• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

It's Soooooo Flippin' Cold in My House!!!

In summary, the person's house was -25.6 degrees Fahrenheit (-32 degrees Celsius) outdoors and 15 degrees Celsius or 59 degrees Fahrenheit indoors. They were freezing and were hoping the furnace wasn't too expensive to fix.
kcjodih
Gold Member
ARRGGGG!!! I spent the night tossin' and turnin' trying to stay warm - the furnace isn't working. It was -32C/-25.6 F with the windchill here last night and it was 15C/59 F in my house. It's ONLY a 4 year old house! Why oh why does this always happen on the coldest day of the year? Now I have to go to work and I'm soooo tired! Better not call in sick though; need the money to pay whatever furnace bill transpires and besides it'll be warmer there!

Ohhhh - I'm so sorry! I HATE being cold! Do you have a space heater or something.....or somewhere you can stay w/ friends or family while the furnace is being fixed? Hopefully it won't take long, and your home will be nice and toasty this evening!

OMG Jodi!! :eek: That is SO cold!:eek:

I'm sorry I hope you're warm now!!!

Oooh, you poor thing. Drink lots of hot coffee/cocoa/tea and bundle up. I hope your furnace troubles are fixed quickly and inexpensively.

Go somewhere warm tonight if it's not fixed!

Our power was out for 2 weeks a couple years ago in the winter. Luckily we have a gas fireplace and gas hot water heater and stove. We still FROZE but it could have been so much worse. Of course DH was on a business trip in a nice cozy hotel room and the power returned as he was coming back from the airport.:rolleyes:

kcjodih said:
and it was 15C/59 F in my house.

Haha...we purposely set out thermostat at 60F at night and 63F during the day! We just wear lots of layers!

When we moved here two years ago, the previous owner had the thermostat set to 66F at night and 70F during the day, but the first month we were here, our gas and electricity bill was $400 (which was super high for me!!!) So we've been setting the thermostat lower to try to save some money on our bill!!! (Along with weatherstripping doors and windows, updating insulation, and even calling in an energy consultant to give us a full report on how we can save energy to save money).

Did you know that adding humidity to the house will make lower temps feel more comfortable? So we have a vaporizer/humidifier at night in the hallway and when we updated our heating system, we purchased one that has a built in humidifier.

Sorry to hear you froze last night!

That sucks! It happened to one of my mommy friends a couple weeks ago when our temps were down around 0 F. Not fun!

Yikes!!! That is cold. We are lucky that we have a fireplace. Only bad thing is it doesn't hold a lot of wood at once, so it has to be loaded about every hour. I've been sleeping in front of it in the recliner and waking myself up to keep it going at night. I hate being tired all the time, but hate seeing the big electric bills even more. If I can keep it burning hot enough, most of the time the furnace won't kick on at all. The house stays warm if all the bedroom doors are open, but the floors are freezing! But that is what fuzzy socks are for :D

Oh, honey!!! Get yourself a hotel room or go to a friend/family member's house tonight if that thing ain't fixed! Let us know if things warm up around there!!!

kcjodih said:
ARRGGGG!!! I spent the night tossin' and turnin' trying to stay warm - the furnace isn't working. It was -32C/-25.6 F with the windchill here last night and it was 15C/59 F in my house. It's ONLY a 4 year old house! Why oh why does this always happen on the coldest day of the year? Now I have to go to work and I'm soooo tired! Better not call in sick though; need the money to pay whatever furnace bill transpires and besides it'll be warmer there!
Sending WARM prayers your way. Pile on those blankets tonight. Think HOT Hot Hot Warm Warm Warm thoughts.:)

little late on the boat. I'm sorry to hear that Jody. I hope you have gotten the problem fixed.

I feel your pain my attic and all of my walls are frozen right now!! We have had worker up the you know what in my house for weeks. The problem should be fixed by next week. But the mold that it left behind is a whole nother story and project

How about a fur coat?

Related to It's Soooooo Flippin' Cold in My House!!!

What can I do to keep my house warm during cold weather?

There are a few things you can do to keep your house warm during cold weather. First, make sure all windows and doors are properly sealed to prevent drafts. You can also use draft stoppers or weather stripping for added insulation. Additionally, using heavy curtains or blankets to cover windows at night can help retain heat. Lastly, consider using a space heater or heated blankets in the rooms you spend the most time in.

Is there a particular type of cookware that is best for cooking in cold weather?

When cooking in cold weather, it's best to use heavy and thick cookware that retains heat well. Cast iron, ceramic, and stoneware are all great options. These materials hold heat longer and distribute it evenly, making them perfect for cooking hearty meals during cold weather.

My oven takes longer to preheat during winter. Is this normal?

Yes, it is normal for ovens to take longer to preheat during winter. This is because the colder air in your kitchen can affect the oven's temperature sensor, causing it to take longer to reach the desired temperature. To speed up the process, you can preheat your oven with a higher temperature and then adjust it once it reaches the desired temperature.

Can I use my slow cooker to warm up my house?

While slow cookers do emit some heat, they are not designed to warm up an entire house. It's best to use a slow cooker for cooking food and other methods, such as using a space heater or adjusting the thermostat, to warm up your house.

How can I prevent my pipes from freezing during cold weather?

To prevent pipes from freezing during cold weather, make sure to keep your home's temperature above 55 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also insulate exposed pipes with foam insulation or heat tape. Additionally, letting a small stream of water run through pipes can help prevent freezing. If you suspect your pipes may be frozen, do not attempt to thaw them with a heat source as this can cause them to burst. Instead, contact a professional plumber for assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bsaxman
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
debbieskitchenhelper
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies