• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conquering My Zicam Addiction - One Nasal Spray at a Time

than 3 days) can actually be addicting. The nasal tissues get really addicted to the stuff, so when you stop using it they get really inflamed and stuffy again. My ENT explained that surgery or steroids can shrink the inflammation, but I'm pretty scared about either of those. Anyway, I'm glad I found out before I got too addicted.
Kitchen Diva said:
You crack me up!! I wonder if I'm addicted to Pepto Bismol.........My doctor just said it was IBS...but maybe my body just wants everyone to "think" it's IBS. Hmmmm- this is worth some pondering!

((((((Sending you pumped up hugs and a box of Puffs))))))

Thanks!

Seriously, if you doctor thinks you have IBS, take peppermint. It's like a wonder drug. Just go to a natural foods store/health food store and get peppermint tablets. Take them when you eat.

Miracles. Promise you....

Kitchen Diva said:
And you have to be very careful about going out in the sun while on those 'roids, and if you do get a cold for up to 12 months after your last dose, you have to call your doctor just to be safe... I was on steriods for 2 years off and on, and I ended up getting very ill from them.

The side effects from the on again off again use- as perscribed by my doctors, caused me to get androgen deficiency (when your body stops producing 2 or more hormones on its own) I also had burnt out adrenals and I was boarder line to having Addisons Disease, and I also became insulin resistant. I'm on HRT right now, and have been for 1.5 years. My body makes too much estrogen, and doesn't make any testosterone, or cortisol or progesterone on its own...so I have to take those hormones topically and orally. The only way to fix the lack of cortisol is to take steriods, which I can't do, so I just have to watch what I eat, and exercise,and taking the other 'mones that I take will eventually fix that issue.

The sad thing is you feel AWESOME when you are on the steriods, but in my case, it was very damaging to my body and out of the 7 doctors I was seeing for my back injury not ONE of them told me about these side effects...oh, and for some reason it also caused my ovaries to shut down, but that's another story. Sorry for the partial hijack- I just wanted to give you a heads up. But it doesn't sound like you'll be on them and off them, and on them and off them for 2 years straight, so you should be fine! :)

It's actually a 6-day dosage, similar to what they give you for poison ivy.

I'm on day 3. I really do feel better. Last night, I slept all night with my CPAP, and clear nostrils. I've been in my house (to which I thought I was allergic) for about an hour, and my nose is fine. I have three more days of steroids, and I think I'm gonna make it. I don't even need the nose spray anymore, because my nose is clear.

For anyone else struggling with this, give steroid therapy a try. It's short, and it's made a world of difference!

Did you hit any home runs today?

My steroid doses were anywhere from a 6 to10 day dose pack, and I was on them and off them for two years...that's what started the whole hormone deficiency and the shutting down of my ovaries, and the insulin resistance...etc, etc. But I do agree, they make you feel great when you are on them!

I had a procedure done on my turbinates where they widened them and then also shortened my palate. I did it voluntarily because I was tired of everyone telling me I sounded like a Mack truck when I slept. Totally worth it. They only shorten the palate a little at a time and I am so ready to go back and do it again. Honestly it wasn't that bad. I had mashed potatoes and gravy every meal for almost a month but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

JoLynn

Jean - I had the turbinate reduction surgery last year and I can't tell you how awesome I feel after having that! I was constantly stuffed up and couldn't breath! I did the surgery where they put me under as I didn't think I could stand the smell of them burning the turbinates in the office. Best of luck to you! I am glad the steroids are working (prednisone I presume??)!!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Did you hit any home runs today?

No, but I did hack my ex-wife and her friend to death in my driveway.

Uh oh. Was that over the line?

Nah...

...at some point we're going to have to have a "best of" collection from your posts.

Jean DeVries said:
Thanks!

Seriously, if you doctor thinks you have IBS, take peppermint. It's like a wonder drug. Just go to a natural foods store/health food store and get peppermint tablets. Take them when you eat.

Miracles. Promise you....

Really? Oh Jean if that's the case your awsome girl:thumbup: I was diagnosed with IBS when I was still a teenager and have battled with it ever since. I am going to my health food store in the morning.

<h2>1. What is Zicam and why would someone use it?</h2><p>Zicam is a nasal spray that is used to relieve congestion and stuffy noses. It is often used by individuals with sleep apnea who need clear nasal passages to use CPAP machines.</p><h2>2. Is it safe to use Zicam for a prolonged period of time?</h2><p>No, it is not safe to use Zicam for more than three days in a row. Prolonged use can lead to addiction and other potential health risks.</p><h2>3. How does Zicam addiction occur?</h2><p>Zicam (and other nasal sprays) can constrict blood vessels in the nasal passages, providing temporary relief from congestion. However, this can lead to rebound congestion and a reliance on the spray for relief, creating a cycle of addiction.</p><h2>4. What are the consequences of Zicam addiction?</h2><p>Zicam addiction can lead to chronic congestion, high blood pressure, and potential damage to the nasal tissues. It can also become a costly habit, as frequent use of the spray can add up in expenses.</p><h2>5. How can Zicam addiction be treated?</h2><p>There are two options for treating Zicam addiction: surgery or steroids. Surgery can permanently reduce the size of the inflamed nasal tissues, while steroids can provide temporary relief. It is important to consult with a doctor to determine the best course of treatment for individual cases.</p>

1. What is Zicam and why would someone use it?

Zicam is a nasal spray that is used to relieve congestion and stuffy noses. It is often used by individuals with sleep apnea who need clear nasal passages to use CPAP machines.

2. Is it safe to use Zicam for a prolonged period of time?

No, it is not safe to use Zicam for more than three days in a row. Prolonged use can lead to addiction and other potential health risks.

3. How does Zicam addiction occur?

Zicam (and other nasal sprays) can constrict blood vessels in the nasal passages, providing temporary relief from congestion. However, this can lead to rebound congestion and a reliance on the spray for relief, creating a cycle of addiction.

4. What are the consequences of Zicam addiction?

Zicam addiction can lead to chronic congestion, high blood pressure, and potential damage to the nasal tissues. It can also become a costly habit, as frequent use of the spray can add up in expenses.

5. How can Zicam addiction be treated?

There are two options for treating Zicam addiction: surgery or steroids. Surgery can permanently reduce the size of the inflamed nasal tissues, while steroids can provide temporary relief. It is important to consult with a doctor to determine the best course of treatment for individual cases.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nikked
  • Jennie4PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
CookinWithLynda
  • Jean DeVries