• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Island Breeze Cake Worth the Risk of Falling on the Floor?

Oh...and I totally live by the 30 second rule too for my kids. As long as I pick it up within 30 seconds I'm golden!AnnWowwwww.....that's such a good tip to keep your kids off the floor. Thanks! ShawnnaWhat is your favorite cake recipe? I don't know...I've been so busy with work lately I haven't had much time to bake any more. We have a lot of big events
baychef
Silver Member
I love the name...but be VERY careful when you go to put the non stick torte pan on the non stick cooling rack!! My first one slid off the rack, off the kitchen table and up side down on the floor!:eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

Having no more of the cake ingredients, I guess it will be tomorrow before I can get some ingredients and quit salivating!!!

Hmmmmm...could this be where they got the "Breeze" part of the recipe name!!:D :D
Ann

When I put a pan to cool on the rack I always put the hot pad/trivet on there too to avoid this!!

baychef said:
Hmmmmm...could this be where they got the "Breeze" part of the recipe name!!:D :D
Ann

Bahahaha!!
And you couldn't scrape it up off the floor to eat?!?!?

That cake looks and sounds soo ymms! Can't wait to get my torte set to try it! Except cutting mangos seems so hard for me I just end up eating like an apple most of the time, any tips!???

Isn't there mango cutting tips in the SB, or just pineapple tips??

gilliandanielle said:

Theres Mango cutting tips on CC, with the knife demos...I think its with the Santoku....;)

In my house the dogs would be drunk on rum because the three of the would have scarfed up that cake in a heartbeat - No worries about cleaning the floor

This cake is DELISH! I made one last week to practice, and am making it for our large group meeting on Tuesday. The mangos I bought weren't super ripe, so the one I made was a little difficult to eat because the mango was a little hard. But I've got one for Tuesday on the counter getting nice a ripe. :)And if you can't find fresh mango, pick up a jar from the produce section - no peeling or pitting required.

Hey Ann, about how much did the ingredients cost total? Thanks!

I can't wait to try this cake. I made a lemon torte and can officially say I LOVE the torte pans. I was afraid because I didn't grease and flour, only greased the pan lightly and the cakes just popped right out!

dannyzmom said:
Bahahaha!!
Trust me...my bottomless pit boyfriend offered to still eat it!!!:eek: After I scooped up the hot torte with my dust pan...he had second thoughts!!! Plus...he was joking!
The funniest part was I was so in the mind set of doing this at a party that I had a split second of that panic feeling of...what am I going to demo now!!!:rolleyes: (Yes...I am blonde!!)
I don't have dogs to drink the rum...but once again...I had to warn my DB to stay out of the rum because it is for a recipe! DB is built like Jack Sprat and I am built like Jack Sprat's wife...fluffy!
Ann

mom2leelee said:
I can't wait to try this cake. I made a lemon torte and can officially say I LOVE the torte pans. I was afraid because I didn't grease and flour, only greased the pan lightly and the cakes just popped right out!
Mine popped right out of the pan too!!!! Bahahahah!!!

Ummm...are you sure you weren't sampling the rum before taking the pan out of the oven?!?

cmdtrgd said:
Ummm...are you sure you weren't sampling the rum before taking the pan out of the oven?!?
Believe it or not...no! But maybe that is the secret to having the recipe turning out!! I'll have to try that:D
Ann

Can you buy rum extract? If so, how would you substitute it for the rum. I don't drink and will not buy it...and my customer's would be offended if I gave them something with real booze in it.

Shawnna

baychef said:
Believe it or not...no! But maybe that is the secret to having the recipe turning out!! I'll have to try that:D
Ann

One sip for you... One splash for the cake.... One drink for you ... To Heck with the cake. ;) HAHAH!

There is always the 30 second rule ... as long as you pick it up within 30 seconds, it's safe!!!!:)

I totally live by that 30 second rule--especially with my kids....My 4yr old dropped something on the floor in the kitchen the other day and I just picked it up and put it back on her plate--she totally called me on it. She said "MY teacher said we don't eat stuff off the floor! yuck!" That teacher must not have kids! heheehe I finally got her to eat it by telling her that we do eat off our floor at home because it's clean(ha!) and the school floor is dirty. She probably went to school and told on me:) Just had to tell that story

Shawnna said:
Can you buy rum extract? If so, how would you substitute it for the rum. I don't drink and will not buy it...and my customer's would be offended if I gave them something with real booze in it.

Shawnna

Yes, Shawna, you can use rum extract. It tells this in the recipe tip area and it tells what amount you need to use.

The 30 second rule wouldn't apply to this disaster...it landed in a spot that let's say...on a quick sweep day...it doesn't get hit. And with a cat in the house there is a little extra fuzz!! Now if I had been drinking the rum...the 30 second rule MAY have applied. But if I had too much rum, it would have taken me much longer than 30 seconds to pick up this steaming hot cake!!:rolleyes:
Ann

baychef said:
Yes, Shawna, you can use rum extract. It tells this in the recipe tip area and it tells what amount you need to use.

The 30 second rule wouldn't apply to this disaster...it landed in a spot that let's say...on a quick sweep day...it doesn't get hit. And with a cat in the house there is a little extra fuzz!! Now if I had been drinking the rum...the 30 second rule MAY have applied. But if I had too much rum, it would have taken me much longer than 30 seconds to pick up this steaming hot cake!!:rolleyes:
Ann

LOL!! That is TOO funny! I have a boxer (the shedding type, not the fighting type..lol) so I TOTALLY understand how hairy the floor can get!!

GourmetGirl said:
Hey Ann, about how much did the ingredients cost total? Thanks!
Had to go find my receipt. :)

Mind you, I buy generics and use coupons when possible. That helps a LOT!

Kroger brand whipped topping, .79
Kroger brand coconut (enough for several cakes), 1.50
Kroger brand pineapple, .67
Duncan Heinz cake mix, 1.00
Kroger brand pudding mix, .50
Mango, 1.67 (fresh mango, not jarred)
Kiwi, .50
Total: 7.13

I didn't count the rum, eggs, oil, brown sugar, because there is very little of each used.

Unless you "lubricate" the chef liberally with the rum before starting the recipe! Then add several dollars for rum. :D

Shawnna said:

Shawnna

Yes you can buy rum extract. It's with vanilla, etc in the grocery store.

I love the fact that everything about PC is so different for everyone. All of my customers have been "drinkers." There's been wine, ****tails, and/or beer at all of my shows. My hosts always gravitate toward the recipes with alcohol in them! That rum cake is going to go over really well.

How to make Rum Balls (or in our case...cake)Step 1: Go buy Rum Ball ingredients...note:Lots of Rum
Step 2: Take a drink of Rum
Step 3: Soak your balls in Rum, then cook em'
Step 4: Take another 2 drinks of rum
Step 5: Set the degree at 375 ovens
Step 6: Take 3 more rums of drink
Step 7: Turn oven the on
Step 8: Take 4 rummys of drinky
Step 9: Bake your balls...
Step 10: Rums another bottle of get
Step 11: Stick a Shooter in the thermometer
Step 12: Glass yourself a pour of Rummy
Step 13: Bake the Rum for hours, I think
Step 14: Take the oven out of the Balls
Step 15: Take the oven out of the Bals
Step 16: Floor the Rum Balls up off of the pick
Step 17: Balls are a coolin'
Step 18: Get yourself another rooter of shum
Step 19: Shoot your balls and drink more Rum
Step 20: Store balls in airtight container, and eat the rum all up

dannyzmom said:
Bahahaha!!

See? I knew my obsessive bleach-mopping the kitchen floor everyday was for a purpose!

gilliandanielle said:

I saw them cut a mango in the instruction video on-line when they came out with the Forged Cutlery. I think it was the Santoku demo?

Shawnna said:

Shawnna
Thank you Shawna for asking....I was wondering the same thing... as a former pastors wife and in the church circle, rum itself would not be acceptable. :)

You guys are HILARIOUS!!! :D :D :D :D :D

I've made the cake twice now and i think the hardest part is cutting the mango. I'll have to watch that demo on the knife! Thanks!

lemon torte ??Katie,
Could you share the recipe for this??

Thanks,

Lisa

the back of the seasons best also has instructions on cutting a mango

I just did not like this cake! Everyone else at the party liked it - even took seconds. I couldn't get past the "rum" - it just seemed so strong. :( And I like RUM in my drinks! I even do Rum & (diet) coke. But for it to be in the cake really bothered me. I probably won't make it again...
Joanne

baychef said:
I love the name...but be VERY careful when you go to put the non stick torte pan on the non stick cooling rack!! My first one slid off the rack, off the kitchen table and up side down on the floor!:eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

Having no more of the cake ingredients, I guess it will be tomorrow before I can get some ingredients and quit salivating!!!

Ann

I would have just renamed it an Upside-Down Island Breeze Cake :)

ChefinHarmony said:
I just did not like this cake! Everyone else at the party liked it - even took seconds. I couldn't get past the "rum" - it just seemed so strong. :( And I like RUM in my drinks! I even do Rum & (diet) coke. But for it to be in the cake really bothered me. I probably won't make it again...
Joanne
Did you use real rum or rum extract? I used real rum (2 Tblsp. for filling and 2 more for the syrup) but with I noticed when you use extract, you only use 1 Tblsp. for the filling and 1 Tblsp. for the syrup.

I was just wondering because I really didn't taste the rum and was wondering if you used the extract. Perhaps the extract has a stronger rum flavor. I love rum drinks too and I only drink on rare occasions but I didn't seem to taste it. As many of my fellow cheffies might say...since I couldn't hang onto the cake...and now can't taste the rum...perhaps I have been sampling too much rum!!! Not the case, however!!:D

I found that it was such a pretty cake, but because the fresh mango is on the hard side, it was messy when cut and served. Guess I need to get pushy with the mango!!:rolleyes:

And Jason...good name for the "tossed torte"!!!! :)

Ann

baychef said:

Ann

Thanks, Ann for the warning!

We made this at CM last night. It was sooooo good but I am not a drinker (translation: cheap drunk) Definitely could taste the rum. Now I wish I had ordered the torte pans on my supply order. Maybe I will go check ebay (JUST KIDDING!) Valky

What would you think of using pineapple slices from a can, cut in half, for the top of the cake, rather than mangos? Another thought, why not use sliced peaches or nectarines which are much easier than mangos. I could even picture us doing strawberry slices and blueberries if carrying out the Tropical theme is not an issue. In the past, when I have purchased Mangos and pealed and sliced them, they are a messy fruit and costly to get enough slices to complete the number required for that cake.

I find that I modify or substitute in recipes I use at home, and would not hesitate to do that to keep the price down for my hostess. It gives us a chance to use the can opener if we use canned fruit. Just a thought for whatever it is worth!

Grandmarita said:
What would you think of using pineapple slices from a can, cut in half, for the top of the cake, rather than mangos? Another thought, why not use sliced peaches or nectarines which are much easier than mangos. I could even picture us doing strawberry slices and blueberries if carrying out the Tropical theme is not an issue. In the past, when I have purchased Mangos and pealed and sliced them, they are a messy fruit and costly to get enough slices to complete the number required for that cake.

I find that I modify or substitute in recipes I use at home, and would not hesitate to do that to keep the price down for my hostess. It gives us a chance to use the can opener if we use canned fruit. Just a thought for whatever it is worth!
Great ideas! The recipe called for 1 mango and I truly had enough to do the entire top. I used the vegetable peeler to peel it and just sliced it as they did in the demo. I think these ideas of using other fruit is wonderful. Also you could vary the filling if need be.
Must be my tastebuds are shot...I couldn't taste the rum. It smelled ever so slightly like banana but it did not have a banana taste. I like banana muffins and banana bread but other than that, I am not a banana fan.
Ann

I think that you really couldn't go wrong with just about any fruit on the top. It's such an easy and pretty presentation.

other variations:
Make a lemon cake, use lemon pudding for the filling, and top with blueberries.
Carrot cake with coconut and pineapple in the cake, cheesecake flavor filling, apricots on top (sprinkle the edge with finely chopped walnuts or toasted coconut)
Strawberry cake, vanilla filling, strawberries on top
Spice cake, vanilla (or the rum!) filling, sauteed apples (or apple pie filling) on top

mmm.... now I'm hungry.

Those variations sound great! Now you've got me hungry for dessert and it's only 10 am here!

Actually, with those variations, we can show how easy it is to whip up a "fancy" dessert in just a few minutes. Everyone should have a torte pan set. It bakes in very little time, and cools quickly. I don't know about you, but I usually have a cake mix or two in the cupboard from when they're on sale.

Here's another: make a cornbread one, and fill it with chili. Or taco meat.

Ann, you are quite the sales person. I already am kicking myself for not buying this on the supply order and I have also drained my PC account buying the stones that I didn't have. I guess I am going to have to get booking.

baychef said:
Did you use real rum or rum extract? I used real rum (2 Tblsp. for filling and 2 more for the syrup) but with I noticed when you use extract, you only use 1 Tblsp. for the filling and 1 Tblsp. for the syrup.

Ann

I used real, dark rum. And I was careful on the measurements. While cooking it, the smell was powerful. It looked awesome, but then when I tasted it - I couldn't eat it! I ate the fruit, that was it.

I was bummed with the taste. I actually wondered if extract would have less of a rum taste. Thanks for the advice!
Joanne

ChefinHarmony said:
I used real, dark rum. And I was careful on the measurements. While cooking it, the smell was powerful. It looked awesome, but then when I tasted it - I couldn't eat it! I ate the fruit, that was it.

I was bummed with the taste. I actually wondered if extract would have less of a rum taste. Thanks for the advice!
Joanne

Maybe I am having risidual effects from the PC cruise I went on in April of last year!!! I did drink a lot of rum (VERRRYYY unusual for me...unless we are talking about 25 years ago!!!)

I will have to make this again to see if I am missing something (hick!) I used the Bacardi gold (I think) It is golden in color and you can see through it.

Ann, awesome ideas for the tortes! I remember when we had the flan pans and there were lots of yummy recipes!
Ann

Now that I think about it, I bought Golden rum, not dark. So it has a lighter rum flavor than the dark would. Love this cake!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookingisfunagain
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • MamaChef
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
pckrissy
Replies