

i think dinner will need to joined by a fun, yummy frozen beverage :)I can do this... I can do this... 2 more papers...

GourmetGirl said:
i think dinner will need to joined by a fun, yummy frozen beverage :)

I can do this... I can do this... 2 more papers...

Love the new picture! you look fabulous!!

Kitchen Diva said:
Love the new picture! you look fabulous!!

The wonders of professional hair and make-up... That was definitely the prettiest I felt in ages!

(and nope, I still am not working on those papers... am totally lacking motivation!)

GourmetGirl said:
The wonders of professional hair and make-up... That was definitely the prettiest I felt in ages!

(and nope, I still am not working on those papers... am totally lacking motivation!)

Don't give in to the flesh... get them done so that you can relax- the stress of knowing they are still on your plate is what gets you run down my friend. :)

You look very pretty in that picture. :) Now- get off the computer before I drag my sick tooshy out to your neck of the woods and unplug your computer so you can finish your papers! :)

PS- we have STORMS coming!

STORMS coming... I've already had tornado sirens and flash storms in between the sunshine multiple times!

ChefBeckyD said:

Sweet potato gratin sounds freakin fabulous!! I never even thought of it before! I'm addicted to sweet potato fries right now ( you can buy them frozen at Trader Joe's) YUMMMMM!

GourmetGirl said:
i think dinner will need to joined by a fun, yummy frozen beverage :)

Reminds me I forgot to get rum at the grocery store earlier today. I have strawberry daquiri mix and nothing to put in it! ARRRGGHHH!!!

DebbieJ said:
Reminds me I forgot to get rum at the grocery store earlier today. I have strawberry daquiri mix and nothing to put in it! ARRRGGHHH!!!

Do you have any 7-Up or lemonade?

DebbieJ said:

Ok, so in VA you have to get your liquor at the ABC store, not the grocery store. We were walking back from dinner in Chicago and stopped at Domminicks, and wow, we were all shocked. I had no idea they sold liquor in grocery stores anywhere (I'm obviously sheltered). It's so darn convienient!! I definitely had some cluster mates who took advantage of it being so easily readible :) :)

yep, beer, wine, and liquor is sold everywhere here. Even at 7-Eleven. :)

iteachurkid said:
Ok, so in VA you have to get your liquor at the ABC store, not the grocery store. We were walking back from dinner in Chicago and stopped at Domminicks, and wow, we were all shocked. I had no idea they sold liquor in grocery stores anywhere (I'm obviously sheltered). It's so darn convienient!! I definitely had some cluster mates who took advantage of it being so easily readible :) :)

You must have been staying at the Sheraton.

I think I'll go to Dominicks right now for that rum. Already bought some beer from Jewel today and had one with dinner. Mmm... :D

iteachurkid said:

That's so crazy! In California booze is EVERYWHERE! Drug stores, grocery stores, gas stations. You can even get wine at Target and everything at Wal-Mart!
I've lived here my whole life so it's strange to think of having to go to a liquor store.

Kitchen Diva said:
When I was in cosmetology school I had a bumper sticker that said that! :)

Another thing we "divas" have in common. I went to cosmetology school too.

DessertDivaFL said:
Another thing we "divas" have in common. I went to cosmetology school too.

Okay, but did you get expelled one week before boards?

Some of our grocery stores sell liquor, but here in MN- you cannot buy liquor on a Sunday...only non-alcoholic drinks.

Kitchen Diva said:
Okay, but did you get expelled one week before boards?

Some of our grocery stores sell liquor, but here in MN- you cannot buy liquor on a Sunday...only non-alcoholic drinks.

See - you scared them away with your "runs with scissors" sticker. Maybe we shouldn't let you have a "plays with knives" shirt...

Did you really get expelled? Are you going to share what you did you naughty girl :)

I had a friend get expelled from cooking school because she wouldn't cook lobster. She was really ticked, too because she wanted to be a pastry chef and didn't understand why she had to kill lobsters to be a pastry chef.

One of the reasons I never went to culinary school is because I don't eat red meat and you have to taste everything you cook!!

To this day I still do not know why I was kicked out. I can only guess- I was good- real good and there was a national artist and his wife that wanted me to be a part of their team and I accepted before I had taken my boards. I was also working in a salon and selling the hair care products that this guy and his wife made (RUSK)- I wouldn't use the crappy products they sold at the school- I knew enough about ingredients to know they were crap and not good for the hair and I was too full of questions and too eagar to learn and they were too tired and too old to keep up.

That is the best reason I can come up with. I didn't steal, break laws, break rules, talk back, play hookie... I have no idea... They stole from me, but thankfully I was able to get the student loan people to go after them for that! :)

rennea said:
One of the reasons I never went to culinary school is because I don't eat red meat and you have to taste everything you cook!!

I thought I wanted to do culinary school, but I don't like onions or most seafood or most green produce or the sound of breaking bones when you split a chicken... not sure culinary school would have been a good idea.

Kitchen Diva said:
...Some of our grocery stores sell liquor, but here in MN- you cannot buy liquor on a Sunday...only non-alcoholic drinks.

Your lucky if the grocery stores here in MN sell the 'good stuff' - our Target here is only 3/2. For some reason I think there is something about not selling before Noon too??

Harrle said:
Your lucky if the grocery stores here in MN sell the 'good stuff' - our Target here is only 3/2. For some reason I think there is something about not selling before Noon too??

Wouldn't surprise me... we are the state that doesn't let you do anything!

katie0128 said:
I thought I wanted to do culinary school, but I don't like onions or most seafood or most green produce or the sound of breaking bones when you split a chicken... not sure culinary school would have been a good idea.

I cannot wait to go back to culinary school!

Kitchen Diva said:
Don't give in to the flesh... get them done so that you can relax- the stress of knowing they are still on your plate is what gets you run down my friend. :)

You look very pretty in that picture. :) Now- get off the computer before I drag my sick tooshy out to your neck of the woods and unplug your computer so you can finish your papers! :)

PS- we have STORMS coming!

So, is it still considered highjacking, if the person doing the highjacking is also the person who started the thread?? :confused: :)

Kacey, I hope you feel better soon, but I'm glad you can keep your sense of humor, even in the bad times.

BTW - I also dislike the UM.

Sarah

pampermejolene said:
Sweet potato gratin sounds freakin fabulous!! I never even thought of it before! I'm addicted to sweet potato fries right now ( you can buy them frozen at Trader Joe's) YUMMMMM!

We rarely eat white potatoes - but we LOVE sweet potatoes!

I buy the Alexia brand of Sweet Potato Fries - those are the BEST! Sometimes, I sprinkle them with a little cinnamon sugar before baking them.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
micocina
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies