• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Um a Part of Your Demo -Always?

In summary, the UM is difficult to use and doesn't often work. Customers are interested in it, but if they find out it won't do julienne, they'll stop looking.
heat123
Silver Member
I am debating on taking this unit out of my bag and not bring it with to every show! I can only get it to work 1/2 the time! I want to start bringing less with me so I want to narrow it down to:
cookware, stoneware, SA and basics I use in a recipe. Do you always demo the UM? Just curious? I think I have sold only 1 since it changed styles and she ended up returning it.

I only take the UM when I am going to use it or if I've had a host ask to see it. I do usually take it to fairs that I do, but I take the whole new consultant kit when I do that.

I seem to only take it if it's used in the recipe or if I know someone wants to see that product in particular. It just takes practice. The only time mine doesn't work is if it's not on track all the way. THe best way I practiced was by making scalloped potatoes! YUm! Slicing up 5 pounds of potatoes went so much faster using that and the slices were much more consistent.

I bring it and use it at every single show.

pamperedbecky said:
I seem to only take it if it's used in the recipe or if I know someone wants to see that product in particular. It just takes practice. The only time mine doesn't work is if it's not on track all the way. THe best way I practiced was by making scalloped potatoes! YUm! Slicing up 5 pounds of potatoes went so much faster using that and the slices were much more consistent.

Scalloped Potatoes! I was trying to figure out what to have with dinner.....great idea!

Oh - and I usually only bring mine if I am going to demo it.......and tonight, I am leaving it home. We are making the Fizz ahead tonight, so I'll just use my trusty utility knife to do the lime slices - and not have to haul the UM!

If my kit has room, I take it and when I take it I DO demo it (often NOT associated with the recipe).

For any demo I try to use a food item that I know will cooperate...like a potatoe! You can do one potato with basically all the blades, if you wanted to.

That said, I explain carefully that using the correct blade is the key to success with the UM...plus not having squishy tomatos, etc.

I only bring it with me if I am demoing it...other wise I dont' bring it....... I have had a hard time getting the other blades to work..... But I have been practicing .... :)

I don't bring the UM very often. If the recipe needs lime slices, I might. I make sure I get a lime small enough to fit into the food holder without pre-cutting.

The problem is, the UM often backfires and doesn't work - even when the food holder is lined up correctly. I can get it to slice, but guests can't. I'll put my hand on theirs and show them, but by then, they have lost interest.

OXO, Zyliss, KitchenAid and other brands have similar-featured mandolins for under $50. Plus, those other brands have a julienne blade.

I've had several customers interested in the UM, but when they find out if won't do julienne for stir-fry, they keep looking.

kspry said:
I don't bring the UM very often. If the recipe needs lime slices, I might. I make sure I get a lime small enough to fit into the food holder without pre-cutting.

The problem is, the UM often backfires and doesn't work - even when the food holder is lined up correctly. I can get it to slice, but guests can't. I'll put my hand on theirs and show them, but by then, they have lost interest.

OXO, Zyliss, KitchenAid and other brands have similar-featured mandolins for under $50. Plus, those other brands have a julienne blade.

I've had several customers interested in the UM, but when they find out if won't do julienne for stir-fry, they keep looking.

Send a suggestion to HO about the juliene blade!!!! And I often have the same problem where I can't get it to work at shows... but works at home!!

Send a suggestion to HO about the juliene blade!!!! And I often have the same problem where I can't get it to work at shows... but works at home!!

Thanks, I did send them that suggestion.

The UM is about the only PC product that has not performed at shows. My director was trying to talk me into using it more at shows - she knows I don't like it. Then, it wouldn't slice limes for her at a cluster meeting ;)

Everything else seems really easy to demo.

Related to Is the Um a Part of Your Demo -Always?

1. Is the Um a Part of Your Demo -Always?

Yes, the Um is a key part of our demonstration and is used to showcase the versatility and quality of our products.

2. Can you explain what the Um is and how it is used in the demo?

The Um is a silicone kitchen tool that can be used in a variety of ways during the demo. It can act as a trivet, jar opener, spoon rest, and more. It is also a great tool to showcase the non-stick and heat-resistant properties of our products.

3. Do I need to purchase the Um separately or does it come with a product?

The Um is not included with any specific product and is available for purchase separately. However, it is often used and demonstrated during our cooking shows and can be added to your order if you are interested in purchasing it.

4. Can I use the Um with other brands of kitchen products?

Yes, the Um is designed to be used with any brand of kitchen products. Its versatility allows it to be used with pots, pans, and other kitchen tools from different brands.

5. Is the Um dishwasher safe?

Yes, the Um is dishwasher safe and can also be hand washed with soap and water. Its silicone material makes it easy to clean and maintain.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pchefinski
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
jessbn
  • scottcooks
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • leftymac