• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I'm Workin' It, but It Still Isn't Working

In summary, Jackie was trying to find a way to keep her business afloat and was having a lot of difficulty. She had tried a variety of methods, including a booth at a Farmer's Market, but had not had any success. She was also considering doing a show for a client, but was unsure if she could pull it off.
linojackie
I feel like I'm about to commit PC suicide and I need to be talked off the ledge.

I have not done a party since the first week of August. I will get emails and calls for little piddly $15-$20 orders but they're never enough to make a full party and I end up spending more than I make in direct shipping.

I'm sending out my newsletter, I am asking everyone, I carry my bag, I hand out business cards, I go door-to-door with flyers and catalogs, I'm calling all my past hosts and anyone who may have checked MAYBE, I'm even calling those who checked no! I'm just tired of talking to machines (darn this caller ID!!!)

I tried the Pamper a business at 4 places and got a total of $60 in orders. I'm beginning to see people will take your food and just not order anything. I can't keep spending money on booths where people take my catalogs but don't want to leave info to follow up and I never hear from them again.

I can't just say it's the economy because some people are having their best months ever. It's got to be me, but I don't know what else to (or not) do! I love this company and the products and I still want to sell, but I'm losing my Future Directorship this month and I have NOTHING on my calendar at all. Pretty soon I'll be inactive and I'll lose my career sales too.

I'm not sure if this is just a rant, or if I need advice or words of encouragement or what. Sorry it's so long, but I just don't know what else to do.

As I mentioned in another thread, try to get a booth in a vendor Fair, Fall Festival, or Farmer's Market. Last weekend, I got 6 DATED shows on my schedule from the Farmer's Market. It enables you to see lots of people in a short period of time, and also, I know this might be hard, when you ARE desperate, but try to not to appear desperate. I do not have a drawing at all, I just speak to people, establish a relationship, they pretty much have been asking me if I will do a show for them. I have the hostess specials out, and also the flyer of hostess benefits.

mrssyvo said:
As I mentioned in another thread, try to get a booth in a vendor Fair, Fall Festival, or Farmer's Market. Last weekend, I got 6 DATED shows on my schedule from the Farmer's Market. It enables you to see lots of people in a short period of time, and also, I know this might be hard, when you ARE desperate, but try to not to appear desperate. I do not have a drawing at all, I just speak to people, establish a relationship, they pretty much have been asking me if I will do a show for them. I have the hostess specials out, and also the flyer of hostess benefits.

I have a weekly booth at a Farmer's Market and have a couple potential booths for the school harvest festivals, but that's $85 between them and I think I made $40 this month....I have been taking a little cash n' carry, so I'm making some of it back, but not enough to cover it.

Jackie-
Don't give up!!!

I know exactly how you feel. I have not done a show since the middle of August and was very discouraged. I had 4 shows cancel on me in September. I know that you don't want to hear just keep plugging away, but honestly it will pay off. I did a fall festival in the middle of September, and just last week 3 of the people who came to the booth booked a show, granted I had to call more than 1 time to get them, but I got them and now my November is looking great!

Good Luck!!! :)

Regarding yoru Farmer's Market- is there a lot of traffic at your market? Are you out front of the booth, talking to people as they go by? Last weekend, I did $600 in Sales, and booked 6 shows, between 2 days. (8am to 1PM) It could be the area, I do not know, but I know that the Farmer's Market here has caused my business to BOOM!!!!!

I had a big $0 in July, then $275 in August, then $760 this month! I did a Fair Booth last weekend and got 8 potential hosts. I have one confirmed booking for November 10th and talked to 2 more ladies today who want October Shows. I gave them both my "available" dates and they are going to call me back next week to get them in place. I have 5 more to call! I did the "You won the Free Show" voicemail and two of the ladies I talked to are thrilled about it! One lady even told the teachers at the elementary school she teaches at that she won and asked them when they wanted her to do the Show! I have 5 more to reach on the Free Shows for October and November. I am hitting the phones like never before. I am also going to call some of my previous Hosts to see about them. One of my previous Hosts just did a catalog show for me and it closed at $602!

I have found one very successful way I have gotten myself "out there" is doing Kids in the Kitchen Workshops. It's "all about the kids" and they love it. I had 3 at one in July, 10 in September, 16 coming to 2 in October (added another time because it was so popular), and 10 already coming in November. I have also scheduled a December one. I got $150 in orders from the September one! It's working because I have now expanded my customer base by 21 people I didn't know!

I have put a lot of prayer into my Shows/Scheduling lately. I also said that in my newsletter to my customers. My Hospitality Director here (who is absolutely the best ever) said that we may be the only "Jesus" some people see! I have asked some of my Sisters in Christ to pray for me about getting Shows.

I have heard "the economy" thing too but some ideas on here and from my HD have spurred me to say the "you can cook cheaper at home"... "Our DCB makes fantastic chicken, roast, meatloaf, and other great dishes!" "You cook healthier in our stoneware and cookware."

Push yourself to get out and meet new people! I have another book on the 18th and am excited to meet more people there! I wear my logo t-shirt and carry my tote bag with the "catalog pouch" on the front everywhere! I have a potential recruit who has already talked to my HD here who saw me in Chick-Fil-A and she is trying to find something to do that will bring in $600 a month so she can stay home with her kids! She told my HD she knew of 6 people who would have a show for her in the next month! I want her signed NOW but it will have to be God's timing!

All this to say, hang in there! I know that is hard to say, but I am at 11 months in the business and have finally "broke in" to some groups around here that will help me!

mrssyvo said:
Regarding yoru Farmer's Market- is there a lot of traffic at your market? Are you out front of the booth, talking to people as they go by? Last weekend, I did $600 in Sales, and booked 6 shows, between 2 days. (8am to 1PM) It could be the area, I do not know, but I know that the Farmer's Market here has caused my business to BOOM!!!!!

Sue, tell us what you are saying to people to get the sales and bookings.

Sue...How do I do that?? I have a booth coming up on the 11th and another on the 25th. What do you say to people to make them want to book a show? I was going to have a spot at my booth that says "Book a show with me today and earn an extra free gift when you hold your show" and have some business cards with scratch off circles on the back, under the circles will be item like micro-cooker, pizza cutter, etc that they will get when their show holds. You sound like you don't have to do any extra enticing...I want to be able to do that!! :)

Don't give up Jackie. There are hundreds of great postings in the booking threads (to include the responses here). When I feel I need a boost, I log in and start reading like crazy.

Last edited:
legacypc46 said:
Don't give up Jackie. There are hundreds of great postings in the booking threads. (When I feel I need a boost, I log in and start reading.)

And we are still waiting for your thoughts on the working with the economy thread.

DirtDOG.gif

:D:p

Ooooh.....duly chastised...heading over there now.:)

I make sure that I engage each person that comes by my tent- I offer recipe cards, ask them if they have seen the "new piece of stoneware that is taking the kitchen by storm", I ask them what their favorite Pampered Chef product is (thanks, Ruthie,LOL), I invite them to come see what is new with The Pampered Chef (there is always something new)I mix it up, because I do not want to sound like a broken record.

Once they are there, I engage them in conversation. It is really just about being personable- If my DH is with me (He comes along sometimes, if we have not seen each other much during the week) He is always cracking jokes, etc, and everyone just has a great time. I make sure that I have the Hostess specials there, on display for the months I want to book- This Sunday, I will bring the Trifle Bowl, with leaves in it) because I still have December dates to fill. I will also have my recipes for the Trifle bowl available, I want them to see the value of owning it. There is always someone stopping by with a problem- I explain how to contact Home Office, or I help if I can (ordering replacement parts, etc) I think that is the secret, just being real, and letting everyone know that you are there to help, you have something to offer, and they will have fun if they book with you, or join your team.

I have a plastic display with literature out, and I have the Hostess Benefits flyer handy, and I just ask people, can you believe how much we pamepred our hostesses? I always have recruiting info there, If it is a Sunday, I ask them if they are looking forward to work tomorrow, etc. It is really just about having fun, and engaging people. On Saturdays in Crown Point, they have a band of sorts, that sets up in the middle of the street, 4 old men, playing, and people dance, kids dancing, it is like a party. Last night, I had a show with someone I met at the Farmer's Market, and we had so much fun!!! She told her guests during the show, "I just knew it would be this fun!!!" It was all based on how I engaged her at the Farmer's Market.

Also, There are other direct sales booths there at the Sunday Market( Lia Sophia, Tastefully Simple, etc) and most of them just sit there, reading the paper, etc, and I noticed that not as many people stop by their booth- I do not take anything to read, EVER!!!! I am always ready for business!!!

I think that is a main part of my problem. People don't think I'm fun... In fact, I have the kind of face that people think I'm "mean" on first impression. I'll have to remember that and try to smile more often!

mrssyvo said:
I make sure that I engage each person that comes by my tent- I offer recipe cards, ask them if they have seen the "new piece of stoneware that is taking the kitchen by storm", I ask them what their favorite Pampered Chef product is (thanks, Ruthie,LOL), I invite them to come see what is new with The Pampered Chef (there is always something new)I mix it up, because I do not want to sound like a broken record.

Once they are there, I engage them in conversation. It is really just about being personable- If my DH is with me (He comes along sometimes, if we have not seen each other much during the week) He is always cracking jokes, etc, and everyone just has a great time. I make sure that I have the Hostess specials there, on display for the months I want to book- This Sunday, I will bring the Trifle Bowl, with leaves in it) because I still have December dates to fill. I will also have my recipes for the Trifle bowl available, I want them to see the value of owning it. There is always someone stopping by with a problem- I explain how to contact Home Office, or I help if I can (ordering replacement parts, etc) I think that is the secret, just being real, and letting everyone know that you are there to help, you have something to offer, and they will have fun if they book with you, or join your team.

I have a plastic display with literature out, and I have the Hostess Benefits flyer handy, and I just ask people, can you believe how much we pamepred our hostesses? I always have recruiting info there, If it is a Sunday, I ask them if they are looking forward to work tomorrow, etc. It is really just about having fun, and engaging people. On Saturdays in Crown Point, they have a band of sorts, that sets up in the middle of the street, 4 old men, playing, and people dance, kids dancing, it is like a party. Last night, I had a show with someone I met at the Farmer's Market, and we had so much fun!!! She told her guests during the show, "I just knew it would be this fun!!!" It was all based on how I engaged her at the Farmer's Market.

Also, There are other direct sales booths there at the Sunday Market( Lia Sophia, Tastefully Simple, etc) and most of them just sit there, reading the paper, etc, and I noticed that not as many people stop by their booth- I do not take anything to read, EVER!!!! I am always ready for business!!!
You and me would have a blast at an event!

My fall season is mostly events, and I love to work the crowd!

I also get invited to Open Houses and Housewarming parties because people know I'll be fun, engaging, and bring people with me to the the events...

Another thing I noticed is other vendors don't socialize with the other vendors, as soon as my table is set up - I'm gone walking around to each and every vendor introducing myself and talking about my specials by the time the event has started I usually have $150 in sales just from the other vendors!

And I am in front of my booth - i never even bring a chair, because once I sit down my energy goes down as well. and I'm exhausted by the end of the day, but orders and bookings are totally worth it to me..

One thing that drives me nuts is when other direct sales people send out those emails saying, "I need xxx amount of sales to stay active this month", or "I need someone to host a show this month or I'll go inactive"

nothing turns me off more when they do that

I would rather that someone call me and pick my brain for ideas, or ask if i know of any events in the area etc. then I know to be on the lookout for them, and I can help them that way or if I have some time I can host a show for them, but they have to call me not send one of those desperate emails.

How much are you spending on your booth events? I got it down to a science and I keep my fair box up to date most of the time, I spend about $50 total (this includes my booth fee) I don't count gas, because I drive all over the place anyways so to nit-pick my gas is a waste of time.

For 1 FM, It was $100 for the entire season (just $5 a week) and the other was $250 for the season- Season runs from May to end of October.

For the Christmas Walk I am doing inNovember- it was $35 for 2 full days, The Fall festival In October was $35 for the day, 9 am to 6PM. WELL worth the investment.

I do think the economy has something to do with it and I also think it depends on where you live. I have five consultant friends in the same area as me and some that have been at it for years and years and they are saying the same thing. this is the worst time in their business. Also, what we are noticing is more people that are going to parties and not buying anything..

If you love the business then dont give up, just keep working at it. I am sure it will pay off.

Well, the area that I live in is not an affluent neighborhood. It's close to the county seat, and I've heard that a lot of the people here are on disability or some sort of government assistance. So it's pretty safe to assume that not many people have extra money to spend.

What I am hearing is, "I can't attend or host another show!" I live in a military town, a lot of military wives are SAHM and many are now looking to DS for extra money for their families. The show I did last night I did get two bookings off of but thats out of 17 people that attended, the other 15 all said the exact same thing... I have been to too many shows in the last month or I have already hosted a show in the last month for another DS company. Of course if I do a show off post it is not as bad, it just seems to be concentrated in certain areas. I am hoping that this "slump" will pass but my calendar is looking slim right now as well.

1. Why isn't my dish turning out correctly even though I followed the recipe?

There could be a few reasons why your dish isn't turning out as expected. One possibility is that your oven temperature may be off, causing the dish to cook at a different rate. Another reason could be that your ingredients are not the same quality as those used in the recipe. Make sure to use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best results. Lastly, it could be a technique issue. Be sure to follow the instructions closely and make any necessary adjustments to your cooking methods.

2. How can I prevent my food from sticking to the pan?

To prevent food from sticking to the pan, make sure to properly season your pan before cooking. You can also try using a non-stick cooking spray or adding a small amount of oil to the pan before cooking. Another tip is to let the pan heat up before adding your ingredients, as this will create a barrier between the food and the pan.

3. My baked goods keep burning on the bottom. What am I doing wrong?

If your baked goods are burning on the bottom, it could be due to an issue with your oven temperature or the type of pan you are using. Make sure to preheat your oven to the correct temperature and use a light-colored pan, as dark pans tend to absorb more heat and can result in burnt bottoms. You can also try placing a baking sheet on the lower rack to act as a shield for the bottom of your baked goods.

4. How can I make sure my vegetables cook evenly?

To ensure even cooking of vegetables, make sure to cut them into similar sizes. This will help them cook at the same rate. You can also try arranging them in a single layer on the pan and flipping them halfway through cooking. Another tip is to preheat your pan before adding the vegetables, as this will help them cook more quickly and evenly.

5. What should I do if my meat is dry and tough?

If your meat is turning out dry and tough, it could be due to overcooking or using a lean cut of meat. Make sure to follow the recommended cooking time for the specific type of meat you are using. You can also try using a meat thermometer to ensure the meat is cooked to the correct temperature. If using a lean cut of meat, consider marinating it beforehand or using a cooking method that adds moisture, such as braising or slow cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefrhondab
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • cheflorraine
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies