• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Favorite Pancake Recipes - Scratch or Not

In summary, these pancakes are great with a variety of flavors and ingredients, but the Joy of Cooking recommends waiting to make them until the morning so they can be refrigerated or mixed the night before.
JAE
Do you have a favorite pancake recipe from scratch or boxed mix? My dh makes pancakes from scratch almost every Sunday night. He and oldest ds do it together. Tonight's were not so good IMO.:yuck: He's been trying to find a good recipe. He likes them thick, I like them light and fluffy. My kids just want a lot of sugar on top.

I would love to use whole wheat flour and hide veggies inside.

We would love to get your suggestions. Thanks!:chef:

My Favorite Recipe:This comes from Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone, by Deborah Madison. (This is a fantastic cookbook BTW - it really is for everyone, not just Vegs')Buttermilk Pancakes
1 1/2 Cups all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
1-3 Tbls. Sugar
Salt
1 teas. baking soda
2 teas. baking powder
1/4 teas. grated nutmeg
2 eggs
3 Tbls. melted butter, or oil
1 1/2 Cups buttermilk
1 teas. vanillaMix the dry ingredients in one bowl. In a 2nd bowl, beat the eggs, and add the the butter, buttermilk, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just enough to combine.For each pancake, drop 1/4 cup of batter (large scoop works great!) onto a nonstick griddle or skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook, without disturbing, until fine bubbles appear over the surface of the pancakes. Flip, and cook until browned on the other side, about 1 minute.WHOLE-WHEAT Pancakes - Use whole-wheat flout, 1 cup ww flour mixed with 1/2 cup wheat bran, or whole wheat pastry flour.PUMPKIN PANCAKES - Use 1 cup Buttermilk, and 1 cup Pumpkin. Add 1 1/2 teas. Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend to dry ingredients.
I make these all the time - and always use WW pastry flour. They are the best pancakes ever - other than the ones at Darrow's Restaurant in Mackinaw City - those are actually the best, but they don't give out the recipe....even to long time employees!:rolleyes:

Great cookbook! I have it too. :) Now I'll have to try the pancake recipe.The best from scratch pancakes use buttermilk. I have a great recipe, but it's downstairs and I'm too lazy to get it at the moment. :)

These pancakes also freeze well! I will often make a double batch, and after they cool, I freeze them in Glad Freezer Bags. Then DH & DS can have pancakes for breakfast in an instant. We love Pumpkin Pancakes!

And Deb - this is one of my most used "Go-To" cookbooks!:love:

HIJACK!!My fav recipe out of that book is a simple linguine and asparagus recipe with pine nuts. LOVE IT!!!!
Oh, and the fresh salad dressing recipe that uses dijon mustard---YUM!

Last edited:
Thanks Becky for the recipe. I was so excited when I saw that there were responses, and now I see it's been HIJACKED!

I'll wait for your (Deb) recipe later! :)

Now I want to try the pumpkin pancakes. YUM! :chef:

I'm looking for a good from scratch recipe too, so I'll be watching this thread...

My absolute favourite box kind is Hungry Jack (NOT the just add water). I think it is much better than everything else I've tried (used to be an Aunt Jemima fan). My DH loves to add cinnamon to the batter, YUM!

(For the record, it makes awful waffles! My fav. for waffles is actually bisquick, although from scratch with whisked egg whites are the BEST!)

I usually make what we call wafflecakes. I use the waffle recipe from The Joy of Cooking. It's really eggy, and my guys eat them without adding syrup or anything.

I don't think I've ever had pancakes from scratch! I usually use Krustez brand. They are really good. Their belgan waffle mix is good too.

Mixes for pancakesKrusteaz...been using that for 25 years.Another favorite is Morinaga Pancake Mix. Available in markets that sell Japanese foods. Makes a high, puffy, delicious flapjack.My all time fav is buckwheat pancakes...from scratch or mix.

How ironic that today's Joy of Cooking Calendar page is about pancakes and waffles. Here's what it says:There are three equally important things to control in producing pancakes and waffles: The consistency of your batter, the surface of your griddle, and the evenness of its heat. Mix the liquid ingredients quickly into the dry ingredients. Don't overbeat. Give just enough quick strokes with a whisk to barely moisten the dry ingredients. Ignore lumps. Superior results are gained with most pancake batters if they are mixed and rested, covered and refrigerated, for 3 to 6 hours or longer before cooking. The resting period does not apply to recipes that include separately beaten egg whites or to yeast-raised griddle cakes.

No matter what pancakes I make (scratch or a mix) I always add a few T. sugar and some vanilla and almond extract. YUM! The sugar helps them to brown nicely and the extracts give them a super flavor!

For some reason I CANNOT make pancakes taste right. I LOVE my moms and can have her there walking me through it and they still do not taste right. I do better with a premixed batter but they still do not taste great.

It puzzles me like crazy b/c I can cook most anything but they beat me everytime!:grumpy:

We had some at a Bed and Breakfast one time that were so light and fluffy I am suprised they did not float away. I found their recipe online but have never tried it.

Krustez... totally good pancakes whether you want them wafer thin or thick... and super good waffles... I love making things from scratch but these are so good I don't bother.

Ok, so I have to admit I bought something at the store yesterday that I can not believe I bought... and I liked it! It is called Organic Batter Blaster. It is pancake mix in a can! It looks like a can of whipped cream. It is organic, low fat, and Healthy. I thought it was a great idea so I could make my DS pancakes in the morning before preschool. I am not the type to whip up a batch for the two of us on weekdays. There was a gal demoing at the store yesterday, or I wouldn't have given it a second look.

How did they taste Shana? I have never seen anything like that!

CookingwithMary said:
Krusteaz...been using that for 25 years.

YES!! We love this brand - and they have an awesome Belgian Waffle Mix too! :love: :love:

I've tried these too

http://www.hodgsonmill.com/roi/673/Pancake-Mixes/

The Buckwheat and Whole Wheat - they're pretty good! They sell them at our local grocery store.

My dad used to make the best pancakes when I was growing up from regular Bisquik mix. I think he buttered the pan and it would make nice crunchy edges! I still cannot duplicate that.

I'm a diehard Bisquick fan. I make the "Melt-in-your-mouth" recipe on the box. Once I did that, I never went back. When I was pregnant with DS, I went through 2.5 of the big boxes of Bisquick because I craved them so much. I don't as much this time, but after this thread.....guess what I'm having for breakfast! ;)

KellyTheChef said:
How did they taste Shana? I have never seen anything like that!

I made some this morning, they are actually really good. Really light and fluffy too!
Wierd! I know.

Tanoi said:
I'm a diehard Bisquick fan. I make the "Melt-in-your-mouth" recipe on the box. Once I did that, I never went back. When I was pregnant with DS, I went through 2.5 of the big boxes of Bisquick because I craved them so much. I don't as much this time, but after this thread.....guess what I'm having for breakfast! ;)
I'm a big breakfast fan but DH won't let me make breakfast food for dinner (big thing when I was growing up) so I always have to wait for the weekends. Maybe I should try the old Bisquick recipe.

We are really cutting back our budget and I only have $75 per week to spend on groceries and HBA/paper goods. I think we will be having "breakfast for dinner" a lot!! LOL

I found a great recipe that was on allrecipes.com The are called Truckstop pancakes. They are awesome and make a ton. I make the whole recipe and then freeze the rest so the kids can have them at breakfast before school.

Hi there -- I've been making the Urban Peasant's (James Barber) pancakes every Sunday for years. The kids love them and they're my signature dish.

1 cup flour
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 single serving of yogurt (I like vanilla flavoured)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 TBSP oil

We love them!

This months Country Living magazine had a bunch of pancake & flavored butter recipes. Not sure if you can see them online but it's worth a shot.
strawberry butter YUMMY ! and I think the other one was Honey Orange butter
Country Living

Last edited:
nicki25 said:
I found a great recipe that was on allrecipes.com The are called Truckstop pancakes. They are awesome and make a ton. I make the whole recipe and then freeze the rest so the kids can have them at breakfast before school.

I just checked on there and I am DEFINATELY making these!!

Here's the link: Truck-Stop Buttermilk Pancakes - Allrecipes Check out all of the reviews!!

Guess what we had for dinner tonight? Couldn't think of what to make so I threw it out there. Mmmm... Krusteaz makes great pancakes.

I make breakfast for dinner all the time, luckily my husband likes it!! I use Aunt Jemima. I also like Bisquick though.

wadesgirl said:
Mmmm... Krusteaz makes great pancakes.

That is my favorite brand too! We get the big bag at Sam's, sometimes with blueberries. Yum! :chef:

Hey, thanks so much for all the great tips and ideas. I'll let dh know. Now if I could find some real maple syrup on sale. I'm done buying syrup made from high fructose corn syrup. I had a bunch of maple syrup in the cupboard, but it's time to stock up again. I think I'll make the blueberry sauce from the shortccakes recipe in the new SBRC. Good stuff!

The ultimate fluffy pancake: substitute seven-up or sprite for the water. It makes restaurant style pancakes. Really!

Re: Breakfast for dinner...one of my favorites meals too. Will be trying the TruckStop pancake recipe, thanks.
Also, DH loves hash brown potatoes, which turn out perfectly in the Exec pans!

I make awesome pancakes!!! Especially when I take the time to do them from scratch! I use a waffle recipe! I beat my egg whites and fold them into the pancake batter! It makes my pancakes soooo incredibly beautiful and fluffy! Yum... this thread is making me crave pancakes! :D

JAE said:
Hey, thanks so much for all the great tips and ideas. I'll let dh know. Now if I could find some real maple syrup on sale. I'm done buying syrup made from high fructose corn syrup. I had a bunch of maple syrup in the cupboard, but it's time to stock up again. I think I'll make the blueberry sauce from the shortccakes recipe in the new SBRC. Good stuff!

I buy real maple syrup at Costco - for you, probably Sams Club would be the best price. Also, watch, because Meijers brand often goes on sale....I used to be able to find it at Aldi's for a great price, but at least the one by me doesn't carry it any more.:cry: (I refuse to let HFCS in my house!)

I make a great "homemade" Blueberry Syrup. Take a couple cups of fresh or frozen blueberries, put them in a pan, and pour just enough maple syrup to not cover it, but just in line with it (so that the top layer isn't covered). Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a couple shakes of cinnamon plus. Heat on low until the blueberries have "popped". If you like it a little thicker, add a little cornstarch/water mixture to it, and boil for a minute or two. We like this over ice cream too!

nicki25 said:

If you still have any of the old PC Toaster Bags, they're great for heating up frozen pancakes. They don't get soggy like they sometimes do in the microwave.

JAE said:

That's one of the reasons I love living in New England. Real Vermont Maple Syrup all the time!!! :love:

Maybe see if you can buy it online. There's nothing like it!

I'm on a mission to cut out HFCS also!

ChefBeckyD said:
I buy real maple syrup at Costco - for you, probably Sams Club would be the best price. Also, watch, because Meijers brand often goes on sale....I used to be able to find it at Aldi's for a great price, but at least the one by me doesn't carry it any more.:cry: (I refuse to let HFCS in my house!)

I make a great "homemade" Blueberry Syrup. Take a couple cups of fresh or frozen blueberries, put them in a pan, and pour just enough maple syrup to not cover it, but just in line with it (so that the top layer isn't covered). Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a couple shakes of cinnamon plus. Heat on low until the blueberries have "popped". If you like it a little thicker, add a little cornstarch/water mixture to it, and boil for a minute or two. We like this over ice cream too!
That sound very good. I love blueberries!

We had Pumpkin Pancakes for Dinner this evening.:thumbup: :D

Love them!

What's HFCS?

CookingwithMary said:
Re: Breakfast for dinner...one of my favorites meals too.

Will be trying the TruckStop pancake recipe, thanks.
Also, DH loves hash brown potatoes, which turn out perfectly in the Exec pans!
My favorite is to go to Perkins around here and get the platter of pancakes, eggs, sausage, toast. Yummy, fast, filling, fun dinner!

HFCS: Had to figure it out myself: High Fruitose Corn Sryup.

kcjodih said:
What's HFCS?
Even though she was responding to my post, I had to think about that abbreviation, too. :)

This was my Grandma's recipe and I make them all the time...they are so yummy!!

2 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
4 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs
2 1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. oil

I just mix it all together and pour it on a hot griddle.

I better get all these ideas printed up for dh and make sure I have the ingredients before Sunday. We'll have to let everyone know the verdict.

JAE said:
Even though she was responding to my post, I had to think about that abbreviation, too. :)

HFCS - high fructose corn syrup
another one is PH&HO - partially hydrogentated and hydrogentated oils.

Sorry - I read alot of natural foods and health publications, and have gotten use to their lingo.......

Anyway - I try to stay away, as much as possible, from the above non-ingredients in food. I'm an obsessive label reader!

Just had to update you all with the pancake recipe. We've made Becky's pancake recipe a couple times at my house. Tonight, I made them with a few variations. I used whole wheat pastry flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, no salt because I forgot, and I didn't have buttermilk. I used vinegar with milk, but I don't have whole milk so I used about 1/3 cup of heavy whipping cream and skim milk to replace the buttermilk. I tasted a tiny bite w/o syrup and could tell the salt was missing.

I made a great blueberry sauce from All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips. It was so simple.

2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 T cornstarch
1/3 cup water

In 2 quart sauce pan, mix the sugar and cornstarch. Then slowly add the water. Add the blueberries. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until boiling. Boil for one minute, stirring occasionally. I boiled it for 1 more minute to thicken it up a little. Great for ice cream or cheesecake, too.

Last edited:
I always make homemade. I had the kind of cakes that just absorb all of the syrup and get mushy. This is my mother's recipe I don't know where she got it, we have been eating these on Sunday mornings ever since I can remember:

"Krauss Pancakes"

2C flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
2C milk
2Tbsp melted butter

Whisk dry ingredients together. Make a well and add the milk and eggs. Then add melted butter. Let stand 5 mins before using.

These are my kids' new favorite

Pumpkin Pancakes

2 C flour
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C milk
1 C pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 Tbsp veg oil
2 Tbsp white vinegar

In a separate bowl mix milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar.
Whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
Stir in pumkin mixture until just combined.
2 eggs

lockhartkitchen said:
The ultimate fluffy pancake: substitute seven-up or sprite for the water. It makes restaurant style pancakes. Really!

Seriously?!?!? is this an equal substitute, as in if it calls for 1 cup of milk or water use 1 cup of 7-up?

Sourdough pancakesThese are my favorite!

Sourdough pancakes:
The night before, combine
1/2 cup sourdough starter
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups water

8-12 hours later add:
1/2 cup water,
2T sugar
dash of cinnamon plus
1tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Mix until just combined. Don't mix too long or batter will give you tough pancakes...
cook on a hot griddle (with the executive cookware I don't even need any oil)

I also have a recipe for pancake batter made from whole grains of wheat soaked overnight and blended in the blender with water and egg... those are awesome and whole grain at it's finest! Let me get that one too...

<h2>1. What are the differences between making pancakes from scratch or using a boxed mix?</h2><p>When making pancakes from scratch, you have complete control over the ingredients and can customize the recipe to your liking. A boxed mix is more convenient and typically requires fewer ingredients, but may not have as much flavor or variety.</p><h2>2. Do you have a favorite pancake recipe from scratch or boxed mix?</h2><p>As an employee of Pampered Chef, I have access to a variety of delicious pancake recipes. However, my personal favorite is a from-scratch recipe that includes buttermilk for added flavor and fluffiness.</p><h2>3. How can I make my pancakes thicker or fluffier?</h2><p>To achieve thicker or fluffier pancakes, try adding a little more baking powder to your recipe. You can also separate the egg whites and beat them until stiff peaks form, then gently fold them into the batter for added lift.</p><h2>4. Is it possible to use whole wheat flour and hide vegetables in pancake batter?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to incorporate whole wheat flour and hide vegetables in pancake batter. You can substitute some or all of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, and blend cooked and pureed vegetables such as spinach, carrots, or sweet potato into the batter for added nutrition.</p><h2>5. Do you have any suggestions for making pancakes with less sugar?</h2><p>Instead of adding sugar to the batter, you can use natural sweeteners such as mashed bananas, applesauce, or honey. You can also try adding spices like cinnamon or nutmeg for added flavor without the added sugar. And for toppings, opt for fresh fruit or a drizzle of pure maple syrup instead of sugary syrups or toppings.</p>

1. What are the differences between making pancakes from scratch or using a boxed mix?

When making pancakes from scratch, you have complete control over the ingredients and can customize the recipe to your liking. A boxed mix is more convenient and typically requires fewer ingredients, but may not have as much flavor or variety.

2. Do you have a favorite pancake recipe from scratch or boxed mix?

As an employee of Pampered Chef, I have access to a variety of delicious pancake recipes. However, my personal favorite is a from-scratch recipe that includes buttermilk for added flavor and fluffiness.

3. How can I make my pancakes thicker or fluffier?

To achieve thicker or fluffier pancakes, try adding a little more baking powder to your recipe. You can also separate the egg whites and beat them until stiff peaks form, then gently fold them into the batter for added lift.

4. Is it possible to use whole wheat flour and hide vegetables in pancake batter?

Yes, it is possible to incorporate whole wheat flour and hide vegetables in pancake batter. You can substitute some or all of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, and blend cooked and pureed vegetables such as spinach, carrots, or sweet potato into the batter for added nutrition.

5. Do you have any suggestions for making pancakes with less sugar?

Instead of adding sugar to the batter, you can use natural sweeteners such as mashed bananas, applesauce, or honey. You can also try adding spices like cinnamon or nutmeg for added flavor without the added sugar. And for toppings, opt for fresh fruit or a drizzle of pure maple syrup instead of sugary syrups or toppings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AnnieBee
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • pampchefsarah
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • ChefJessica95765