• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Booking Shore Excursions with Locals a Better Option for Cruise Travelers?

we went to the straw market and they wanted to charge us $75 each just to go in - we told them no, we'll just go back on the ship...and we did...The cruiseline tries to scare you from booking from the locals. How you don't know what you'll get, not guaranteed, etc. Well, we've found the locals charge MUCH less (sometimes more than 50% less), they give you the "local version" which we haven't had a bad one yet, and they'll take to you places that are really interesting...they are basically on YOUR time, not you on their time. If you want to shop more or less, see more, etc. The cruiseline
Gina M
Gold Member
So I'm turning the big 40 in August and me and 3 of my girlfriends (who are also turning 40 this year) - we just booked a 4 day cruise on Carnival to Nassau out of Miami. I'm so excited!! Something great to look forward to and with 3 of my best friends from college:) And we may take an shore excursion to Atlantis Resort as well.

Well Congrats & Happy early Birthday!

What a fun trip that will be.

How fun!! I am jealous...I am sure you will have a BLAST with all the girls!

OMG, how fun Gina! I've been on a few in my time and they are a BLAST! Have a great time!

I've been on two cruises in my life - one in 1988 (with my family) and the other in 1993 (for my honeymoon) - so I'm really looking forward to it - plus this is such a great group of friends - we have fun wherever we go!

I went on a cruise on the Mississippi River last Summer.

109831-M.jpg

That is very exciting, Gina and I am so happy for you!!!!!!

Gina M said:
And we may take an shore excursion to Atlantis Resort as well.

When we went to Nassau, we didn't book the excursion via the cruiseline...hired a local, cheaper and better!

Kitchen2u said:
When we went to Nassau, we didn't book the excursion via the cruiseline...hired a local, cheaper and better!

Good to know Ginny! I'll have to look into that.

I agree with Ginny we never book our excursions with the cruiseline we buy a travel book for the location we are going to and then research and book on our own

That is awesome for you - when I turned 40 (2 years ago) I celebrated the whole year - IT was MY year and I owned it!!;)

That is a perfect time with the girls - we went for a week to PR without kids or hubbies and by night 5 - we needed a little break from each other - we still had a blast but did decide at 45 we will do 3 night, 4 day trip!!

Have a blast!!!

Hey, that sounds great! You'll have a blast! I'm turning 40 in Nov., and my 2 best friends turn 40 in Oct., so mid-Oct. we're going to Vegas for 5 days - woohoo! :D

cathyskitchen said:
Hey, that sounds great! You'll have a blast! I'm turning 40 in Nov., and my 2 best friends turn 40 in Oct., so mid-Oct. we're going to Vegas for 5 days - woohoo! :D

That's cool Cathy - I so love Vegas - been there many times - for my 21st and 30th b-days. And many times in between and since! Always fun - I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Gina M said:
That's cool Cathy - I so love Vegas - been there many times - for my 21st and 30th b-days. And many times in between and since! Always fun - I'm sure you'll have a blast!

I've only been there once before with DH when we were dating. Can't wait to go with the girls this time!

I've never been on a cruise, so I'm a little jealous of your trip. Someday!

I just noticed we're both in Wave 3 for conference - we'll have to celebrate our 40th in Chicago together, too!! :D

That sounds like lots of fun Gina!! :) :) :) :)

cathyskitchen said:
I've only been there once before with DH when we were dating. Can't wait to go with the girls this time!

I've never been on a cruise, so I'm a little jealous of your trip. Someday!

I just noticed we're both in Wave 3 for conference - we'll have to celebrate our 40th in Chicago together, too!! :D

Sounds like a plan:)!

Oh how fun Gina, you girls are going to have fun. That cruise ship will never be the same :)

Teresa Lynn said:
I agree with Ginny we never book our excursions with the cruiseline we buy a travel book for the location we are going to and then research and book on our own

The cruiseline tries to scare you from booking from the locals. How you don't know what you'll get, not guaranteed, etc. Well, we've found the locals charge MUCH less (sometimes more than 50% less), they give you the "local version" which we haven't had a bad one yet, and they'll take to you places that are really interesting...they are basically on YOUR time, not you on their time. If you want to shop more or less, see more, etc. The cruiseline tour we took on our first cruise (didn't know better)...we couldn't hear the chaperone or understand her since her accent was so heavy.

The locals NEED your money...so they are going to please you so you tell others to do the same when they go there...like I am you. They aren't going to screw you over.

HINT, when you "tender" or land in port, get hooked up with a local ASAP. They will not leave until their van is full. If you wait until later in the day...you chance not going if they can't fill their van.

Related to Is Booking Shore Excursions with Locals a Better Option for Cruise Travelers?

1. What are some essential items to bring on a cruise?

Some essential items to bring on a cruise include sunscreen, comfortable shoes for walking on the ship, formal attire for dinner, a refillable water bottle, and any necessary medications.

2. Can I bring my own alcohol on the cruise?

Most cruise lines do not allow passengers to bring their own alcohol on board, but some may allow a limited amount of bottles for special occasions. It's best to check with your specific cruise line for their policies.

3. Is there a dress code for dinner on the cruise?

Most cruise lines have a dress code for dinner in the main dining room, which usually includes formal, semi-formal, and casual nights. It's best to check with your specific cruise line for their dress code guidelines.

4. Are there any activities for children on the cruise?

Most cruise lines have a variety of activities and programs for children of all ages, including kids clubs, pools, and themed events. It's best to check with your specific cruise line for their offerings and age restrictions.

5. Do I need to purchase travel insurance for the cruise?

While it's not required, it's highly recommended to purchase travel insurance for a cruise. This can protect you in case of unexpected events, such as flight delays or cancellations, medical emergencies, and lost or damaged luggage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
rennea
  • hmolah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
Replies
Views
dianevill