• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Investigating Sales of Over-priced Item: Have You Sold Any?

In summary, the people reviewing these items do not like them and think the price is too high for what you get.
leftymac
I'm sure we've had this discussion before, but I'm a regular and haven't seen it anytime recently.

I think this is the most ridiculously over-priced item in the catalog. I actually bought it back when I hosted a show before I was a consultant. Seriously..nearly $40 for four plastic bowls? I don't even like that they nest..it's a pain to get to the largest colander.

So, the reason for the post is that I want people to run sales reports in P3 and report how many of these items they have sold. I've sold zero. :)

leftymac said:
So, the reason for the post is that I want people to run sales reports in P3 and report how many of these items they have sold. I've sold zero. :)

I, too, have sold zero.

Like your new signature .. something about learning to shimmy like your sister Kate?

RMDave said:
I, too, have sold zero.

Like your new signature .. something about learning to shimmy like your sister Kate?

My sister Kate?

The only Sister Kate I know is the old sitcom about a nun with the theme song sung by the one and only beautiful and talented Amy Grant.

I love these and use them all the time!

I've sold:

Old style - 11
Current style - 7

Well I guess that pamperedlinda has been successful with the 40 dollar items .. you're such a Negative Nancy, lefty .. righty?

pamperedlinda said:
I love these and use them all the time!

I've sold:

Old style - 11
Current style - 7

How do you seriously convince people to spend $40 on plastic bowls?

I have only sold 2

leftymac said:

Hasn't the entire Tupperware industry been built on selling plastic bowls for $40?

Sheesh.

RMDave said:
Hasn't the entire Tupperware industry been built on selling plastic bowls for $40?

Sheesh.

As my friends used to say, "Buuurrrnnnn..."
I agree Dave!! Tupperware is basically just overpriced plastic bowls!

I'm not a super gung-ho consultant - so I don't know if you should put too much weight on my feedback, but I've got a big fat ZERO, too.

My new set is in my gift box...I have 2 of the old sets and I like them. However, they do take up a lot of room in the cabinet. I will say that I rarely use the large bowl/collander for anything besides popcorn...lol...but I use the smaller ones a lot. I have not sold any of either set.

Zero for me.

I love them - I have sold

old style - 10
new style - 2

In defense of the new style - I haven't been very active lately. I mean really, I haven't done an actual live show since August - I've been surviving on catalog shows and individual orders during two moves and my husband just deployed. I may actually have a show next month!

I like them and use them a lot and have sold quite a few but since we came out with the stainless set I carry that and people are loving them!

old colander & bowl set 28
new colander & bowl set 7
stainless set 9

See, it just comes down to loving the product. If you don't love it, you're not going to be able to sell it very well.

Yeah Noora, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have sold maybe 2? The only thing I love love love mine for is soaking pinto beans. I leave the colander in the bowl and soak, pick up, dump out the dirty water, repeat.

I have sold some of these.
27 of the older ones
4 new ones

Not crazy about them myself as I find I only use the 2 colanders. I love the little one for thawing frozen shrimp or half a bag of peas for salads.

I store the colanders separately from the bowls. I love the small colander, good for draining and rinsing canned beans, thawing frozen shrimp... The rest of the items in the set I can use substitutes for. No one even mentioned the lids. If they sold the small colander all by itself, I'd be happy.

I sell what I use at shows. I don't use these at shows very often, so I probably haven't sold many. Whatever...

I haven't sold any.

I use the small colander at home quite a bit.

The large bowl is (WARNING - TMI COMING!)......

Our "Puke Pan" when DS is sick.:D

Good idea! We have that going on today with my daughter. The bowl is a lot better looking than the old bucket.

small bowl & colander yes.

The thing I like about the bowl and colander set is the fact that they are companion bowls for the strainers. I hate when I rinse off something and then it's still dripping. So I set it in the bowls and then it's still lifts the food up and out of excess water, and it looks good because the colanders nest really well in them. The bowls are so slick, too. It's so easy to clean them.

leftymac said:

I don't even talk about them at my shows, but they sell.

I don't feel like I convince people to buy anything. I simply convince them that they are lucky I am willing to sell them such great tools! :)

babywings76 said:
The thing I like about the bowl and colander set is the fact that they are companion bowls for the strainers. I hate when I rinse off something and then it's still dripping. So I set it in the bowls and then it's still lifts the food up and out of excess water, and it looks good because the colanders nest really well in them. The bowls are so slick, too. It's so easy to clean them.

I have a customer that just called, wanting to exchange her colander & bowl set for something else. She said the whole reason she bought them was because she could put the colander in the bowl (like mentioned above) and then put the lid on top. She said the lid doesn't fit on the bowl when the colander is in the bowl. Is this correct?

I'm thinking I might suggest she consider exchanging it for the salad & berry spinner - it sounds like that might be more of what she is looking for.

Thanks for anyone's thoughts :)

krahema said:
I have a customer that just called, wanting to exchange her colander & bowl set for something else. She said the whole reason she bought them was because she could put the colander in the bowl (like mentioned above) and then put the lid on top. She said the lid doesn't fit on the bowl when the colander is in the bowl. Is this correct?

I'm thinking I might suggest she consider exchanging it for the salad & berry spinner - it sounds like that might be more of what she is looking for.

I hardly ever use the lids, :blushing: so I'm not sure. I'll have to go see. I usually just keep the lids underneath the stack of bowls.

The Salad & Berry Spinner is very different, though. You'd have to see what your customer's needs are and what works best. The S&B spinner gets you 2 colanders, but just one huge bowl. And the lid is a little heavy and cumbersome. (I wish we made just a plastic lid that we could use interchangeably with this. Because I like to use the bowl to serve salads in and hate having to cover it with the big lid or use saran wrap.)

krahema said:

That was true with the older style colander and bowl set, but it's not with the newer version.

ChefBeckyD said:
That was true with the older style colander and bowl set, but it's not with the newer version.

Even with the new version, the lid doesn't quite fit shut if the colander is in the bowl. They nest for storage, but my lid doesn't snap shut if they're all nested together.

beckyjsmith said:
Yeah Noora, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have sold maybe 2? The only thing I love love love mine for is soaking pinto beans. I leave the colander in the bowl and soak, pick up, dump out the dirty water, repeat.

I use my salad spinner for that!!:blushing:

I like the fact that the wire strainers fit inside the corresponding size stainless bowl (can't put the lid on it though). I don't soak my pintos in them though. I read something somewhere about not using cast iron or something when making pintos, so avoid metal altogether (I cook mine in the crock pot).

And about tupperware, you get what you pay for. I still have some from when we lived on Okinawa (had to store all our dry goods in them because of bugs), and we left Oki in 1998. Lids still fit and they are not stained or have those melty lines around them like some of the cheaper ones do.

Oh, and I haven't sold any of the plastic strainer/bowl sets. Have sold some of the stainless mixing bowls though

Last edited:
NooraK said:
Even with the new version, the lid doesn't quite fit shut if the colander is in the bowl. They nest for storage, but my lid doesn't snap shut if they're all nested together.

Right - that's what I was saying. On my old set (MUCH nicer IMO) I can put the lid on when it's nesting.

I've sold 10 of the colander/bowl sets and 21 of the stainless mesh colanders. They are really out of sight in the spirng/summer 10 catalog. you have to really search for them, which won't help sales this season.

I have only sold 5 . I don't take them to shows or really talk about them.

RMDave said:
Hasn't the entire Tupperware industry been built on selling plastic bowls for $40? Sheesh.

WHAT?! You found a TW bowl for $40?! That's low for them!

I love these and sell them when I take them to shows. I try to sell the value -- you get 6 pieces -- 2 strainers and 2 bowls plus 2 lids -- so if you divide 39 by 6 = $6.50 a piece, including lids. These bowls are also great because they have the non-skid bottom, and are dishwasher safe. I've never had mine stain like other bowls. I use them all the time! :) Give them a chance!

Sharon...wanted to take a moment to thank you and your husband for serving!

I have sold zero. I have gotten a set for myself I love but I do have mixed feelings about the size of the large bowl.

1. How much does the "Investigating Sales of Over-priced Item" cost?

The "Investigating Sales of Over-priced Item" costs nearly $40 for a set of four plastic bowls.

2. Do the bowls nest?

Yes, the bowls do nest, although some customers find it a bit of a hassle to get to the largest colander in the set.

3. Have you personally sold any of the "Investigating Sales of Over-priced Item"?

No, I have not personally sold any of the "Investigating Sales of Over-priced Item".

4. Can you run sales reports in P3 to track the number of "Investigating Sales of Over-priced Item" sold?

Yes, you can run sales reports in P3 to track the number of "Investigating Sales of Over-priced Item" sold. This can help you track the success of this particular item in your business.

5. Do you think the "Investigating Sales of Over-priced Item" is the most over-priced item in the catalog?

I cannot speak for others, but personally, I believe the "Investigating Sales of Over-priced Item" is one of the most over-priced items in the catalog. However, opinions may vary among customers and consultants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lockhartkitchen
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
natural
  • kcmckay
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
Sheilainwv
  • kcmckay