• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fluffy and Delicious Sour Cream Pancakes Recipe from Vegetarian Cookbook

In summary, Pancakes sounded good for lunch today....and I had some sour cream I've been trying to figure out how to use up....so I took my very favorite pancake recipe, and replaced a cup of the buttermilk with a cup of sour cream. They were thick, fluffy, and delicious! We enjoyed them with Homemade Applesauce (apples fresh from the Orchard!) and Chicken Apple Sausage.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Pancakes sounded good for lunch today....and I had some sour cream I've been trying to figure out how to use up....so I took my very favorite pancake recipe, and replaced a cup of the buttermilk with a cup of sour cream. They were thick, fluffy, and delicious! We enjoyed them with Homemade Applesauce (apples fresh from the Orchard!) and Chicken Apple Sausage.

The recipe comes from Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone (by Deborah Madison) - this is a MUST for your cookbook collection - I love it and I'm not a vegetarian!

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 1/2 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1-3 Tbls. sugar
1 teas. baking soda
2 teas. baking powder
1/4 teas. grated nutmeg
2 eggs
3 Tbls. butter, melted, or oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 teas. vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl
Mix wet ingredients in another bowl

Pour wet into dry and mix just until combined.

Cook over med. heat on a nonstick griddle until bubbles appear, then flip and cook until browned on the other side.

Last edited:
Sounds yummy. I was thinking of pancakes for dinner today. Maybe I'll give this recipe a try.

raebates said:
Sounds yummy. I was thinking of pancakes for dinner today. Maybe I'll give this recipe a try.

Okay - just be aware that I had the wrong amount for Baking Powder!:eek:

Just fixed it!

Any substitutions for the whole wheat pastry flour, you know...like AP flour??

Good to know. I hadn't printed it out yet, so I'll be safe.

KellyTheChef said:
Any substitutions for the whole wheat pastry flour, you know...like AP flour??

You can use All-purpose...or a mixture of flours...whatever you have! I used a white whole grain flour today. I've used all different types for the flour.

Do you think this would be ok for someone that has Ciliac(sp?)

Ginger428 said:
Do you think this would be ok for someone that has Ciliac(sp?)

Not unless you have flours that are gluten-free.....and I don't know that it would work...I think you have to really modify the recipe when you use gluten-free ingredients -but if you are used to doing that, then it would probably work.

ChefBeckyD said:
Not unless you have flours that are gluten-free.....and I don't know that it would work...I think you have to really modify the recipe when you use gluten-free ingredients -but if you are used to doing that, then it would probably work.

oh I was confused, when I read WW Pastry Flour I thought it would be Gluten Free....:( I thought she just could not have white flour...Thanks!

Ginger428 said:
oh I was confused, when I read WW Pastry Flour I thought it would be Gluten Free....:( I thought she just could not have white flour...Thanks!

Anything with wheat in it will have gluten...what you have to look for is non-wheat flours....like rice flour, or some celiacs can tolerate oat flour...or other grains that can be made into flour.

Thanks for the Info Becky....:D

They sure were tasty. I used spelt flour so they were nice and nutty--just like us.

Ginger428 said:
Thanks for the Info Becky....:D

I have to say - I've cooked for a lot of people who have to be on special diets - but people with Celiac's are the hardest! You find out there is gluten in so many foods, condiments, and flavor enhancers. It's hard!
Is there someone in your family with Celiac's, Ginger?

ChefBeckyD said:
I have to say - I've cooked for a lot of people who have to be on special diets - but people with Celiac's are the hardest! You find out there is gluten in so many foods, condiments, and flavor enhancers. It's hard!
Is there someone in your family with Celiac's, Ginger?

No..a friends mom, but shes such a GREAT person that sometimes I'll be shopping & if I see something she can have I just buy it for her! They have a Farmers Market every Sunday & when I saw these risotto,spinach little appetizers I had to get her a pack & then the next week another package...:D I just love doing things like that...;)

Ginger, that is soooo sweet.

Becky, I wish we had buttermilk so we could try these pancakes. But, my dh is using a boxed mix. Convenience is nice.

JAE said:
Ginger, that is soooo sweet.

Becky, I wish we had buttermilk so we could try these pancakes. But, my dh is using a boxed mix. Convenience is nice.

She used sour cream instead of the buttermilk goofy! :)

I was going to make blueberry pancakes for supper tonight because I got some yummy baby blueberries from Trader Joes today- however I opted for home made corn chowder... (with BACON) :):chef:

This JUST remined me, today while I was food shopping, I was passing where they have the refridgerated puddings & whipped cream in cans....WELL I looked at a new Can & it was PANCAKES!!! In an aerated(sp?) can!!!:eek::eek::eek:. You use it like redi-whip, put it on your griddle or whatever you use & Viola!!! You have pancakes!! ;) no muss no fuss!! LOL...

Kitchen Diva said:
She used sour cream instead of the buttermilk goofy! :)

I was going to make blueberry pancakes for supper tonight because I got some yummy baby blueberries from Trader Joes today- however I opted for home made corn chowder... (with BACON) :):chef:
But she still used a 1/2 cup buttermilk. Are you trying to start an argument with me because there are no hot political threads going strong right now? :)

jae said:
but She Still Used A 1/2 Cup Buttermilk. Are You Trying To Start An Argument With Me Because There Are No Hot Political Threads Going Strong Right Now? :)

yikes!!! Lol:d:d:d

To make pretend buttermilk, add 1-3/4 tablespoons of cream of tartar to a cup of milk, or add a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes. In many baking recipes, you can also just use plain yogurt or sour cream instead of buttermilk.

I always "make" my buttermilk with the lemon juice or vinegar added to milk. It seems like whenever I have a recipe that calls for buttermilk, I have not planned ahead and don't have any on hand! Thankfully, that substitution almost always works for me!

ChefBeckyD said:
You can use All-purpose...or a mixture of flours...whatever you have! I used a white whole grain flour today. I've used all different types for the flour.

THANKS!

We just had pancakes for dinner the other night...maybe I need to make some of these for Evan in the morning and freeze all of the extras! (I am trying to get "ahead" for when the baby comes and I am way too busy to cook!)

Sound great - Just printed this and will try it out next weekend - well, DH will - I don't do breakfast! LOL

Actually, I used a cup of Sour Cream, and a little over 1/2 cup of milk with vinegar in it. I never have buttermilk on hand.

Oh - and Ginger - I bought some of that spray pancake stuff(hey - they said they were organic!), and they were NASTY! DS wouldn't even eat them. I thought it would be a quick breakfast for him...but he refused to touch them after the first bite. I ended up throwing away the rest of the can.

He's a little spoiled though, because I always make my pancakes from scratch. The recipe I posted is so versatile - I make them into pumpkin pancakes, banana nut pancakes, blueberry pancakes, applesauce spice pancakes....and it makes a big batch, so I freeze those, and that's what he gets for a quick breakfast.

Very Very Kewl!!!

ChefBeckyD said:
Actually, I used a cup of Sour Cream, and a little over 1/2 cup of milk with vinegar in it. I never have buttermilk on hand.

Oh - and Ginger - I bought some of that spray pancake stuff(hey - they said they were organic!), and they were NASTY! DS wouldn't even eat them. I thought it would be a quick breakfast for him...but he refused to touch them after the first bite. I ended up throwing away the rest of the can.

He's a little spoiled though, because I always make my pancakes from scratch. The recipe I posted is so versatile - I make them into pumpkin pancakes, banana nut pancakes, blueberry pancakes, applesauce spice pancakes....and it makes a big batch, so I freeze those, and that's what he gets for a quick breakfast.

How could I change that recipe to PUMPKIN pancakes? Sounds yummy!

KellyTheChef said:
How could I change that recipe to PUMPKIN pancakes? Sounds yummy!

Add 1 Cup pumpkin, and 3/4 cup buttermilk in place of the 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk. Cook them at a little lower temp....they are thicker, and they take more time to cook through. Oh - and I add about 1/2 teas. of cinnamon plus too.

JAE said:
But she still used a 1/2 cup buttermilk. Are you trying to start an argument with me because there are no hot political threads going strong right now? :)

Sorry- I missed that part! I was just all excited because I saw that the Great JAE made a boo-boo... sorry... going to crawl in my little hole now... :blushing:

I always have powdered buttermilk on hand. We don't drink buttermilk, so I never have the real stuff around. The powdered works well and keeps for a long time in the fridge.Becky, my DS is spoiled, too. He stayed the night with a friend when he was about 13. When he got home, he said, "I was all excited because they said we were having pancakes for breakfast. But, Mom, they were Bisquick!" He ate them politely, of course. Friends tell me his future wife will hate me. I tell them that he knows how to cook and to give great massages. She's gonna love me!

1. What is the source of the recipe?

The recipe comes from Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone by Deborah Madison.

2. How are the pancakes made fluffy and delicious?

The pancakes are made fluffy and delicious by replacing one cup of buttermilk with one cup of sour cream.

3. Can the recipe be modified for non-vegetarians?

Yes, the recipe can be modified for non-vegetarians by using chicken apple sausage as a topping.

4. Is there a recommended side dish for the pancakes?

Yes, the recipe suggests serving the pancakes with homemade applesauce made from fresh apples.

5. What type of flour is used in the recipe?

The recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour, but all-purpose flour can also be used as a substitute.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
CookinWithLynda
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
sharalam