• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Learned What Not to Say to a Potential Recruit!

In summary, the vendor at the Passion Party table told me that she makes three times what I do, and that her average show is $700. I told her that I am happy with my current business, and that I am not interested in selling her product.
Kate- YES!! for her husband to WEAR!!! I died, I just died. Then I found out that he wore pantyhose and women's underwear under his MILITARY UNIFORM everyday.... Okay, before anyone says anything, I know there are regs about this, but who checks on people's underwear anyway?

jentapp said:
I would think that their website would get FAR more business than people going to a show would create. Personally, I would DIE if anyone ever physically saw me buy 3/4 of the stuff they offer (maybe it's my "old age" showing itself). I would be far more willing to at least check out the inventory online in the privacy of my own home without any of my friends checking out any purchases I might make. I did notice that their website is on an auto-rotater so that a variety of consultants have a chance at getting a sale rather than just the same person all the time, which is nice.

Yes, the ones I have been to they take you to another room and you just come out with a bag, you don't have to let anyone know what you have ordered, unless you want to.

PoseyMom said:
Kate- YES!! for her husband to WEAR!!! I died, I just died. Then I found out that he wore pantyhose and women's underwear under his MILITARY UNIFORM everyday.... Okay, before anyone says anything, I know there are regs about this, but who checks on people's underwear anyway?

I would have definately not let anyone know what I ordered in this woman's case. Woah!

Hey, everyone deserves to feel pretty every now and then.

AJPratt said:
I was just imagining if I was walking along and dropped my crate of PP stuff. She said her shows are about $1800, which I just don't believe.

Actually, I believe this is possible.
I have been a hairstylist for 10 years. I would always have different parties (PC, PP, candles, whatever) and invite all the girls from the salon I worked at. I usually had 2 or 3 of them show up at candles or PC, but at passion, all 25 girls came and spent a ton of money each! It was crazy! The average person spent around $80!
For some reason, hairstylists are very outgoing and uninhabited. We don't care what other people think if we buy something considered 'not nice'! When you work with all girls, all subjects come up and sex is usually top of that list! :D

jaye said:
You want to talk about a limited market??? Good grief!!! Not everyone buys adult toys!!! But, who doesn't want to, need to, or have to cook for themselves or their families???? And who doesn't need to eat??? Good grief!!! :)
Jaye :)[/QUOTE

You'd be surprized! I think a lot more people are in to it than admit it! :D

This is funny: I JUST GOT invited to a PP show! Now, I need an adult to go with me, to supervise.

vangogirl said:
Actually, I believe this is possible.
I have been a hairstylist for 10 years. I would always have different parties (PC, PP, candles, whatever) and invite all the girls from the salon I worked at. I usually had 2 or 3 of them show up at candles or PC, but at passion, all 25 girls came and spent a ton of money each! It was crazy! The average person spent around $80!
For some reason, hairstylists are very outgoing and uninhabited. We don't care what other people think if we buy something considered 'not nice'! When you work with all girls, all subjects come up and sex is usually top of that list! :D
Maybe it is, but I don't believe anything this lady told me. I just didn't like the way she badmouthed PC, for no reason.

Christmas is coming Anne! Make sure you do ALL your shopping at the PP! LOL! Don't forget something FRILLY for Dave!

Everyone will get a little something special this year!

Obviously we Jennifer's (vangogirl) are on the same thought track, lol. I work in a factory and have been invited to many 'girl parties' or 'toy parties' as we call them, lol. There are quite a few people who won't admit it out loud, but then you see them at the shows and sometimes they come out with the biggest bags, lol, well, maybe not the biggest, the one with the biggest mouth in this case usually comes out with the biggest bag. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/rolleye0013.gif

And the ones who say they wouldn't go to something like that and get drug into it or whatever the case may be end up booking the next party like my friends, or become the consultants. The consultant that had been doing the last few shows I went to said that her sister tricked her into going to a party and that she had said she would not go to one of 'those parties' and she ended up being the one giving the parties?! So, don't let people fool you.

Anne will not be on as much after this party, lol, she will go get her some new things to keep her and dh busy.

Yep, everyone say goodbye to Anne! We won't be seeing her for a while!! :) :)

Hey, we're trying to make a baby overhere!

I just said I couldn't SELL it! Its not really my style, but you never know.

Oh, riiiiiiiiight..... never mind people! Anne is a responsible mother-to-be-soon so leave her alone! Keep it down, there's baby making going on there!!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/winking0026.gif She's gonna go and get her some naughties to try to get that baby factory on track, lol. Then she's gonna have so much fun gettin that factory up and running she's gonna start in the business, lmbo.

I can't believe that the girl from PP would make that much at a show. She must know people who like that kind of stuff. I have had a lot of people tell me that PC is a lot better company than any other. If you had to keep inventory what a headache and you would have to have a lot of space to keep it all. I am so glad that we are all with PC.
Anne, maybe you could do a naughty nightie show for her. (Ha Ha)

AJPratt said:
This is funny: I JUST GOT invited to a PP show! Now, I need an adult to go with me, to supervise.

What would you do if you arrived at the show to find it was the same consultant you started this thread about??? Wouldn't that be interesting!?!?!?!

You could say something like "you know how much I make, so I really can't spend that much" teehee...

Harrle said:
What would you do if you arrived at the show to find it was the same consultant you started this thread about??? Wouldn't that be interesting!?!?!?!
OMG I would laugh my butt off!!

Harrle said:
That had crossed my mind.

You would probably bloat her head larger than it already is if you showed up to one of her parties! Then she REALLY wouldn't get it that you aren't interested in joining her biz!

AJPratt said:
Maybe it is, but I don't believe anything this lady told me. I just didn't like the way she badmouthed PC, for no reason.
I understand that. I don't like when people bad mouth PC either, which is one reason why I don't like to bad mouth another company. Just think of it this way, usually, people bad mouth that which they don't know anything about! :D

I have a friend that does PP.... do you know they have to pay at LEAST $8 per person shipping and it has to go to consultant not host EVEN if the person pays for direct shipping? It may even run the consultant extra shipping if she didnt charge enough on the show. There are a LOT of things that they dont tell you... I asked. Not because I want to leave PC but I was curious.

How did I miss this thread until now??? I just cant imagine getting up in front of a bunch of people & holding up one of those "things" and selling it! Id much rather hold up a stone! I did a fair back in February and the lady across from we was selling PP and I had to stare at dildos and body oil for 6 hours!!! Some mighty embarassed women who took one look and turned their back and headed over to my booth!!!!

I did not know about the shipping charge...thats interesting...and crazy! Just another reason Im glad I sell PC.

I went to a "Slumber Party" after I got engaged. My husband's boss's boss's wife was the hostess and called to invite me. I had met her at a Pampered Chef party (she was the consultant) held by another boss's wife. Sure my husband (then fiance) was good friends with her husband, but to me she was just my Pampered Chef lady. Could you imagine calling a customer to invite them to a party with tingle creams, penis eraser pencils, vibrators and O rings? In all fairness to her I did have a great time at the PC party and laughed alot and even volunteered to use the chopper. Anyway, I thought it was an actual slumber party (nieve missionary that I was), because she mentioned it was for girls only. I thought it was weird these grown women getting together to have a sleep over. I had no idea it was sex related--thank God I had left my overnight bag in the car, could you imagine. I still blush at the thought of me thinking it was a girls sleep over. However truth be told, it was one of the funniest nights. The drinkers were toasted on Jello shots and shared hilariously personal stories. Everyone tried convincing me that I really needed items for when the honeymoon ended and that I needed things to take on my honeymoon for that first night. I left that party with funky creams and flavored lotions that I totally never even needed/ opened on my honeymoon. It was such a waste of money! The highlight was two friends arguing over buying the last vibrating p. ring for their husbands. I told my fiancee about the party and he said for weeks later it was hard looking at the o guys in the eyes. They all avoided eye contact and were totally shocked at how little they knew about eachother's sex lives until their women got together. They never even made fun of him about the choices we'd made to wait because they were soo embarrassed at the stories their wives told about only having sex once every two weeks and sometimes only once a month!! Can you believe that? Maybe some people need that kind of thing, but I think if it gets to that point there's underlying issues.

AJPratt said:
Me: "I think I can stand up in church and talk about my PC business. I couldn't do that with yours. And, all I carry is one crate, no heavier than a bag of groceries. But thanks anyway."

WOW. I got a good look at what NOT to do.

I LOVE that come back!!! and so true it is!!!

MGG said:
Maybe some people need that kind of thing, but I think if it gets to that point there's underlying issues.

I think that's a great point. Hey, whatever works for you, but right now, I am perfectly happy with the way things are!

Bumping this thread with the below story!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070531/ap_on_fe_st/odd_catholic_ultimatum;_ylt=AitXZRnTgP5_bxFZz7RnY4XtiBIF

Musician canned for focus on wrong organ
NEW FRANKEN, Wis. - A Catholic priest has removed his church's organist and choir director from her duties saying her sale of sex toys was not "consistent with Church teachings."

Linette Servais, 50, played the organ and sung with the choir for 35 years. Much of her work as choir director and organist was done without pay. When her parish priest asked to meet with her, she thought it was to say thank you.
Instead, she was told to quit her sales job with company known as Pure Romance or she would lose her position in the church.

Pure Romance in Loveland, Ohio, is a $60 million per year business that sells spa products and sex toys at homes parties attended by women. It has 15,000 consultants like Servais.

She said her decision was not hard: She began working with Pure Romance after a brain tumor and treatment left her sexually dysfunctional. The job allows her to help other women who have similar problems.

"After I got over the initial shock, I prayed over this a long time," she said. "I feel that Pure Romance is my ministry."

The Rev. Dean Dombroski felt differently, removing her from the choir loft just before Thanksgiving and gradually taking away other church duties. Servais can no longer take pictures during First Communion services or lead the committee planning St. Joseph's annual late-summer picnic.

Dombroski said he couldn't discuss the situation because it involves personnel. But in a letter to his rural congregation, he wrote: "Linette is a consultant for a firm which sells products of a sexual nature that are not consistent with Church teachings. Because parish leaders are expected to model the teaching of our faith ... she could stay on as the choir director/organist or she could continue to be a consultant but she could not do both."

Servais responded with her own three-page letter to church members, saying she felt compelled to help other women, especially those suffering from problems caused by cancer.

Many choir members quit in support, she said, and some have gathered at her home on occasional Thursdays to sing hymns.

"Father Dean made it sound so sinful," she said. "There is so much more to this business than toys."

Hmm. Bet that wouldn't have happened if she'd signed with PC.

Catholic church and sex toys... That is one affiliation the church could do without considering the sex scandals already in existance.

I feel really bad for her having to choose - I would never want to have to make that kind of decision, but I agree with the decision of the priest. While HER business is to help women, I doubt very many of the PR consultants could say that.

I just did a whopping cooking show of about $170 for a PP lady. She wasn't even there when I came to set up. Her husband and sister in laws ( 2 girls in there young 20s) were there. I had to ask them to get me the ingredients, cook the ground meat, etc. She showed up right at show time with her grandma who she went to get. No one else came. She had one online order from someone in another country who she will see in July, her grandma ordered and her husband placed a order on his own. She had like $600 on her wish list and bought maybe $20. She kept the show open an extra week and I dont think she got another order. Her house was filthy and the people that lived there were all pretty much white trash. I did get 2 bookings though. Go figure!

katie0128 said:
While HER business is to help women, I doubt very many of the PR consultants could say that.

OMG(osh) Anne, that's just too funny!

Katie....my thought was "While SHE began her business to help women (with sexual dysfunctions), I doubt very many of her customers were purchasing for that reason!!"

AJPratt said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070531/ap_on_fe_st/odd_catholic_ultimatum;_ylt=AitXZRnTgP5_bxFZz7RnY4XtiBIF
"I feel that Pure Romance is my ministry."

::::Thud::::::
now that's just F'ed up.

I have worked in churches in 3 different denominations (Catholic, Methodist and Presbyterian) and none of them would have tollerated my being a PP consultant (not that I would have ever considered it - ME???:eek: ).

If you are a leader or an employee in a church (or the PC lady in town, or president of a club, a mom, or a lot of other things for that matter) you are expected to behave in a "respectable" way and I can see where they would not consider selling sex toys as respectable no matter what your motivations were. Who you are and what you do is a reflection on your employer especially if it's a church whether one likes it or not.

Different strokes for different folks.

(I think I was channeling KG on that horrible double-entendre.)

chefann said:

bwaaahhhaahhahahaha - isn't that what they are all about!!!

Ok, it is too early for my mind to be in the gutter.........

chefann said:

You know he's going to stay away from this thread. LOL

I'm not sure how I feel about it... Just thinking "outloud": I can understand the church's position, but it isn't like she's the minister. People have lives outside of their church, and while PR might not be my thing, as long as she's doing an honest day's work, why should they care?

Sex is a part of life. If your parents didn't have sex, you wouldn't be here. It is not like she is choosing to sacrifice animals for the greater glory. She IS trying to help women. And this may be TMI, but, I have gone to one of these shows. I would never have one in my home because my husband would never leave the house and that is a state law. Anyway, onto the TMI. I was raised Catholic and have what I affectionately call a "sex filter" in my brain. I used to have a hard time enjoying sex with my HUSBAND until I felt a bit free-er after going to this party. I see nothing wrong with these products as long as you and your partner agree on how, when and with whom they are to be used. So, for those of us who are a bit inhibited with our bodies and didn't even know WHAT an orgasm was until we got married (and even then, it had to be explained to me - and I took honors Biology!) I applaud those who can do something like this. I would not ever be a consultant for this type of product because I am not comfortable with it. However, I am saddened by all of what I see as judgment in this thread. Sometimes I wonder what our society would be like if we showed more sensualness on the tv instead of violence. I guess that is why I like European tv better. They seem to have more of an open mind when it comes to sex. Not that I'm into taking other partners - I'm not - but SEX HAPPENS - IT HAS TO!!!

cmdtrgd said:
Sometimes I wonder what our society would be like if we showed more sensualness on the tv instead of violence.

WOW! Now that you mention it, I would be curious about that. I'm not catholic, so please don't anyone be offended by my thoughs as I admit I am ignorant to catholic beliefs, but I have always thought that the church was very clear on procreation and it seems to me that it should support a company like this, that it encourages a healthy relationship between husband and wife.

I think the biggest argument is that opponents think it is encouraging out-of-wedlock relations. And while some of the acts explained at these shows are out of my personal comfort zone, I'm also married with kids, so the only purpose for anything I may or may not buy at the show is for use WITH my husband. TMI, I'm sorry, but we are all adults.
I have a friend who sells a similar brand, and she cracks me up. She is young and has the notion that after 35 you no longer have a life I think. She was doing a party and mentioned that most of the guests were going to be "old hags, you know 45-50". I quickly let her know that, 1. women hit their prime later in life, and she still has ALOT to learn even if she thinks she is the expert, and 2. That women in that age bracket tend to have more disposable income than younger women, and she would be a fool to dismiss them. That the young 20-somethings may talk a big game, but don't have the $$$ to back it up.
And while she talks of big shows, and how much money she could make, I still don't see if being very profitable at this point. Especially with having to carry a large inventory.

AJPratt said:
WOW! Now that you mention it, I would be curious about that. I'm not catholic, so please don't anyone be offended by my thoughs as I admit I am ignorant to catholic beliefs, but I have always thought that the church was very clear on procreation and it seems to me that it should support a company like this, that it encourages a healthy relationship between husband and wife.

Sex (in the Catholic church and what I was raised with) is for procreation ONLY. Birth control was seen as bad, so when you have sex, you better be trying for a kid, and you better NOT enjoy it!

cmdtrgd said:
Sex (in the Catholic church and what I was raised with) is for procreation ONLY. Birth control was seen as bad, so when you have sex, you better be trying for a kid, and you better NOT enjoy it!
I had a post typed up that said basically the same thing, and then I deleted it. I think that it's this teaching that is the direct cause of her termination from the church staff.

(It's also one of the things I disagree with the church about, but that's a whole 'nother topic.)

AJPratt said:
You know he's going to stay away from this thread. LOL

I'm not sure how I feel about it... Just thinking "outloud": I can understand the church's position, but it isn't like she's the minister. People have lives outside of their church, and while PR might not be my thing, as long as she's doing an honest day's work, why should they care?

Many companies (and churches) have morality clauses in their contracts with employees. We've seen women kicked out of the armed service for posing nude in Playboy. Our church daycare had a policy that said they could fire you if you lived with someone or got pregnant out of wedlock. Every employer has the right to set the rules and if you don't like them or disagree, you are free to find work elsewhere. (I'm saying that as a statement of fact, not with a snotty tone...since you can't "hear" me say this :D )

I've been a pastor's wife for almost 23 years. Whether it's fair or not, people in ministry (whether it's in the pulpit, teaching the children, or leading the choir) are held to a higher standard that those people that sit in the pew. I know of churches that won't hire staff that have been divorced, that have unsecured debt, wive's that work outside the home, the list goes on and on. We've been lucky that we've only HEARD of these churches, have never had to deal with them :)

Hiring someone is different than keeping someone from volunteering. I mean, my gosh! She can't even be in the choir?!?

Wow that was a gutsy way to go about it!!

WOOO, hold on guys. I am not catholic anymore (grew up catholic), choose to be baptist in HS and then nondenominational in college and did some missionary work. The Catholic faith DOES believes in the timing method of birth control not in using foreign objects or hormones. They also have no set belief on not enjoying sex, but on keeping it pure and holy--within wedlock and no anal or oral. Oral is debatable depending on the denomination and church.
I agree with the pastor's decision, if she's a leader be it voluntary or not she is for that time representing the church. I mostly think his decision was not because the toys may promote sex out of wedlock, but more likely because a huge percentage of the toys are for the purpose of masturbation. Big no no according to the Catholic church.

FYI--Just informing. My personal beliefs are pretty much anything within marriage is OK, but some places are for exit only--thank God my husband agrees-no anal thank you very much! Now growing up Catholic it was a BIG deal to be married in white (and not white b/c it's your first wedding). I just grew up with super strict teachings--no premarital sex and don't even think of coming home pregnant!! I was actually scared to tell my parents I was pregnant with our first child even though at the time we had been married over a year. I was shocked that they were happy for us!

Last edited:
Like I said in my above post, that was how I grew up. The congregation, priests, parents and physical location have a lot to do with what is taught and how. I grew up in the south where Catholics were die hard.It doesn't matter why (in my opinion) she was asked to leave. I sort of agree with her not being in a position of influence but not with how that was done. Also, to keep someone from singing in the choir is ludicrous! That's like saying "I'm sorry, you're different so God won't accept your prayers".

pampered1224 said:
Go for the new Covered Baker. That would be very difficult to break but extremely handsome with a wonderful cassarole in it!
As for the PP thing. Just that scares me! (PP - PeePee! Funny the nicknames are the same!) I actually met someone too who does that. I made the mistake of asking that one questions. Guys? Well, she just about shoved one of the darn "things" in my face and said that was a wonderful idea. I have to admit, I hang with a few kinky people who would love that stuff but geez! But I mean a few. So where else do you go? Could you imagine a pic of a big ole, well, you know, on the grocery store bulletin board or even on the BB at work! Plus a fact I don't think I could keep a straight, pun intended, face through a demo! And how do you demo? Could you even talk about what to do with those things? Oh my, I am embarassing myself just thinking about it! YYYEEEWWWW!

Way to Go Anne!

Maybe it could be an instructional demo, full of all sorts of useful tips.

Being a military wife, these parties are wonderful. It never fails, when a ship leaves for deployment (gone for at least 6 months) 1 wife holds a show shortly after...The last one was over $2000 in sales. Then a wife from the ship holds a party about 1 month before the ship comes home so they can buy products to show off when the spouse gets back...They are also high shows.

I used to sell these products but with a different company. I didn't mind showing them off. It was actually kind of fun watching the girls go crazy. I really didn't make a profit off of it so I quit. (I wasn't real good at booking parties because I was lazy)

Most of these types of companies do not send the consultant a ck. What happens is, you have the party, then order what you didn't have at say 65% of the cost in the catalog. The other 35% the consultant keeps. And I only had a few bags of stuff I carried around, enough room to bring lots of goodies.

And the person who mentioned this is correct. When you place your order you are taken into another room where no one can hear you. Then your items are placed in a brown bag, stapled, so noone can see what you brought.

I did throw one a few years ago and did invite my mom. She, and the others, had a blast!! She raised my sis and I not to be ashamed of ourselves. And was very open about anything asked of her. (of course, age appropiate answers)

Lisa: Thanks for your valued insight! I guess when you choose a life of ministry, there are sacrifices. I currently work at an "at will" company, which means they can do ANYTHING they want to me and as long as I stay, it means I am "OK" with it. Sheez.

Kate: I see what you're saying. With attendance and volunteerism down, I was surprised that they asked, what I would consider to be a very dedicated member, to leave the church.

naekelsey: I do think there is a market for this for sure.

John: OMG!! I just read your post... ROTFLMAO

Wow.... I belong to a Catholic church and those women are constantly having those kind of Parties! I just don't think it is a big deal anyway. I love going to those parties. Mind you I haven't bought "Toys" at them (ha ha ha... im sure you really believe me) But I love those kamsutra powders and lotions and massage oils and those neat things that get hot that you can give massages with ..... sooooo nice.
I do think that Canadians tend to be a little more laid back about those things though (what with all the beer swillin, hockey watchin going on around here), not sure if that is good or bad, but seems like in the case of religion, they seem a lot more "Old School" in some other countries.
I think old school religions take on sexuality is that the Husband gets what he needs and its almost as if the wife CANNOT enjoy sex. Like it is wrong for a woman to enjoy sex. But we are no longer anyones property, we have the right to vote, to speak, and to enjoy sex, and if we want to buy (or sell) toys to have a little extra enjoyment with our hubbies or have "relations with ourselves" (lol), it doesn't hurt anyone.

This is one thread that if you are gone from it very long it takes some very interesting detours ... not that I've noticed a clearly marked road or anything to stray from ... so i don't feel really guilty bringing this up in here ... (gotta go where the people are, ya know?)

Anyway, does anyone have the Deep Dish Baker and actually use it to cook in - not just the tenderloin and chicken? I'd like to do a roast, but need to know how to do it. Am thinking regular oven ...

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pcjenr
  • kittychef
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
dkitten13
  • chefgirlrd
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies