• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is This Business a Rollercoaster? How Do You Stay Balanced?

In summary, the business can be an emotional rollercoaster for those who feel like they are constantly working but it eventually evens out. Those who are persistent and have a good customer base can overcome these ups and downs.
amy07
who feels like this business can be an emotional rollercoaster? One minute, you've got shows lined up, potential recruits, great sales volume, etc. and then BAM! BAM! BAM! shows cancelled, recruits back-out, couldn't GIVE the stuff away. Ok, it's not that bad, gotta little carried away with the giving away part (I know some of you have people "lifting" your stuff).
For you veterans, how do you balance yourself out?
And if I really am the only one who feels like this, lie to me and tell me I'm not!;) ;)

For me it's been HOT and cold over the 1.5 years I've been doing this. You have good months and not so good! Over this time, I've had 2 non selling months 1 in July of 06(not 1 show or order :( ) and this Jan(although I had shows, they did not close until Feb).
I guess once you est. yourself and are consistent with the phone, follow up with leads, customer care etc. you will always be steady?? I'm just now getting into using the phone, as I totally avoided it the first year (total phone fear). Sometimes I feel I spend too much time working, thinking, living TPC but then I get busy with other things (kids, life, other partime booking job) and feel balanced with it. It happens to everyone I think!

I am like this ALL the time!!! Glad to know that I am not alone! Once my show was cancelled Saturday because of snow I felt like I was never going to reach my monthly goal. Then one day I feel like I am over booked for the month then the next day I want to book more! Who knows! :eek:

You are not alone - You can look at all my posts since I started - Sometime things are great and sometimes they are not - Kinda of like life

That's the way of direct sales. The key is to recognize it, then pull up your big girl panties and deal with it. At least, that's the talk I give myself.

I feel like that all of the time. I think it ,ay be part of th eappeal to me - LOL - I always seem to like a little drama in my life...

Heck, I'm at the point where my show days just can't come fast enough, and I just started...I'm bored. It's a slow start

I always remember that it will even out- when I am having a great month I celebrate, but know that it won't always be wonderful. On the other hand when I have a bad month I know that it will get better soon!

I can't complain, I got my 1250 in two shows just anxious..:)

It is a rollercoaster! For example - I had a great Jan & Feb...and thought I was off to a great March - but almost all of my March shows have fallen through (for some very valid reasons) I am looking today at no more shows until the first week in April. Now for April, I have 7-8 shows booked(and address lists for most of them - which is a big indicator to me that the show will hold)....which is the first time in 4 years that I have had a full show schedule for April! Like Gillian said - it all evens out, and if you are willing to persevere, it gets better! When I first started - actually for like the first 2 years, everytime I would look at an empty show schedule...I would panic and think "what if I can't pull this off?". Now though, I have a great customer base, and alot of good information and tools,and instead of panic....I go into work mode and make some calls and do some emails and just work the business until it's back where I want it to be.....I've watched your posts Amy, and I can tell you are off to a good start - perseverance! That's the biggest key!

amy07 said:
who feels like this business can be an emotional rollercoaster? One minute, you've got shows lined up, potential recruits, great sales volume, etc. and then BAM! BAM! BAM! shows cancelled, recruits back-out, couldn't GIVE the stuff away. Ok, it's not that bad, gotta little carried away with the giving away part (I know some of you have people "lifting" your stuff).
For you veterans, how do you balance yourself out?
And if I really am the only one who feels like this, lie to me and tell me I'm not!;) ;)

Look on the bright side, we are both in the same town and you already have me beat :)

I feel this way a lot but it is my goal this year to work on having a more consistant calendar. which means more consistant phone time for me!!! I working on it!!

heather

jasonmva said:
Look on the bright side, we are both in the same town and you already have me beat :)

I don't have you "beat". Just remember we all have different agendas and goals (thanks to Janetupnorth for reminding ME of that). And you're right, we are pretty much in the same town, so you also know how competitive it is here, as I'm sure it is elsewhere!

JenBowen said:
I can't complain, I got my 1250 in two shows just anxious..:)

Keep it up Jen! Your off to a great start, and PC Dollars to boot!! Gotta love the FREE shopping!:p :p

dannyzmom said:
I feel like that all of the time. I think it ,ay be part of th eappeal to me - LOL - I always seem to like a little drama in my life...

I can understand that............Of course, pink panties on microfiber towels will always add a little drama too!!:eek: :eek: I'm still laughing about that!:D

At my first conference I heard that only in this busines can you go from euphoria to dispair then back to euphoria in three phone calls.

It is so true. Same with shows. I left tonight's show w/ $892 in sales 1 solid booking, 3 leads and a recruit lead. I got home and there was a message from a host whose show closed at $205...I basically catered this nitwits party and she is a pain!! Grrr... I'll deal with it, kill her with kindness and remember her daughter has shows and friends that rock. I'll do what it takes to make her happy even if I only made $60 for 3 hours work!

My main roller coaster w/ PC is when I take a week or two off. I get nervous, forget to host coach and when I finally do a show, I feel like it's my first.

Last edited:
I have a friend whose sister sells SLAH. She said they have a program where consultants can sign up for sessions with a "life coach" because of the whole emotional rollercoaster bit! I agree! I've been doing pretty well and fell into a HUGE rut...I'm clawing kicking and screaming to get out though! I won't give up!!!!

I have to say last summer business was trucking along as usual. slow but steady just the way I like it in the summer. Then at the end of July my mother-in-law passed away very unexpectedly and then of coarse everything came to a hault. Well when it was time to get back to work which was not very easy when I didn't have much desire at all. But I relized something when you have an employer and you have to take time off for such a situation someone is usualy still carring on with business. Where as with this business no one is going to work your business but you. It is very hard to come out of such a blow business wise and emotionally.

just keep trucking and you will find balance.

thanks
heather

Related to Is This Business a Rollercoaster? How Do You Stay Balanced?

Am I the Only One who doesn't know how to use a Kitchen Mandoline?

No, you are not the only one. Many people struggle with using a mandoline at first, but with practice and following the instructions carefully, it can become a useful tool in the kitchen.

Am I the Only One who can't seem to get my Quick-Stir Pitcher to work properly?

No, you are not alone. The Quick-Stir Pitcher can be a bit tricky to use at first. Make sure to follow the instructions and use the correct amount of liquid to ensure it works properly.

Am I the Only One who has trouble cleaning my Rockcrok® Casserole Dish?

No, many people struggle with cleaning their Rockcrok® Casserole Dish. It is important to let it cool down before cleaning and to avoid using metal utensils or harsh scrubbers that can damage the non-stick surface.

Am I the Only One who can't seem to make perfectly round cookies with the Cookie Scoop?

No, you are not the only one. It may take some practice to get the hang of using the Cookie Scoop, but make sure to use dough that is the right consistency and to pack it tightly into the scoop for best results.

Am I the Only One who struggles to cut through meats with the Carving Knife?

No, many people find it difficult to cut through tougher cuts of meat with the Carving Knife. Make sure to use a sharp knife and let the meat rest before carving to achieve clean and easy cuts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kathytnt
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kathytnt
  • nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nikked
  • ShelbyMichalek