• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Induction Cooktop - Does Anyone Have One?

Interesting. Does a magnet stick to your Executive Cookware?i dont think so i think mine is a hybrid i'd have to look for the manual left is for exec and professional right burners stainlessIn summary, the cookware that PC offers won't work with induction cooktops, but the all-clad stainless cookware does.
BeckyC5830
I'm entertaining the thought of putting in an Induction Cooktop. I'd love to hear from people who have them - why they chose induction and what they do and don't like about it. The one drag is that our Executive Cookware won't work on it, but our Stainless will. I'll just have to learn to cook all over again on stainless if I go with induction.

I can use both on mine
mine is an Electrolux

Teresa Lynn said:
I can use both on mine
mine is an Electrolux

Interesting. Does a magnet stick to your Executive Cookware?

i dont think so i think mine is a hybrid i'd have to look for the manual left is for exec and professional right burners stainless

I just saw a contest for an induction cooktop (I can't remember what company, but it was on facebook) and it said that the induction cooktop worked on stainless and non-stick cookware.

Theresa, Thanks for the information. I know that some non-stick cookware will work on the induction. All-Clad actually makes stainless cookware with a non-stick coating. When talking to the women at Wm Sonoma they suggested just to buy a non-stick coated stainless fry pan for eggs and stick with the stainless for the rest of the cooking -- I think that's good advice. Otherwise Lodge and LeCruset work well and are non-stick and will work on induction.

MagentaBlue - I'm just about ready to research the different brands and will search them on FB too and enter their contest. Thanks for the tip.

That's what the military has on our base in northern Japan. It's the first time I've ever used one, but I'm happy with the results.Tricia (one of our fellow cheffers) told me that the one in her apartment warped the bottom of her PC Executive cookware. I was shocked! I didn't know it could/would do that. So far, I haven't had any issues with my Executive line. I have mostly stainless, but do have a lot of the Executive too. PC is the only cookware we use. All the other pots/pans went to to the donate bin. So I use the PC cookware on mine regularly. I've only been stateside for a week, but man am I missing my PC filled kitchen!!! :(

Sheila said:
That's what the military has on our base in northern Japan. It's the first time I've ever used one, but I'm happy with the results.

Tricia (one of our fellow cheffers) told me that the one in her apartment warped the bottom of her PC Executive cookware. I was shocked! I didn't know it could/would do that. So far, I haven't had any issues with my Executive line. I have mostly stainless, but do have a lot of the Executive too. PC is the only cookware we use. All the other pots/pans went to to the donate bin. So I use the PC cookware on mine regularly. I've only been stateside for a week, but man am I missing my PC filled kitchen!!! :(

First of all, welcome back to the states Sheila! I've been reading about your journey from Japan to Texas and you are an amazing, strong woman. Thank you to both you and your husband for all you do for our country.

It's really good to hear that the PC Executive line worked on your induction cooktop - and at the same time I'm amazed because it shouldn't because a 'magnet' doesn't stick to the cookware. That gives me hope of not purchasing non-stick stainless pieces. I think I'm going to bring some of my Executive and Stainless pieces to the appliance store and try them out in their demo kitchen - which the owner of the store invited me to do. Maybe do a little PC advertising too. Thanks again for your input!

Thanks!But I'm lost. What does a magnet have to do with it? Call me old - these are new stoves to me! I've been in Japan a while with a regular old electric stove. ;) LOL

Sheila said:
Thanks!

But I'm lost. What does a magnet have to do with it? Call me old - these are new stoves to me! I've been in Japan a while with a regular old electric stove. ;) LOL

If the magnet sticks to the bottom of the cookware it means there is steel present in the manufacturing of the cookware. If the magnet doesn't stick, there is no steel and it's not suppose to work on an induction cooktop. The magnetic force/field of the cooktop is what heats up the pan and not the cooktop. HTH

A magnet doesn't stick to my finger but it will sure burn if I touch the top. :D

I was looking to put in an induction cook top when we do my kitchen remodel. I called HO and they told me that the Executive set will not work on an induction cook top.

I still haven't decided to go with the induction cook top and change pans:mad: , or just stick with my pans and just go with an electric cook top.:(

Keep us posted on what you do and how it works out for you!

that's why I chose a hybrid
I can use all 4 sets of my PC cookware yes I still have pieces of my original gen II

Induction heating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Induction heating is the process of heating an electrically conducting object (usually a metal) by electromagnetic induction, where eddy currents (also called Foucault currents) are generated within the metal and resistance leads to Joule heating of the metal. An induction heater (for any process) consists of an electromagnet, through which a high-frequency alternating current (AC) is passed. Heat may also be generated by magnetic hysteresis losses in materials that have significant relative permeability. The frequency of AC used depends on the object size, material type, coupling (between the work coil and the object to be heated) and the penetration depth.

In induction cooking, an induction coil in the cook-top heats the iron base of cookware. Copper bottomed pans, aluminium pans and other non-ferrous pans are generally unsuitable.

The heat induced in the base is transferred to the food via conduction. Benefits of induction cookers include efficiency, safety (the induction cook-top is not heated itself) and speed. Drawbacks include the fact that non-metallic cookware such as glass and ceramic cannot be used on an induction cook-top. Both installed and portable induction cookers are available.

I added the bold for emphasis. It sounds like the one Sheila had in Japan may be a hybrid, if the cooktop got hot enough to burn her.

Not sure. But I know if you take a wet paper towel to it while it's still hot it will sizzle & steam! :D

Sheila said:
Not sure. But I know if you take a wet paper towel to it while it's still hot it will sizzle & steam! :D

Then it's not just an induction cooktop. A true induction cooktop won't get hot, just the Pan will.

When the salesman demonstrated the induction cooktop the other day he boiled a pan of water with it. The cooktop was warm from the heat of the pan, but not so warm that we couldn't put our hand on it. I know with my ceramic cooktop without electric and halogen coils if I put a wet papertowel on it it will sizzle and steam too -- I've done this many times cleaning up boilovers.... :rolleyes:

I received a call from a customer who is planning to purchase an induction cook top. She has the Professional Cookware. Does anyone know if it can be used on the cook top and not get damaged?

Would not even go there. The Professional set was like the Executive set. I think it was an aluminum center not titanium so it should not work. And again, it may warp. (Or I might be!) But I am thinking it will not work. Best way tot tell, have the person stick a magnet on the bottom. If it will not stick, it will not work.

not sure if this is true- BUT a guest at another show she had attended said...- the host had induction and the consultant was making a skillet dish - and our s/s pans would not work!

that is what the guest told me- anyone else hear of that?

1. What is an induction cooktop?

An induction cooktop is a cooking appliance that uses electromagnetic currents to heat up cookware. Unlike traditional stovetops that use direct heat, induction cooktops heat up the cookware directly, making them faster and more energy-efficient.

2. How does an induction cooktop work?

Induction cooktops use a magnetic field to transfer heat directly to the cookware. When the cookware is placed on the cooktop, an electric current is created, and the cookware itself becomes the heating element. This allows for precise and even heating, making it a popular choice among chefs.

3. Are there any safety concerns with induction cooktops?

Induction cooktops are generally considered to be safer than traditional stovetops. Since the heat is only generated in the cookware, the cooktop surface remains cool to the touch. This reduces the risk of burns and also makes it easier to clean up spills.

4. Do I need special cookware for an induction cooktop?

Yes, you will need cookware that is specifically designed for use with induction cooktops. This cookware must be made of magnetic materials such as stainless steel or cast iron in order to work with the magnetic currents. Non-magnetic cookware, such as aluminum or copper, will not work on an induction cooktop.

5. Are induction cooktops more expensive than traditional stovetops?

Induction cooktops can be more expensive upfront compared to traditional stovetops. However, they are more energy-efficient, which can save you money on your electricity bill in the long run. Additionally, the precise and even heating of induction cooktops can reduce cooking times and potentially save you money on ingredients.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cntrygirl'skitchen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • foodygirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • Debala715