• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is My Son's Music Ministry About to Take Off?

In summary, the speaker's son Shawn, who is currently in school in Dallas, will graduate in December with a certification in practical ministry. He has been encouraged by people in the music industry to pursue music as part of his ministry. He will be meeting with a man who owns a recording studio and promotes talented local artists. He will also be performing at his school on August 19th. If the studio opportunity doesn't work out, he has been offered free studio time elsewhere. The speaker is proud of her son's character and values, and he is self-supporting while in school. He also has a habit of giving sacrificially when he feels God's leading.
raebates
Staff member
Okay, so at 22 he's not exactly a baby, but he'll always be my one and only baby boy. :love:

For those who don't know, my son Shawn is at school in Dallas. He will graduate in December with a certification in practical ministry. He has been encouraged by several people in the music industry in Dallas to pursue music as part of his ministry. (He definitely does not feel called to pastor. He's more of an evangelistic speaker, and has been doing that since he was 17.) He writes music, sings, and plays the guitar.

Got a call from him today. He'll be meeting sometime in the next week or so with a man who (a) owns a small recording studio, (b) places artists in venues from coffee houses to arenas, and (c) likes to find and promote talented local artists with a different sound. He's cautiously excited. His real goal is, whether this goes anywhere or not, for God's will to be made clear to him.

Also, on Tuesday, August 19, he'll be performing at his school. Tuesday evenings they have a large assembly. The school's praise team leads worship, and there is a special speaker. Between the two they allow students to speak and/or perform. He's done that in-between thing several times. However, this time he'll be leading off before the worship team. That means he'll be the very first performer for this semester. He'll be doing an original piece of music.

BTW, if the thing with this studio doesn't work out, he's been offered free studio time elsewhere to cut a demo. It's the added benefit of the promotion with this guy that is appealing.

wow! Looks like Shawn's getting added to my prayer list. :)

Rae, you have raised a fine young man. God will bless him, I am sure. I will say a prayer for him.

I will definitely keep your son in my thoughts and prayers. I am sure that you are one proud mama!!!

Can I ask what school he goes to? Is he at UNT?

He's at Christ for the Nations Institute (CFNI). It's a tiny campus in urban Dallas. It's only partially accredited, but the credits transfer to most Christian schools in Dallas, should he decide to finish his degree. And, yes, I'm pretty darn proud. Actually I'm most proud that he's a sweet, loving young man who respects others, takes responsibility for himself, and doesn't take himself too seriously.

He's at Christ for the Nations Institute (CFNI). It's a tiny campus in urban Dallas. It's only partially accredited, but the credits transfer to most Christian schools in Dallas, should he decide to finish his degree.

And, yes, I'm pretty darn proud. Actually I'm most proud that he's a sweet, loving young man who respects others, takes responsibility for himself, and doesn't take himself too seriously.

I am excited for his opportunity! I am just always impressed when you talk about how much he puts God first in all of his decisions!

I know exactly where Christ for the Nations Institute is!! I just was not aware that it was a college. I used to drive by there every day on my way to work at my old job. Small world!!!!

That is awesome about your son, I hope that my boys grow up with those same values!! I try to instill them, but they are so stubborn and strong willed!!!

He's a very unusual young man. He told me recently about a conversation he had with a fellow student. Shawn has been paying his own way, including his school bills, since about four months after he arrived at CFNI. (Well, he's still on our cell phone plan, but it's not much and will end when the contact is up in March.)Shawn felt it was important for him, as a grown man, to be self-supporting. The other student was saying that he wished he could do that, but it was just so hard. Shawn told him that it would never happen until he stopped seeing his parents as an option. He said there are times when he eats cereal for a week because money is tight. He knows he could ask us for help, and we'd be glad to do that. However, he feels better eating the cereal.*Like I said, he's unusual.*Don't worry about him too much. We've talked about his financial situation. He has a good job, but he often gives sacrificially when he feels God's leading. He had some money saved to buy a guitar. A friend was struggling to pay his bills because of a short illness, so Shawn gave him the money he had saved. That was one of his cereal weeks.And, don't worry about his guitar. Two weeks later he found a great electric acoustic on sale. He put it on layaway, and it was his a few weeks later.

WOW!!! He is destined for great things!!!
How blessed you are!! That says so much about the way you raised him. The world could use a lot more Shawns!!!!!

It sounds like truly awesome things are in store for your baby boy. My own baby boy turned 25 last week. I still call him "Baby Adam!" He doesn't seem to mind, thank goodness! He's also in the Dallas area, married 4 years and teaching music at a high school. He's excited because this school year will be his first full teaching year.

I'm so pleased to hear of your son's love for God and his musical gifts.

Blessings.

Sounds to me like your Baby Adam has some musical talents of his own. :)My son doesn't mind being called Baby Boy. I've called him that since he was about 15 and got substantially taller than I am. I reminded him that he will always be my Baby Boy. Of course, he calls me Momma (his spelling), and most of his friends call me Momma Bates. As a matter of fact, one of his friends is getting married soon. My invitation come addressed to Momma Bates.Shawn would love to find a young woman to share his passion for Jesus, people, and music--in that order. She'll need to be a bit quirky, too. If you know of a young woman who fits that description, let me know. ;)

Thanks for the prayers. His performance went well last night. I don't have details, but he assured me it was an awesome experience. He'll meet with the music guy this week, so keep praying. Thanks again!

Thanks fr sharing Rae ~ I love these stories about incredible kids! Congrats to you...you did a great job raising him ~ he had to learn it from someone!

Prayers coming his way . . .

I love the music that comes out of there. We lived in Wichita Falls for several years and our praise team would do music from CFNI. I have several of their CDs, and their music really blesses me.

My 17 year old seems to be on track and really living for God...definitely quirky...is Baby Boy willing to wait???

lol

Glad to hear things are going well!

Sounds like he is defintely living for the Lord. You do not find that a lot in young people thse days, not as close as he seems to be to Him anyway. Iam sure that all will work for God's will since Shawn seems to be so centered in His will.

Nikked, he'd probably be willing to wait, especially since he doesn't necessarily have any immediate prospects. He says it's sometimes difficult to get a girl interested when you're 22 but look like you're 17. LOL!He's still trying to get together with the studio guy. They're having a little trouble syncing schedules. It should be soon, though. Lots of other interesting things are popping up, so I'd appreciate your continued prayers for God's will to be really clear to him.It occurred to me the other day that he's chosen a rather dangerous path. Part of my mother's heart would be glad if he chose some safe, secure profession where he'd be nice and settled--preferably somewhere within reasonable driving distance. I realize, though, that my true wish for him is that he follows God's plan for him. Since he has chosen to make his life available for God's use wherever, whenever, and however He chooses, I know he's made himself a huge target for the enemy. History is filled with men who have suffered greatly for choosing that path.

I spoke with my son. He said the guy with the studio is a nice guy. He seems to be really interested in developing local talent. The only problem is that the studio leaves a lot to be desired. He said he thought they'd probably work together a bit to get him into more local venues, but he'll do his recording elsewhere.Thanks again for your prayers. He suddenly has a lot of different types of offers in front of him, and he's doing his best to prayerfully consider each before making a decision.

Got a call from my baby boy this afternoon. He's decided to rearrange his schedule so he won't be working on Friday evenings. (Reminder: he's a server at a high-end seafood restaurant, so he'll be giving up some prime tip money.) He plans to start searching out venues to perform in on Friday nights. He feels like this is a step out in faith onto the path God's laid out for him.I'm certain he would appreciate your prayers. I know his momma would appreciate them. ;)

Rae, I am just reading this thread for the first time and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

God surely has plans for your Baby Boy!

Rae your baby boy sounds perfect for my baby girl Ashley (21). He sounds like such a wonderful man. My Ashley is assistant older youth director at her church just to help out. She recently drove a van to GodStock similar to the WoodStock to take 7 teenage kids to see all the different bands. She is trying to finish school on her own and had to stop this year due to finances, but should be back soon.

I am proud of your baby boy and don't even know him. May God continue to work and guide him throught out his life.

Thanks!Lisa, I'll add your Ashley to my prayer list as well.

There's been a new development. Tonight at 8 p.m. CDT my DS is performing. It's his first paying gig out in the general public. It's at a local coffeehouse. I know he'd appreciate your prayers. I prayed with him earlier this evening. He's really excited.

Okay - so that's 9pm EDT, right?

I'll just pray now to make sure it's covered!:angel:

Rae,
I wish I'd known earlier my son would have probably gone to hear him
we laugh at him since he was a college freshman he has played in a country band they play in a bar on Fri and Sat nights and he gets up goes to church and then plays in the Praise band at his church there.

That's right, Becky. Thanks for the prayers.

He told me he made some copies of his lyrics in case anyone wanted them. Here's a sampling. This is one of his most recent:

I am who i am
by Shawn Bates

Verse 1
Shift into neutral I'm ready to drive
I got glasses on my sun to match my rose colored eyes.
I'm a little bit shaky but you'll be happy to see,
the sugar in your ears will sweeten up your iced tea.
I see through my fingers and I glare through my toes
where perception comes from, well no body really knows
but the one thing I figure is you can't judge me
I see it how I want to and that's the way it should be.

Verse 2
Food is for the stomach and the stomach is for the food
the ocean is very vast hence why the sky is really blue
and the moon is just a reflection of the sun I can't see
the sun is never setting though it’s eaten by the sea.
I have a very nice watch but I can't keep the time
I read and go to church yet never understand divine
I'm the picture of a human in the one I can't see
reflecting back His glory as I fall down to my knees

chorus-
I am who i am, but I'm not the I AM
stand how I stand but my heart He demands
Oh I am who i am, who do I think that I am?
that which I wish to do is what I tend not to do
and I could try on my own till my face shades to blue but I am
Oh I am who I, I am who i am, but I'm not the I AM.

Verse 3
A picture can tell a thousand words and words can paint a picture
but when rubber meets the road it’s still at two-dimensional stature
and I tend to think and act and move like my ways are like Yours
but who am I who stands at three ever hope to understand four?
See really my position is much like that of paper
the graphite tip hits the page and I'm marked forever after
and draw a cube upon my scene and yes I'll grab the concept
but till a man eats a scroll I'm left with just a mindset, I'm just a man

Hook-
One was the loneliest number that you'd ever see
Then the two became as the one
when it came to the power of the number three

1. What is the "Opportunity for My Baby Boy" program?

The "Opportunity for My Baby Boy" program is a special initiative by Pampered Chef that provides mothers with the chance to earn extra income while staying at home with their newborn baby boy. It allows them to become independent consultants and sell our high-quality kitchen products.

2. Who is eligible for the program?

Any mother who has recently given birth to a baby boy is eligible for the "Opportunity for My Baby Boy" program. We believe in supporting new mothers during this precious time and providing them with a flexible and rewarding opportunity.

3. How does the program work?

Mothers who join the program will receive a starter kit with all the necessary tools and training to become a successful consultant. They can host virtual or in-person parties to showcase our products and earn commission on sales. They also have access to a supportive community and ongoing training and resources.

4. Are there any costs associated with joining the program?

There is a one-time fee of $109 to join the "Opportunity for My Baby Boy" program. This covers the cost of the starter kit, which includes over $450 worth of products and business supplies. There are no monthly fees or minimum sales requirements.

5. What are the benefits of joining the program?

By joining the "Opportunity for My Baby Boy" program, mothers can earn extra income while having the flexibility to work from home and spend time with their newborn. They also have the opportunity to build their own business, receive discounts on products, and be a part of a supportive community of fellow consultants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
raebates
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies