• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Don't Wanna Do This Cooking Show!

In summary, you are meeting a coworker's family and friends for a PC cooking show. You are very unfamiliar with PC cooking and have not been to a PC cooking show before. The more you think about it, the more stressed you are getting. The hostess mentioned a possible theme party, but you don't know if it's a focused on one product (trifle bowl) or type of cooking (grill). The more you think about it, the more jealous you feel of the coworker. You are also considering postponing the show.
SusanPC
Generally I am a confident, assertive person. I am freaking out at the moment, though, and most of you will probably not understand why. I have a coworker who is VERY familiar with PC, and has been to many parties. She lives a bit out from where we work and apparently she and her family and friends sort of rotate having parties every few months. She wants me to come to her house for a cooking show. I should be really happy that she made this offer, right, as it sounds like these people love PC and will buy.

BUT (and this will sound crazy) I have never been to a PC cooking show!! The PC items I have purchased were strictly from a catalog. As a brand-new consultant, I have had two "practice" cooking shows with a small group of family/friends, but I really have no idea what these people are used to, and would be willing to bet it wasn't much like what I did with the ones I've done because of my (goofy, very close) relationship with my attendees.

The more I think about it, the more stressed I am getting. The hostess mentioned "maybe a theme party" but I can't get any more out of her. I don't know if she means focused on one product (trifle bowl) or a type of cooking (grill). I was also asking if she had gone to an interactive party or more of the demo type and again couldn't quite get an answer. A lot of "whatever" and "I don't really remember".

She also mentioned that she had been considering selling PC but couldn't quite take the plunge, and I get a bit of a vibe of, I don't know -- jealousy or competition maybe? She isn't a horrible person, but I think she would be fine with standing by and watching me make a fool of myself.

Maybe postponing it a bit until I am more comfortable with my presentation?

Help! :eek:

Don't postpone. Go and be yourself. Have a good time. Practice your recipe ahead of time. If you are doing the interactive show, now is a perfect time to explain to them that most consultants are changing up the way shows are done. Jump in and do it. You will be great. If anything, others will realize that they can do your job. You'll probably recruit really easily. Please update us on what you decided and how the show goes.

The reason you're dreading this show is, in fact, the very reason you should do the show.They want you to do well and they will help you do well.GO FOR IT!
s1gyahoo.gif

Don't postpone! You will feel this way your first few shows no matter who is having them! Go do your best, get your feet wet! Chances are you'll suprise yourself!
GOOD LUCK!!!!

I completely understand, as I am sort of the same situation. I have never asked my inlaws to host a show as they are a very tough group to belong to. They called me a few weeks ago and asked me to do a show for them. I accepted but am nervous and stressed about it (I have been doing shows for over a year!). I sent their invites out with the wrong day of the week and they called me on it. But like KG said~ Do the show and try not to stress about it. That is the only way we will get over the fear! We both can do this.
smileycheer1.gif

i agree with what everyone has posted....and will add that maybe this is an opportunity to recruit! her seeing you, a newbie, do a fun show may be the push she needs to get into the business...and YOU will get the credit! your director will take over with her training etc, and you will have the recruit you need to earn the travel incentive!

i have done shows with PC virgins and PC veterans, and the vets are a lot less work and more fun. they will sell each other the products and be THRILLED with the new format.

have a blast!

Do an interactive demo! They get everyone involved and some of the pressure will be relieved!!

Do the show. At my shows I let them know that I am new & that my party might be a little different than the ones they have gone to in the past. People always understand when someone is new that you aren't going to be like the "seasoned" consultant they have seen in the past. I still get real nervous but I tell myself I can only do my best. All my parties have been real nice b/c I am new & they understand that & I have rec'd great feedback - even though I think of several things I wish I had done different or remembered to say.

Why any host would lik to see anyone fall on their face is way beyound me... but I like to assume the best of people. She may not be jeleous or competative as much as she may be curious if someone she knows personally can do it. It is one thing for some people to see a stranger do a show as opposed to seeing a friend. My point is, she may be your first recruit! The guests are so familiar with the products, I would have your host come up a few times and tell about the products(what she likes) give her a feel of standing there doing a show... you could even make that a game-- best product explainer gets a prize... they all know the products and will sell to each other! Let the guests get involved-- I'm with Vanessa! The more they do, the more your host will think "I can do that!"...

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
Why any host would lik to see anyone fall on their face is way beyound me... but I like to assume the best of people. She may not be jeleous or competative as much as she may be curious if someone she knows personally can do it. It is one thing for some people to see a stranger do a show as opposed to seeing a friend. My point is, she may be your first recruit! The guests are so familiar with the products, I would have your host come up a few times and tell about the products(what she likes) give her a feel of standing there doing a show... you could even make that a game-- best product explainer gets a prize... they all know the products and will sell to each other! Let the guests get involved-- I'm with Vanessa! The more they do, the more your host will think "I can do that!"...

I totally agree! She has been hesitant to join, but she may think "wow, if she can do it, then maybe so can I!"

Here's an idea... you can play "Are you smarter than the PC consultant?" - especially with a group of vets who have been to many shows... tell them you heard that they are great fans of PC so you thought you'd play a little trivia! Put some questions on index cards or tie them into products... ie. hold up the food chopper - does anyone remember what this *used* to look like? Which of these products used to be a PC product - super swat, mega mop, Nifty Knife?

Really, you can never go wrong as long as you talk about the products you love... it's genuine and heartfelt, and people will see that.

If they know it's one of your first shows, they will understand! Read The Pampered Chef book. Doris almost turned around and went home before her first show. Could you have imagined what would have happened if she did?

Plan itI was very nervous when I first started out in Sept of last year. Now, it's soooo much easier. It will get better.

But I wanted to share that when I did my first few shows I actually wrote out a script for the presentation parts. I didn't read it verbatim, but it was comforting to know that I could refer to it when I got lost or tongue-tied. I printed it in a large font 14 or 16 so I could read it easily and told the guests I was new at this and wanted to make sure I remembered to tell them all of the great features of our products. It really made me feel better! Now, I don't use notes at all, so you will get the hang of it, but initially you might want to consider it.

I also did games at my first shows to make sure it was "fun" for the guests. I was really afraid of being boring. I did "Have it, Love it" where they call that out and whoever says it first you throw them a piece of candy. Person with the most pieces of candy (or wrappers!) gets the prize. My prizes were from the dollar store - muffin mixes, candles, and chip clips. This was before I had a lot of PC items. People didn't seem to care, they just wanted the PRIZE.

I have also done PC bingo where they write down what they think you'll talk about in your demo (fun for those who've been to a lot of PC parties, but takes a long time at the top end for them to write out bingo cards.) There are a lot of other great games in the files here, that might make you feel better.

Now, with the interactive format, I just do a door prize, and give a prize if they bring a friend, but starting out, it made me feel like I had enough planned to keep the guests happy.

Hope this helps.

SusanPC said:
Generally I am a confident, assertive person. I am freaking out at the moment, though, and most of you will probably not understand why. I have a coworker who is VERY familiar with PC, and has been to many parties. She lives a bit out from where we work and apparently she and her family and friends sort of rotate having parties every few months. She wants me to come to her house for a cooking show. I should be really happy that she made this offer, right, as it sounds like these people love PC and will buy.

BUT (and this will sound crazy) I have never been to a PC cooking show!! The PC items I have purchased were strictly from a catalog. As a brand-new consultant, I have had two "practice" cooking shows with a small group of family/friends, but I really have no idea what these people are used to, and would be willing to bet it wasn't much like what I did with the ones I've done because of my (goofy, very close) relationship with my attendees.

The more I think about it, the more stressed I am getting. The hostess mentioned "maybe a theme party" but I can't get any more out of her. I don't know if she means focused on one product (trifle bowl) or a type of cooking (grill). I was also asking if she had gone to an interactive party or more of the demo type and again couldn't quite get an answer. A lot of "whatever" and "I don't really remember".

She also mentioned that she had been considering selling PC but couldn't quite take the plunge, and I get a bit of a vibe of, I don't know -- jealousy or competition maybe? She isn't a horrible person, but I think she would be fine with standing by and watching me make a fool of myself.

Maybe postponing it a bit until I am more comfortable with my presentation?

Help! :eek:

I was the same way with my 2nd show - I had only attended 1, and my first was with 3 people all family, and this show consisted of customers who LIVE in their kitchen ALL PC, 1 guest was an ex consultant. But they all loved me and said I did a very good job and the look forward to doing it again. Dont sweat it, just go for it!

One of my 1st 6 shows (had to have 6 to qualify then) was with a former consultant. When I signed, I had never been to a show & didn't even own any PC products. I was pretty nervous but things went well. She even answered some questions I didnt' know.

Are there any other consultants nearby whose shows you could go to and watch? That might help you a little bit.

The interactive format will help you out big time here! Even these seasoned guests wont expect it! It will be new and fun for them! At my second show there was a "past consultant". Once I found that out I was petrified! After-all, she knew exactly what I was "SUPPOSED" to be doing. Once I made myself get over the fear I was just fine, we all had a blast! She booked a show of her own, she now books off from herself every 6 months in March and September and rocks out $1,000 shows! Not to mention all of the leads I have gotten from her! YOU CAN DO THIS!

My Way..Well can you go to your directors show? Just too see what it is suppose to be like, and video tape it and the try to do your own at home i did my first pretend interactive show with my mom, she stood in in the kitchen and i asked her to do all the work we did that twice then i knew what i was suppose to do, i wrote out the directions and the i knew what came next and with what product. I like it.. here is one of my formats, with one pot pasta. you can see how i do it.

Attachments

• CREAMY ONE POT PASTA.doc
    21 KB · Views: 338
I am so glad you posted this.

My first show is the end of April at a co-workers house. We are good friends and I have been to her house several times for other types of shows so I know some of the people that will be there. To be honest - I would rather do it in front of a bunch of strangers.

To add to it -my friend told me that they used to have a consultant that was soooooooooooooooo much fun and they used to just book parties off of each other. Yeah - like that doesn't put the preasure on.

She too has no idea what type of show she wants to do. I know one of her party attendees and she is pretty miserable and loves to bring a room down...lol. I have had nightmares about what she is going to do at the party.

I just decided this weekend that I am just going to go in and do my thing, be myself, and do the best that I can - not much else I can do.

Best of luck - hopefully we will both have great outcomes.

soinlove808 said:
Well can you go to your directors show? Just too see what it is suppose to be like, and video tape it and the try to do your own at home i did my first pretend interactive show with my mom, she stood in in the kitchen and i asked her to do all the work we did that twice then i knew what i was suppose to do, i wrote out the directions and the i knew what came next and with what product. I like it.. here is one of my formats, with one pot pasta. you can see how i do it.

This is sort of what I had in mind except I didn't think about distributing the items ahead of time. Great idea!

ARA in PA said:
...To be honest - I would rather do it in front of a bunch of strangers.

To add to it -my friend told me that they used to have a consultant that was soooooooooooooooo much fun and they used to just book parties off of each other. Yeah - like that doesn't put the preasure on.

She too has no idea what type of show she wants to do. I know one of her party attendees and she is pretty miserable and loves to bring a room down...lol. I have had nightmares about what she is going to do at the party.

I just decided this weekend that I am just going to go in and do my thing, be myself, and do the best that I can - not much else I can do.

Best of luck - hopefully we will both have great outcomes.

It sounds like you know precisely how I feel. I feel like one of those "self-affirmation" people -- "I AM a good person. People DO like me. . ." which (I like to believe) is true. Best of luck to you, too! :)

Thanks to ALL of you!I'm feeling a little better. I'll be darned (pardon my French ;) ) if I'm going to make myself crazy worrying about this. I have a good knowledge of the products, I interact well with people and I'll try my best. Knowing that I am new if someone chooses to be picky or difficult then that really is their problem.

My main problem is that I talk too fast. People tell me this all the time. I think they just process information too slowly :p but in all seriousness I will need to slow down. Moving a bit slower will also make it easier to not forget to make a point or skip an important step.

I need to decide on what to make and just practice 'til I'm comfortable. And definitely make some notes to help me during the show.

Thanks again so much. I really appreciate the support and encouragement on this forum. :chef:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The reason you're dreading this show is, in fact, the very reason you should do the show.

They want you to do well and they will help you do well.

GO FOR IT!
s1gyahoo.gif

DITTO! GO FOR IT! :D

Do you still get the video/dvd in your kit of a "standard" cooking show, that uses the tools in your kit?
I had only had one show before I joined and had never been to another one, but I watched that video over and over and wrote down alot of tips, watched it for how the consultant did things, etc.
An interactive show might be a little too much for a consultant who's never done a show, but I think a "regular" show will really get your feet wet! Or, can you go watch a show that your director or someone in your cluster is going to do? That might be something to think about as well..

Good luck! It will all be fine!!!

I did a show for a coworker and she basically told me that they "fired" their last consultant because she wasn't fun... This was about my 7th show and they were seasoned PC customers. I was really nervous but I just told them at the beginning that I was new and still working out the kinks - made my mess ups easier to handle because I could joke about it. I wouldn't worry about what kind of show they are used to... do your own thing and if they say anything say you have never been to a show but just love to show the product off!

Gently snipped:

" I know one of her party attendees and she is pretty miserable and loves to bring a room down...lol. I have had nightmares about what she is going to do at the party."

So did I! Not her lol, a similar person at a March party.:yuck: Lot of history with this person, from another group. Was shaking in my boots, expecting the worse, then remembered my customer service training from another field.

Maybe this will help?

Kill 'em with kindness (if you can remember not to just kill 'em!):eek:

Agree with the person on (even minor) some point, then go on!

My person is very noisy/aggressive/bordering on Rude.
She started talking about her mother had a Revere Ware set that lasted for 30 years and is still going strong.

I segued that into "YES! You understand the concept perfectly! :D Good cookware- like PC S/S and No Stick - is a wonderful investment.

Let me read you our features and guarantee--then flipped to the catalog. (I always mark the 4 main product lines with a post it, saves my nerves). She did shut up during the reading.

Then she moaned about the sugar level in drinks...I pulled out a chilled bottle of San Peligrino from the fridge and served her in a new tumbler.

Agreed again, YES! Some of us can't deal with processed sugar or other products for a variety of reasons. You get the special glass :) (the others had disposable plastic cups). Oh, and I served her:rolleyes: ...without crashing the bottle on her head lol...

Me: That's why this Cran Razz fizz is made with whole fruit sorbet, San Peligrino water and chilled juice with no HF corn syrup, and fresh limes :)

Would you believe, she tried the fizz and pronounced it good?

Then She admitted the baked brie was good but was too expensive to make. Wanted to know the cost...which I estimated. Segued into Hosting a show is easy...$15 credit for food etc etc.

Bottom line, do the show! :p

With all good wishes,

Hi all!

A couple of people on here mentioned the host not knowing what she wants to do for the show. If you really want to reduce the stress, you decide what will be made at the show.

As a new Consultant, you should be focusing on the new Consultant recipes. Need a theme show, tell her you will do Italian Night and make the Three Cheese Garden Pizza. Want a dessert theme? Go with the Strawberry Amaretto Pastries. Finally, want an Easy Appetizer theme show? Go with the Elegant Artichoke Cups. This way you have the words all put on cards for you. This will make the show so much easier for you.

The very successful Consultants I know offer one recipe a month. That way they pack their bags at the beginning of the month and just need the same products all month long.

Simplify your business and watch it soar. The hosts with whom you are working and the guests are watching to see if your job is hard to do. If you make it simple and they see it as simple, you are much more likely to recruit them.

Ya, I one old crappy pot from before i was a consultant and show the differences between, but i put everything in the pots and pass them around, and tell them to pick something that they are thinking about getting, or that they would like to use, but they can not already have the item, and then thats what they get to use, it is so much fun

Did you do the show yet?

I just had a very similiar experience. My hostess is a friend. She booked at the show that I hosted because she liked the consultant. I then decided to become a consultant and the booking was given to me to help qualify. I was very nervous that she would reject letting me do the show. She had already made so many comments about how important it is to have a consultant who knows the product and has experience and good sales tactics. I was shocked when she was eager to accept me as the consultant.

To alleviate having to worry about making errors, I let the guests do all the work. (And I do mean ALL the work.) I handed out recipe cards that I had printed which included a photo of the final product. Then I would have different guests come up to do each segment. We made the Taco Ring. No, it didn't look perfect, but no one complained because it was the guests who had technically made the meal! :)

She was expecting 6, maybe 7 people. 17 showed up! Her sales were $918.00 It was a WONDERFUL start!

I was my very first show as the consultant, so I failed to ask the first few guests during checkout about hosting a show or becoming a consultant. :blushing: When I remembered, I only had 5 people left. Two of those five booked shows that night. :D

When I call the other guests to verify that their orders arrived, I plan to hit them up for hosting and/or becoming a consultant.

Oh, I also gave everyone a blank piece of paper to do a "wish list" as we talked about different tools. They could write down what they liked. When they were doing their order forms, they marked off what they bought. The remaining items I entered into P3 so I can let them know when those items go on sale (or become the host special). Seeing wish lists with multiple items tells me that those people might be more inclined to host a show. ;) I ordered the PC wish lists now so I can use real ones vs. blank pieces of paper. Hopefully they will arrive before my next show on the May 3rd. If not, I'll probably do up something cute on my computer.

What is "I Don't Wanna Do This Cooking Show!"?

"I Don't Wanna Do This Cooking Show!" is a virtual cooking show offered by Pampered Chef. It is designed to make cooking and meal prep easier and more fun, even for those who do not enjoy cooking.

How does "I Don't Wanna Do This Cooking Show!" work?

The show is hosted by a Pampered Chef consultant who will guide you through simple and delicious recipes using Pampered Chef products. You can watch and follow along from the comfort of your own home.

Do I need any special equipment for "I Don't Wanna Do This Cooking Show!"?

No, you do not need any special equipment. The consultant will provide a list of common kitchen tools and ingredients needed for each recipe. You can also purchase any necessary Pampered Chef products from the consultant.

Can I customize the recipes in "I Don't Wanna Do This Cooking Show!"?

Yes, the recipes can be customized to fit your dietary needs and preferences. The consultant can provide alternative ingredient options or you can make substitutions based on your own preferences.

How long is "I Don't Wanna Do This Cooking Show!"?

The show typically lasts around 30-45 minutes, but may vary depending on the recipes being prepared. You can also ask the consultant any questions or for additional tips during the show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ccmahaffey
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Boomerjojo
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • esavvymom