• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Want Thick and Fluffy Pancakes! Help!

:D) His show is awesome!! Everytime I see him, I am literally jealous, because he has such a beautiful home. I have to stiffen myself and not go all "Jane" on him!I love Alton too! I just thought it was one of those things where if you are into cooking, you have to do that show. I never thought it would be an appealing show to me. He seems like such a nice guy, though. I have only seen it
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
I LOVE :love::love::love: IHOP's pancakes! I am searching for the perfect recipe like theirs...thick, yet fluffy. Every recipe I have tried turns out too thin...

I found a really good recipe on Allrecipes.com (trucker's buttermilk pancakes) and I loved the flavor...they just were thin! I am afraid if I just add flour that it's gonna alter the flavor and such.

Anyone have a recipe that they LOVE that makes them the way I want them? This is the FOURTH time since being preggo that I am just wanting pancakes like no other!

2 things

slightly thicker batter
and adjust the backing powder increase it a hair.

If you are willing to drive to Mackinaw City, Mi.....I can tell you where the very best, thick, fluffy, melt-in-your mouth pancakes can be found!:D:p(I know - that just makes things worse...sorry Kelly!)

I make mine from scratch... :D

ChefBeckyD said:
If you are willing to drive to Mackinaw City, Mi.....I can tell you where the very best, thick, fluffy, melt-in-your mouth pancakes can be found!:D:p

(I know - that just makes things worse...sorry Kelly!)

You suck. (kidding!) Too bad you couldn't wrangle that recipe from the restaurant while you were there!!

I LOVE getting pancakes out at restaurants....they always seem to have batter that you just can't make at home. Guess that's why I am looking for the recipe....so I don't have to go out and pay $5 for a plate of .50 pancakes!! TeeHee!

Well, I don't know how thick but fluffy, cause everyone's tastes are a bit different, but the Krusteaz pancake batter is like that. I don't love the flavor though. I personally love to make banana choc. chip pancakes. My kids gobble them up and tell everyone mine are the best. Ha, ha. I use Bisquick though, I'm a cheater. I do 2 heaping cups of bisquick, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk. Mix well, then add 1 very ripe mashed up banana. Mix well. Then add mini morsels to your hearts content. Then I do 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. They are so moist and yummy, I just eat them like a cookie, no syrup. I do put a little butter on though. :)

babywings76 said:
Well, I don't know how thick but fluffy, cause everyone's tastes are a bit different, but the Krusteaz pancake batter is like that.

I was just going to say Krusteaz for thick pancakes. My DH has to water them down, because they are too thick for him. We had them for dinner last night. Yum!

Hmmm....I don't buy bisquik...can't stand the flavor.

Maybe I will look for the Krusteaz mix.

Still hoping for a recipe I can do at home....(I am cheap, ahem...frugal!! lol)

Add lemon juice, if you don't already and make sure you add baking powder. It sizzles and somehow causes it to fluff!

The Good Eats pancake mix is EXCELLENT!! I don't have a link off the top of my head, but if you go to the food network site and search for pancakes and Good Eats you'll find it. It's a mix that makes 3 batches. Each batch uses several eggs and buttermilk to mix up - delish.

Thanks Kelly...I had to make pancakes for dinner...this thread got me craving them!
I usually make awful pancakes..but I just wanted them badly and only had bisquick in the house...YUM-O...I made the Melt in your Mouth Pancake recipe on the back of the box...they were good..I've never had IHOP...but these were the best pancakes I've ever made :) They were thick and fluffy ...hope you find a recipe you like...

pckrissy said:
Thanks Kelly...I had to make pancakes for dinner...this thread got me craving them!
I usually make awful pancakes..but I just wanted them badly and only had bisquick in the house...YUM-O...I made the Melt in your Mouth Pancake recipe on the back of the box...they were good..I've never had IHOP...but these were the best pancakes I've ever made :) They were thick and fluffy ...hope you find a recipe you like...

Thats what I make to is the bisquick melt in your mouth. I use Bisquick for everything.The strawberry shortcakes are to die for.

I make homemade waffle batter and use that to make great, thick, fluffy pancakes. Actually, we call them wafflecakes.

Whatever pancakes you make, before blending in the eggs, beat them until fluffy and then fold them into the batter. It will make your pancakes light and airy and YUM every time. Good thing about this is that you don't really have to change your favorite pancake recipe, just beat the eggs until fluffy!

Brandi (I am thinking it's you typing) thanks for the tip!

Rae...recipe please?

Ann...I will look into the Good Eats one, I LOVE Alton!!
(BTW- your new avatar had me confused for a couple of days...I didn't even realize it was you! I guess I look more at the avatar to "see" who it is than their name!! lol)

then once beaten--place in frig for- 10 minutes--

MORFIA said:
then once beaten--place in frig for- 10 minutes--

THANKS!

I need to start making notes and then test out these ideas!!

we are all driving over---

pancakes..... people really eat those??? YUK!! :) my daughter and I can't stand them and my DH and sons could eat them 3 meals a day

You might try whipping the egg yolks separately, incorporating those in the batter then whipping the egg whites until sort of stiff than folding them in the batter gently.

I think the trick is to incorporate air into your batter.

KellyTheChef said:
Rae...recipe please?

I use the Basic Waffles in Joy of Cooking. It has a nice, eggy taste. The guys like these without any topping at all. Here's the recipe:

Whisk together in large bowl:
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt​

Whisk together in another bowl:
8 T butter, melted
3 large eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 c milk​

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Gently whisk them together with a few swift strokes. (The batter should have a pebbled look, similar to a muffin batter.)

Our DS's friends all thought I was really weird, but I put part of the batter in a squeeze bottle so I can make faces, butterflies, etc. The last little dribbles of batter I use to make caterpillars (drops of batter that connect as they spread and plump). Caterpillars were DS's favorites. And, yes, I do that even when it's just The Furry Guy and me. Life's better with a bit of whimsy. :p

Great, now all I can think about is pancakes. Think I'll make some for breakfast.Oh, yeah, and these reheat really well. I usually reheat them in the toaster.

To get irresistably thick & fluffy, make the batter hours ahead / the night before. Use Your Batter Bowl With Lid! Put it in fridge then let get room temp - take out of fridge about 30 mins/1 hour before you cook it.

Some of the reason restaurant pancakes are so light is their batter has developed by being made and left alone for a while. You can bet that they don't whisk up a new batter just for you...

Another great option is the puff pancake - I think it's in an older Celebraitons cookbook, maybe in All The Best. It was on cover of a Season's Best about 10 years ago.

Oh, yeah, that puff pancake is great.

This is the Good Eats recipe I use."Instant" Pancake Mix
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (check expiration date first)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugarCombine all of the ingredients in a lidded container. Shake to mix.Use the mix within 3 months."INSTANT" PANCAKES
2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups "Instant" Pancake Mix, recipe above
1 stick butter, for greasing the pan
2 cups fresh fruit such as blueberries, if desiredHeat an electric griddle or frying pan to 350 degrees F. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.Whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together. Don't try to work all the lumps out.Check to see that the griddle is hot by placing a few drops of water onto to the griddle. The griddle is ready if the water dances across the surface.Lightly butter the griddle. Wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel. (No butter should be visible.)Gently ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle and sprinkle on fruit if desired. When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake and the griddle-side of the cake is golden, gently flip the pancakes. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.Serve immediately or remove to a towel-lined baking sheet and cover with a towel. Hold in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.Yield: 12 pancakes

I use Bisquick... then add in 1/2 cup sugar
2 tbs of baking powder
and some vanilla extract

THANKS EVERYONE!

DH may have to put up with pancakes for dinner tonight! heehee!

ththhavingaboy_afb.gif

Holy cow, looks like everyone has their own way. Kelly is going to gain like 50 lbs just from trying them all. I have no additional advice. I use Krusteez and really like them. My dad used to make them when I was younger that always had nice crispy crunchy edges and no matter what, I can never duplicate them.

wadesgirl said:
Holy cow, looks like everyone has their own way. Kelly is going to gain like 50 lbs just from trying them all. I have no additional advice. I use Krusteez and really like them. My dad used to make them when I was younger that always had nice crispy crunchy edges and no matter what, I can never duplicate them.

Crunchy edges...I may be able to help!

Be sure your griddle isn't too hot (or the butter will burn) but take a stick of butter and grease the griddle before each run of pancakes. It's the butter that crunches up the edges!

raebates said:
I use the Basic Waffles in Joy of Cooking. It has a nice, eggy taste. The guys like these without any topping at all. Here's the recipe:

Whisk together in large bowl:
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt​

Whisk together in another bowl:
8 T butter, melted
3 large eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 c milk​

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Gently whisk them together with a few swift strokes. (The batter should have a pebbled look, similar to a muffin batter.)

Our DS's friends all thought I was really weird, but I put part of the batter in a squeeze bottle so I can make faces, butterflies, etc. The last little dribbles of batter I use to make caterpillars (drops of batter that connect as they spread and plump). Caterpillars were DS's favorites. And, yes, I do that even when it's just The Furry Guy and me. Life's better with a bit of whimsy. :p

Thanks for the recipe Rae!
How come I am not surprised that you and TFG eat caterpillar pancakes together?!!?
I love ya!

I Want Pancakes Now!!! :cry: THAT"S ALL I CAN THINK OF! THANKS KELLY! :rolleyes::D

KellyTheChef said:
Crunchy edges...I may be able to help!

Be sure your griddle isn't too hot (or the butter will burn) but take a stick of butter and grease the griddle before each run of pancakes. It's the butter that crunches up the edges!

Yummm.... Crunchy edges. No matter what I do, I just cannot do it like my dad does!

smspamperedchef said:
I Want Pancakes Now!!! :cry: THAT"S ALL I CAN THINK OF! THANKS KELLY! :rolleyes::D

TeeHee! That's what happesn when you are preggo...you decide you MUST have something! I just knew that the last pancakes that I made weren't gonna "cut it" for my craving this time!

I had some at IHOP about a week ago...but I still want more, and now I want them just like that (thick and fluffy)

Make your kids eat them for dinner tonight! Cheap dinner!

Once You have mixed the batter- do three jumping jacks,two toe touches, and run around the block once. LOL You will be so tired an hungry you will forget that they aren't fluffy! Just had to say it... could help but be a little funny this morning

Hey Kelly! I agree with almost all of these tips! Last time I made pancakes, I used a mix and added extra vanilla, some cinnamon and extra baking powder, about 1-2 TBS spoons more! I read an article in Fine Cooking and they reccommended Rumford Baking Powder, so I went ahead and bought it and this was the first time I used it and when my hubby sat down to dinner, he said "dang, those pancakes are "HUGE!!" They were so fluffy!
The other thing I do when I make them from scratch is, I always add about 1/2 more Baking powder than they call for, and I seperate the eggs, and I beat the egg whites until stiff. Then I fold them in! I always add more vanilla and cinnamon than they call for, and I sometimes will add a little brown sugar too!
The last time when I made those pancakes from the mix, it was my DD's b-day, and I made them Chocolate chip pancakes with all that extra baking poweder and they were huge!
I think the person that told you that incorprating air, was right too, which is what the egg whites do, but if you don't feel like doing that, adding a GOOD baking powder will do the trick too!
Good luck! It's just the kids and I tonight, I think I might make pancakes! Breakfast for dinner is sooooo good!:thumbup::love::D;)

Last edited:
Make sure your baking powder isn't expired, too. Just because it's a new container doesn't mean it's good. I've seen cans of it at the grocery store that are past the best by date.

Cathy~

Where do you think I can find that baking powder? Normally I just shop at WalMart or the neighborhood grocery store... Does the different name brand make a difference? I would NEVER have guessed that for baking powder!

Ann~

Great tip! I am usually pretty anal about making sure my baking powder and soda are current and not expired. I check the exp date when buying it and ALWAYS buy 1-2 packages per year...since they seem to expire after opening...

I get Rumford non-aluminum baking powder at my local health food store - and I can get it in a small can or a regular size can. I get the small one, so I don't have to throw part of it away, and always know that my BP is fresh!

ChefBeckyD said:
I get Rumford non-aluminum baking powder at my local health food store - and I can get it in a small can or a regular size can. I get the small one, so I don't have to throw part of it away, and always know that my BP is fresh!

THANKS! I will look for that at our health food store!

KellyTheChef said:
Thanks for the recipe Rae!
How come I am not surprised that you and TFG eat caterpillar pancakes together?!!?
I love ya!

Love ya back! :love:

Caterpillars, butterflies, goofy faces--I get pretty creative. Our DS's friends would ask him why I did that. He would tell them, "Fun food tastes better." Well, that and, "My mom's kinda weird."

BTW, the wafflecakes were yummy. I actually adjust the recipe a bit. I add a touch of vanilla (PC, of course), and substitute 1/2 c spelt flour for 1/2 c of the all-purpose flour. It takes away a little of the fluffiness, but adds fiber and protein. It allows me to feel a bit less guilty about eating pancakes.

raebates said:
Love ya back! :love:

Caterpillars, butterflies, goofy faces--I get pretty creative. Our DS's friends would ask him why I did that. He would tell them, "Fun food tastes better." Well, that and, "My mom's kinda weird."

BTW, the wafflecakes were yummy. I actually adjust the recipe a bit. I add a touch of vanilla (PC, of course), and substitute 1/2 c spelt flour for 1/2 c of the all-purpose flour. It takes away a little of the fluffiness, but adds fiber and protein. It allows me to feel a bit less guilty about eating pancakes.

Thanks for that...I always add vanilla if it's not called for, and some sugar to help make them brown better....don't have spelt flour, though...I think I can do without it!;)

Thanks a lot Kelly!! Now my pregnant body wants thick fluffy pancakes too....*sigh*....it's off to the kitchen for me....I'll try KG's idea...mix them up now and see if I can live until morning!

jenne said:
Thanks a lot Kelly!! Now my pregnant body wants thick fluffy pancakes too....*sigh*....it's off to the kitchen for me....I'll try KG's idea...mix them up now and see if I can live until morning!

Jenny....how are your pancakes this morning??

BTW- when are you due?

http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/1226617200

So, I've pretty much read this entire thread (and now think I'll be making pancakes this weekend, with extra baking powder, and the eggs separated with the whites whipped until stiff, and letting the batter sit overnight), but I don't see anyone suggesting using the large bar pan? I've never tried this, but I've heard this also causes the pancake to be very fluffy. Has anyone here tried it?

Sarah

KellyTheChef said:

BTW- when are you due?

My pancakes were ok...although I have to admit that I didn't mix them up last night...I was too tired...so I found a recipe this morning called "fluffy pancakes" They were fluffy, but still not restaurant quality, so I won't bother you with the recipe...I'll try again another day. They did take care of the craving for the morning though!!

I am due January 11th...I just can't wait until I'm showing enough that I can claim all my leftovers from the other three as BABY!! :)

KellyTheChef said:

BTW- when are you due?

And how did your pancakes turn out? :p:D;)

1. What is the secret to making thick and fluffy pancakes?

The key to making thick and fluffy pancakes is to make sure that the batter is not overmixed. Overmixing the batter can cause the pancakes to become dense and flat. Mix the batter just until the dry ingredients are incorporated, leaving some small lumps in the batter.

2. Can I use a different type of flour to make thicker pancakes?

Yes, you can experiment with different types of flour to achieve the thickness you desire. However, keep in mind that different flours may alter the taste and texture of the pancakes. If using a different type of flour, start by replacing a small portion of the all-purpose flour in the recipe and adjust as needed.

3. How can I make my pancakes fluffier without altering the taste?

To make your pancakes fluffier without altering the taste, you can try adding a leavening agent such as baking powder or baking soda to the batter. These ingredients will help the pancakes rise and become fluffier.

4. Can I make the batter thicker by just adding more flour?

Adding more flour to the pancake batter can alter the taste and texture of the pancakes. It is best to follow a recipe that has been tested and proven to produce thick and fluffy pancakes. You can also adjust the consistency of the batter by adding a little more liquid (milk or water) if needed.

5. Are there any specific ingredients or techniques that can help me achieve thick and fluffy pancakes?

Yes, there are a few tips and tricks that can help you achieve thick and fluffy pancakes. Using buttermilk instead of regular milk can help make the pancakes fluffier. Letting the batter rest for a few minutes before cooking can also help the pancakes rise. Additionally, cooking the pancakes on a hot griddle or skillet and flipping them only once can help them stay thick and fluffy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • JAE
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies