• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is My Baking Stone Ruined After a Self Clean?

In summary, My fiance did a self clean on the oven WITH the baking stone inside. It doesn't use any chemicals...but now my stone is nice and clean...but if you put it through the self cleaniong oven it will "unseason" if that is a word. You can still use it but will have to reseason it again or some more. My SIL used to be a PC consultant and she used to tell everyone this if they thought their stones were
renee.see
My fiance did a self clean on the oven WITH the baking stone inside. It doesn't use any chemicals...but now my stone is nice and clean...

Can I still use it?! Or is it ruined?

I have heard of people putting it through thier self cleaning oven and still use it. I would not put my stone through the self cleaniong oven incase it broke

If you put it through the self cleaning oven, it will "unseason" if that is a word. You can still use it but will have to reseason it again or some more.

My SIL used to be a PC consultant and she used to tell everyone this if they thought their stones were too seasoned or black. Don't know if it was PC advice at the time from HO or just from her cluster...she claimed it was PC advice though.

It is NOT PC advice!!!!! The self-cleaning cycle goes from cold to hot SO FAST that it can create hairline cracks. Remember, we tell our customers to let the stone cool down before running water over it. On another note, nothing is supposed to be in the oven when the self cleaning cycle runs.

I know consultants who do this to clean their stones. I don't do it though.

cmdtrgd said:
It is NOT PC advice!!!!! The self-cleaning cycle goes from cold to hot SO FAST that it can create hairline cracks. Remember, we tell our customers to let the stone cool down before running water over it. On another note, nothing is supposed to be in the oven when the self cleaning cycle runs.
Not even the oven racks!

REALLY?! Not even the racks? Uh oh!

Why would people want to un-season their stones?? I broke my large round stone and almost cried because I knew I'd get a new grey one and I'd have to work so hard to make it black!

speedychef said:
I know with my oven, it specifically says to take the racks out too. Otherwise, it will damage the finish on them. Instead of smooth and shiny they would get dull and pitted- not easy to slide items in and out on a rack like that!

Hope your racks AND your stone are alright!!

Also, when you use self cleaning cycle the oven will lock
If that stone catches on fire from the grease dripping it can cause a kitchen fire.

Teresa Lynn said:
Also, when you use self cleaning cycle the oven will lock
If that stone catches on fire from the grease dripping it can cause a kitchen fire.

That happened to me last month. The oven was beeping F2 over and over and I couldn't get the oven to turn off. Luckily my husband was home because he had to go to the circuit breaker in the basement to turn it off.
I had left my 8 yr old, beautifully seasoned stone in there by mistake and ruined! It was reaking of greasy smoke. I asked around and found out that if it had gone through the full cycle I might have been able to salvage it, but HO doesn't reccomend doing this.

I just tossed it. I wasn't going to chance being at a show and have my stone change the food's taste.

I know a woman that put her stones in the oven on the self-clean cycle and the oven caught fire and burned most of her kitchen. They had to tear down what was left and completely rebuild that part of the house. This is not recommended
and actually discouraged by the HO, because of the fire hazzard.

speedychef said:

Why would people want to un-season their stones?? I broke my large round stone and almost cried because I knew I'd get a new grey one and I'd have to work so hard to make it black!

I never did get why people would WANT to do that at all...

...and I'm sure PC does advise against it now...just don't know where it came from in the past or if it was a "cluster thing" or a policy that changed.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Q&A on CC with "myths" like this...or past advice that has changed and why so we can tell customers these things?

janetupnorth said:
Wouldn't it be nice to have a Q&A on CC with "myths" like this...or past advice that has changed and why so we can tell customers these things?
That is a great idea! Forward that onto HO!!!!

I second that! CC "Product Myths"

My first product myth would be "that everything has a lifetime warranty." I can't tell you how many times people come up to me with something broken expecting me to replace it.

Chefgirl2 said:
My first product myth would be "that everything has a lifetime warranty." I can't tell you how many times people come up to me with something broken expecting me to replace it.

Yeah, that's a pain in the patootie. I have had countless conversations with people who are "sure" that every product has a lifetime guarantee. :rolleyes:

KellyTheChef said:
That is a great idea! Forward that onto HO!!!!

Thought of it but haven't done it yet - will put it on my "to do" list for this weekend! :)

Doesn't Tupperware lifetime warranty everything? Maybe that's why they think we do.

Paige Dixon said:
Doesn't Tupperware lifetime warranty everything? Maybe that's why they think we do.
Yeah, but what good does it do if they no longer carry the item or make replacement parts for it? All you get is a little credit towards purchasing a replacement.

1. Can I use my baking stone after running a self-clean cycle on my oven?

Yes, you can still use your baking stone after running a self-clean cycle on your oven. However, it is important to properly clean and care for your baking stone before using it again.

2. Will the self-clean cycle damage my baking stone?

The self-clean cycle can potentially damage your baking stone if it is not made from a heat-resistant material. It is recommended to check the manufacturer's instructions or contact Pampered Chef for guidance on using a self-clean cycle with your specific baking stone.

3. How do I clean my baking stone after a self-clean cycle?

After a self-clean cycle, allow your baking stone to cool completely before handling. You can then use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe away any residue or debris. Avoid using soap or harsh chemicals, as they can be absorbed into the stone and affect the taste of your food.

4. What should I do if my baking stone appears cracked after a self-clean cycle?

If your baking stone shows signs of cracking after a self-clean cycle, it is best to discontinue use and contact Pampered Chef for a replacement. Cracks can affect the performance and safety of your baking stone.

5. How often should I run a self-clean cycle on my oven with a baking stone?

The frequency of self-clean cycles will depend on how often you use your oven and baking stone. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions for your specific oven model and to avoid running a self-clean cycle too frequently, as it can put unnecessary stress on your baking stone.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• identhobo
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
Replies
Views
JanisF
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies